Trump Encourages GOP Crowd to Boo US Women's Soccer Team

It's not as one-sided as you seem to think. Lots of viewers see it differently, and would be turned off if the teams/leagues/etc cracked down on the protesters.

Or maybe if they didn't insert their political views in the first place, they'd make everybody happy.

Think of how stupid it is. You are an entertainer. As such, you rely on people seeing you to make your money. You take a political position one way or the other. About a third don't care because they don't care about politics, another third will approve because they agree with your politics, and the final third you piss off. How Fn stupid is that? These are the people that create your salary!

So now ratings are suffering in just about every entertainment avenue. The last stupid awards show had the worst ratings ever. No, you are not going to piss everybody off, but enough people to impact whatever industry your in. Keep your politics to yourself and everybody is happy.

Or maybe if they didn't insert their political views in the first place, they'd make everybody happy.

Think of how stupid it is. You are an entertainer. As such, you rely on people seeing you to make your money. You take a political position one way or the other. About a third don't care because they don't care about politics, another third will approve because they agree with your politics, and the final third you piss off. How Fn stupid is that? These are the people that create your salary!

So now ratings are suffering in just about every entertainment avenue. The last stupid awards show had the worst ratings ever. No, you are not going to piss everybody off, but enough people to impact whatever industry your in. Keep your politics to yourself and everybody is happy.
In the past the talk shows and others would have been cancelled for the horrendous ratings. We pay for it with cable and other services with these people making good money. So the stage is set for their politics. And a lot of it is false. Repubs need to being TV reform of some type.

Not for me. My freedom of speech is fully intact, whether I'm "on the clock" or not. I can say whatever I want at work and, as long as I'm not arrested, my freedom of speech is preserved. My boss can fire me, of course, if he doesn't like what I have to say. That's his right. That's how rights work.
Sure, those are called consequences.

Maybe. But they have to deal with the athletes as well. They're putting on the show. If they refuse to perform, there's no show.
If they are making a political shit show out of an athletic event, there is no show either. No big deal, I'm not watching anyway. They can do whatever they want, when the $$$ dries up, they'll be working like the rest of us.

In the past the talk shows and others would have been cancelled for the horrendous ratings. We pay for it with cable and other services with these people making good money. So the stage is set for their politics. And a lot of it is false. Repubs need to being TV reform of some type.

That may be, but they still all rely on advertising. Most of the time when you look at a baseball or football field, you're looking at a bunch of multi-millionaires playing kids games. They are not getting that money from cable or satellite viewers.

Maybe. But they have to deal with the athletes as well. They're putting on the show. If they refuse to perform, there's no show.

That's why it should be the league that steps in. If you are a star pitcher, where else can you go and make that kind of money than MLB? If you are a good receiver, where are you going to go other than the NFL and be nearly as successful?

If an athlete wants to lose tens of millions of dollars because he can't protest in any way, I say go for it buddy. They will find somebody else to take your place; maybe not with your abilities and talent, but the next best thing.

So when you join MLB, NFL, NBL, it's in your contract to keep your politics and all opinions outside of the sport to yourself.

Hey.....you're the one that brought up the resistance by Republicans against this phony dog and pony show of the investigation committee, not me. I was just responding to your statement.

I don't think it was petty at all of President Trump to say what he did about these anti-Americans. He was spot on. Don't support them, and root for them to lose. When they take a knee, turn their back on our flag, do you think they are supporting us? Of course not. They are trying to embarrass us. So why would Trump not say what he said? I agree with him 100%.
I only changed the subject to make a point.
You can disagree with things going on in the US and still love your country and be proud to represent it.
Group-think patriotism allows no room for improvement.

Wow.. Trump is such a pig. Do his people stand for this crap?

July 25, 2021 Trump Corruption, Trump Lies

NBC Sports reports:

The Tokyo Olympics crossed over with a Donald Trump rally Saturday night, as the former president encouraged a hyped-up Phoenix crowd to boo the U.S. Women’s soccer team. “Wokeism makes you lose,” Trump said, according to a video of the speech posted to Twitter by Turning Point officials.

“The U.S. Women’s soccer team is a very good example of what’s going on,” he continued, shaking his head with a smirk as the crowd booed loudly.

“Earlier this week they unexpected lost to Sweden three to nothing and Americans were happy about it,” he said, a line that drew laughs and cheers – enough for Trump to quickly add “you proved that point before I even said it.”

Continued

And this is wrong?

And I disagree. I admire their efforts. :) - but again, that's how freedom works.

"Efforts"? THEY KNEELED.
I only changed the subject to make a point.
You can disagree with things going on in the US and still love your country and be proud to represent it.
Group-think patriotism allows no room for improvement.

What do you mean, "group think patriotism"?

Patriotism is love of country. Group is kind of part of that.

"Efforts"? THEY KNEELED.

What do you mean, "group think patriotism"?

Patriotism is love of country. Group is kind of part of that.
You can't be patriotic and still disagree with things going on in your country?

Granted, but the world stage is not the place to show your disagreement. Those actions do nothing beneficial for the country. It is not done to make things better--it is done to get 15 min. of fame. Saluting the flag shows pride--Acting like a petulant child shows immaturity.

Granted, but the world stage is not the place to show your disagreement. Those actions do nothing beneficial for the country. It is not done to make things better--it is done to get 15 min. of fame. Saluting the flag shows pride--Acting like a petulant child shows immaturity.
The petulant child is the subject of the OP.
He was snubbed by Rapinoe and has never got over it.

Wow.. Trump is such a pig. Do his people stand for this crap?

July 25, 2021 Trump Corruption, Trump Lies

NBC Sports reports:

The Tokyo Olympics crossed over with a Donald Trump rally Saturday night, as the former president encouraged a hyped-up Phoenix crowd to boo the U.S. Women’s soccer team. “Wokeism makes you lose,” Trump said, according to a video of the speech posted to Twitter by Turning Point officials.

“The U.S. Women’s soccer team is a very good example of what’s going on,” he continued, shaking his head with a smirk as the crowd booed loudly.

“Earlier this week they unexpected lost to Sweden three to nothing and Americans were happy about it,” he said, a line that drew laughs and cheers – enough for Trump to quickly add “you proved that point before I even said it.”

Continued

Because they are no longer Americans.

Your implied argument is that you can't be patriotic and show disagreement with your country.

"Disagreement with your country"?

I think you are conflating "country" with "government".

When one shows respect or Patriotism to a symbol of the COUNTRY, one is NOT making any statement of agreement with any GOVERNMENT or GOVERNMENT policy.

The FLAG, and the National Anthem are not symbols of the GOVERNMENT, but of the COUNTRY.

The Kneelers are not showing disagreement with a government, or a government policy, they are showing and have repeatedly stated, that they are refusing to show respect or loyalty to the NATION.

You cannot both love and not love the country at the same time. Either you are Patriotic or you are NOT.

Forum List

Back