Trump calls on fed to weaken the dollar. Yes, weaken.

Currencies manipulated = bad.
Taxing 70% for rich=good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except that since the wealthy can get themselves paid in stock dividends, they typically only pay the 15% capital gains rate.
The wealthy know all the loopholes and how to use them, so they do not pay much in taxes.

WTF, that's not a loophole, and that same "loophole" is available to everyone.

And they shouldn’t be punished for being successful, or made to fund everyone.

The more successful you are, the more the system has benefited you.
It is easy to be successful if you have enough capital to work with.
But without starting capital, it is impossible to succeed.

Except that since the wealthy can get themselves paid in stock dividends, they typically only pay the 15% capital gains rate.
The wealthy know all the loopholes and how to use them, so they do not pay much in taxes.

No, that is silly.
You have to be a top exec or on the board of directors to be able to get yourself paid in stock options or dividends instead of a cash salary.
No ordinary worker is allowed to do that.
The only way the IRS will let you do that is if you are an investor in the company, and not just an employee.

So we've gone from stock dividends to stock options?

My intent was to write options originally, but dividends also are only available to the wealthy, who have purchased stock.
So most people can not get their income taxed at the 15% capital gains rates that the wealthy can.

Which is where I jumped in, before you changed your mind, dividends are available to everyone.

Dividends are quite small usually, like 3% or so, so it would have a huge amount of stock in order to support yourself on dividends. So only the very wealthy can do that.

No, that is silly.
You have to be a top exec or on the board of directors to be able to get yourself paid in stock options or dividends instead of a cash salary.
The only way the IRS will let you do that is if you are an investor in the company, and not just an employee.

My intent was to write options originally, but dividends also are only available to the wealthy, who have purchased stock.
So most people can not get their income taxed at the 15% capital gains rates that the wealthy can.

You don't have to be wealthy to buy stock.

But you have to be very wealthy to be able to buy enough stock for the small dividends they pay out, to support you.

No, that is silly.

I took stock options as part of my pay package quite often, Rigby. Many companies offer them to their employees...all their employees...not just the top executives or those on the board of directors.

The reason you were offered and accepted stock options, is to avoid taxes.
But most people are not offered them, and they have to buy them, with the company just matching the amount you buy.
That is because the company wants your investment money.
That can pay off a decade later, if the options go up enough, but a CEO, other executive, or board member, can have their entire compensation as stock options.
But you were offered non-qualifying stock options.
The kind I am referring to are called incentive stock options.
That way they do not pay social security, unemployment, etc. There is no FICA on these stock options.

Here is an explanation:
The Difference in Taxation of Employee Stock Options - NQs and ISOs
{...
Taxation of incentive stock options
Unlike non-qualified stock options, gain on incentive stock options is not subject to payroll taxes. However it is, of course, subject to tax, and it is a preference item for the AMT (alternative minimum tax) calculation.

When you exercise an incentive stock option there are a few different tax possibilities:

You exercise the incentive stock options and sell the stock within the same calendar year: In this case, you pay tax on the difference between the market price at sale and the grant price at your ordinary income tax rate.

You exercise the incentive stock options but hold the stock: In this situation the difference between the grant price and the market price then becomes an AMT preference item, so exercising incentive stock options might mean you’ll pay AMT (alternative minimum tax). You can get a credit for excess AMT tax paid, but it may take many years to use up this credit. If you hold the shares for one year from your exercise date (two years from the grant date of the option) then the difference between grant price and market price when you sell the options is taxed as long-term gain rather than ordinary income, and if your ordinary tax rate exceeds your AMT tax rate you may get to use some of the previously accumulated AMT credit.

For high-income earners, holding the stock for the required time period can mean paying tax on the gain at 15% versus 35%. However, there are risks to this strategy that must be carefully evaluated.

Tax rules can be complex. A good tax professional and/or financial planner can help you estimate the taxes, show you how much you'll have after all taxes are paid, and provide guidance on ways to time the exercise of your options to pay the least tax possible.
...}

Not being a CEO or that wealthy, I have never done it myself, but I know those who are wealthy and have.
In fact, that is the main reason why companies like Intel hire a lot of contractors instead of regular employees.
Contractors do not get benefits or paid unemployment, so they make your stock look better, making options more valuable.

My "goal" is to have a level playing field. My "goal" is to make them play at least a bit fair. The Chinese don't do that at the moment. They manipulate their currency. They steal intellectual property from the west and use it with impunity. All Trump is doing is telling them ENOUGH! It's something all Americans should be behind.
American farmers agree with you.

No, that is silly.

You don't have to be wealthy to buy stock.

But you have to be very wealthy to be able to buy enough stock for the small dividends they pay out, to support you.

I agree, you were wrong to say only the rich can benefit from dividends or a 15% cap gains tax rate.

No, that is silly.

I took stock options as part of my pay package quite often, Rigby. Many companies offer them to their employees...all their employees...not just the top executives or those on the board of directors.

But most people are not offered them, and they have to buy them, with the company just matching the amount you buy.
That is because the company wants your investment money.
That can pay off a decade later, if the options go up enough, but a CEO, other executive, or board member, can have their entire compensation as stock options.
But you were offered non-qualifying stock options.
The kind I am referring to are called incentive stock options.
That way they do not pay social security, unemployment, etc. There is no FICA on these stock options.

Here is an explanation:
The Difference in Taxation of Employee Stock Options - NQs and ISOs
{...
Taxation of incentive stock options
Unlike non-qualified stock options, gain on incentive stock options is not subject to payroll taxes. However it is, of course, subject to tax, and it is a preference item for the AMT (alternative minimum tax) calculation.

When you exercise an incentive stock option there are a few different tax possibilities:

You exercise the incentive stock options and sell the stock within the same calendar year: In this case, you pay tax on the difference between the market price at sale and the grant price at your ordinary income tax rate.

You exercise the incentive stock options but hold the stock: In this situation the difference between the grant price and the market price then becomes an AMT preference item, so exercising incentive stock options might mean you’ll pay AMT (alternative minimum tax). You can get a credit for excess AMT tax paid, but it may take many years to use up this credit. If you hold the shares for one year from your exercise date (two years from the grant date of the option) then the difference between grant price and market price when you sell the options is taxed as long-term gain rather than ordinary income, and if your ordinary tax rate exceeds your AMT tax rate you may get to use some of the previously accumulated AMT credit.

For high-income earners, holding the stock for the required time period can mean paying tax on the gain at 15% versus 35%. However, there are risks to this strategy that must be carefully evaluated.

Tax rules can be complex. A good tax professional and/or financial planner can help you estimate the taxes, show you how much you'll have after all taxes are paid, and provide guidance on ways to time the exercise of your options to pay the least tax possible.
...}

Not being a CEO or that wealthy, I have never done it myself, but I know those who are wealthy and have.
In fact, that is the main reason why companies like Intel hire a lot of contractors instead of regular employees.
Contractors do not get benefits or paid unemployment, so they make your stock look better, making options more valuable.

Options don't avoid taxes.

Can you imagine how repubs would react if Obama had suggested something so retarded? Hell, you could write an entire book on the double standard of Obama and Trump called “If Obama had done that..”

Trump presses Fed to weaken dollar

Leave it to republicans to blindly defend this shit like anything he does.
your reaction proves your ignorance
proves you haven't a clue what a weak dollar does
it makes American produced products overseas cheaper there for increasing exports increasing jobs here in America
a weaker dollar also makes vacationing in America cheaper there for attracting more tourist
You better start producing a whole lot of crap real quick because the price of imports is going to go up as well.
A weak dollar is going to pinch the working man.
as import prices increase demands for American made increase creating American jobs
but here you are arguing against that happening it's why its undeniable you liberals hate America
I heard you the first time.

It's not that I hate America. Let's be clear, I was against you neo-liberals when you were defending the move of American business overseas in the first place. For the same reasons that you cry about now. You are a day late and a dollar short. It was the left who took to the streets and protested the WTO in 1999. It's the left who historically defends the working man.

It is those same motivations that now compel me to point out that devaluing the dollar is going to have a negative impact on the American working person, who, by and large, does not work in manufacturing. And who, by and large, relies on cheap goods.

It's not that I hate America, it's that I am working with the hand you rubes dealt me.

Why would Wall Street reinvest in American manufacturing which can't possibly compete globally when it could more easily borrow cheap (devalued) money here and invest it in foreign currencies?

Did you learn nothing from the capitalist class moving manufacturing to low wage countries. They don't really care about American jobs. They just tell you they do so you will go along.

It's already been noted. He complained about China doing it but here he is wanting us to do it again.

How is Trump's stance on China manipulating it's currency in any way hypocritical? Because he's threatening to do to them what they have been doing to us for decades? Bill Clinton, Chuck Schumer and Mitt Romney all accused the Chinese of being currency manipulators. Are THEY hypocrites as well?

We have been doing it for decades so it's hypocritical to condemn another country doing the same.

You really know nothing about what's been taking place between the US and China...do you?

You continue to say this but never point out where I am wrong.

You really need me to point out that you don't know what a weak dollar does...you don't know the history of currency manipulation by the Chinese...and you don't know what Trump's stance has been on currency manipulation by the Chinese for quite some time?

Why are you even here in this string? It's obvious that you don't know anything about this topic. Yes, I get it that you hate Trump. Therefore because Trump wants to do something...you automatically think it must be "wrong"! Would you like to take a crack at explaining why it wasn't wrong when it happened on Obama's watch? Why it wasn't wrong when Bill Clinton accused the Chinese of the same thing that Trump has accused them of?

It's wrong when Trump wants to do the very thing he condemns others for doing.

He wants to weaken America, We have all known this all along.

The Left is really going Full Retard nowadays, with all due respect to Tardo-Americans. Weakening the dollar is monetary policy- which may be called for at certain times, as a dollar that is too strong discourages tourism as well as exports.

It has nothing to do with "weakening the country", regardless of what liberals are saying

Which is fine, just don't condemn others when they do the same. This even goes beyond Trump. We as a country seem to have a habit of condemning countries for things we abuse more than any other country.

Can you imagine how repubs would react if Obama had suggested something so retarded? Hell, you could write an entire book on the double standard of Obama and Trump called “If Obama had done that..”

If China weakens its currency then their products are cheaper around the world. If we weaken the value of our currency than US products will be cheaper around the world. Basic economics.

If China weakens its currency then their products are cheaper around the world. If we weaken the value of our currency than US products will be cheaper around the world. Basic economics.

And any country should be able to do what they see is in their best interest?

We run an import deficit. We import more than we export. A weak dollar is a tax on US because imported products cost more

How is Trump's stance on China manipulating it's currency in any way hypocritical? Because he's threatening to do to them what they have been doing to us for decades? Bill Clinton, Chuck Schumer and Mitt Romney all accused the Chinese of being currency manipulators. Are THEY hypocrites as well?

We have been doing it for decades so it's hypocritical to condemn another country doing the same.

You really know nothing about what's been taking place between the US and China...do you?

You really need me to point out that you don't know what a weak dollar does...you don't know the history of currency manipulation by the Chinese...and you don't know what Trump's stance has been on currency manipulation by the Chinese for quite some time?

Why are you even here in this string? It's obvious that you don't know anything about this topic. Yes, I get it that you hate Trump. Therefore because Trump wants to do something...you automatically think it must be "wrong"! Would you like to take a crack at explaining why it wasn't wrong when it happened on Obama's watch? Why it wasn't wrong when Bill Clinton accused the Chinese of the same thing that Trump has accused them of?

When someone repeatedly punches you in the face...the quickest way to make them stop doing so is to punch them back. What you can't seem to grasp is that Trump isn't doing this without cause. The Chinese have been punching us in the face for decades. Trump is the first US President with the backbone to tell the Chinese that we will be punching them back if they continue to do so.

When someone repeatedly punches you in the face...the quickest way to make them stop doing so is to punch them back. What you can't seem to grasp is that Trump isn't doing this without cause. The Chinese have been punching us in the face for decades. Trump is the first US President with the backbone to tell the Chinese that we will be punching them back if they continue to do so.

We loved China when all they represented was cheap labor with little oversight. Business is just pissed now that their deals selling out the country are now coming back to bite them.

your reaction proves your ignorance
proves you haven't a clue what a weak dollar does
it makes American produced products overseas cheaper there for increasing exports increasing jobs here in America
a weaker dollar also makes vacationing in America cheaper there for attracting more tourist
You better start producing a whole lot of crap real quick because the price of imports is going to go up as well.
A weak dollar is going to pinch the working man.
as import prices increase demands for American made increase creating American jobs
but here you are arguing against that happening it's why its undeniable you liberals hate America
They never met a tax on business they didn’t like until trump levied one. Problem is he levied a tax they don’t understand. Which is clear as crystal every time they discuss it.
it only increases on corporations that outsourced their production overseas it helps companies that stayed and produced their product in America
I know what tariffs are and what they do. I don’t learn my economics from the television I read books

The fed weakened the dollar under Obama more than they ever did in history. You do realize that anytime the rate is cut it weakens the currency? Is there fucking ANYTHING you idiots understand about economics?
Obama didn’t tell them to do it you moron.
What the fuck does that have to do with the price of pussy in Thailand? Your point was that republicans didn’t care when the dollar was weakened under Obama and you made yourself look like a fucking retard. Aren’t you tired of that at this point?

There are many ways to devalue the dollars.
What Obama used was quantitative easing, which means printing more currency.
Which is done by the Federal Reserves, and not the president explicitly.
But it was Obama who asked the Fed to do it.
But Trump is intending to do it explicitly instead.
You are ridiculously retarded. The president doesn’t have any power or authority whatsoever to change the money supply, devalue the currency, what have you. Holy shit you people are the stupidest people on the planet I swear to god.

Forum List

Back