Tow No! The Ford F-150 Lightning Struggled in Our Towing Test

Depends.
Modern diesel locomotives are electric - they just don't use batteries.
If your electric motors aren't dependent on batteries, they're fine for towing.

Correct, they use a generator to power them, and only because of that are they efficient.

Battery power is what lowers the efficiency.

Correct, they use a generator to power them, and only because of that are they efficient.
Battery power is what lowers the efficiency.
Seems to me the problem is capacity more so that efficiency. I don't know how much you lose in the battery, but when you only have 80kWh, you only have 80kWh.

I've got a 2011 6.7 Powerstroke and I've never had any real problems with it. I'd rather travel in it than in our car and it gets nearly as good mileage--I cringe when I look at the per gallon price of diesel though.

That's the first gen 6.7. That one was a nightmare.

How many miles do you have on it? Here is mine all shiny and clean. A 2001 XLT with the 7.3 and an aftermarket chrome grille.

Attachments

• IMG_20201015_164857.jpg
    IMG_20201015_164857.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Loud? That 6.7 (assuming his truck is 2011 or later) is VERY quiet compared to MY F250 diesel. I've got the old 7.3. That thing SOUNDS like a diesel. You can hear me coming from a mile away. But my truck has 250000 miles on it and it purrs like a kitten.

In fact my 7.3 is arguably louder than the Cummins X15 in my Peterbilt.
No one will ever be able to put 250,000 miles on an EV without replacing virtually everything on it. It's a vehicle you get to buy twice.

That's the first gen 6.7. That one was a nightmare.
I am aware it was the first year. I have heard more horror stories about the 6.0 and the 6.4. It was the 7.3 that made me decide that I wanted a Powerstroke. I have not had an ounce of problem with it and figure I'll have it for many more years. I bought it new a bit over 12 years ago and I've gotten 150K trouble free miles so far. Knock on wood. LOL

I am aware it was the first year. I have heard more horror stories about the 6.0 and the 6.4. It was the 7.3 that made me decide that I wanted a Powerstroke. I have not had an ounce of problem with it and figure I'll have it for many more years. I bought it new a bit over 12 years ago and I've gotten 150K trouble free miles so far. Knock on wood. LOL

Oh the 6.0 and 6.4 were awful, but the first gen 6.7 had tons of issues. It takes a company time to work the bugs out of a piece of machinery. You never buy the first year something comes out or else you buy all the issues that come with the first year of a product.

Good luck with it.

Oh the 6.0 and 6.4 were awful, but the first gen 6.7 had tons of issues. It takes a company time to work the bugs out of a piece of machinery. You never buy the first year something comes out or else you buy all the issues that come with the first year of a product.

Good luck with it.
There has been two recalls--one was a software update that increased the HP, the other has to do with the intake manifold--but they have extended the warranty on that one. I have been a Ford owner for forty years now as well as friends with a career Ford engine guy and another career Ford transmission mechanic. I am fully aware of first year problems. Not my first rodeo.

Forum List

Back