Top 5 Sporting Cartridges

I'm surprised that the .30.30 still makes the cut. Maybe it's a sense of tradition.
It is there because it WORKS, and the rifles are handy in the woods.

I killed my first 8 point with a 94 Winchester in .30/30.

My favorites: .300 Win. Mag, for long, open deer stands.

.30-06, for all around hunting.

7x57, for all around hunting and meat deer.

Had bad luck with a .270, so gave it away, though it is virtually identical to the 7x57 ballistically.

I'd add a .35 Whelen, for "primitive" season, but, use the .44 Mag then.

I'd like to have a .375 H&H for shits and giggles, as a hog gun.

Some of these fuckers look like rhinos.

No .243 ? I love mine.

That round is a screamer ... With a .411 coefficient, 3100 Fps (up to 3406 in the Weatherby) muzzle velocity and only a 0.8" (0.6" with the Weatherby) drop at 150 yards. Not as expensive either ... And great for shooting coyotes.

Last edited:
No .243 ? I love mine.

That round is a screamer ... With a .411 coefficient, 3100 Fps (up to 3406 in the Weatherby) muzzle velocity and only a 0.8" (0.6" with the Weatherby) drop at 150 yards. Not as expensive either ... And great for shooting coyotes.

I know all that.

I have seen 250 lb bucks shot in the shoulder, and the bullet blew before getting to vitals, and the deer had to be shot again.

I would use it only with 100 Grain Nosler Partitions.

But, shot placement is the key.

A bad hit is a bad hit.

No .243 ? I love mine.

I know all that.

I have seen 250 lb bucks shot in the shoulder, and the bullet blew before getting to vitals, and the deer had to be shot again.

A bad hit is a bad hit.

I have never used it on deer ... Not even the white-tails we have here.
Now coyotes, hogs (sometimes), wild dogs, raccoons, oposum ... That's a different story.

I use a good old Winchester 30/30 for deer ... But around here you aren't shooting more than 100 yards unless hunting a pipeline or you are really industrious about clearing the underbrush in the lanes.

Last edited:
Lot's of sporting shooting to do besides deer and as has been said----a well placed shot will drop a deer nicely.

No .243 ? I love mine.

I know all that.

A bad hit is a bad hit.

Now coyotes, hogs (sometimes), wild dogs, raccoons, oposum ... That's a different story.

I use a good old Winchester 30/30 for deer ... But around here you aren't shooting more than 100 yards unless hunting a pipeline or you are really industrious about clearing the underbrush in the lanes.

I have a friend who used a .243 on deer for a while. He had a bad shoulder injury years ago and is quite sensitive to recoil. Now he uses a .257 and says he likes it better. But he was (and is) very particular about shot placement.

The one I am surprised didn't make the list is the .22 lr. I think it is one of the most used and loved cartridges of all time.

No .243 ? I love mine.

I know all that.

A bad hit is a bad hit.

I have a friend who used a .243 on deer for a while. He had a bad shoulder injury years ago and is quite sensitive to recoil. Now he uses a .257 and says he likes it better. But he was (and is) very particular about shot placement.
Best deer hunter I ever knew used a .22 Hornet.

Shot them below the ear, or did not shoot.

That said, he had his own 2,000 acres, and, TIME.

The one I am surprised didn't make the list is the .22 lr. I think it is one of the most used and loved cartridges of all time.

I love they come in the 550 round milk carton. Dump a pile of rounds in a fanny pack and shoot until you get tired. Now the CCI Mini-Mags don't come that way and the other rounds may foul your weapon a little more ... But you should clean your weapons anyway after shooting.

I love they come in the 550 round milk carton. Dump a pile of rounds in a fanny pack and shoot until you get tired. Now the CCI Mini-Mags don't come that way and the other rounds may foul your weapon a little more ... But you should clean your weapons anyway after shooting.

I still maintain that a good .22 rifles and a big box of ammo is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

I took an anti-gun person shooting with a couple of .22 rifles and a garbage bag of cans and bottles. While she is still in favor of much stricter gun laws, she is much less adamant about banning guns. She admitted she had a great time shooting.

I still maintain that a good .22 rifles and a big box of ammo is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

I took an anti-gun person shooting with a couple of .22 rifles and a garbage bag of cans and bottles. While she is still in favor of much stricter gun laws, she is much less adamant about banning guns. She admitted she had a great time shooting.

I bet ... Loads of fun "plunking" or driving roofing nails with a 22. I handed a so-so anti-gunner a 1911 (under close supervision) ... And he was like "Holy Shit".

He had a blast and understood more about his own ideas and the fact to draw a firearm, point it at something and pulling the trigger erases the misconceptions about thinking firearm owners don't know what they are handling.

Forum List

Back