Tomorrow feb 13 is 70th anniversary of the Dresden Holocaust

Deliberately targetting non-combatants is unacceptable, morally reprehensible, and criminal. While technology was far more primitive during WWII, this and other instances weren't about inaccurate bombs and delivery systems, but actually and purposefully targetting civilians.

Lincoln did the same during the civil war. But he and FDR are called great presidents.

Libs cannot be trusted with fighting evil......or anything military.....they just aren't built for it.....

WWII seems to have become less of a war and more of a political event in the passing years.
So I say, WWII was basically a Democratic war. I remember well at Sansapor New Guinea in 1944 when it was rumored the military would be allowed to vote. A political discussion followed in our rifle company about Republicans. Someone said there was a Republican in K company so some of us walked over to K company to see the Republican. Didn't see any, only GI's.
One of the philosophies that seemed overwhelming in that war was the effort to save American lives. Not too much worry was put into saving enemy lives. Now that effort, that seemed so logical at the time, is becoming seen as evil. And so it goes.

Libs cannot be trusted with fighting evil......or anything military.....they just aren't built for it.....

WWII seems to have become less of a war and more of a political event in the passing years.
So I say, WWII was basically a Democratic war. I remember well at Sansapor New Guinea in 1944 when it was rumored the military would be allowed to vote. A political discussion followed in our rifle company about Republicans. Someone said there was a Republican in K company so some of us walked over to K company to see the Republican. Didn't see any, only GI's.
One of the philosophies that seemed overwhelming in that war was the effort to save American lives. Not too much worry was put into saving enemy lives. Now that effort, that seemed so logical at the time, is becoming seen as evil. And so it goes.
I happen to notice that in a thread about the Dresden bombing there is plenty of USA bashing but no mention of actual facts about American participation.
Great Britain bombed at night with 800 bombers dropping over 1,100 Tons of incendiaries and 1,400 tons of high explosives. The next day the US sent 300 bombers to do day time targeted raids on rail yards, bridges and transportation facilities with less than 300 tons of incendiaries and 950 tons of high explosives.

What was soldiers opinion of FDR during the war? Inspiring to the troops or what?

Libs defend and always support the evil and think that the good is the bad evil ones.
How can any American get so twisted and messed up in their heads in their thinking, to support such evil people in WWII?
Yet it's Americans and the British who were the evil people instead of the Germans.
War is absolute hell and Nazi's killed more innocent civilians than any Americans or British did.
Libs need to get off their high horse and stop vilifying the good guys in WWII.
If it wasn't for them winning, you all would be the slave labor of the Aryan Nation.

What was soldiers opinion of FDR during the war? Inspiring to the troops or what?
I don't think many of the youngsters knew any other president. I think most of the enlisted pukes were Democrats, and the big brass probably Republican. I remember when FDR died it was hard to believe.

A World War fought against two military superpowers is over in four years as opposed to this ridiculous war on terror which is in it's 13th year with no end in sight.

So who knew how to better fight a war, the leaders of 70 years ago or the leaders of today?

Dresden was building lots war material. The Luftwaffe was essentially on its last ropes, but the still had lots of unpleasant surprises, like the V2 and the jet in patheticly small numbers. Buchenwald, Dresden, Ravensbrook,... they were still busy. True red army was in Prussia, but on the west side Germany was untouched by troops on the ground. The armies other than the 3rd army would not enter Germany till late april. Germany was still a tough nut to crack, and they were talking af the war lasting till the atom bombs dealt with them

How many American's were able to live a regular life span because of Dresden?

Why have the acts the military performed during WWII become such a source of shame for some (maybe just Republicans) today?

Because enough time has passed that the left can go on the attack against the those who fought the war......the memories of what that war was all about were too strong for them to come out and openly attack them....that is changing...you can see it in the movies that are coming out about World War 2....lately "Fury" which showed American Soldiers in World War 2 committing war crimes openly and without fear......

Remember....the left hates America...and the military as an extension of America......they will destroy both as much as they can.....

LOL- so you think that Shooter is a 'left'?

Shooter is a racist, conservative idiot.

Grownups can talk about what America did and did not do in World War 2- and its okay to discuss whether we did something wrong- and what we did right- and that is not just a liberal/conservative thing.

I happen to notice that in a thread about the Dresden bombing there is plenty of USA bashing but no mention of actual facts about American participation.
Great Britain bombed at night with 800 bombers dropping over 1,100 Tons of incendiaries and 1,400 tons of high explosives. The next day the US sent 300 bombers to do day time targeted raids on rail yards, bridges and transportation facilities with less than 300 tons of incendiaries and 950 tons of high explosives.

British air forces had been bombing population centers in Germany for quite sometime- since they had suffered from the Blitz I don't think that they had any moral qualms about bombing German city centers.

The United States Army Air Corp focused on industrial targets until rather late in the war- finally coming up with a strategic bombing tactic of targetting rail centers- which usually were in city centers.

This is all based upon memory from a book detailing operations of the 8th Bombing Group- but as I recall in late 44, the bombing Group, after much pressure from the Brits, was ordered to start targeting city centers- like Dresden. Lots of the American military objected. I believe that Eisenhower is the one who actually ordered the 8th to cooperate with the Brits on that campaign.

There was considerable differences in the bombing objectives early in the war. America had the Norden bombsight and believed they could bomb targets (strategic) without hurting too many civilians. The British didn't believe it. As Americans later discovered it was pretty impossible to hit military targets without hitting civilians, too often they were mixed.

war crime?

good lord, there's tons of actual evil that fdr committed w/o needing to reach out and pretend he was involved in the actual battle planning

Hey einstein. Who was commander in chief during WW2?

British air forces had been bombing population centers in Germany for quite sometime- since they had suffered from the Blitz I don't think that they had any moral qualms about bombing German city centers.

1. That argument certainly doesn't apply to america. The krauts never bombed us

2. British bombing caused far more civilian deaths that kraut bombing did. Like 100 eyes for an eye.

Life was cheap in WW2. Somehow intelligent people got the idea that killing civilians was a good way to get their crazy leaders to surrender. All it did was get civilians killed.

2. British bombing caused far more civilian deaths that kraut bombing did. Like 100 eyes for an eye.
That certainly doesn't seem fair. Bombings should have had equal casualties, and FDR should have made sure the bombings were made with some semblance of equality and fairness.

That certainly doesn't seem fair. Bombings should have had equal casualties, and FDR should have made sure the bombings were made with some semblance of equality and fairness.

Absolutely!

Equality and fairness in bombing!

Thats when war was war and men were men....

no PC then...

no lillies of the valley ....no weaklings .....

darn be all weaklings today.

Forum List

Back