To The Left IE Guns: Would You Accept The Swiss Way?

Independentthinker

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2015
Interesting article on Switzerland and how they have a very high percentage of their citizens having guns but few murders and no mass shootings in 21 years. Would you accept this being done here in America, assuming you could do it? How about those on the right?

Interesting article on Switzerland and how they have a very high percentage of their citizens having guns but few murders and no mass shootings in 21 years. Would you accept this being done here in America, assuming you could do it? How about those on the right?

Stereotypically speaking, they're all civilized White Folk and they have no 'minority problem' or ghettoes or gang-bangers or urban street scum or crime...

Apples and Oranges...

Switzerland also has mandatory military service. Would Americans support the draft again if it reduced gang violence?

I'm going to give you my serious answer...for the heck of it, I guess. With the caveat that this is about the only place that sees me as 'liberal'..in the pejorative sense

Apples and oranges. Size matters. So does a homogeneous population vs a multi-cultural stew. Issuing weapons to trained militia? Don't we do that already? You do know that the swiss know where every one of those guns are, right? Are you advocating registration and all guns having a forensic fingerprint on file?

The US is unique..and any solution, if you think one is needed, will have to be unique as well. At some point, the 2nd amendment and the public weal are going to come into opposition--and perhaps dividing this country into separate polities might be the end result. Maybe we will get back to Jefferson's concept of a loose confederation--for trade and defense.

I don't think so..I think we're just going to keep taking the toll of innocents so people can have the power of life and death at their fingertips. To have the feeling of potency...and security~

They don't hate each other or their government. It's a different culture from ours. Israel has had 2 school shootings since the 1970s and they have the right to bear arms. Their gun laws are very strict. I think we should have their gun laws. They don't hate each other or their government either.

The article is BS. The Swiss is issued a weapon when they do their voluntary military time. At the end of that time, they are given the choice to complete civilian paperwork and storage of the weapon in the home or turn it in on separation. MOST elect to turn their weapons in. I don't know who keep spreading this BS but Switzerland has some of the strictest gun laws in Europe right down to how the weapon is stored. The days of them worrying about being invaded are long gone and so is this story.

I don't know who keep spreading this BS but Switzerland has some of the strictest gun laws in Europe right down to how the weapon is stored.
It's largely a matter of propagandistic lies spread by the NRA - firearm permissiveness, guns up the wazoo, yet few firearm massacres.

In reality, in Switzerland:

All privately-owned forearms must be registered and require a permit.
Swiss authorities decide on a local level whether to give people gun permits.
The police keep a log of everyone who owns a gun in their region.
Swiss laws are designed to prevent anyone who's violent or incompetent from owning a gun.
People who've been convicted of a crime or have an alcohol or drug addiction aren't allowed to buy guns in Switzerland.
Anyone who "expresses a violent or dangerous attitude" won't be permitted to own a gun.
Concealed-carry permits are tough to get in Switzerland, and most people who aren't security workers or police officers don't have one.
The few who have concealed-carry permits cannot transport them while loaded.
Gun sellers follow strict licensing procedures.
Private gun ownership in Switzerland has been dropping dramatically.

I'm going to give you my serious answer...for the heck of it, I guess. With the caveat that this is about the only place that sees me as 'liberal'..in the pejorative sense

Apples and oranges. Size matters. So does a homogeneous population vs a multi-cultural stew. Issuing weapons to trained militia? Don't we do that already? You do know that the swiss know where every one of those guns are, right? Are you advocating registration and all guns having a forensic fingerprint on file?

The US is unique..and any solution, if you think one is needed, will have to be unique as well. At some point, the 2nd amendment and the public weal are going to come into opposition--and perhaps dividing this country into separate polities might be the end result. Maybe we will get back to Jefferson's concept of a loose confederation--for trade and defense.

I don't think so..I think we're just going to keep taking the toll of innocents so people can have the power of life and death at their fingertips. To have the feeling of potency...and security~
The question is simple, would either the left or the right favor the Swiss system as a so called compromise?

They don't hate each other or their government. It's a different culture from ours. Israel has had 2 school shootings since the 1970s and they have the right to bear arms. Their gun laws are very strict. I think we should have their gun laws. They don't hate each other or their government either.
Well, there is that Israeli/Palestinian thing.

The article is BS. The Swiss is issued a weapon when they do their voluntary military time. At the end of that time, they are given the choice to complete civilian paperwork and storage of the weapon in the home or turn it in on separation. MOST elect to turn their weapons in. I don't know who keep spreading this BS but Switzerland has some of the strictest gun laws in Europe right down to how the weapon is stored. The days of them worrying about being invaded are long gone and so is this story.
Well, I guess you should tell that the Ukraine, Poland, Finland, Sweden, and a few other countries.

It's not the law. It's the culture and the depravity that have been unleashed. You have to cut the disease out at the root.

Switzerland also has mandatory military service. Would Americans support the draft again if it reduced gang violence?
I personally feel you learn a hell of a lot in the military that can help you through the rest of your life plus you can attend college while in the military.

The problem is today we would have a “woke” military which would be a total joke.

Forum List

Back