What is the definition of "assault weapon?"

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
Once again Biden has nominated a white cisgender male, whose pronouns are "he," "his," and "him," for head of the ATF. This nominee also has this in common with the previous failed nominee: he claims not to know what an assault is, though he has promoted that they be banned.

So, what say you, folks on the left?

What is an assault weapon?

2:18:30

I don't get it. How do you nominate a candidate hoping that they will go after assault weapons and then pick one who doesn't know what an assault weapon is? I guess the same way you nominate a candidate hoping she will staunchly defend women's rights, but she doesn't know what a woman is.

They don't like to get cornered by definitions since they change them whenever it fits their Newspeak needs

OIP (4).jpg

John Nolte 25 May 2022

Here’s what we know for a fact…

We know Evil is going to shoot up schools.

We know the corporate media will never stop incentivizing shooting up schools. Thanks to our pro-school shooting media, every school shooter knows that shooting up a school will give him exactly what he wants: the power to shake up the country.

We know the only thing that will stop a maniac with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

We know all this, and yet Democrats still want to remove cops from schools.

So the question is why?

And the answer is simple.

There is no greater propaganda tool to push to disarm the American people than school shootings.

Police in schools stop and discourage school shootings.

If school shootings stop, Democrats lose their best propaganda tool.

The less security in schools, the more school shootings, the more propaganda.

We could protect our schools.

As I wrote earlier, we know how to protect our schools.

But Democrats and the school unions that own Democrats and the left-wing media do not want to protect schools.

Why?

Here it is…

Because Democrats and their unions and their media believe disarming the public is a higher priority than your child’s life.

Once again Biden has nominated a white cisgender male, whose pronouns are "he," "his," and "him," for head of the ATF. This nominee also has this in common with the previous failed nominee: he claims not to know what an assault is, though he has promoted that they be banned.

I don't get it. How do you nominate a candidate hoping that they will go after assault weapons and then pick one who doesn't know what an assault weapon is? I guess the same way you nominate a candidate hoping she will staunchly defend women's rights, but she doesn't know what a woman is.

You know if semi-automatic weapons existed in the 1700’s and there was an insane amount of guns on the market at the time and in the possession of millions of people, the 2nd amendment would be written very differently. There would be a lot more restrictions. Instead the amendment was incredibly vague because all that existed at the time were muskets that took a large chunk of time to reload after firing a single shot.

Please note that I did not suggest guns would have been outlawed or banned. I’m not even suggesting that they should be now so don’t go full retard and claim that was the intent of my post.

You know if semi-automatic weapons existed in the 1700’s and there was an insane amount of guns on the market at the time and in the possession of millions of people, the 2nd amendment would be written very differently. There would be a lot more restrictions. Instead the amendment was incredibly vague because all that existed at the time were muskets that took a large chunk of time to reload after firing a single shot.

Please note that I did not suggest guns would have been outlawed or banned. I’m not even suggesting that they should be now so don’t go full retard and claim that was the intent of my post.
I don't know the intent of your post, but it clearly was not to give your definition of "assault weapon," which is the topic of the thread.

Your conjecture is based on purported facts that are inaccurate. In those days, there were muskets that could be reloaded in eight seconds, for volley fire by a squad. There were pistols, several of which could be concealed under a man's clothes. There were rifles that could kill from 300 yeards. There were cannon powerful enough to destroy buildings and ships. Private citizens could own any of these. Every farmer had a rifle to protect his stock from predators, the wealthy bought cannon to give to local militias, that they often headed.

With more foresight, the framers might have addressed the possibility of advanced weapon technology such as large caliber machine guns, flying weapons platforms, nuclear missiles. Or they may have assumed that they amendment process they included in the constitution would be used to take care of future advances in the press, arms, housing, searches, etc.

It's used to kill people not for hunting.

It's used to kill people not for hunting.
I do appreciate you giving your definition. You are now literally more qualified to be the head of ATF than Biden's last two nominees.

So, when I hear a politician wanting to ban assault weapons, they mean all weapons intended for self-defense against human attackers? That's actually what I always thought they meant.

Good job, seriously.

I do appreciate you giving your definition. You are now literally more qualified to be the head of ATF than Biden's last two nominees.

So, when I hear a politician wanting to ban assault weapons, they mean all weapons intended for self-defense against human attackers? That's actually what I always thought they meant.

Good job, seriously.
Look at Israeli gun laws. That's what we should do.

You should ask the ATF what an assault rifle is....

Note: "Machinegun"

"Special Note

Commercial semi-automatic variations are currently being imported s and are NOT classified as machine guns."

No kidding, but you failed miserably.

One can hunt deer with an AR15, or target practice with it.

There are millions in circulation. They are not used for killing people.

So, you are clearly incorrect.
I haven't been hunting in years. Where's the sport in hunting with an assault rifle?

I don't know the intent of your post, but it clearly was not to give your definition of "assault weapon," which is the topic of the thread.

Your conjecture is based on purported facts that are inaccurate. In those days, there were muskets that could be reloaded in eight seconds, for volley fire by a squad. There were pistols, several of which could be concealed under a man's clothes. There were rifles that could kill from 300 yeards. There were cannon powerful enough to destroy buildings and ships. Private citizens could own any of these. Every farmer had a rifle to protect his stock from predators, the wealthy bought cannon to give to local militias, that they often headed.

With more foresight, the framers might have addressed the possibility of advanced weapon technology such as large caliber machine guns, flying weapons platforms, nuclear missiles. Or they may have assumed that they amendment process they included in the constitution would be used to take care of future advances in the press, arms, housing, searches, etc.
It really doesn’t matter what the definition of assault rifles are or if you think the term is erroneous. What matters is what guns are capable of doing. What you call them really doesn’t matter.

Also, you’re talking about a population contained to 13 colonies. Many of them did not own guns even if it was legal to do so. Many sure as hell did not have cannons simply because it was legal. Realistically, a severe mass shooting wouldn’t happen because of how easy it would be to stop the shooter who was taking 8 seconds to reload inbetween single shots. It’s stupid to assume conditions for gun violence was even remotely compareable. So yeah, if semi automatic weapons existed back then or MILLIONS of people already owned guns of any kind because it was so easy to get them, it is safe to assume you would see very different gun laws.

You are aware that when the Constitution was written civilians could possess weapons far more lethal than so called assault weapons. By those I mean artillery and private warships. Hell, almost all regular merchant ships were armed with cannons ranging from oversized shotguns called swivel guns to cannon that fired balls as heavy as twenty four pounds, plus shotgun rounds called grapeshot, which could contain as many as a hundred grape-sized projectiles in each round. A single grapeshot round fired into a infantry formation or crowd of civilians could kill hundreds of people.

An assault rifle is not a handgun.
You should ask the ATF what an assault rifle is....

Note: "Machinegun"

"Special Note

Commercial semi-automatic variations are currently being imported s and are NOT classified as machine guns."
Yes, an assault rifle is a real thing. They link that you gave does not define the terms, it gives two correct examples of assault rifles.

An assault rifle is a rifle that is capable of a high rate of fire, most often with capability of selection among rates of fire. A military M16 and variants can switch between semi-auto and automatic fire, or in some cases 3-round burst fire. Military AK47s can do the same, but no three round burst that I know of. A civilian AR 15 or AK47 is semi-auto only, and is not an assault rifle.

But it looks scary to lefties.

Politicians rarely speak of banning assault rifles, which has a specific meaning, and which very few Americans own anyway. They speak of banning "assault weapons" which has the vague meaning of "sumpen ah don't thank yoo should have!"

You are aware that when the Constitution was written civilians could possess weapons far more lethal than so called assault weapons. By those I mean artillery and private warships. Hell, almost all regular merchant ships were armed with cannons ranging from oversized shotguns called swivel guns to cannon that fired balls as heavy as twenty four pounds, plus shotgun rounds called grapeshot, which could contain as many as a hundred grape-sized projectiles in each round. A single grapeshot round fired into a infantry formation or crowd of civilians could kill hundreds of people.
And how many people owned or had access to such weapons? Just because they existed did not mean they were easily accessible to the general population.

It really doesn’t matter what the definition of assault rifles are or if you think the term is erroneous. What matters is what guns are capable of doing. What you call them really doesn’t matter.
Then why do politicians constantly use the buzzword "assault weapon?"
Also, you’re talking about a population contained to 13 colonies. Many of them did not own guns even if it was legal to do so. Many sure as hell did not have cannons simply because it was legal. Realistically, a severe mass shooting wouldn’t happen because of how easy it would be to stop the shooter who was taking 8 seconds to reload inbetween single shots. It’s stupid to assume conditions for gun violence was even remotely compareable. So yeah, if semi automatic weapons existed back then or MILLIONS of people already owned guns of any kind because it was so easy to get them, it is safe to assume you would see very different gun laws.
The constitution is not set in stone. If technology has advanced in such a way to make the 2nd amendment outdated, tell your government employees to get rid of it. I mean by amending the constitution to remove that amendment, not by pretending it isn't there.

Yes, an assault rifle is a real thing. They link that you gave does not define the terms, it gives two correct examples of assault rifles.

An assault rifle is a rifle that is capable of a high rate of fire, most often with capability of selection among rates of fire. A military M16 and variants can switch between semi-auto and automatic fire, or in some cases 3-round burst fire. Military AK47s can do the same, but no three round burst that I know of. A civilian AR 15 or AK47 is semi-auto only, and is not an assault rifle.

But it looks scary to lefties.

Politicians rarely speak of banning assault rifles, which has a specific meaning, and which very few Americans own anyway. They speak of banning "assault weapons" which has the vague meaning of "sumpen ah don't thank yoo should have!"
What do you use your assault rifle for? Do you hunt with it?

Forum List

Back