To The Left IE Guns: Would You Accept The Swiss Way?

Interesting article on Switzerland and how they have a very high percentage of their citizens having guns but few murders and no mass shootings in 21 years. Would you accept this being done here in America, assuming you could do it? How about those on the right?

They have much stronger gun control than us.

Interesting article on Switzerland and how they have a very high percentage of their citizens having guns but few murders and no mass shootings in 21 years. Would you accept this being done here in America, assuming you could do it? How about those on the right?

The reason is because the Swiss have a more comfortable and happy society. Not their actual gun laws.

The biggest reason is a lack of diversity. You can't even become a citizen unless you speak the language fluently and understand their society. So they have a lot of people who are alike and everyone understands eachother. Unlike America where we have so many foriengers who don't speak the language, hundreds of thousands of groups and sub groups where no one wants to conform to society, they all want it to conform to them. There is a reason why most animals in the wild don't really hang out with other animals.

Then you also have the fact Switzerland has a high education rate, high employment and good healthcare. So most of the citizens work and are productive, they are educated atleast fairly well and they have good healthcare. That leads to a more satisfied society.

America doesn't have a gun problem, they have a problem with criminals who aren't punished, and we have a diversity problem.

Is that a yes vote?
It would involve more laws than we have now:

SWISS GUN LAWS

In 1993, Swiss voters accepted a constitutional amendment that authorized parliament to pass a "gun-abuse" law. The law was adopted in 1997 and went in effect in 1998. It preserves the right of citizens to acquire, own, and carry guns, including Swiss military-issue arms. But it bars certain categories of arms such as fully automatic guns, dangerous weapons such as stun guns, and accessories such as silencers and night vision scopes.

The law requires a permit to acquire a gun from a dealer and bars sales to minors, repeat criminal offenders, and people determined by the courts to be violent or dangerous. A permit is not needed to acquire a weapon normally used in conjunction with governmentally recognized hunting or shooting organizations. Private sales do not require a permit, but the seller cannot transfer weapons to a person barred from owning a weapon. The seller must check the buyer's identification card to determine that he is at least 18 years old. A record must be made of both commercial and private transactions and retained by both parties for 10 years.

The right to carry a gun for other than hunting or military training purposes requires proof of legitimate need, which can include self protection and the protection of property. The applicant must also demonstrate that he is proficient in the use of the weapon and understands the gun law. The permit is valid for up to five years. Weapons, munitions, and accessories must be stored safely in a place that is inaccessible to unauthorized people. The loss of a weapon must be immediately reported to the police. Weapons can be transported freely, so long as they are kept separate from munitions.​

The law also governs the manufacture, importation, and exportation of weapons, and imposes record-keeping requirements on gun dealers. Violators are subject to fines and imprisonment. In the case of intentional violations of laws governing transfers, importation, and exportation the minimum penalties are five years in prison and a fine of 100,000 Swiss francs (approximately $69,000).

The reason is because the Swiss have a more comfortable and happy society. Not their actual gun laws.

The biggest reason is a lack of diversity. You can't even become a citizen unless you speak the language fluently and understand their society. So they have a lot of people who are alike and everyone understands eachother. Unlike America where we have so many foriengers who don't speak the language, hundreds of thousands of groups and sub groups where no one wants to conform to society, they all want it to conform to them. There is a reason why most animals in the wild don't really hang out with other animals.

Then you also have the fact Switzerland has a high education rate, high employment and good healthcare. So most of the citizens work and are productive, they are educated atleast fairly well and they have good healthcare. That leads to a more satisfied society.

America doesn't have a gun problem, they have a problem with criminals who aren't punished, and we have a diversity problem.
From what I have noticed in the last many years in the US, there seems to be more whites hating other whites than anything else. We have a close to 50/50 society of red vs blue, or it's, roughly speaking, 33% liberal, 33% conservative, and 33% independents. The 33% are fighting the other 33%, which actually far outnumbers minorities vs whites. Often the ones causing most of the problems are far left whites and far right whites.

The question is simple, would either the left or the right favor the Swiss system as a so called compromise?
If you require simple----the Left would be OK with it...and the Right would freak out. Assuming you have read those posts in this thread that point out that the Swiss control their guns in a manner probably unacceptable to most gun owners.

From what I have noticed in the last many years in the US, there seems to be more whites hating other whites than anything else. We have a close to 50/50 society of red vs blue, or it's, roughly speaking, 33% liberal, 33% conservative, and 33% independents. The 33% are fighting the other 33%, which actually far outnumbers minorities vs whites. Often the ones causing most of the problems are far left whites and far right whites.
A cogent point indeed. For most of the haters on either side..minorities are more of a talking point than anything else.

..or as a lot of people on the left would say...we have a problem with those who have a problem..with diversity~

In truth, most people of color or different cultural starting points are just trying to make it--like most of Americans.

Partisan idiots of both sides of the aisle see them as tools to be used--and most of them are aware of that.

If you require simple----the Left would be OK with it...and the Right would freak out. Assuming you have read those posts in this thread that point out that the Swiss control their guns in a manner probably unacceptable to most gun owners.
I don't think you speak for all of the left. Are you saying that all of the left would be in favor of mandatory military service and guns everywhere? I agree that many on the right would be against it. I'm saying that most of the left would also be against it.

I don't think you speak for all of the left. Are you saying that all of the left would be in favor of mandatory military service and guns everywhere? I agree that many on the right would be against it. I'm saying that most of the left would also be against it.
LOL! I don't speak for any of the Left..or Right, for that matter.

The Swiss method would NOT result in guns everywhere. In fact, all I've read points to most US gun owners NOT qualifying for gun ownership under the Swiss system.

You've linked compulsory military service with gun ownership--for sure..I'd be against a 100 million person standing army--were one to substitute 2 years of service to the community...I could get behind it. Most on the left probably could as well, IMO.

But I think most sane people like the idea of eliminating untraceable guns..and adding 100% accountability. I especially am intrigued by the ban on abusers of alcohol and drugs.
Pretty sure that most people..no matter their political position..would be made uncomfortable by this. I know my redneck friends would see you pry their gun out of their cold, dead hand..and in the other hand you'd have to pry the beer out~

LOL! I don't speak for any of the Left..or Right, for that matter.

The Swiss method would NOT result in guns everywhere. In fact, all I've read points to most US gun owners NOT qualifying for gun ownership under the Swiss system.

You've linked compulsory military service with gun ownership--for sure..I'd be against a 100 million person standing army--were one to substitute 2 years of service to the community...I could get behind it. Most on the left probably could as well, IMO.

But I think most sane people like the idea of eliminating untraceable guns..and adding 100% accountability. I especially am intrigued by the ban on abusers of alcohol and drugs.
Pretty sure that most people..no matter their political position..would be made uncomfortable by this. I know my redneck friends would see you pry their gun out of their cold, dead hand..and in the other hand you'd have to pry the beer out~
Ummmmmmm, most everyone in Switzerland has a gun.

Ummmmmmm, most everyone in Switzerland has a gun.
Not true. Several posters have made that point. I think you can say that almost everyone in Switzerland has owned a gun at one time..while they were in the army--but most don't opt to keep the weapon as a civilian, due to the invasive nature of the law that governs gun ownership.

BTW..handguns are essentially banned to civilians.

The Swiss speak 4 languages and they are culturally diverse.. Italian, French, Swiss German and Romanche.

By definition, all wars are "foreign."
no US troops would be deployed outside of the US. That's the only way I'm agreeing to that bullshit. No deployment ever. All of our allies could go fuck off and defend themselves.

If we're going to do mandatory military service, it's going to be in defense of the United States only.

The Swiss speak 4 languages and they are culturally diverse.. Italian, French, Swiss German and Romanche.
India and Pakistan are "culturally diverse," and they kill each other by the thousands.

Forum List

Back