This Republican has got it right.

Lol, whatever. Another lib meme dressed up as an R It's none of anyone's business if one has a gun that holds 30 rounds or a single shot shotgun.
Well Yes it is...it is the business of the subversion planners who sit for long hours in the bowels of some beijmg hack factory dreaming up the next tactic to disarm the American Public and make it easier for their final plan to become the masters of the North American continent....they are almost there now.....the only thing that practically stands in their way is a well armed American Populace.

What is an assault rifle and how does it differ from a regular rifle?

One is designed to kill 20 people in 10 seconds and the other one isn't.
One is designed for military use and warfare, the other one isn't.
Any other incredibly stupid questions?
You aren't going to kill 20 people in 10 second with a semi-automatic weapon, and we already prohibit full auto weapons in this country for civilian use. Got any other good exaggerations to impress the people that know nothing about weapons?

I keep showing the differences and the samilarities between the AR and the M-16 and why both can be used in a combat situation without any loss of performance.
They could both be used in combat, of course. You could use my 30/30 in combat. Big difference is that in combat, sometimes you want to put a lot of rounds down range quicker than you can keep your head up to zero on a specific target. High cyclic rate of fire on a lightweight frame is a big advantage. At the same time, it is a very accurate weapon at 200 to 400 meters if you can take a precision shot. Makes a good varmint rifle for day or night, good home defense, though I do not keep mine loaded with armor piercing green tip. That chassis if an all around good platform for a lot of uses and great fun to shoot on outdoor ranges. The question of whether I would want to take an AR-15 into combat is decidedly "NO". M-16s are selective single shot semi-automatic or full auto. M-4 can go single, auto 3 round bursts or full automatic. Combat situations are very fluid and dynamic, with every thing from fire fights, to kicking in doors and clearing rooms. There is also a great variance in the skill level and self-control of the users, also effecting utility choice of what makes a good combat weapon. I can tell you, (hands down) do not take an AR-15 into general extended period, variety mission combat, if you have a choice. It would be a bad decision. Despite the combat, bad- ass look. It is not a combat weapon.

This vindicates my thoughts. Whilst not disputing it's value in a combat situation, why would your average person want one other than a testosterone filled power play. Not a lot of combat situations on your average street. Certainly not the type to carry around for personal protection. It's bullshit. It's not needed.
It is a fine multipurpose weapon platform, great for reasonable distance target practice, varmint and small game up to and including deer, unless you are shooting from mountainside to mountain side. Far easier to disassemble, clean and maintain than most of what are thought of as hunting rifles, if putting the same number of rounds down range. It's commonality across the platform makes it ideal to accept a wide variety of customizations of different manufacture. I assembled my AR from 3 different manufacturers and 5 suppliers vying for my business with parts that were interchangeable, allowing me to pick and choose based on what I thought was most important in terms of manufacturer, quality, materials, rated reviews, and price, to put the best money on the most important components, or options. I use 20 and 30 round magazines for range work, as I don't hunt anymore, as long as Kroger stays open. Besides, I already know I can hit and kill anything I aim at, without having to drag it out of the woods, skin it, clean it and process it. The higher capacity magazines than on hunting rifles allow me to put more rounds downrange without having to stop, reload, reposition, leave the line in some cases, come back, set up and resume shooting. I call it range work, because that is what it is. I am serious about quality range time. The goal being to put as much lead on hard targets at various distance, from various shooting positions, various conditions as possible, in order to maintain a high level of proficiency, close to or actually exceeding my level back in the day, when I was regularly training myself and others, while running every type of weapons range imaginable.
It is not what I depend on for home defense, but there if I need it with multiple magazines loaded right above it. Somebody breaking in would be facing my 9 MM Walther PPQ or a shotgun, as all are loaded, all the time. On the other hand, though not expecting a drive-by in my neighborhood, their car would be facing armor piercing capability that their windshields certainly would not slow down or deflect, nor would the block of their engine. So, yes it is a viable addition to your home defense plan and equipment, in any event, as I do keep multiple magazines loaded, but only the ones with red tape around the bottom are armor piercing. Most ranges don't like the use of M855 ammo, as it is hard on the steel targets.
Again, the AR-15 is not a combat weapon. Great training for firing the combat arms version, but certainly nothing to carry into military style combat, if you have a choice.

You can stop this nonsense at any time. As a Retired Military and an old avid shooter, I don't see any advantage between a M-16A-4 and a decent AR-15 in a combat situation. In fact, in a real world situation, the custom AR-15 will out perform the M-16A-4 because it's more adaptable.

Once again (and I'll type slowly and use small words), the M-16A-4 (which is the most widely used M-16) is not really a full automatic rifle. The A-1 and A-3 were both full auto but both were dropped due to the "Spray and Pray" which broke the Combat 11th Commandment of "Thow Shalt not run out of ammo in a battle lest you end up dead". The A-2 and A-4 went to the 3 shot burst but it's been found that only the first shot is on target while the 2nd is slightly off target and the 3rd needs the proverbial barn door to be present. In actual combat the M-16 is fired using the semi auto setting to conserve ammo. And even then, it goes through a lot of ammo fast and you have to watch out for the 11th commandment.

Now, what is the difference? The lower receiver. The Lower Receiver is the only part on the M-16 OR the AR-15 that is controlled. All other parts are handled like a Candy Bar in a Vending machine. The AR-15 lower receiver can be purchased through any licensed firearms dealer. The M-16A-4 receiver must be purchased from either Colt or FN and it falls under the Federal Arms Automatic Weapons Law. Can I used a lower receiver from a M-16 on a Colt Model 750 (also known as an AR-15)? Yes, it bolts right on and makes the AR into the M. Can a Arms Machinist modify an ARs lower receiver to fire full auto? Yes, with little more than a drill bit. What prevents the ARs from receiving the modded lower receiver or the M-16 lower receivers? Very, Very long prison sentences and very active ATF agents.

As to why both are so similar, they come from the same gun, the Armalite AR-15 which Armalite then Colt produced as the Armalite and Colt AR-15 Model 601 starting in 1958.

Another tidbit of history, the AR-10 (which begat the AR-15) was produced in competition to the M-14 but lost out because the test versions were turned over to the Army with the composite barrels instead of the steel one. In reality, the AR-10 was far superior to the M-14 in all categories.

So you Rexall Rangers keep gumming yer jaws.
In fact, in a real world situation, the custom AR-15 will out perform the M-16A-4 because it's more adaptable.

In a custom situation, which none of the off-the-rack ARs are.

The exception isn't, and is illogical to be treated as, the norm, Corky.

If I am going for the new Body Count, I would easily spend as much as 1000 bucks per AR to make sure that the proper chromium and tolerances were there which would exceed the M-16 quality. Plus the railing would be superior. Just like the Nevada Shooter did and you can bet, the Denver shooter did. YOu just as well max out the old Credit Cards because you ain't getting out of this one to pay them off anyway.

Don't be a piker.
A thousand buck isn't even high end for a custom AR-15.

You aren't going to kill 20 people in 10 second with a semi-automatic weapon, and we already prohibit full auto weapons in this country for civilian use. Got any other good exaggerations to impress the people that know nothing about weapons?

I keep showing the differences and the samilarities between the AR and the M-16 and why both can be used in a combat situation without any loss of performance.
They could both be used in combat, of course. You could use my 30/30 in combat. Big difference is that in combat, sometimes you want to put a lot of rounds down range quicker than you can keep your head up to zero on a specific target. High cyclic rate of fire on a lightweight frame is a big advantage. At the same time, it is a very accurate weapon at 200 to 400 meters if you can take a precision shot. Makes a good varmint rifle for day or night, good home defense, though I do not keep mine loaded with armor piercing green tip. That chassis if an all around good platform for a lot of uses and great fun to shoot on outdoor ranges. The question of whether I would want to take an AR-15 into combat is decidedly "NO". M-16s are selective single shot semi-automatic or full auto. M-4 can go single, auto 3 round bursts or full automatic. Combat situations are very fluid and dynamic, with every thing from fire fights, to kicking in doors and clearing rooms. There is also a great variance in the skill level and self-control of the users, also effecting utility choice of what makes a good combat weapon. I can tell you, (hands down) do not take an AR-15 into general extended period, variety mission combat, if you have a choice. It would be a bad decision. Despite the combat, bad- ass look. It is not a combat weapon.

This vindicates my thoughts. Whilst not disputing it's value in a combat situation, why would your average person want one other than a testosterone filled power play. Not a lot of combat situations on your average street. Certainly not the type to carry around for personal protection. It's bullshit. It's not needed.
It is a fine multipurpose weapon platform, great for reasonable distance target practice, varmint and small game up to and including deer, unless you are shooting from mountainside to mountain side. Far easier to disassemble, clean and maintain than most of what are thought of as hunting rifles, if putting the same number of rounds down range. It's commonality across the platform makes it ideal to accept a wide variety of customizations of different manufacture. I assembled my AR from 3 different manufacturers and 5 suppliers vying for my business with parts that were interchangeable, allowing me to pick and choose based on what I thought was most important in terms of manufacturer, quality, materials, rated reviews, and price, to put the best money on the most important components, or options. I use 20 and 30 round magazines for range work, as I don't hunt anymore, as long as Kroger stays open. Besides, I already know I can hit and kill anything I aim at, without having to drag it out of the woods, skin it, clean it and process it. The higher capacity magazines than on hunting rifles allow me to put more rounds downrange without having to stop, reload, reposition, leave the line in some cases, come back, set up and resume shooting. I call it range work, because that is what it is. I am serious about quality range time. The goal being to put as much lead on hard targets at various distance, from various shooting positions, various conditions as possible, in order to maintain a high level of proficiency, close to or actually exceeding my level back in the day, when I was regularly training myself and others, while running every type of weapons range imaginable.
It is not what I depend on for home defense, but there if I need it with multiple magazines loaded right above it. Somebody breaking in would be facing my 9 MM Walther PPQ or a shotgun, as all are loaded, all the time. On the other hand, though not expecting a drive-by in my neighborhood, their car would be facing armor piercing capability that their windshields certainly would not slow down or deflect, nor would the block of their engine. So, yes it is a viable addition to your home defense plan and equipment, in any event, as I do keep multiple magazines loaded, but only the ones with red tape around the bottom are armor piercing. Most ranges don't like the use of M855 ammo, as it is hard on the steel targets.
Again, the AR-15 is not a combat weapon. Great training for firing the combat arms version, but certainly nothing to carry into military style combat, if you have a choice.

You can stop this nonsense at any time. As a Retired Military and an old avid shooter, I don't see any advantage between a M-16A-4 and a decent AR-15 in a combat situation. In fact, in a real world situation, the custom AR-15 will out perform the M-16A-4 because it's more adaptable.

Once again (and I'll type slowly and use small words), the M-16A-4 (which is the most widely used M-16) is not really a full automatic rifle. The A-1 and A-3 were both full auto but both were dropped due to the "Spray and Pray" which broke the Combat 11th Commandment of "Thow Shalt not run out of ammo in a battle lest you end up dead". The A-2 and A-4 went to the 3 shot burst but it's been found that only the first shot is on target while the 2nd is slightly off target and the 3rd needs the proverbial barn door to be present. In actual combat the M-16 is fired using the semi auto setting to conserve ammo. And even then, it goes through a lot of ammo fast and you have to watch out for the 11th commandment.

Now, what is the difference? The lower receiver. The Lower Receiver is the only part on the M-16 OR the AR-15 that is controlled. All other parts are handled like a Candy Bar in a Vending machine. The AR-15 lower receiver can be purchased through any licensed firearms dealer. The M-16A-4 receiver must be purchased from either Colt or FN and it falls under the Federal Arms Automatic Weapons Law. Can I used a lower receiver from a M-16 on a Colt Model 750 (also known as an AR-15)? Yes, it bolts right on and makes the AR into the M. Can a Arms Machinist modify an ARs lower receiver to fire full auto? Yes, with little more than a drill bit. What prevents the ARs from receiving the modded lower receiver or the M-16 lower receivers? Very, Very long prison sentences and very active ATF agents.

As to why both are so similar, they come from the same gun, the Armalite AR-15 which Armalite then Colt produced as the Armalite and Colt AR-15 Model 601 starting in 1958.

Another tidbit of history, the AR-10 (which begat the AR-15) was produced in competition to the M-14 but lost out because the test versions were turned over to the Army with the composite barrels instead of the steel one. In reality, the AR-10 was far superior to the M-14 in all categories.

In fact, in a real world situation, the custom AR-15 will out perform the M-16A-4 because it's more adaptable.

If I am going for the new Body Count, I would easily spend as much as 1000 bucks per AR to make sure that the proper chromium and tolerances were there which would exceed the M-16 quality. Plus the railing would be superior. Just like the Nevada Shooter did and you can bet, the Denver shooter did. YOu just as well max out the old Credit Cards because you ain't getting out of this one to pay them off anyway.

Don't be a piker.

It's enough to get the proper features. Anything else can be purchased seperately. You are just fishing now. Those goal posts keep moving. Sorry, but he was bagged not for his ARs but for his illegal addons. What next, you going to tell me that 6/1 was a family picnic with a movie? You Cult people just won't quit.

Lol, whatever. Another lib meme dressed up as an R It's none of anyone's business if one has a gun that holds 30 rounds or a single shot shotgun.
Well Yes it is...it is the business of the subversion planners who sit for long hours in the bowels of some beijmg hack factory dreaming up the next tactic to disarm the American Public and make it easier for their final plan to become the masters of the North American continent....they are almost there now.....the only thing that practically stands in their way is a well armed American Populace.

Actually, what got the Denver Shooter busted wasn't the ARs. It was the illegal addons. You see, we broke the AR Cult years ago to the point where you almost have to give an AR away. What Cult are you going to hit us up with next, was the 6/1 Capital Building intrusion a family outing with a drivin Movie included?

Don't be a piker.

It's enough to get the proper features. Anything else can be purchased seperately. You are just fishing now. Those goal posts keep moving. Sorry, but he was bagged not for his ARs but for his illegal addons. What next, you going to tell me that 6/1 was a family picnic with a movie? You Cult people just won't quit.
No. Just telling you 1000 buck is not much for a custom AR and make no mistake, it is the customization that make it worth the money, better steel in the barrel and upper, with mounting rails, better, harder bolt carrier group. Some idiot on here was telling me the guy (and I haven't read the story) was going to be able to fire 700 plus rounds with accuracy at multiple targets in 4 minutes, while swapping out magazines. If you basically remanufactured it to have anywhere near the capabilities to do that, it would bear little resemblance to an AR-15 and more to a hopped up M-16-A1, after changing out the lower, the trigger, the selector, and other things. It would be a totally illegal weapon, and truly suitable for combat, being full auto as the M-16-A1 was, and a thousand buck would not come near half the costs.
I'm not one of the cult people. I just like to go to the range and shoot to maintain proficiency. About the only people I shoot with are my son (former Airborne) and my brother-in-law (another Army retiree), all pretty well qualified and enjoy the sport. More often than not, I am at the range competing against myself, because I have the time and means. Some people bowl, golf, hunt or fish. We shoot, ski, kayak and hike.

Don't be a piker.

No. Just telling you 1000 buck is not much for a custom AR and make no mistake, it is the customization that make it worth the money, better steel in the barrel and upper, with mounting rails, better, harder bolt carrier group. Some idiot on here was telling me the guy (and I haven't read the story) was going to be able to fire 700 plus rounds with accuracy at multiple targets in 4 minutes, while swapping out magazines. If you basically remanufactured it to have anywhere near the capabilities to do that, it would bear little resemblance to an AR-15 and more to a hopped up M-16-A1, after changing out the lower, the trigger, the selector, and other things. It would be a totally illegal weapon, and truly suitable for combat, being full auto as the M-16-A1 was, and a thousand buck would not come near half the costs.
I'm not one of the cult people. I just like to go to the range and shoot to maintain proficiency. About the only people I shoot with are my son (former Airborne) and my brother-in-law (another Army retiree), all pretty well qualified and enjoy the sport. More often than not, I am at the range competing against myself, because I have the time and means. Some people bowl, golf, hunt or fish. We shoot, ski, kayak and hike.

Compare the AR to the A4 which is in production right now. And the A-4 is NOT fully auto. It's 3 shot burst. And the A-4 is still the best light battle rifle in the world. The AR stacks up pretty damned close to it. BTW, I used 1000 bucks for a bottom limit on a decent AR because the Colt Model 750 sold for less than that just before it was discontinued. The Colt Model 6920 is still in production and you can buy brand new for under 1000 just like the LAWs can. And the Colt Model 6920 has become the gold standard for the ARs. If you were anything other than a Rexall Ranger you would know this and not spew the crap you are upchucking. Google is your best friend.

You are a CultAR member, alright.

Don't be a piker.

Compare the AR to the A4 which is in production right now. And the A-4 is NOT fully auto. It's 3 shot burst. And the A-4 is still the best light battle rifle in the world. The AR stacks up pretty damned close to it. BTW, I used 1000 bucks for a bottom limit on a decent AR because the Colt Model 750 sold for less than that just before it was discontinued. The Colt Model 6920 is still in production and you can buy brand new for under 1000 just like the LAWs can. And the Colt Model 6920 has become the gold standard for the ARs. If you were anything other than a Rexall Ranger you would know this and not spew the crap you are upchucking. Google is your best friend.

Still the A-4 is a combat choice weapon, due to it having the automatic 3 round burst capability, not present in the AR-15 platform, without illegal modifications and parts.
Colt may have led the way on the AR-15, but they are not the gold standard of quality, performance operation or longevity. I think they have completely gotten out of the AR-15 market, as it became more competitive. The genie is out of the bottle on the design, so other manufacturers are making higher grade components that interchange in the design. You can get a good AR-15 off the rack, so to speak, but a better one for less if you choose your components based on the type shooting and specific desires. I do not have a single Colt component in mine. I view Colt as paying for the name, when you can get better for less, though opinions definitely vary.

Don't be a piker.

Still the A-4 is a combat choice weapon, due to it having the automatic 3 round burst capability, not present in the AR-15 platform, without illegal modifications and parts.
Colt may have led the way on the AR-15, but they are not the gold standard of quality, performance operation or longevity. I think they have completely gotten out of the AR-15 market, as it became more competitive. The genie is out of the bottle on the design, so other manufacturers are making higher grade components that interchange in the design. You can get a good AR-15 off the rack, so to speak, but a better one for less if you choose your components based on the type shooting and specific desires. I do not have a single Colt component in mine. I view Colt as paying for the name, when you can get better for less, though opinions definitely vary.

Keep digging that hole.
:dig:

Forum List

Back