This Republican has got it right.

This man gets it.
I don't understand why other Republicans don't.

View attachment 508750
Here's the only assault weapon I own:

longland1.jpg

All the rest are sporting or home defense weapons:

wm_7511133.jpg

255280-800488.jpg

Almost forgot my other assault weapon, my reproduction 1874 Sharps Carbine:

wm_4497042.jpg
The old fart holding the sign is very ignorant

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting

Attachments

• 636C6248-795E-4351-BF86-8F1F37461D45.jpeg
    636C6248-795E-4351-BF86-8F1F37461D45.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 11
What is an assault rifle and how does it differ from a regular rifle?

One is designed to kill 20 people in 10 seconds and the other one isn't.
One is designed for military use and warfare, the other one isn't.
Any other incredibly stupid questions?
You aren't going to kill 20 people in 10 second with a semi-automatic weapon, and we already prohibit full auto weapons in this country for civilian use. Got any other good exaggerations to impress the people that know nothing about weapons?

I keep showing the differences and the samilarities between the AR and the M-16 and why both can be used in a combat situation without any loss of performance.

You aren't going to kill 20 people in 10 second with a semi-automatic weapon, and we already prohibit full auto weapons in this country for civilian use. Got any other good exaggerations to impress the people that know nothing about weapons?

I keep showing the differences and the samilarities between the AR and the M-16 and why both can be used in a combat situation without any loss of performance.
They could both be used in combat, of course. You could use my 30/30 in combat. Big difference is that in combat, sometimes you want to put a lot of rounds down range quicker than you can keep your head up to zero on a specific target. High cyclic rate of fire on a lightweight frame is a big advantage. At the same time, it is a very accurate weapon at 200 to 400 meters if you can take a precision shot. Makes a good varmint rifle for day or night, good home defense, though I do not keep mine loaded with armor piercing green tip. That chassis if an all around good platform for a lot of uses and great fun to shoot on outdoor ranges. The question of whether I would want to take an AR-15 into combat is decidedly "NO". M-16s are selective single shot semi-automatic or full auto. M-4 can go single, auto 3 round bursts or full automatic. Combat situations are very fluid and dynamic, with every thing from fire fights, to kicking in doors and clearing rooms. There is also a great variance in the skill level and self-control of the users, also effecting utility choice of what makes a good combat weapon. I can tell you, (hands down) do not take an AR-15 into general extended period, variety mission combat, if you have a choice. It would be a bad decision. Despite the combat, bad- ass look. It is not a combat weapon.

They could both be used in combat, of course. You could use my 30/30 in combat. Big difference is that in combat, sometimes you want to put a lot of rounds down range quicker than you can keep your head up to zero on a specific target. High cyclic rate of fire on a lightweight frame is a big advantage. At the same time, it is a very accurate weapon at 200 to 400 meters if you can take a precision shot. Makes a good varmint rifle for day or night, good home defense, though I do not keep mine loaded with armor piercing green tip. That chassis if an all around good platform for a lot of uses and great fun to shoot on outdoor ranges. The question of whether I would want to take an AR-15 into combat is decidedly "NO". M-16s are selective single shot semi-automatic or full auto. M-4 can go single, auto 3 round bursts or full automatic. Combat situations are very fluid and dynamic, with every thing from fire fights, to kicking in doors and clearing rooms. There is also a great variance in the skill level and self-control of the users, also effecting utility choice of what makes a good combat weapon. I can tell you, (hands down) do not take an AR-15 into general extended period, variety mission combat, if you have a choice. It would be a bad decision. Despite the combat, bad- ass look. It is not a combat weapon.

This vindicates my thoughts. Whilst not disputing it's value in a combat situation, why would your average person want one other than a testosterone filled power play. Not a lot of combat situations on your average street. Certainly not the type to carry around for personal protection. It's bullshit. It's not needed.

This vindicates my thoughts. Whilst not disputing it's value in a combat situation, why would your average person want one other than a testosterone filled power play. Not a lot of combat situations on your average street. Certainly not the type to carry around for personal protection. It's bullshit. It's not needed.
It is a fine multipurpose weapon platform, great for reasonable distance target practice, varmint and small game up to and including deer, unless you are shooting from mountainside to mountain side. Far easier to disassemble, clean and maintain than most of what are thought of as hunting rifles, if putting the same number of rounds down range. It's commonality across the platform makes it ideal to accept a wide variety of customizations of different manufacture. I assembled my AR from 3 different manufacturers and 5 suppliers vying for my business with parts that were interchangeable, allowing me to pick and choose based on what I thought was most important in terms of manufacturer, quality, materials, rated reviews, and price, to put the best money on the most important components, or options. I use 20 and 30 round magazines for range work, as I don't hunt anymore, as long as Kroger stays open. Besides, I already know I can hit and kill anything I aim at, without having to drag it out of the woods, skin it, clean it and process it. The higher capacity magazines than on hunting rifles allow me to put more rounds downrange without having to stop, reload, reposition, leave the line in some cases, come back, set up and resume shooting. I call it range work, because that is what it is. I am serious about quality range time. The goal being to put as much lead on hard targets at various distance, from various shooting positions, various conditions as possible, in order to maintain a high level of proficiency, close to or actually exceeding my level back in the day, when I was regularly training myself and others, while running every type of weapons range imaginable.
It is not what I depend on for home defense, but there if I need it with multiple magazines loaded right above it. Somebody breaking in would be facing my 9 MM Walther PPQ or a shotgun, as all are loaded, all the time. On the other hand, though not expecting a drive-by in my neighborhood, their car would be facing armor piercing capability that their windshields certainly would not slow down or deflect, nor would the block of their engine. So, yes it is a viable addition to your home defense plan and equipment, in any event, as I do keep multiple magazines loaded, but only the ones with red tape around the bottom are armor piercing. Most ranges don't like the use of M855 ammo, as it is hard on the steel targets.
Again, the AR-15 is not a combat weapon. Great training for firing the combat arms version, but certainly nothing to carry into military style combat, if you have a choice.

It is a fine multipurpose weapon platform, great for reasonable distance target practice, varmint and small game up to and including deer, unless you are shooting from mountainside to mountain side. Far easier to disassemble, clean and maintain than most of what are thought of as hunting rifles, if putting the same number of rounds down range. It's commonality across the platform makes it ideal to accept a wide variety of customizations of different manufacture. I assembled my AR from 3 different manufacturers and 5 suppliers vying for my business with parts that were interchangeable, allowing me to pick and choose based on what I thought was most important in terms of manufacturer, quality, materials, rated reviews, and price, to put the best money on the most important components, or options. I use 20 and 30 round magazines for range work, as I don't hunt anymore, as long as Kroger stays open. Besides, I already know I can hit and kill anything I aim at, without having to drag it out of the woods, skin it, clean it and process it. The higher capacity magazines than on hunting rifles allow me to put more rounds downrange without having to stop, reload, reposition, leave the line in some cases, come back, set up and resume shooting. I call it range work, because that is what it is. I am serious about quality range time. The goal being to put as much lead on hard targets at various distance, from various shooting positions, various conditions as possible, in order to maintain a high level of proficiency, close to or actually exceeding my level back in the day, when I was regularly training myself and others, while running every type of weapons range imaginable.
It is not what I depend on for home defense, but there if I need it with multiple magazines loaded right above it. Somebody breaking in would be facing my 9 MM Walther PPQ or a shotgun, as all are loaded, all the time. On the other hand, though not expecting a drive-by in my neighborhood, their car would be facing armor piercing capability that their windshields certainly would not slow down or deflect, nor would the block of their engine. So, yes it is a viable addition to your home defense plan and equipment, in any event, as I do keep multiple magazines loaded, but only the ones with red tape around the bottom are armor piercing. Most ranges don't like the use of M855 ammo, as it is hard on the steel targets.
Again, the AR-15 is not a combat weapon. Great training for firing the combat arms version, but certainly nothing to carry into military style combat, if you have a choice.

You can stop this nonsense at any time. As a Retired Military and an old avid shooter, I don't see any advantage between a M-16A-4 and a decent AR-15 in a combat situation. In fact, in a real world situation, the custom AR-15 will out perform the M-16A-4 because it's more adaptable.

Once again (and I'll type slowly and use small words), the M-16A-4 (which is the most widely used M-16) is not really a full automatic rifle. The A-1 and A-3 were both full auto but both were dropped due to the "Spray and Pray" which broke the Combat 11th Commandment of "Thow Shalt not run out of ammo in a battle lest you end up dead". The A-2 and A-4 went to the 3 shot burst but it's been found that only the first shot is on target while the 2nd is slightly off target and the 3rd needs the proverbial barn door to be present. In actual combat the M-16 is fired using the semi auto setting to conserve ammo. And even then, it goes through a lot of ammo fast and you have to watch out for the 11th commandment.

Now, what is the difference? The lower receiver. The Lower Receiver is the only part on the M-16 OR the AR-15 that is controlled. All other parts are handled like a Candy Bar in a Vending machine. The AR-15 lower receiver can be purchased through any licensed firearms dealer. The M-16A-4 receiver must be purchased from either Colt or FN and it falls under the Federal Arms Automatic Weapons Law. Can I used a lower receiver from a M-16 on a Colt Model 750 (also known as an AR-15)? Yes, it bolts right on and makes the AR into the M. Can a Arms Machinist modify an ARs lower receiver to fire full auto? Yes, with little more than a drill bit. What prevents the ARs from receiving the modded lower receiver or the M-16 lower receivers? Very, Very long prison sentences and very active ATF agents.

As to why both are so similar, they come from the same gun, the Armalite AR-15 which Armalite then Colt produced as the Armalite and Colt AR-15 Model 601 starting in 1958.

Another tidbit of history, the AR-10 (which begat the AR-15) was produced in competition to the M-14 but lost out because the test versions were turned over to the Army with the composite barrels instead of the steel one. In reality, the AR-10 was far superior to the M-14 in all categories.

So you Rexall Rangers keep gumming yer jaws.

While I am not in the gunnutters camp, I do see why. Why do I have a car with over 400 hp. (it started out with a paltry 345). The difference is, Only a couple of States are trying to make it legal for Motorheads to kill pedestrians. And then it won't be Motorheads like me because it won't be HP or handling, it's going to be curb weight.

The modern M-16 and the M-4 is NOT a full Auto Rifle. Both of the issued weapons are either semi auto or 3 shot burst. And the 3 shot burst is virtually worthless after the 1st shot. That means that is not an advantage at all. And that is the ONLY difference in the firing peformance between the two. Troops use the semi auto setting in combat for control and to save ammo. I would go as far to say, if there were a full auto setting on a A-4 version the AR-15 would be a better combat rifle because of the combat 11th Commandment.

"Thou Shall Not Run out of Ammo During Combat Lest You End up Dead".

You can stop this nonsense at any time. As a Retired Military and an old avid shooter, I don't see any advantage between a M-16A-4 and a decent AR-15 in a combat situation. In fact, in a real world situation, the custom AR-15 will out perform the M-16A-4 because it's more adaptable.

Once again (and I'll type slowly and use small words), the M-16A-4 (which is the most widely used M-16) is not really a full automatic rifle. The A-1 and A-3 were both full auto but both were dropped due to the "Spray and Pray" which broke the Combat 11th Commandment of "Thow Shalt not run out of ammo in a battle lest you end up dead". The A-2 and A-4 went to the 3 shot burst but it's been found that only the first shot is on target while the 2nd is slightly off target and the 3rd needs the proverbial barn door to be present. In actual combat the M-16 is fired using the semi auto setting to conserve ammo. And even then, it goes through a lot of ammo fast and you have to watch out for the 11th commandment.

Now, what is the difference? The lower receiver. The Lower Receiver is the only part on the M-16 OR the AR-15 that is controlled. All other parts are handled like a Candy Bar in a Vending machine. The AR-15 lower receiver can be purchased through any licensed firearms dealer. The M-16A-4 receiver must be purchased from either Colt or FN and it falls under the Federal Arms Automatic Weapons Law. Can I used a lower receiver from a M-16 on a Colt Model 750 (also known as an AR-15)? Yes, it bolts right on and makes the AR into the M. Can a Arms Machinist modify an ARs lower receiver to fire full auto? Yes, with little more than a drill bit. What prevents the ARs from receiving the modded lower receiver or the M-16 lower receivers? Very, Very long prison sentences and very active ATF agents.

As to why both are so similar, they come from the same gun, the Armalite AR-15 which Armalite then Colt produced as the Armalite and Colt AR-15 Model 601 starting in 1958.

Another tidbit of history, the AR-10 (which begat the AR-15) was produced in competition to the M-14 but lost out because the test versions were turned over to the Army with the composite barrels instead of the steel one. In reality, the AR-10 was far superior to the M-14 in all categories.

I am well aware that the spray and pray method isn't ammo conservation friendly, and it is nothing I ever trained anybody on, though most retired service people my age have put an entire magazine down range with one trigger pull, at least in a range setting. I have been military retired since the 90s and the A-1 was what was mostly what was in the system then. When I started, it was all that was in the system. Still, you and I both know, the ability to fire a short burst rather than a single shot is a decided advantage if only on the move to a different position and is not something an AR-15 can do. With the A-1 you just had to develop the discipline control the burst yourself. Now it takes a couple of pulls to do what a Sergeant would put a boot up your butt if you did not learn to control your rate of fire. That short burst ability is what makes the A-4 a chosen combat weapon, not the fact that it can fire a single 5.56 round every time you pull the trigger. I don't know if you are anti-AR weapons or not, but you do nobody any favors, trying to hype the AR-15 as a combat weapon, but hype is what it is, because that inability is what reduces it's usefulness as a combat weapon. There is far too much hype in the gun control debate already.

I am well aware that the spray and pray method isn't ammo conservation friendly, and it is nothing I ever trained anybody on, though most retired service people my age have put an entire magazine down range with one trigger pull, at least in a range setting. I have been military retired since the 90s and the A-1 was what was mostly what was in the system then. When I started, it was all that was in the system. Still, you and I both know, the ability to fire a short burst rather than a single shot is a decided advantage if only on the move to a different position and is not something an AR-15 can do. With the A-1 you just had to develop the discipline control the burst yourself. Now it takes a couple of pulls to do what a Sergeant would put a boot up your butt if you did not learn to control your rate of fire. That short burst ability is what makes the A-4 a chosen combat weapon, not the fact that it can fire a single 5.56 round every time you pull the trigger. I don't know if you are anti-AR weapons or not, but you do nobody any favors, trying to hype the AR-15 as a combat weapon, but hype is what it is, because that inability is what reduces it's usefulness as a combat weapon. There is far too much hype in the gun control debate already.

I don't have to do any hype on the AR. That's being done on at least a monthly basis in mass shootings or attempts. Much like the near miss in Denver today. Those weren't 9mms or any other calibers. Those weren't handguns. Those weren't what is known as top quality varmint rifles. Those were all AR-15s with 30 shot mags. The shooter was going for the new record and brought the tools to do the job. No hype there. Reality check, buttons. The AR can do the same job in that situation as any M-16 of any version before they can get in there and stop the shooter. And, yes, most of the equipment was illegally brought into the state. And that was what got it noticed. Had he used home grown stuff, he would not be able to go "For the Record" so much. But he brought in the good stuff. And those weren't cheap ARs either. They were of at least equal quality to any M-16A-4 made today. I imagine that he would have gone through 4 mags per rifle and 6 rifles before he had to stop and wait a few minutes. By then, the LEOs would be breaking down his door. Even so, that would be 720 rounds in less than 4 minutes with accuracy. You can't hype that anymore than it's already hyped.

In fact, in a real world situation, the custom AR-15 will out perform the M-16A-4 because it's more adaptable.

In a custom situation, which none of the off-the-rack ARs are.

The exception isn't, and is illogical to be treated as, the norm, Corky.

In fact, in a real world situation, the custom AR-15 will out perform the M-16A-4 because it's more adaptable.

If I am going for the new Body Count, I would easily spend as much as 1000 bucks per AR to make sure that the proper chromium and tolerances were there which would exceed the M-16 quality. Plus the railing would be superior. Just like the Nevada Shooter did and you can bet, the Denver shooter did. YOu just as well max out the old Credit Cards because you ain't getting out of this one to pay them off anyway.

Don't be a piker.

If I am going for the new Body Count, I would easily spend as much as 1000 bucks per AR to make sure that the proper chromium and tolerances were there which would exceed the M-16 quality. Plus the railing would be superior. Just like the Nevada Shooter did and you can bet, the Denver shooter did. YOu just as well max out the old Credit Cards because you ain't getting out of this one to pay them off anyway.

Don't be a piker.
Couldn't care less...If I were going for a body count, I would use a big bomb.

You're blaming the inanimate object, like every other nose picking gun grabber.

I don't have to do any hype on the AR. That's being done on at least a monthly basis in mass shootings or attempts. Much like the near miss in Denver today. Those weren't 9mms or any other calibers. Those weren't handguns. Those weren't what is known as top quality varmint rifles. Those were all AR-15s with 30 shot mags. The shooter was going for the new record and brought the tools to do the job. No hype there. Reality check, buttons. The AR can do the same job in that situation as any M-16 of any version before they can get in there and stop the shooter. And, yes, most of the equipment was illegally brought into the state. And that was what got it noticed. Had he used home grown stuff, he would not be able to go "For the Record" so much. But he brought in the good stuff. And those weren't cheap ARs either. They were of at least equal quality to any M-16A-4 made today. I imagine that he would have gone through 4 mags per rifle and 6 rifles before he had to stop and wait a few minutes. By then, the LEOs would be breaking down his door. Even so, that would be 720 rounds in less than 4 minutes with accuracy. You can't hype that anymore than it's already hyped.
So he had illegal weapons that could be set to fire a 3 round burst? That would be equal to the M-4 or M-16-A4 if that is a more correct designation. You can imagine whatever you want. Don't give me that crap about 720 rounds in less than 4 minutes with accuracy if you are talking about 1 guy. You are just anti-AR type weapons. I can't put 720 rounds through an AR-15 accurately, changing magazines while I do it, engaging multiple targets in 4 minute and neither can you nor anybody else. You are the KING of Hype and not even a bright one.

Don't be a piker.
Couldn't care less...If I were going for a body count, I would use a big bomb.

You're blaming the inanimate object, like every other nose picking gun grabber.

And when you are gathering that van full of ingredients and at least two parts of it are regulated and you get hauled just down Interstate 25 to Max Lockup, what then? You and Noriega can think sweet obscene thoughts about each other.

You are part of 2 Cults and don't even understand what they are. But not to worry, Colorado Laws tripped up this one like we have a few others in the past.

So he had illegal weapons that could be set to fire a 3 round burst? That would be equal to the M-4 or M-16-A4 if that is a more correct designation. You can imagine whatever you want. Don't give me that crap about 720 rounds in less than 4 minutes with accuracy if you are talking about 1 guy. You are just anti-AR type weapons. I can't put 720 rounds through an AR-15 accurately, changing magazines while I do it, engaging multiple targets in 4 minute and neither can you nor anybody else. You are the KING of Hype and not even a bright one.

You don't have to. In a crowded saturated situation, just get it into the crowd with minimum barrel creep. Just fire off those 720 rounds in less than 4 minutes (easily done in an AR) and let each round hit 3 targets. Keep the barrel moving for maximum effect.

But I forget, you are a Rexall Ranger, not a shooter.

BTW, his weapons weren't illegal. His Mags were illegal. He had the right to have a hundred ARs in that room is his lease or rental agreement allowed it. But he had a bunch of 30 round Mags. Had he been completely legal, they would have checked his weapons, made sure that everything was within the State Laws and moved on. And he would have had his body count chance. But he would not have had a chance at the Las Vegas body count record.

I have been involved in ONE overrun. IT didn't matter if you fired with pin point accuracy or not. You only kept your firing level and moved it from side to side in semi auto as quick as you could. You emptied out a mag, jammed in the next until the barrel over heated, tossed the M-16 to the outside, grabbed the next one, rinse, repeat. In fact, it's night and we couldn't even see the enemy but at first we could hear him. By the time it was ended, we couldn't hear a damned thing for hours.

Forum List

Back