This is Why We Must Let the 1619 Project be Taught to Students

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
I read consistently the ignorance of racists here about whites dying to free us from slavery.

That claim is classic historical revisionism.
First to Serve-1st Kansas Colored Infantry Regiment
1643618865365.png

Captain William Mathews

During the celebration of the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863 at Fort Scott, Kansas, Captain William D. Mathews, commanding Company D of 1st Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry Regiment, gave a speech highlighting the opportunity for blacks to fight in the Civil War (1861-1865). He declared: "Today is a day that I always thought would come …Now is our time to strike. Our own exertions and our own muscle must make us men. If we fight we shall be respected. I see that a well-licked man respects the one who thrashes him."

The 1st Kansas Colored Infantry first saw combat at the Battle of Island Mound in Missouri on October 29, 1862. In this skirmish, roughly 225 black troops drove off 500 Confederate guerillas.

Freedom was their Cause

African Americans served in the Union Army for many reasons, and it is clear that the efforts of more than 180,000 black soldiers directly contributed to Union victory.

The Union Army consisted of many Black units, approximately 10% of the Union Army at one point.

Is there any currently used History text denying this fact?
Apparently so when I keep reading whites here telling me how whites fought to free us from slavery.

Apparently so when I keep reading whites here telling me how whites fought to free us from slavery.

Hundreds of thousands did ... that in no way diminished the contribution of Blacks who also fought to do the same.

" [The 1619 Project] aims to reframe the country's history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans at the very center of the United States' national narrative."

-- New York Times, August 17 2019

While anyone interested in History would welcome more inclusion on the contributions of Blacks (Asians, Hispanics, and Jews as well) into the narrative. The 1619 Project seeks to oppose bias from History by replacing it with another bias in the name of objectivity. A lateral move at best.

I read consistently the ignorance of racists here about whites dying to free us from slavery.

View attachment 595103
Captain William Mathews

During the celebration of the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863 at Fort Scott, Kansas, Captain William D. Mathews, commanding Company D of 1st Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry Regiment, gave a speech highlighting the opportunity for blacks to fight in the Civil War (1861-1865). He declared: "Today is a day that I always thought would come …Now is our time to strike. Our own exertions and our own muscle must make us men. If we fight we shall be respected. I see that a well-licked man respects the one who thrashes him."

The 1st Kansas Colored Infantry first saw combat at the Battle of Island Mound in Missouri on October 29, 1862. In this skirmish, roughly 225 black troops drove off 500 Confederate guerillas.

Freedom was their Cause

African Americans served in the Union Army for many reasons, and it is clear that the efforts of more than 180,000 black soldiers directly contributed to Union victory.

I’ve not seen anyone suggest *not* teaching that black soldiers fought to end slavery in the Civil War.

Why is it ignorant to say that many whites fought to end slavery? How is that historical revisionism?

You're right; whites didn't. It was all about $; the North wanted the South's wealth and raw materials. The South wanted their own Nation where they were in charge of their own future. Slavery was a post-war justification.

btw; the North used Blacks as cannon fodder. cool, hey!!!

Greg

You're right; whites didn't. It was all about $; the North wanted the South's wealth and raw materials. The South wanted their own Nation where they were in charge of their own future. Slavery was a post-war justification.

Greg
Why did Lincoln emancipate the slaves if that was never a goal of the war? Why bother?

I’ve not seen anyone suggest *not* teaching that black soldiers fought to end slavery in the Civil War.

Why is it ignorant to say that many whites fought to end slavery? How is that historical revisionism?
Because whites did not fight to free us and furthermore people who make such a claim act like nobody black fought.

Greg
The south used blacks for slaves.

Why did Lincoln emancipate the slaves if that was never a goal of the war? Why bother?
Of course he did; IM2 is an idiot!!! Whether slavery was 1 or 2 on the reasons is hardly worth arguing over; both were significant though I think the $ was probably the main reason. Not to say that slavery wasn't important.

IM2 simply wants to glorify his tribe...and yet he still votes demoKKKrat; crazy chap!!!

Greg

Slavery was ending.. that should be in every context.
Abe Lincoln wanted to send blacks that we’re living on families properties and houses for generations to the Caribbean. The only thing protecting that black family was slavery, even though it slowly ending.
Not letting the slave transfer to Kansas and other new territories actually hurt blacks. That was going to be reparations, giving them land. But nope north said no black can travel.
Teach all of history

The south used blacks for slaves.
Blacks also used blacks as slaves.. blacks were free .. the first person killed in the The revolutionary war was a black man.
stop painting America as bad. You sound very treasonous

How incredibly revised...
Actually, factually, they did. Hundreds of thousands. Jim Crow was a Democrat. They still do exist. Vote for them some more, lol...
Truth can't be revised. Learn that. Then start posting truth. If Jim Crow was democrat why did it last 70 years with republicans and democrats in power?

View attachment 595103
Captain William Mathews

Freedom was their Cause

There aren't any racist here that I have seen but I won't argue because I just saw how foolish it is on a parody,lol.

Forum List

Back