Thirteen Lives: Amazon Prime

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
A rescue movie.
It's been done, and it will be done again.
You pretty much know what is going to happen, the interest is watching it happen. And depending on how well the producers/director does their job - is whether you will get something out of that.
Ron Howard was the director. So it was done well.
Perhaps just a little too long... (2 Hr 27 min) towards the end, you are ready for it to end. You start to feel that length. So I think it would have been better at around the 2 hr mark.
It is a good movie, the underwater and cave photography was done extremely well - you felt like you were in the water with them.
A solid cast, the foreign actors were mostly good... a little clunky a few times... but overall a movie worth watching.

Sounds like a good movie
It was an amazing story and Ron Howard is great at these types of films

What I like about Netflix and Amazon is that I don’t have to watch a 3 hour movie in one shot.
I can come back and watch the last hour later

Sounds like a good movie

What I like about Netflix and Amazon is that I don’t have to watch a 3 hour movie in one shot.
It is a good movie. Hope I didn't come off saying otherwise. I didn't intend to.
Overall a solid movie. A little too long, some of the foreign actors are a little wonky... but other than that definitely worth watching.

A rescue movie.
It's been done, and it will be done again.
You pretty much know what is going to happen, the interest is watching it happen. And depending on how well the producers/director does their job - is whether you will get something out of that.
Ron Howard was the director. So it was done well.
Perhaps just a little too long... (2 Hr 27 min) towards the end, you are ready for it to end. You start to feel that length. So I think it would have been better at around the 2 hr mark.
It is a good movie, the underwater and cave photography was done extremely well - you felt like you were in the water with them.
A solid cast, the foreign actors were mostly good... a little clunky a few times... but overall a movie worth watching.

I loved it. Great acting, great scenes. Even though I was familiar with what happened it was still enthralling.

Did this just come out? I remember watching a movie about the cave rescue of the 13 and it was good. I love these kind of movies.

I remember after this happened that the Thai government was behind the making of a movie about it and they had these very strict protocols in place about who could make it, as they had the "film rights" (whatever that means) and I have no idea if they went thru with it, or if this is independently made by Howard, or if he had some kind of cooperation from the Thai government.

I am looking forward to seeing it, I enjoyed the film on the 33 Chilean miners who were trapped, and I think I'll like this even more. I don't like movies that last over 1.5 hours, so thanks for the heads up on its length. I'll watch it over a few nights.

watched last night

Good movie, only complaints

Captions were too small and flashed across the screen too fast
I would have liked to see more from the perspective of the boys. Especially what happened when they saw the water rising in the cave and how they survived the first eight days before being found

Got a chance to watch and it was a great movie. I didn't know that was how they got the boys out of the cave. The other movie I saw had a bigger focus on the kids in the cave, I remember something about the kids swimming out of the cave, I think one of the divers stayed back and was teaching them how to breath in the mask and they wanted to know who could swim, if I'm remembering correctly. This movie was much more intense, especially the diving scenes.

Sounds like a good movie

Sounds good. When I was young and foolish, I dived some caves in Florida. After nearly dying in one, I gave it for good.

Sounds good. When I was young and foolish, I dived some caves in Florida. After nearly dying in one, I gave it for good.
Yep... when I was I think about 12 years old, me and two other boys got lost in a cave. Thankfully one of my buddies older brother found out we went by ourselves and went to the cave exit and went in to make sure we got out and found us.
Never went into another cave in my life. The terrifying feeling of being lost in the dark is not something you forget

Yep... when I was I think about 12 years old, me and two other boys got lost in a cave. Thankfully one of my buddies older brother found out we went by ourselves and went to the cave exit and went in to make sure we got out and found us.
Never went into another cave in my life. The terrifying feeling of being lost in the dark is not something you forget
I understand exactly. When I was young and foolish living in Florida I began scuba diving, first off the beaches then off boats in the Gulf and the Keys, and then the Bahamas. Then I became interested in freshwater diving. I started cave diving, first with a dive club and then with just my buddy.

I heard about a deep sinkhole only few miles from home so I decided to check it out. It was about 100 feet in diameter and the blueish water I had ever seen. My dive buddy was out of town so I did what no diver should ever do, I put on my scuba gear and jumped in the water alone. I went down a ways and then swam horizontal for a while and finally hit some type of wall. I then did what was probably the second dumbest thing in diving, I didn't check my depth gage. I decide I would swim down the wall to the bottom. After a little while I check my depth gauge and I thought it must be broken. It said 150 feet. At that depth, I had only about 10 mins of air at that depth so I started swimming straight up. As I swam light from surface started to dim a bit. I thought how can this be, but I swam on till I hit a ledge above me. What I didn't know about this sink hole was that it had a very small opening that I entered and it spread out in all directions with ledges and small caves after a depth of 10 or 15 feet. I was some distance from opening so I moved in what I thought was the right direction using the ledge above me as a guide. That of course cause silt to cloud the water and all I could see was silt in all directions. I then panicked and swam as fast as could in what I hoped was the right direction, then I swam in another direction and then another. Then I decided to swim in one direction which I hope was right.

I guess I was living right or just lucky but I found the opening I had entered. My pressure gauge showed almost no air. And that was the last time I ever dove in a place I could not clearly see the surface. Today over 50 years later, I still avoid any kind of cave.

I understand exactly. When I was young and foolish living in Florida I began scuba diving, first off the beaches then off boats in the Gulf and the Keys, and then the Bahamas. Then I became interested in freshwater diving. I started cave diving, first with a dive club and then with just my buddy.

I heard about a deep sinkhole only few miles from home so I decided to check it out. It was about 100 feet in diameter and the blueish water I had ever seen. My dive buddy was out of town so I did what no diver should ever do, I put on my scuba gear and jumped in the water alone. I went down a ways and then swam horizontal for a while and finally hit some type of wall. I then did what was probably the second dumbest thing in diving, I didn't check my depth gage. I decide I would swim down the wall to the bottom. After a little while I check my depth gauge and I thought it must be broken. It said 150 feet. At that depth, I had only about 10 mins of air at that depth so I started swimming straight up. As I swam light from surface started to dim a bit. I thought how can this be, but I swam on till I hit a ledge above me. What I didn't know about this sink hole was that it had a very small opening that I entered and it spread out in all directions with ledges and small caves after a depth of 10 or 15 feet. I was some distance from opening so I moved in what I thought was the right direction using the ledge above me as a guide. That of course cause silt to cloud the water and all I could see was silt in all directions. I then panicked and swam as fast as could in what I hoped was the right direction, then I swam in another direction and then another. Then I decided to swim in one direction which I hope was right.

I guess I was living right or just lucky but I found the opening I had entered. My pressure gauge showed almost no air. And that was the last time I ever dove in a place I could not clearly see the surface. Today over 50 years later, I still avoid any kind of cave.
Wow... that is some story. At least you were smart enough not to just laugh it off and go do it again somewhere else

Wow... that is some story. At least you were smart enough not to just laugh it off and go do it again somewhere else
When you're young, you do stupid things. I look at my grandkids in their teens and know telling them how dangerous and ill advised their actions are is a waste of energy but I'll do it anyway just the way my mom and dad did and their parents. A lot of things you just have to learn the hard way.

Good movie, there were aspects of what happened that I did not know about, such as the flooding of nearby rice paddies, and how close they were to the rains making an escape impossible. What an incredible feat, and I very much recommend this movie, if you have not seen it. I did not find it too long, either.

Forum List

Back