The unprogressive evil of red flag laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormy Daniels

Gold Member
Mar 19, 2018
Red flag laws are based on a key, false, evil premise: Mental illness makes you a bad and defective person.

Negative stigma against admitting and addressing mental health needs has driven too many discussions for too long in our country. Access to mental healthcare remains limited in our country, and fear of judgement deters many people from seeking care.

Red flag laws serve only one purpose: To scapegoat the cultural deficiencies that lead to violent crime on a vulnerable, marginalized, minority group in society who lack the political clout to defend themselves through the public discussion.

About one quarter of the population experience diagnosable mental illness. Due to ongoing stigma and lack of public awareness, many will be unwilling or unable to identify with their healthcare needs, meaning that the effective proportion of the population is even less for political purposes.

Red flag laws are a back door to circumvent standard legal protections and violate constitutional rights.
The government has a right to intervene in certain things for the sake of protecting you--even from yourself. So the government does have a certain degree of authority to intervene in a suicide attempt, order evacuations of areas due to natural disasters, etc. But that ability is very limited, and often is more theoretical than literal. Red flag laws greatly extend the government's power to deprive an individual of their constitutional rights with no real cause. A person's rights do not evaporate upon being sick. But red flag laws mean the government can suspend or perpetually deprive the individual of rights even though they have committed no crime.

Red flag laws are not meant to take away guns from mentally ill people. Most mentally Ill people are not a danger

They are meant to temporarily remove guns from those who are demonstrating they are a danger to themselves or others

The kid across the street who tortures cats and is now stockpiling guns

The person with severe depression who talks of killing himself

The guy on the internet who is boasting that he wants to kill a large amount of people

You go to a judge and ask for an injunction to take the persons guns until the issue is resolved

Last edited:
We have seen how the paranoid and delusional AG Garland is branding dissenters of the Democrat Party's far left agenda as being "domestic terrorists" and "white supremists".
One of the things that he can do with that is "red flag" people.

In the United States, a red flag law is a gun control law that permits police or family members to petition a state court to order the temporary removal of firearms from a person who may present a danger to others or themselves. A judge makes the determination to issue the order based on statements and actions made by the gun owner in question. Refusal to comply with the order is punishable as a criminal offense.After a set time, the guns are returned to the person from whom they were seized unless another court hearing extends the period of confiscation

Common Sense solution to gun violence

Every law on the books has been abused or misused by agenda driven people in places of power.

Yeah, putting people on nobuy lists simply because they got mental health treatment is the objectionable notion. And it might not be a good idea to put a person on a nobuy or take their guns simply because they said they might off themselves.

Somebody threatening to kill themselves is an excellent time to take away their guns

In the United States, a red flag law is a gun control law that permits police or family members to petition a state court to order the temporary removal of firearms from a person who may present a danger to others or themselves. A judge makes the determination to issue the order based on statements and actions made by the gun owner in question. Refusal to comply with the order is punishable as a criminal offense.After a set time, the guns are returned to the person from whom they were seized unless another court hearing extends the period of confiscation

Common Sense solution to gun violence
Parents and friends are loathe to report such people. What would be considered extreme behavior to others is not to them.

"My friends forgive me of my sins." -Charlie Rich

Parents and friends are loathe to report such people. What would be considered extreme behavior to others is not to them.

"My friends forgive me of my sins." -Charlie Rich
That is part of the problem. Families should regulate family, but they don't and a member becomes a problem to society, the family or destructive to themself.

That is part of the problem. Families should regulate family, but they don't and a member becomes a problem to society, the family or destructive to themself.

With many of these mass killers, they have been giving signals for years
Their families are afraid of him and don’t know what to do

Red Flag gives them a chance to take his guns away until it is too late

Mental illness may or may not make you a "bad person" but it often results in bad decision making and fantasies that might lead to violence. That's a good enough reason to keep firearms out of the hands of persons who are determined either by a judge or a competent professional to be mentally ill.

With many of these mass killers, they have been giving signals for years
Their families are afraid of him and don’t know what to do

Red Flag gives them a chance to take his guns away until it is too late
I was raised in would be probably considered a close old-fashioned family environment by modern standards. I cannot see how they could miss signals or put off taking responsibility for their family members, but that seems to have become an old fashioned attitude. Adults and responsible sibling really are their bother's keepers, but this does not seem to be happening in modern day.

I was raised in would be probably considered a close old-fashioned family environment by modern standards. I cannot see how they could miss signals or put off taking responsibility for their family members, but that seems to have become an old fashioned attitude. Adults and responsible sibling really are their bother's keepers, but this does not seem to be happening in modern day.
Red Flag laws give families a tool to deal with a potentially violent child

Red flag laws are based on a key, false, evil premise: Mental illness makes you a bad and defective person.

Negative stigma against admitting and addressing mental health needs has driven too many discussions for too long in our country. Access to mental healthcare remains limited in our country, and fear of judgement deters many people from seeking care.

Red flag laws serve only one purpose: To scapegoat the cultural deficiencies that lead to violent crime on a vulnerable, marginalized, minority group in society who lack the political clout to defend themselves through the public discussion.

About one quarter of the population experience diagnosable mental illness. Due to ongoing stigma and lack of public awareness, many will be unwilling or unable to identify with their healthcare needs, meaning that the effective proportion of the population is even less for political purposes.

Red flag laws are a back door to circumvent standard legal protections and violate constitutional rights.
The government has a right to intervene in certain things for the sake of protecting you--even from yourself. So the government does have a certain degree of authority to intervene in a suicide attempt, order evacuations of areas due to natural disasters, etc. But that ability is very limited, and often is more theoretical than literal. Red flag laws greatly extend the government's power to deprive an individual of their constitutional rights with no real cause. A person's rights do not evaporate upon being sick. But red flag laws mean the government can suspend or perpetually deprive the individual of rights even though they have committed no crime.
I can understand why some who spend their time on line threatening others not liking red flag laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back