‘The United Nations Died Today’: UN Pleads For Putin To Stop Invasion, He Ignores Them

Doc7505

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2016

‘The United Nations Died Today’: UN Pleads For Putin To Stop Invasion, He Ignores Them​

24 FEb 2022 ~~ By Hank Berrien
On Wednesday, speaking after an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres begged Russian President Vladimir Putin to stop the war he had unleashed on Ukraine, pleading:
~Snip~
The ineffectual nature of the United Nations, which has no intrinsic military power of its own, and its incapacity to confront belligerent nations invading other nations, has been demonstrated again and again, and one critic took note, tweeting, “The United Nations died today (I personally think it was dead already but nothing left after tonight).”
~Snip~
The Council of Foreign Relations admitted in September 2020:
During the four decades of the Cold War, the UN became a venue for US-Soviet rivalry. The fact that the Cold War did not turn hot (as great power competition had twice before in the twentieth century) was due less to what happened at the UN than to nuclear deterrence and a balance of power that compelled significant caution in US and Soviet behavior. The principal occasion when the UN intervened to maintain international peace – committing an international force to reverse North Korean aggression against South Korea – it could do so only because the Soviet Union was boycotting it.
Writing about the United Nations in National Review in 2017, Andrew McCarthy opined:
When you pretend that all states are equal, that there is no difference between the good guys and the bad guys, that is always a coup for the bad guys. And that’s what the U.N. is: a coup for the bad guys.
Think about it: We are voluntarily entered into an arrangement in which actions affecting American national security and prosperity are subject to the Security Council veto power of Vladimir Putin and the Communist Party of China – the principal patrons of the “Death to America” regime in Iran, the world’s leading sponsor of anti-American terrorism.

Commentary:
Regrettably, the UN never stopped a war. It was the fear of war that kept nations in check. No fear means more war.
Both the 'League of Nations' and its revised version the 'United Nations' have been toothless since their inception.
Even Woodrow Wilson decided it was worthless after he created it.
It is a failure in every way except pedophilia....it EXCELS at that!
It is the epitome of knowing what is wrong and repeating the same folly believing that this time it would be successful.

This brazen waging of war should be taken to the Security Council where Russia has one of the permanent seats and can therefore veto anything that might otherwise impact them.

Which means, the UN is useless. But then again, it almost always is.

We've seen sanctions, we've seen the US closing it's airspace, we've seen condemnations.

What we haven't seen is an actual demand with actual terms directed to Russia.

I know it's less than 24 hours, but you would expect if people were serious some ultimatum would go out. "Remove forces by X or face Y"

Even if it's just more sanctions.

This brazen waging of war should be taken to the Security Council where Russia has one of the permanent seats and can therefore veto anything that might otherwise impact them.

Which means, the UN is useless. But then again, it almost always is.
it seems so, at least in stopping wars...so whats the point of having a so called security council?......well maybe to point fingers at each other and eat lunch.....

Sanctions and their uselessness is why the League of Nations failed and disbanded. So maybe this thread title is right --- the UN is quite useless to stop war.

So according to Fox commentators, Joe Biden did NOTNOTNOT add SWIFT to the sanctions list. So since that was the only sanction with a point (essentially an economic boycott, used currently against North Korea and Iran), this is all just talkie-talkie and the whole thing will be forgotten within a month as soon as Russia takes over Ukraine and installs a puppet governor.

Putin did say during Crimea crisis that kicking them out of the SWIFT banking system would be considered an act of war. So Putin deterred the United States.

Well, no US soldier should spill a drop of blood for Ukraine...

So disband all international alliances and just let Russia reconstitute itself.....

Maybe the USSR was the wrong country to break up......maybe the US should have been the country to break up.....

Russia is doing everything right and the US is doing everything wrong...

#MAGA

I kind of believe that giving the appearance of weakness does invite more aggression. So all we get instead is an illusion of peace. Temporarily at that.

I asked the question yesterday or the day before, “what advice would you give” to Brandon. Frankly, I admit I don’t know. He is facing some tough decisions and both main options (beyond sanctions) are perilous anyway.

I kind of believe that giving the appearance of weakness does invite more aggression. So all we get instead is an illusion of peace. Temporarily at that.

I asked the question yesterday or the day before, “what advice would you give” to Brandon. Frankly, I admit I don’t know. He is facing some tough decisions and both main options (beyond sanctions) are perilous anyway.
He should ask Trump to take over as president so Trump can bring back world peace by his mere existence.....

Everyone knows that Trump is still the most powerful and strongest leader in the world -- but he can't be strong and powerful until Biden lets him.....

Yep. The UN is largely an international joke. It’s the League of Nations with more grandiose pretentious and a prettier building.
Yea, except not really. Maybe after Putin occupies the Ukraine for a while and it all goes to shit like Iraq did for Bush, he can ask the UN for help and declare a Mandate, like GW did?

Yea, except not really. Maybe after Putin occupies the Ukraine for a while and it all goes to shit like Iraq did for Bush, he can ask the UN for help and declare a Mandate, like GW did?
I dunno. The liberal brain trust here has claimed that about “half” of Ukraine wants Russian rule. If that’s true, maybe Putin will not face it all going to “shit” as you seem to predict. But that does leave at least the other half. I wonder what they’re about to see?

Forum List

Back