The Ugly Downside of "Democracy"

He’s not even a Canadian. He doesn’t live here and knows nothing about life in Canada.

He posted a long diatribe about about horrors of our “nanny program” like he’d just learned about it before posting. This program has been around since my kids were babies and the oldest will turn 50. There have been abuses but not many. He posted like the whole program was a massive was a massive sex trafficking scheme.

But then there’s his posts about being terrorized and having his life ruined by CSIS. There is a loony guy who sits out in front of the supreme court of Ontario with a sandwich board who says somethings similar. No Canadian I have ever met, who was in their right mind has had their life ruined by CSIS for speaking out.

Last but not least is his whole contention that the government of Canada is screwing over the Americans royally and taking advantage of your generosity and kindness. I figure he’s some sort of Russian troll who’s trying to sell the idea that Canada is your enemy because he sure as hell isn’t a Canadian.

If you think that one poster is the source on which I based my opinion, you'd be dead wrong. What you do in your nation is entirely your business and I have no right to an opinion on it. However, there are Canadians all over social media, and regular media, all over, who were very quick to say what they really thought of everything American as soon as Trump came on the scene.

Screw you, screw your nation. Many, many of us feel the same.

If you think that one poster is the source on which I based my opinion, you'd be dead wrong. What you do in your nation is entirely your business and I have no right to an opinion on it. However, there are Canadians all over social media, and regular media, all over, who were very quick to say what they really thought of everything American as soon as Trump came on the scene.

Screw you, screw your nation. Many, many of us feel the same.

Oh Sue. You poor thing. You can't take people being honest with you. I understand. Republicans have been feeding you the lies you want to hear for so long that the truth cuts deep.

I really don't give a rat's ass what you think about me, or my country. But my opinion is just as valid as yours on this message board. Me and the other foreign posters who are here, have just as much right to post on public board as you do. The owners could geo-block non-Americans but they don't. So just stop with your bullying and intimidation.

I will not tolerate being harassed or bullied by you or anyone else on account of my nationality. I've been on this board a lot longer than you have.

Oh Sue. You poor thing. You can't take people being honest with you. I understand. Republicans have been feeding you the lies you want to hear for so long that the truth cuts deep.

I really don't give a rat's ass what you think about me, or my country. But my opinion is just as valid as yours on this message board. Me and the other foreign posters who are here, have just as much right to post on public board as you do. The owners could geo-block non-Americans but they don't. So just stop with your bullying and intimidation.

I will not tolerate being harassed or bullied by you or anyone else on account of my nationality. I've been on this board a lot longer than you have.

I never said, nor would I ever say, you don't have a right to post on this board. I am saying I do not give one fig what you say about American politics, American issues, or anything American. Because you are not an American. You can go cry about "harassing and bullying", I don't really care. It's the truth and at least half the nation is just where I am. Screw off, Canada. We don't care.

PS I laughed after I finished the post regarding the "Harassing and bullying" whine. I mean really. You come to a board titled "US message board", bitch up a fit about all things American 24/7, and then whine like an infant when you're being "harassed due to your nationality". No, sweetheart, you're being harassed for being a terrible, uncouth, impolite, crude, snide neighbor.

For perspective:

I would NEVER--and I mean NEVER--sign up for a Canadian message board, titled "Canadian Message Board", and then have the horrid manners to complain about your leaders, politics, policies, people and etc to my NEIGHBORS, on their message board.

You do. And then when some of us complain, cry about "harassing and bullying". Okay, dragonlady. Maybe do a little self-reflection on that.

But that is lame to call opinion meaningless basing on one's citizenship. If that is bullshit then that is bullshit, no matter who wrote it.
I'm not sure what country you reside from, but think about this...If you had someone constantly tearing down your country, while your country was responsible for the security, and prosperity of the person's country who is tearing down your country, I'd wager you wouldn't take too kindly to that either...

You claimed I lied, couldn't point it so now you're just warning me not to lie. Eat a dick.

I'm carrying on that you are posting about Canadian politics? I think you're a tad confused.
Wow! really? You insert yourself into me telling Dragonbreath why I coulnd't care any less about a Canadian's opinion of the United States, and our policies, and you think I am commenting on Canadian politics? Who's confused?

I think that's you pal.

I'm not sure what country you reside from, but think about this...If you had someone constantly tearing down your country, while your country was responsible for the security, and prosperity of the person's country who is tearing down your country, I'd wager you wouldn't take too kindly to that either...
I take it you are talking about the Canadians now. You should take into account that their mentality seems to be much closer to a 'European' one that to the Americans'.

And because of that, some the US matters seem too extreme for them. The Second amendment is good but not the only one example.

I take it you are talking about the Canadians now. You should take into account that their mentality seems to be much closer to a 'European' one that to the Americans'.

And because of that, some the US matters seem too extreme for them. The Second amendment is good but not the only one example.
Oh believe me I know...Spent several years living in Germany...I know full well how European's view the US.....

So, allowing people to own a tool is too extreme for you? Why? Is it because you can't be trusted with that right?

Oh believe me I know...Spent several years living in Germany...I know full well how European's view the US.....

So, allowing people to own a tool is too extreme for you? Why? Is it because you can't be trusted with that right?
Well, some time ago, I also considered this right to be a far extreme case. I should admit that opponents of this clause have a good reasoning base by comparing the American criminal rates with European ones.

But now, I am not so sure about that. Over the time, I have gotten to conclusion that a linear dependency is not quite true while comparing these rates with the number of guns that people possess. There are other factors to be considered also.

As about me, I don't know whether I can be trusted or not regarding your question. Personally, I don't like guns and would avoid possessing them as far as I could, even if I had this right. But at the same time, it would be dependent in what part of the US I would live.

Well, some time ago, I also considered this right to be a far extreme case. I should admit that opponents of this clause have a good reasoning base by comparing the American criminal rates with European ones.

But now, I am not so sure about that. Over the time, I have gotten to conclusion that a linear dependency is not quite true while comparing these rates with the number of guns that people possess. There are other factors to be considered also.

As about me, I don't know whether I can be trusted or not regarding your question. Personally, I don't like guns and would avoid possessing them as far as I could, even if I had this right. But at the same time, it would be dependent in what part of the US I would live.
Well, since our constitution bestows the right to own a gun, I will exercise my right. If you don’t want to own one that’s fine, but don’t tell me what I should own when I have the right to own it.

When one speaks casually about "democracy," the usual first reaction is to state the time-tested expression "One man [person] - One vote."

But it's not that simple. In order for democracy to "work" the voting citizens must be at least generally aware of the issues; they must know the candidates and something about where they stand on the issues; they must have a general knowledge of the legitimate powers of the office for which they are voting. Otherwise, they are likely to cast a compromised vote, possibly even voting for someone whose impact would be the opposite of what they would like.

In the U.S., one could make the argument that citizens applying for their first voter registration card should be obliged to take, and pass, the same test that is administered to immigrants when they apply for U.S. citizenship. Unfortunately, the unspoken reality is that such a requirement would screen out POC's, non-English speakers, and desperately poor people in much greater portions than their demographic presence, thus leading to bogus claims of "racism" that no politician wants to deal with.

But at a much lower level, most U.S. jurisdictions have imposed very basic voter requirements that have had the effect of weeding out some of the ignorant, uninvolved, and incompetent would-be voters (let's call them "Misfits") who might otherwise "pollute" the election results. These requirements are well known: You must register in advance in order to vote; you must vote when the polls are open on Election Day (unless you have a good excuse not to, in which case a relatively secure Absentee Ballot may be cast); and finally, you must prove your identity at the polls by showing a government-issued photo ID card.

With these minimal constraints in place, most Americans consider that the American form of "democracy" can prevail.

But as we all saw, the Pandemic created a situation in 2020 that was ripe for polluting American democracy by facilitating the harvesting of Misfit votes by Democrat operatives, often in violation of state laws and the U.S. Constitution. They harvested votes from nursing homes, homeless encampments, and neighborhoods of people so uninvolved that they wouldn't even consider voting under normal circumstances, thus bloating candidate Biden's totals beyond anything seen previously, in any presidential election. And one must consider that candidate Biden did not even run for President in any conventional way, and there was ZERO enthusiasm for his candidacy, the impetus being entirely provided by visceral hate for the incumbent President Trump.

So the point is, attacks on Democracy can come from two different sides: Votes can be so constrained that only the privileged vote, or votes can be polluted by people who truly have no business voting, because they know essentially nothing about the issues, the candidates, or the actual powers of the position they are voting for.

I'm sure J. Rubin, the author of the linked article would emphatically disagree, because the Misfits vote in preposterous majorities for the Leftists that she personally supports. But the fact remains: these votes are an attack on "democracy," and the Democrats' attempts to cast these outrageous voting rules in concrete is as great a threat to American democracy as their plan to naturalize the twenty million souls who are currently in this country illegally.

A pox on all their houses.

Completely unconstitutional. Try reading it some time and that will end your fascist
dreams.

Last edited:

When one speaks casually about "democracy," the usual first reaction is to state the time-tested expression "One man [person] - One vote."

But it's not that simple. In order for democracy to "work" the voting citizens must be at least generally aware of the issues; they must know the candidates and something about where they stand on the issues; they must have a general knowledge of the legitimate powers of the office for which they are voting. Otherwise, they are likely to cast a compromised vote, possibly even voting for someone whose impact would be the opposite of what they would like.

In the U.S., one could make the argument that citizens applying for their first voter registration card should be obliged to take, and pass, the same test that is administered to immigrants when they apply for U.S. citizenship. Unfortunately, the unspoken reality is that such a requirement would screen out POC's, non-English speakers, and desperately poor people in much greater portions than their demographic presence, thus leading to bogus claims of "racism" that no politician wants to deal with.

But at a much lower level, most U.S. jurisdictions have imposed very basic voter requirements that have had the effect of weeding out some of the ignorant, uninvolved, and incompetent would-be voters (let's call them "Misfits") who might otherwise "pollute" the election results. These requirements are well known: You must register in advance in order to vote; you must vote when the polls are open on Election Day (unless you have a good excuse not to, in which case a relatively secure Absentee Ballot may be cast); and finally, you must prove your identity at the polls by showing a government-issued photo ID card.

With these minimal constraints in place, most Americans consider that the American form of "democracy" can prevail.

But as we all saw, the Pandemic created a situation in 2020 that was ripe for polluting American democracy by facilitating the harvesting of Misfit votes by Democrat operatives, often in violation of state laws and the U.S. Constitution. They harvested votes from nursing homes, homeless encampments, and neighborhoods of people so uninvolved that they wouldn't even consider voting under normal circumstances, thus bloating candidate Biden's totals beyond anything seen previously, in any presidential election. And one must consider that candidate Biden did not even run for President in any conventional way, and there was ZERO enthusiasm for his candidacy, the impetus being entirely provided by visceral hate for the incumbent President Trump.

So the point is, attacks on Democracy can come from two different sides: Votes can be so constrained that only the privileged vote, or votes can be polluted by people who truly have no business voting, because they know essentially nothing about the issues, the candidates, or the actual powers of the position they are voting for.

I'm sure J. Rubin, the author of the linked article would emphatically disagree, because the Misfits vote in preposterous majorities for the Leftists that she personally supports. But the fact remains: these votes are an attack on "democracy," and the Democrats' attempts to cast these outrageous voting rules in concrete is as great a threat to American democracy as their plan to naturalize the twenty million souls who are currently in this country illegally.

A pox on all their houses.
Actually a democracy = mob rule. A constitutionally based Republic such as our USA was originally formed to be by our founding fathers is what we aim to uphold. The rest of your post got a homerun with the bases freakin' LOADED!!!

The "misfits" are voting Republican having been brainwashed by FOX News, Breitbart and others. They voted for Donald Trump in droves. They felt a kinship to this poor man who the press hates. The misfits voted for Trump because they recognized he's a loser just like them.
i never had sex with that woman ms lewinsky

Which Trump and the Republicans are currently trying to change to a fascist dictatorship, via January 6th, and the lies that lead to it.

Republicans can no longer win elections. There are simply not enough angry white people to sustain their rule. That's why they want an end to counting the "urban" votes, and they're gerrymandering all of the leftists districts out of existence.

These new redistricting maps will not stand. The court cases have already been filed.
thanks to senile joe a red wave is lurking keep flucking up joe

Another thinly veiled plan to weed out those who will not vote for you.

All a voter needs to know is which candidate will make their lives better

Which is the hard part, since in a 2 party system, you can pretty much guarantee both candidates are lying to you.
For example, both parties have been supporting illegal foreign war, over half our taxes going to the military, illegal torture by the military, the illegal domestic War on Drugs, illegal sentence mandates, illegal asset forfeiture, no public health care, mandatory private health insurance, etc.
Seems to me we might just have to start all over from the ground up.

America is a Representative Republic, not a democracy.

That is not really true.
The most important part you are ignoring is the Constitution.
Since that defines all legal authority as coming from protected individual rights, that does make this a democracy.
The fact we do not all vote directly on each issue is not relevant, because it is still the protection of our individual rights that reigns supreme as the source of any authority.

An example, of how this can be seen is the 14th amendment and civil rights.
The majority had voted for representatives who passed legislation infringing on rights of minorities.
The SCOTUS ruled that was illegal.
The rights of minorities can not legally be infringed upon.

The fact our government is representative in that there is a layer between individuals and who votes on each bill, does not change the fact everyone does get to vote and be heard, even if just in the election of representatives.
And everyone being able to vote does make this a democracy.

Individual State Governments are Democracies.

Our federal gov't is a Democratic/Constitutional Republic....which is also a form of a representative democracy....as a parliamentary govt is a form of representative democracy.

States are just as corrupt at the federal government.
The idea of a democracy being where everyone gets to vote is not really all that relevant, whether they vote on each issue or just for representatives who then do the actual issue voting.
What makes this a democracy actually is that the only source of legal authority comes from the defense of inherent rights of each individual.

Which by the way is why the War on Drugs is totally and completely illegal.
Whether or not drugs are harmful to the individuals who use them, that use harms no one else, do then criminalizing their use is impossible in a representative, democratic, republic.

Majority rule is NOT legal when it arbitrarily infringes upon the rights of any single individual, and can't be justified by the defense of the rights of others.

For perspective:

I would NEVER--and I mean NEVER--sign up for a Canadian message board, titled "Canadian Message Board", and then have the horrid manners to complain about your leaders, politics, policies, people and etc to my NEIGHBORS, on their message board.

You do. And then when some of us complain, cry about "harassing and bullying". Okay, dragonlady. Maybe do a little self-reflection on that.

Nah, what the US does, effects everyone.
National borders are not real, but arbitrary.
It would be like how corrupt it was for ancient Romans to only allow citizens to vote, while illegal occupying most of Europe, all the way to Scotland.

Actually a democracy = mob rule. A constitutionally based Republic such as our USA was originally formed to be by our founding fathers is what we aim to uphold. The rest of your post got a homerun with the bases freakin' LOADED!!!

Not really.
When you protect individual rights through a constitutional republic, then a democracy only implies that everyone gets to vote.
The fact it is only over representatives, is not that significant, because your individual rights comes up in court, as the only legal basis for any legal authority.
In other words, voting is not how individual rights are defensed.

The problem is we no longer defend individual rights through the courts, and the courts have allowed things like the War on Drugs, which is totally illegal and a violation of individual rights.

Forum List

Back