The Tragedy of Macbeth - 2021 Apple TV

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
We tried. We really wanted to watch this, but just couldn't get past the annoying way the movie was shot and the poor audio quality that made it next to impossible to hear well enough what people were saying. The script is in Old English, many of the words no longer used - so between that and how fast the actors were speaking, and the poor audio quality - it was difficult at best to even know what was going on.

Too bad. I was looking forward to this. The film makers decided it was more important to shoot the film in artsy-fartsy format that ruined it.

We tried. We really wanted to watch this, but just couldn't get past the annoying way the movie was shot and the poor audio quality that made it next to impossible to hear well enough what people were saying. The script is in Old English, many of the words no longer used - so between that and how fast the actors were speaking, and the poor audio quality - it was difficult at best to even know what was going on.

Too bad. I was looking forward to this. The film makers decided it was more important to shoot the film in artsy-fartsy format that ruined it.
You would hate it. Its about a world in thrall to feminism and Girl power.

MacBeth is a great play, sorry they screwed it up. It's really important that the actors delivery their lines clearly and loud enough to hear everything.

I was about 15 when I saw MacBeth for the first time. I really hated it because it didn't make much sense. Later, I think in my senior we studied MacBeth discussing every line in the play. At end of term as a class we attended a presentation of MacBeth. I thought it was really good. I have seen it at least 3 times since then and it is now one of my favorite Shakespearian play.
This is a pretty good text on MacBeth, introducing all the characters, the plot, and a line by line modern day interpretation.

MacBeth is a great play, sorry they screwed it up. It's really important that the actors delivery their lines clearly and loud enough to hear everything.

I was about 15 when I saw MacBeth for the first time. I really hated it because it didn't make much sense. Later, I think in my senior we studied MacBeth discussing every line in the play. At end of term as a class we attended a presentation of MacBeth. I thought it was really good. I have seen it at least 3 times since then and it is now one of my favorite Shakespearian play.
This is a pretty good text on MacBeth, introducing all the characters, the plot, and a line by line modern day interpretation.
I agree, if a script is in Old English you have to speak clearly and perhaps a small pause between speakers in order for the audience to "translate" in their minds.
For instance, something as simple as the phrase "We must attack the enemy"... would be said something like "We wilt square the foe".. you need just a tiny moment to process that. But the actors said words so swiftly and poor audio quality that not only gave the audience no time to understand the words, but you couldn't hear all of the words making it doubly difficult to understand.

I have been looking forward to seeing this movie. The closest theater is about 30 miles away.

Frances McDormand is one of my all time favorite actresses.

I'm sorry you didn't like it. Have you been exposed to a lot of Shakespeare? It takes a trained ear, but once you get it you begin to understand why Shakespeare was the greatest writer who ever lived.

Its fashionable for modern directors to make dialogue difficult to hear. I have no understanding why this should be the case. Having said that not many in the audience will not have a basic understanding of what they are watching. A bloke with a nagging wife who gets him in all sorts of trouble.

Its fashionable for modern directors to make dialogue difficult to hear. I have no understanding why this should be the case. Having said that not many in the audience will not have a basic understanding of what they are watching. A bloke with a nagging wife who gets him in all sorts of trouble.
I don't know why a director would want to do this. It takes real talent to project so it can be heard, clearly, and carry the emotion required. Speaking clearly and loud enough that it can heard throughout a theater is crucial for actors on stage.

I'm a fan of Gilbert and Sullivan and I've found actors in some productions who can not clearly sing the songs where the words can be clearly understood. However, in some cases it must be hard, such as in "I am the very model of a modern Major-General".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back