The Rising GOP Debate Strategy - Don't Debate

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Well, this is interesting.

If you want to avoid tough questions about your behaviors and positions in debates, just don't show up to debate. Then say the debate was unfair, as an excuse.

The Republicans have threatened not to debate in the Presidential debates. Now Cawthorn and Walker are doing it. Who's next, do you suppose?

America's electoral process is being destroyed in real time. Right in front of us. A relatively small group of people who want to rip it all down are winning.

Well, this is interesting.

If you want to avoid tough questions about your behaviors and positions in debates, just don't show up to debate. Then say the debate was unfair, as an excuse.

The Republicans have threatened not to debate in the Presidential debates. Now Cawthorn and Walker are doing it. Who's next, do you suppose?

America's electoral process is being destroyed in real time. Right in front of us. A relatively small group of people who want to rip it all down are winning.

They've lost 7 of the last 8 popular votes. Clearly whatever message they have has become incredibly unpopular.

The GOP knows that losing huge states like CA and NY by landslides is irrelevant. Any vote above what's needed to win, means nothing.

So now they've learned (and you have to give them credit for this) that it's not how many votes you get, it's where and how you get them. Then add a little more control over the electoral/voting process, and the actual "will of the people" doesn't matter.

Who needs to debate now? They've figured this out, and they know they can get away with it.

Last edited:
The GOP knows that losing huge states like CA and NY by landslides is irrelevant. Any vote above what's needed to win, means nothing.

So now they've learned (and you have to give them credit for this) that it's not how many votes you get, it's where and how you get them. Then add a little more control over the electoral/voting process, and the actual "will of the people" doesn't matter.

Who needs to debate now? They've figured this out, and they know they can get away with it.

And yet you think your creepy third party poster is going to change anything?

Holy crap, there's already more than I thought:

As I recall, the GOP has stated that they will not let their candidate take part in debates held by the CPDs in 2024. Whether or not the candidate will or won't debate is another matter (what will the GOP do 3 weeks before the election...tell people not to vote for him?).

As I recall, the GOP has stated that they will not let their candidate take part in debates held by the CPDs in 2024. Whether or not the candidate will or won't debate is another matter (what will the GOP do 3 weeks before the election...tell people not to vote for him?).
Well, that's our system, as it's currently constructed.

Well, like anything else, nothing is "needed" until it is. You didn't need to win Georgia if you win Arizona or either of those if you had MI, WI, and PA.... Eventually, they will understand that their lack of popularity is a real issue. I am amused that someone dismisses popularity relative to elections though...it's essentially what elections are all about..how "popular" are you.

Well, that's our system, as it's currently constructed.
True. But if you're down by 2% and you're the GOP candidate...are you really going to turn down 4.5 hours of nationwide airtime free of charge? And there is always a chance (a damn good one) that Biden is going to self-destruct. I don't know how many party nominees (R's and D's) get a second run as the nominee so you've really got to strike while the iron is hot.

True. But if you're down by 2% and you're the GOP candidate...are you really going to turn down 4.5 hours of nationwide airtime free of charge? And there is always a chance (a damn good one) that Biden is going to self-destruct. I don't know how many party nominees (R's and D's) get a second run as the nominee so you've really got to strike while the iron is hot.
In Normal World, sure.

But these guys have weighed that, versus having to face the obvious questions, and they've calculated that it's not worth it. I'd agree with that. They know how rabid the orange base is, and they know no other group on either end is that rabid. So...

In Normal World, sure.

But these guys have weighed that, versus having to face the obvious questions, and they've calculated that it's not worth it. I'd agree with that. They know how rabid the orange base is, and they know no other group on either end is that rabid. So...

I'll bet you fifty cents that the CPD has their standard 3 presidential debates and 1 VP debate and both GOP candidates show up for the debates--save some bizarre thing like Covid happening again

I don't think the GOP candidate running from the debate stage hurts a lot nationally. State wide...it seems like a dumb move.
It is a dumb move but so is ineffectually trying to explain whatever it is the GOP stands for right now. They have rightly calculated that it is less damaging to their campaign to look like fools than to open their mouths and confirm it.

Forum List

Back