The Rise of the Liberal Hawks

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Excellent article detailing the military's shift to the Left after Trump. It's long and i imagine that most won't actually read the whole thing--but it clearly shows why MAGA has no influence in our armed forces.

Brief quote:

In 1967, Martin Luther King Jr. spoke at Harlem’s Riverside Church to a crowd of thousands that flowed out the door as far as 120th Street. King publicly condemned the Vietnam War because it had “broken and eviscerated” the civil-rights and anti-poverty movements at home. The American government was “the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today.”
In 2022, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky invoked another MLK speech while asking Congress to help his country repel the Russian invasion. “‘I have a dream.’ These words are known to each of you today. I can say, ‘I have a need: I need to protect our sky.’” Two months later, Democrats voted unanimously in favor of a $40 billion package of arms and other assistance to Kyiv.
These two moments capture an important shift in how the American left thinks about the U.S. military and war more generally. Progressives typically see war as inherently murderous and dehumanizing—sapping progress, curtailing free expression, and channeling resources into the “military-industrial complex.” The left led the opposition to the Vietnam War and the Iraq War and condemned American war crimes from the My Lai massacre to Abu Ghraib. Historically, progressive critics have charged the military with a litany of sins, including discrimination against LGBTQ soldiers and a reliance on recruiting in poor communities.
Meanwhile, for decades, the right embraced America’s warriors. Defense hawks were one of the three legs of the “Reagan stool,” along with social and fiscal conservatives. The military itself leaned right. One study found that from 1976 to 1996, the number of Army officers who identified as Republican increased from one-third to two-thirds. In 2016, according to a poll in the Military Times, active service members favored Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton by a margin of nearly two to one.

In the past few years, however, these views have started to change. From 2021 to 2022, the share of Republicans who had “a great deal” or “quite a lot of confidence” in the military fell from 81 to 71 percent, whereas for Democrats, the number increased from 63 to 67 percent—cutting the gap from 18 points to four. And the military’s views shifted in tandem. In 2020, dozens of former Republican national-security officials endorsed President Joe Biden because Trump had “gravely damaged America’s role as a world leader.” In one poll before the 2020 election, more active service members backed Biden than Trump (41 to 37 percent).

Why has this happened? Two big reasons are Trump and Ukraine.

Trump saw the military as a symbol of power and surrounded himself with a phalanx of generals. But when he realized they were not a Praetorian Guard that would do his bidding, defend him against all enemies foreign and domestic, and keep him in office by force if necessary, he soured on the military. Trump trampled on its most sacred beliefs and rituals, saying that U.S. generals were “dopes” and “babies” who “want to do nothing but fight wars.” Americans killed in battle, he said, were “losers” and “suckers.” Trump suggested that Gold Star families had spread COVID at the White House. He railed against American prisoners of war: “I like people who weren’t captured.” He pardoned three service members accused or convicted of war crimes, even though military leaders said it would erode the military’s code of justice. In his testimony to Congress, Trump’s acting defense secretary, Christopher Miller, said that Trump had told him to ready the National Guard to protect his supporters on January 6, rather than Congress itself. All of this created a fundamental clash with the military’s code of honor and its commitment to the Constitution. Trump wondered why American generals couldn’t be more like Hitler’s generals—by which he meant the loyalist fanatics who battled in the ruins of Berlin, not the Wehrmacht officials who tried to assassinate the Nazi dictator.

Cool so you think it's a good thing that our military rejects the notion of making our country great again. Got it.
I suspect..as a veteran..that the military never thought that we were anything BUT great.
The military rejects the idea of turning back the clock to 1960.
Just saying...some think that if there is a civil war the military would be a MAGA asset...and they are simply wrong~

Everything is not about Trump. There is no such thing as a liberal hawk. What we have here is the idea many of us have stated for a long time. Both parties being the same party outside of a few social issues.

We have a very large number of "Corporate Hawks" in office. It's not about Ukraine. Democrats gave up the mantle of anti-war when they backed Obama's excursions into Syria and Libya. Obama being maybe the best example of a Corporate Democrat.

Trump saw the military as a symbol of power and surrounded himself with a phalanx of generals. But when he realized they were not a Praetorian Guard that would do his bidding, defend him against all enemies foreign and domestic, and keep him in office by force if necessary, he soured on the military.

This is the author of the piece writing his assumptions about a man he hates. It, and what follows has as much credibility as Birthers.

So far your accomplishments with lefty military are creating ISIS, getting Embassies attacked...never did get those girls back, Top Generals colluded with China against us during Trump Admin. They've destroyed recruiting and now are disarming us by pouring our ammo into Ukraine at an unsustainable pace.

Last edited:
Everything is not about Trump. There is no such thing as a liberal hawk. What we have here is the idea many of us have stated for a long time. Both parties being the same party outside of a few social issues.

We have a very large number of "Corporate Hawks" in office. It's not about Ukraine. Democrats gave up the mantle of anti-war when they backed Obama's excursions into Syria and Libya. Obama being maybe the best example of a Corporate Democrat.

I used to work for a very large defense contractor - and you're spot on.

Virtually every person in top management came from the military. 20 as Colonel or above meant a cush Raytheon job for life - especially if you were in procurement on the inside.

The military supports the democrats because the Republicans have soured on endless foreign wars. Boeing, ATK, and Raytheon depend on endless wars - democrats give them wars.

I used to work for a very large defense contractor - and you're spot on.

Virtually every person in top management came from the military. 20 as Colonel or above meant a cush Raytheon job for life - especially if you were in procurement on the inside.

The military supports the democrats because the Republicans have soured on endless foreign wars. Boeing, ATK, and Raytheon depend on endless wars - democrats give them wars.

None of the wars ever ended under Trump either. Every time Trump would make a remark about ending one, Graham would slap him down.

Of which Trump was one.

The author floats the long debunked lie that ' Trump wondered why American generals couldn’t be more like Hitler’s generals"

Of course Trump never said anything remotely like that, and the little Goebbels were pilloried for it when they told that lie in 2018.

But what I've noticed with the Nazis, particularly the little Goebbels of the democrat press, is that all the lies that were debunked years ago are being rehashed.

Lying vermin like the New York Times and other propaganda for the Reich think people have forgotten, so they can float the same lies all over again.

The author floats the long debunked lie that ' Trump wondered why American generals couldn’t be more like Hitler’s generals"

Of course Trump never said anything remotely like that, and the little Goebbels were pilloried for it when they told that lie in 2018.

But what I've noticed with the Nazis, particularly the little Goebbels of the democrat press, is that all the lies that were debunked years ago are being rehashed.

Lying vermin like the New York Times and other propaganda for the Reich think people have forgotten, so they can float the same lies all over again.

I didn't comment on that. You can address what I did comment on or not.

Kinda like Birthers, Benghazi, Pizzagate, 911 deniers, Seth Rich, Epstein's suicide, the Clinton Murder Inc. and all Dems are groomers and wannabe pedophiles eh?

But just for you:

There’s plenty of evidence that Donald Trump wanted to be treated like a dictator, that he frequently butted heads with military leaders, and that his ignorance of history knew no bounds. It shouldn’t be that surprising, then, how the former president reached back to World War II in trying to explain the kind of absolute loyalty he expected from America’s generals.
According to an excerpt from The Divider: Trump in the White House, 2017-2021 published in The New Yorker on Monday, Trump once griped to then-White House Chief of Staff John Kelly about what he perceived as disloyal generals. “You fucking generals, why can’t you be like the German generals?”
“Which generals?” Kelly responded.
“The German generals in World War II,” said Trump.
Kelly then reminded the president of the failed assassination attempts against Hitler by his subordinates. “You do know that they tried to kill Hitler three times and almost pulled it off?” Kelly said.
But Trump, of course, insisted otherwise. “No, no, no, they were totally loyal to him,” he said.

When asked to comment by the New Yorker, Trump reiterated prior complaints. “These were very untalented people and once I realized it, I did not rely on them, I relied on the real generals and admirals within the system,” he said.

Trump has pined for the kind of loyalty shown to other dictators, as well. While praising Kim Jong-un in 2018, Trump said he wanted “my people” to treat him the same way North Koreans treat that nation’s murderous head of state. “He’s the head of a country, and I mean, he’s the strong head, don’t let anyone think anything different,” Trump told Fox News. “He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.”

None of the wars ever ended under Trump either. Every time Trump would make a remark about ending one, Graham would slap him down.

No, Trump refused to go to war in Syria as he was commanded to do, and the Military Industrial Complex turned on him.

Men with AK-47's kicked our asses, despite our F-15's in Afghanistan - the MIC needed a replacement, but Trump refused - so Trump had to go.

No, Trump refused to go to war in Syria as he was commanded to do, and the Military Industrial Complex turned on him.

We were already involved in Syria when Trump took office. Does no one pay any attention to anything?

Men with AK-47's kicked our asses, despite our F-15's in Afghanistan - the MIC needed a replacement, but Trump refused - so Trump had to go.

Trump did have the right idea with Afghanistan but he didn't have the balls to do it. As I noted, Lindsey Graham controlled them.

I suspect..as a veteran..that the military never thought that we were anything BUT great.
The military rejects the idea of turning back the clock to 1960.
Just saying...some think that if there is a civil war the military would be a MAGA asset...and they are simply wrong~
Our military leadership is pre-occupied with teaching the proper pronouns and anti-Racism. Our top military leader General Milley is a traitor who whispered in Xi Jinping's ear "I've got your back dear Leader". Our military and our country is in dire straights because of the radical shift to the Left that has occurred.

Kinda like Birthers, Benghazi, Pizzagate, 911 deniers, Seth Rich, Epstein's suicide, the Clinton Murder Inc. and all Dems are groomers and wannabe pedophiles eh?

John Kelly told the lie about Trump back in 2018. Kelly was proven to be lying cvnt as dozens of witnesses contradicted his story as did the transcripts of meetings. Buy you Nazis and your filthy lying press continue to promote such lies to this day. Why? You fear that you are losing power.

Also Mein Herr, are you claiming Benghazi didn't happen? That the little Goebbels and the Obama regime didn't blame it on an internet video (that it was on the anniversary 9/11 - the proudest victory for those like surada Hezbollah Hannah is just a coincidence) - in fact Obama's thugs threw the poor blogger in prison to back up their lie.

But the Reich has erased Benghazi from history - so you will swear it never happened.

Heil Biden,

Forum List

Back