CDZ The Real Test of Legitimate Debate

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
The real test of legitimate debate is the willingness and ability to answer questions about one's position. Why is that such a rare occurrence in the forum?

Conversations take too long, especially if each pov is reasonable because then you have to go down 15 fucking roads to see which is "right."

<cough>
You're in the CDZ, people.

Everyone thinks they're 'right,' and no amount of debate is going to change anyone's mind. I appreciate when someone takes the time to explain their position, but like G.T., most people don't want to bother.

<cough>
You're in the CDZ, people.

Everyone thinks they're 'right,' and no amount of debate is going to change anyone's mind. I appreciate when someone takes the time to explain their position, but like G.T., most people don't want to bother.
I would guess youre not even old : )

The real test of legitimate debate is the willingness and ability to answer questions about one's position. Why is that such a rare occurrence in the forum?
Simply put, most people have not done the research/thinking to have a substantiative arguement for their position, much less the ability to articulate it.

thanks for making my point for me.

The only point you have is the top of your head. The OP is about people who refuse to answer questions about their posts, and you are the poster child for that group. Back to the little pond with you.

Simply put, most people have not done the research/thinking to have a substantiative arguement for their position, much less the ability to articulate it.
false assumption.
Don't go all Harvard on us, Daws. She has a point. It IS sometimes hard to explain clearly why we have our positions. Not that anyone really cares what our explanations are; they generally get ignored anyway.

false assumption.
Don't go all Harvard on us, Daws. She has a point. It IS sometimes hard to explain clearly why we have our positions. Not that anyone really cares what our explanations are; they generally get ignored anyway.
jwoodie claims to be a man.
I completely agree with the rest.
I was referring to Oldsoul.

What is your position?

My position is that most people in this forum are unwilling and/or unable to answer questions about the positions they take. As to why this is, I believe that oldsoul summed it up quite well:

Simply put, most people have not done the research/thinking to have a substantive argument for their position, much less the ability to articulate it.

If you have an alternative explanation, I would like to hear it. In the meantime, if you have a question about this or any other positions I have posted, please ask.

false assumption.

LOL, this is YOUR substantive argument? (I think you just proved oldsoul's point.)

What is your position?

My position is that most people in this forum are unwilling and/or unable to answer questions about the positions they take. As to why this is, I believe that oldsoul summed it up quite well:

Have you done any actual analysis regarding your position to substantiate your belief?

Do consider yourself to be included in the 'most people' in this thread?

Have you done any actual analysis regarding your position to substantiate your belief?

1. YES

2. NO

See how easy it is?

1. YES

2. NO

See how easy it is?

Sure.

What analysis did you do- and what are the methods you used?

I have surveyed the posts in the CDZ in the past year and found that the vast majority of responses fail to address the substance of the questions asked. Because relevant responses were so rare I determined them to be outliers which did not constitute a sufficient basis for statistical analysis.

Anecdotal evidence is valid when formal data collection/surveys are not available or practicable. Perhaps you have a collection of relevant responses that would show my conclusion to be in error?

I think it depends on why you're asking the question. Some people hide statements in their questions and do not ask questions to gain more information.

What they ask question for is to find some kind of "gotcha" logical fallacy.

I think it depends on why you're asking the question. Some people hide statements in their questions and do not ask questions to gain more information.

What they ask question for is to find some kind of "gotcha" logical fallacy.

If it is indeed a logical fallacy, then explain why it is so. Otherwise, answer the question and provide an explanation. For example, the answer to "Have you stopped beating your dog?" is "No, because I never started beating it."

When you ask a question is it because you need more information to understand someone's position.

Forum List

Back