The Psychology of Partisanship

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.

This topic won't be very popular here, but what the hell.

I remain absolutely fascinated by the partisan mind - how a Partisan Ideologue (PI) arrives at a point where they appear to created a intellectual vacuum from which they simply cannot escape. PI's are so attached to their beliefs that they appear to be truly sincere when they automatically utilize spin, denial and diversion when confronted with simple facts. I've often wondered if this is just a big game, but after looking into the eyes of PI's - kind of like looking at the face of a Middle East religious zealot - I'm coming to the conclusion that they really do believe most of what they say.

There are many books out there about the power of the subconscious mind, and how we can essentially convince ourselves of many things simply by repeating them and buying into them. That has to play a part in this behavior, and it's obviously exacerbated by the intellectual commitment to people and networks like Fox, MSNBC, Limbaugh, Maddow, Hannity, Schultz, et al. These "pundits" are people who have a vested interest in feeding into this condition, and their "followers" clearly don't see it.

Here's an interesting piece I found while Googling "the psychology of partisanship" - many links, so I'm not the only one wondering about this - it links partisanship to self-esteem, which is something I've thought makes sense:

Partisan Psychology: Why Do People Choose Political Loyalties Over Facts? : It's All Politics : NPR

From the piece:

Along with Jason Reifler at Georgia State University, Nyhan said, he's exploring the possibility that partisans reject facts because they produce cognitive dissonance — the psychological experience of having to hold inconsistent ideas in one's head. When Democrats hear the argument that the president can do something about high gas prices, that produces dissonance because it clashes with the loyalties these voters feel toward Obama. The same thing happens when Republicans hear that Obama cannot be held responsible for high gas prices — the information challenges their dislike of the president.

Nyhan and Reifler hypothesized that partisans reject such information not because they're against the facts, but because it's painful. That notion suggested a possible solution: If partisans were made to feel better about themselves — if they received a little image and ego boost — could this help them more easily absorb the "blow" of information that threatens their pre-existing views?

Nyhan said that ongoing — and as yet, unpublished — research was showing the technique could be effective. The researchers had voters think of times in their lives when they had done something very positive and found that, fortified by this positive memory, voters were more willing to take in information that challenged their pre-existing views.

"One person talked about taking care of his elderly grandmother — something you wouldn't expect to have any influence on people's factual beliefs about politics," Nyhan said. "But that brings to mind these positive feelings about themselves, which we think will protect them or inoculate them from the threat that unwelcome ideas or unwelcome information might pose to their self-concept."

While I expect personal insults in response to this thread (from PI's, of course), please note again that I'm not the only one fascinated by this topic. Holy crap, folks are doing research and studies on it.

Anyway, thoughts?

Last edited:
It is amazing how few people try to integrate the elements that work in various systems and prefer to cling to dogma, doctrine and ideology, political and religious. It seems they are 'born' into something and cannot see any other reasoning.

Holy crap, I'm having fun with this. Here's a study written be some Yale guys called "Personality and the Strength and Direction of Partisan Identification".

http://orion.luc.edu/~ddoherty/documents/Personality%20and%20Partisanship.pdf

From the piece:

...the negative relationship between Openness, a trait associated with eagerness to entertain new ideas, and strength of partisanship is particularly strong. Although individuals high on this trait tend to support liberal policies, they may be resistant to, or even repelled by, the notion that political engagement involves an uncomplicated decision to side with one of two parties...

...The cognitive appeal of partisan affiliations is also likely to depend on personality dispositions. Prior research suggests that “need for structure” (the appeal of simplified conceptual structures) is associated with the formation and use of stereotypes in decision making (Schaller, Boyd, Yohannes, and O’Brien 1995). Partisan identification is a similar decision-making heuristic because it provides a simplified framework for interpreting political events (see, e.g., Fiorina 1981; Rahn 1993)...

Lots of good stuff in this study, still reading...

I think that basically liberals and conservatives think differently....to the extent that their brains process differently. The more strong one's brain processes a certain way, the more partisan that person is. The more centrist a person is, brain-wise, the easier it would be to switch parties.

Paranoia is one aspect of the conservative brain that is nonsensical to me. I suppose an ardent conservative would consider my bllithe fearlessness over national security and the near future to be nonsense. I seriously don't perceive the nation or world to be as dangerous a place as many conservatives do. It is how my brain has always worked and I've never NOT been strongly liberal.

Regards from Rosie

Mac, In your research did you come across any articles about other great societies that have ceased to exist and the effect partisanship had on the eventual decline of that society?

Did partisanship or apathy cause the decline in the Roman empire?

Does partisanship and apathy go hand and hand. As more become partisan do more also become apathetic?

Any other interesting tidbits? Just curious.

Mac, In your research did you come across any articles about other great societies that have ceased to exist and the effect partisanship had on the eventual decline of that society?

Does partisanship and apathy go hand and hand. As more become partisan do more also become apathetic?

None of that, yet. The studies I'm finding examine the personality traits that lead people in one ideological direction or the other, and they really get into empirical evidence, data on surveys, on what makes people commit to an ideology in general.

Holy crap, some of this stuff is pretty dry, but there's some cool tidbits among the data.

Nothing yet on partisanship's effects on specific societies, but there's a ton of stuff to comb through still.

Good reads. The way i view it (aside from the sound assertion above regarding cognitive dissonance) many just don't cross check information. They become information loyalists. They will cling bitterly to bias information and don't bother to listen to anything else on a subject.

So yeah, they sincerely believe what they spew more often than not. And when confronted with conflicting information, immediately takes on a defensive position to insulate themselves from inner conflict over their loyalist information source.

Good reads. The way i view it (aside from the sound assertion above regarding cognitive dissonance) many just don't cross check information. They become information loyalists. They will cling bitterly to bias information and don't bother to listen to anything else on a subject.

So yeah, they sincerely believe what they spew more often than not. And when confronted with conflicting information, immediately takes on a defensive position to insulate themselves from inner conflict over their loyalist information source.

YES.

Now, my question is "why"? It's looking more and more, at least what I've seen so far, to be a self-esteem issue. These people have an emotional, visceral reaction to having their views challenged, and react by clinging even more tightly to those views. Such behavior provides them with "a port in the storm", and that feeling is cemented by reinforcement from those who share their views.

None of that, yet. The studies I'm finding examine the personality traits that lead people in one ideological direction or the other, and they really get into empirical evidence, data on surveys, on what makes people commit to an ideology in general.

Thanks Mac. I am wondering about this subject because I think that our low voter turnout is partially effected by the partisan climate we have here.

I think if this coming election is full of fraud and has to be decided by the SCOTUS again, that more and more Americans will think that partisanship was the reason for the fraud and that they will become even more apathetic and quit voting altogether. Leaving our fate to the partisans.

I know I will quit voting if election fraud is even remotely plausible. I will have come to the conclusion that the game is fully rigged. right or wrong I will believe that.

YES.

Now, my question is "why"? It's looking more and more, at least what I've seen so far, to be a self-esteem issue. These people have an emotional, visceral reaction to having their views challenged, and react by clinging even more tightly to those views. Such behavior provides them with "a port in the storm", and that feeling is cemented by reinforcement from those who share their views.

And from their information source. I happened to watch some Maddow last night out of sheer "it's on and Im staring at it". The WAY she spins information is hilarious to me. Because that's what these pundits do. They create narratives for information loyalists. Like you said, they have a vested interest in maintaining the partisanship of their loyalists.

So it's a group think thing, that re-enforces their one stop shop "brand" on information.

Last edited:

Thanks Mac. I am wondering about this subject because I think that our low voter turnout is partially effected by the partisan climate we have here.

I think if this coming election is full of fraud and has to be decided by the SCOTUS again, that more and more Americans will think that partisanship was the reason for the fraud and that they will become even more apathetic and quit voting altogether. Leaving our fate to the partisans.

I know I will quit voting if election fraud is even remotely plausible. I will have come to the conclusion that the game is fully rigged. right or wrong I will believe that.

Yeah, I think that's the main driver of my fascination with this. The spin, hyperbole, diversion, distortion and outright lies inherent in partisan bickering are a net destructive force to a society, and we've now reached a point where we can't even trust the very process -- voting -- that is the very foundation of our system.

Hyper-partisanship and is far more than just intellectually dishonest, it's destructive, and we're seeing that play out right now. Exacerbating this is the popularity of the division pimps (the "pundits") who have a vested interest in keeping it going.

It could also be the pundits themselves that people are loyal to regardless of information. I have friends adn family that are like that. They watch a pundits show because they like the persons character on TV. As if the information they push is just secondary to any perceived "cool spin" and faux personality they display.

So people say "Maddow is full of shit" and whether it is true or not means nothing to a loyalist put on the defensive. They like their character and will defend it even if the person totally is full of shit.

YES.

And from their information source. I happened to watch some Maddow last night out of sheer "it's on and Im staring at it". The WAY she spins information is hilarious to me. Because that's what these pundits do. They create narratives for information loyalists. Like you said, they have a vested interest in maintaining the partisanship of their loyalists.

So it's a group think thing, that re-enforces their once stop shop "brand" on information.

The pundits' strategy is insidious and freakin' brilliant:

1. Start with a fact
2. Launch into your agenda
3. Avoid, ignore and minimize all contrary information
4. Sprinkle in a few more facts
5. Spin for your side, spin against the other, and create easy straw men
6. Reach your predetermined conclusion based on the above distortions

Your "followers" eat it up, and since you included facts in your presentation, they proudly proclaim that "you speak the truth". It's like freakin' All Pro Wrestling, surely the fans know what's going on, but they choose to completely tune it out. Then they buy into it at a cellular level.

A fascinating psychological/sociological study.

YES.

I think the "why" is rooted in the economic situation we are currently in.

If you are ultra rich and have been doing great for the past 10 years, why not be a partisan for the party that promises you even more wealth.

If you have suffered from job loss, housing loss, retirement loss etc, why not be a partisan for the party that offers to help you regain your loss?

If EVERYONE from the top incomes on down were doing great (think back to the 50ties and 60ties) then I don't think that partisanship would be nearly as popular.

And of course I can't ever remember anywhere close to the nunber of partisan media outlets selling advertising and partisanship. And these outlets are having a big effect on the partisans.

Human nature seems to be partisan in a way. No one roots against their own self interest.
Unless you are a real big partisan.

When you are losing ground in the middle class but worrying about the taxes that the ultra wealthy pay or don't pay, you know you are an extreme partisan.

But I don't know why.

Forum List

Back