The Praetorian Guard

numan

What! Me Worry?
Mar 23, 2013
'
The Praetorian Guard

Following the death of Sejanus, who was sacrificed for the Donativum (imperial gift) promised by Tiberius, the Guards began to play an increasingly ambitious and bloody game in the Empire. With the right amount of money, or at will, they assassinated emperors, bullied their own prefects, or turned on the people of Rome....
In 41 Caligula was killed by conspirators from the senatorial class and from the Guard. The Praetorians placed Claudius on the throne, daring the Senate to oppose their decision.

During 69, the Year of the Four Emperors, after the emperor Galba failed to provide a donative for the Praetorians, they transferred their allegiance to Otho and assassinated the emperor.
Now why is the city of Dallas popping up in my mind? · ·
images

In 193, Didius Julianus purchased the Empire from the Guard for a vast sum, when the Guard auctioned it off after killing Pertinax....

When Constantine the Great, launching an invasion of Italy in 312, forced a final confrontation at the Milvian Bridge, the Praetorian cohorts made up most of Maxentius' army. Later in Rome, the victorious Constantine definitively disbanded the Praetorian Guard. The soldiers were sent out to various corners of the Empire, and the Castra Praetoria was demolished.
And sown with salt? · · :D

'
It might be worth while to dust off your books on Egyptian history and re-read them.

The Mamelukes

Abbasid caliphs of Baghdad unwittingly create a group of considerable power in the Middle East. To strengthen their armies, they acquire slaves from the nomadic Turks of central Asia. These slaves, who become known as Mamelukes (from the Arabic mamluk, 'owned'), distinguish themselves in the service of the caliphate and are often given positions of military responsibility. Well placed to advance their own interests, they frequently take the opportunity.

The first Mameluke to seize extensive power is Ahmad ibn Tulun. In the early 870's he takes control of Egypt. This first Mameluke dynasty lasts only a few decades, until 905. But the Mamelukes retain their importance and power throughout the Middle East. They have the natural strength of a small, self-aware military elite....

In 1250, the last sultan of Saladin's dynasty is murdered in Egypt by the slaves of the palace guard.
Darn! There is Dallas popping up in my mind again, and a certain last sultan of a dynasty!

Eventually their power proves intolerable. Ottoman troops massacre the Mamelukes in Egypt in 1811, and destroy their counterparts in Baghdad in 1831.
It is possible to get rid of Praetorians, but it is usually a little messy.

By the way, the present military class in Egypt bears more than a little resemblance to the Mamelukes.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!

It is also a bit ironic that the present Praetorian Class in America has resemblances to the Nazi Party in Germany and to the Communist Party cadres of the former Soviet Bloc.
Well, I suppose, in many ways, one totalitarian society is much like another!

There are two mistakes you can make about totalitarian societies -- one is to think that they are all the same, and the other is to think that they are different !!

'
The Janissaries were chosen before they reached adulthood from among the Christian population living in Anatolia and the Balkan peninsula to become the elite fighting force of the Ottoman Empire. A portion of these selected children, as they were considered to be more talented, received a higher standard of education to become the ruling class of viziers as well as engineers, architects, physicians and scientists.

The Ottoman sultans had their own version of the Praetorian Guards, known as Janissaries.

Are we beginning to perceive a certain pattern here in despotic regimes? · ·
images

As Janissaries became aware of their own importance they began to desire a better life. By the early 17th century Janissaries had such prestige and influence that they dominated the government. They could mutiny and dictate policy and hinder efforts to modernize the army structure. They could change Sultans as they wished through palace coups....
Finally, after several centuries....

Ever mindful of the Janissary threat, the sultan spent the next years discreetly securing his position. The Janissaries' abuse of power, military ineffectiveness, resistance to reform and the cost of salaries to 135,000 men, many of whom were not actually serving soldiers, had all become intolerable. By 1826, the sultan was ready to move. Historian Patrick Kinross suggests that Mahmud II incited them to revolt on purpose, describing it as the sultan's "coup against the Janissaries". The sultan informed them, through a fatwa, that he was forming a new army, organised and trained along modern European lines. As predicted, they mutinied, advancing on the sultan's palace. In the ensuing fight, the Janissary barracks were set in flames by artillery fire resulting in 4,000 Janissary fatalities. The survivors were either exiled or executed, and their possessions were confiscated by the Sultan. This event is now called the Auspicious Incident. The last of the Janissaries were then put to death by decapitation in what was later called the blood tower, in Thessaloniki.
The usual "Auspicious" end to praetorian guards! · ·
images

Of course, by that time, the rot had gone too far, and the Ottoman Empire, for the rest of its time, was known as the "Sick Man of Europe."

Something the USA can look forward to!! · ·
indubitablysmile.gif

'
The American Praetorian Class

John Stockwell

John R. Stockwell is a former CIA officer who became a critic of United States government policies after serving in the Agency for thirteen years serving seven tours of duty. After managing U.S. involvement in the Angolan Civil War as Chief of the Angola Task Force during its 1975 covert operations, he resigned and wrote In Search of Enemies, a book which remains the only detailed, insider's account of a major CIA "covert action."

QUOTES

* "It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

* "Enemies are necessary for the wheels of the U.S. military machine to turn."

* "Short, successful military adventures are as effective as the Super Bowl in diverting peoples' attention from unpleasant truths."

In 1980, Stockwell said,

* "if the Soviet Union were to disappear off the face of the map, the United States would quickly seek out new enemies to justify its own military-industrial complex."

'
The Praetorian Guard

Following the death of Sejanus, who was sacrificed for the Donativum (imperial gift) promised by Tiberius, the Guards began to play an increasingly ambitious and bloody game in the Empire. With the right amount of money, or at will, they assassinated emperors, bullied their own prefects, or turned on the people of Rome....
In 41 Caligula was killed by conspirators from the senatorial class and from the Guard. The Praetorians placed Claudius on the throne, daring the Senate to oppose their decision.

During 69, the Year of the Four Emperors, after the emperor Galba failed to provide a donative for the Praetorians, they transferred their allegiance to Otho and assassinated the emperor.
images

Indeed.:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

'
The Praetorian Guard

images

In 193, Didius Julianus purchased the Empire from the Guard for a vast sum, when the Guard auctioned it off after killing Pertinax....

When Constantine the Great, launching an invasion of Italy in 312, forced a final confrontation at the Milvian Bridge, the Praetorian cohorts made up most of Maxentius' army. Later in Rome, the victorious Constantine definitively disbanded the Praetorian Guard. The soldiers were sent out to various corners of the Empire, and the Castra Praetoria was demolished.
And sown with salt? · · :D

My dear sir, if it was your intent to make me feel stupid you have certainly succeeded. Oh, I try to use “Praetorian Guard” in a sentence at least once a day, but I am somewhat handicapped by my Marine Corps background. Whenever I say motherfucking Praetorian Guard I seem to turn off most listeners. It's probably due to the fact that such a noble sounding name as Praetorian Guard is deserving of more dignified modifiers. But how was I, a simple and humble man, supposed to know such things. May the ghost of the Praetorian Guard forgive me.

PS: Some time ago, one of my friends had a custom party where everyone was told to come dressed as a Praetorian Guard. No one came and the disappearance of my friend is still an open case.

Joking, of course. I consider myself to be extremely knowledgeable about the Egyptian pyramids, but as far as Egyptian history is concerned, I wish I knew more. Unfortunately as one approaches my age (73) one must limit his quests for knowledge and at the moment I am researching such fascinating subjects as the history of dirt and recipes for wildebeest.

Have a great day.

'

Congratulations, sir, on your ability to use so many words, and yet say absolutely nothing!!

'

Congratulations, sir, on your ability to use so many words, and yet say absolutely nothing!!

Since that is exactly what I was trying to do, I take your reply as a compliment. I apologize for my not-too- successful attempt at comedy; however, I assure you sir, that when I find the who ne'er-do-well who killed your sense of humor, I will soundly thrash the miscreant (unless, of course, he is a member in good standing of the Praetorian Guard).

In truth, I know a lot about a lot of things and I am considered an expert on some things. When I encounter someone who - like you – knows a lot about something I know little or nothing about (but wish I did), I am impressed. My feelings find many expressions and in this case, I thought humor was the appropriate response. I was wrong, so having been totally humiliated and disgraced, in keeping with the honored tradition of the Japanese Samurai, I will have a few glasses of sake and tell the world to kiss my ass.

Perhaps this will sound better to you: Although I have no knowledge of the subject you write about, I am impressed with your intellect and your knowledge of, and curiosity about, such fascinating things. I am totally sincere, and if that's not enough for you may the the entire Praetorian Guard poop on your porch.

I respect ALL knowledge and that's the truth. I did not intend to belittle you and If I did I am sorry. As for you, you are perhaps too serious. Pure intelligence that is not tempered with understanding, humility and humor is much like faith without works: DEAD.

OK, I am done with this thread.

'
The Secret Wars of the CIA

When the world has gotten blocked up before, like a Monopoly game where everything is owned and nobody can make any progress, the way they erase the board and start over has been to have big world wars. Erase countries, bomb cities, and bomb banks, and then start from scratch again. This is not an option to us now, because of all these fifty-two thousand nuclear weapons....

Now, how do you teach torture? Someone can teach you about torture, but sooner or later you have to get involved. You have to lay on your hands and try it yourself. They would pick up guinea pigs off the streets: beggars, and take them in to use in these torture training classes. Of course, the horror of that is, these people wouldn't know why they were being tortured. They couldn't give up. They couldn't say: "I'm sorry! Stop the pain! I'll tell you the names of everybody involved!" All they could do was lie there and scream!

When they would collapse, they would bring in doctors who would shoot them up with Vitamin B and rest them up for the next class. And when they would die, they would mutilate the bodies and throw them out on the streets to terrify the population, so that everybody would be afraid of the police and the Government. This is what the CIA was teaching them to do.

Forum List

Back