Constantine the Great: Politics and Religion

What is the 'secular guide book'?
The Constitution.

I was hoping you'd say that.

It was based largely in the Bible....and has a reference to Jesus Christ therein.

1. "Thirty-four percent of all the quotes by the founding fathers came from the Bible. Also, men like Blackstone and Locke, whom the founders quoted, took much of their own quotes from the Bible. Our three branches of government came from Isaiah 33:22. Tax exemption for churches came from Ezra 7:24, which no other nation has today. The book of Deuteronomy was the most quoted book of the Bible by our founding fathers. This book deals much with civil government. This is why America was founded as a republic, not a democracy. We are governed by constitutional law, not by majority law. Our founding fathers, who framed the constitution realized that governments of democracy were short lived and ended in bondage. Democracies are only a step from anarchy."
http://www.fundamentalfaith.com/id38.htm

2. This sort of thing:

The oath of office of the Supreme Court is almost identical with this from the bible:

Here is the oath taken by Supreme Court Justices:

I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________ under the Constitution and laws of the United States.

QED: Bill's wife has no understanding of either justice, nor of the Supreme Court's role.

I hope all notice how similar that oath is to this:
"Do not twist justice in legal matters by favoring the poor or being partial to the rich and powerful. Always judge people fairly."
Leviticus 19:15

3. "Despite the secular nature of our national government, there is one unambiguous reference to Christ in the Constitution. Article VII dates the Constitution in "the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven."
"The Year of Our Lord" and separation.
I said Christianity was very influential. I then said but we had a secular guideline. you asked what it was and I said the Constitution. Now you are supporting my culture comment. The year of our lord is a phrase regarding the time, quite common in the day. It's not a mandate or law. You are trying to fit facts into a belief.

The reference is there, and if there has been any attempt at 'a secular nation,' it wouldn't have been.

“52 of the 56 signers of the declaration and 50 to 52 of the 55 signers of the Constitution were orthodox Trinitarian Christians.” David Limbaugh

Believers in the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, or, as they would be known today, “an extremist Fundementalist hate group.”
Coulter
Goddamit, will you read the actual words? I said, three times now that Christianity influence the culture a great deal but the founders were wise enough to create a secular rule book. The Constitution does not promote or inhibit religion.

OK....Ok!!!!!

In the fervent hope of avoiding another scolding, I'd like to agree with this...
"The Constitution does not promote or inhibit religion"...

...and add that, under Liberals and Progressives, it is not only not honored....but they thumb their nose at same.

7. "....take the issue of terrorism.... Trump calls out the evil of Islamic terrorism and extremism for what it is; and seeks to sensibly scrutinise the policy of mass Islamic immigration in order to protect national security. In doing so, he has again overcome the slogans of “Islamophobia” and “racism to actually discuss an important, sensitive issue.

Christian conservatives need exactly the same thing to happen with other issues, like abortion and marriage. This is how Trump could be a great president for conservative Christians. Trump is ... capable of changing society to make it more tolerant of robust discussions on controversial issues.

At last, with a leader who publicly holds the silencing tactics of the left with utter contempt, it would be possible to stand up to leftists on hot-button issues.

People would speak more freely about a range of issues. Political correctness, after being denounced by Trump over and over again, would be severely weakened. Cultural Marxism and the politics of victimhood would be crippled. Progressives who seek to shut down debate would realise that their tactics no longer work. And following this fundamental transformation of the political scene, conservatives could finally be free to make their case in the public sphere."
MercatorNet: Is Trump the new Constantine?

If only this were possible.

But the Left has firm control of every avenue of dissemination of information....and hate and fear open debate.

President Trump will have a Sisyphean task.....
....and it won't just be the Left working to have him fail.

He'll have to be another Constantine.

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Ecclesiastes 1:9
It's because they never had internet access...

7. "....take the issue of terrorism.... Trump calls out the evil of Islamic terrorism and extremism for what it is; and seeks to sensibly scrutinise the policy of mass Islamic immigration in order to protect national security. In doing so, he has again overcome the slogans of “Islamophobia” and “racism to actually discuss an important, sensitive issue.

Christian conservatives need exactly the same thing to happen with other issues, like abortion and marriage. This is how Trump could be a great president for conservative Christians. Trump is ... capable of changing society to make it more tolerant of robust discussions on controversial issues.

At last, with a leader who publicly holds the silencing tactics of the left with utter contempt, it would be possible to stand up to leftists on hot-button issues.

People would speak more freely about a range of issues. Political correctness, after being denounced by Trump over and over again, would be severely weakened. Cultural Marxism and the politics of victimhood would be crippled. Progressives who seek to shut down debate would realise that their tactics no longer work. And following this fundamental transformation of the political scene, conservatives could finally be free to make their case in the public sphere."

But the Left has firm control of every avenue of dissemination of information....and hate and fear open debate.

Yeah, well Constantine also used the Sibylline oracles...

I see.....so, since President Trump predicted his unexpected win...he must have resorted to fortune-tellers, too?

Must be a lot of that going around...

"Remember When Hillary Clinton Maybe Communed With Dead Eleanor Roosevelt's Ghost at the White House?"
Remember When Hillary Clinton Maybe Communed With Dead Eleanor Roosevelt's Ghost at the White House?

I see.....so, since President Trump predicted his unexpected win...he must have resorted to fortune-tellers, too?

"Remember When Hillary Clinton Maybe Communed With Dead Eleanor Roosevelt's Ghost at the White House?"
Remember When Hillary Clinton Maybe Communed With Dead Eleanor Roosevelt's Ghost at the White House?
Remember when Nancy and Ronny Reagan used astrologers and psychics???? Or we you not alive then?

Remember when Nancy and Ronny Reagan used astrologers and psychics???? Or we you not alive then?

I know lots of things from before my glorious existence.....it's called 'reading.'
Think you might try it some time?

I know lots of things from before my glorious existence.....it's called 'reading.'
The ancient world is mostly all I read about and always have....and being ancient, it includes my time on the planet..

The ancient world is mostly all I read about and always have....and being ancient, it includes my time on the planet..

I'm speechless!
...and you know how rare that is.

Good post.

What is the 'secular guide book'?
The Constitution.

It was based largely in the Bible....and has a reference to Jesus Christ therein.

1. "Thirty-four percent of all the quotes by the founding fathers came from the Bible. Also, men like Blackstone and Locke, whom the founders quoted, took much of their own quotes from the Bible. Our three branches of government came from Isaiah 33:22. Tax exemption for churches came from Ezra 7:24, which no other nation has today. The book of Deuteronomy was the most quoted book of the Bible by our founding fathers. This book deals much with civil government. This is why America was founded as a republic, not a democracy. We are governed by constitutional law, not by majority law. Our founding fathers, who framed the constitution realized that governments of democracy were short lived and ended in bondage. Democracies are only a step from anarchy."

2. This sort of thing:

The oath of office of the Supreme Court is almost identical with this from the bible:

I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________ under the Constitution and laws of the United States.

QED: Bill's wife has no understanding of either justice, nor of the Supreme Court's role.

"Do not twist justice in legal matters by favoring the poor or being partial to the rich and powerful. Always judge people fairly."

3. "Despite the secular nature of our national government, there is one unambiguous reference to Christ in the Constitution. Article VII dates the Constitution in "the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven."
I said Christianity was very influential. I then said but we had a secular guideline. you asked what it was and I said the Constitution. Now you are supporting my culture comment. The year of our lord is a phrase regarding the time, quite common in the day. It's not a mandate or law. You are trying to fit facts into a belief.

The reference is there, and if there has been any attempt at 'a secular nation,' it wouldn't have been.

“52 of the 56 signers of the declaration and 50 to 52 of the 55 signers of the Constitution were orthodox Trinitarian Christians.” David Limbaugh

Believers in the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, or, as they would be known today, “an extremist Fundementalist hate group.”
Coulter
Goddamit, will you read the actual words? I said, three times now that Christianity influence the culture a great deal but the founders were wise enough to create a secular rule book. The Constitution does not promote or inhibitm religion.
The Constitution provides for an observance of the Sabbath in its Presentment Clause, mandating that the President has ten days, excluding Sundays, to veto a bill lest it become binding.

And the instrument was framed with a view to the Declaration, which unequivocally bestows gratitude on the God of the Bible for America's independence.

You're partly right; the Constitution does not inhibit the proliferation of the national religion.

The Constitution.

2. This sort of thing:

Coulter
Goddamit, will you read the actual words? I said, three times now that Christianity influence the culture a great deal but the founders were wise enough to create a secular rule book. The Constitution does not promote or inhibitm religion.
The Constitution provides for an observance of the Sabbath in its Presentment Clause, mandating that the President has ten days, excluding Sundays, to veto a bill lest it become binding.

And the instrument was framed with a view to the Declaration, which unequivocally bestows gratitude on the God of the Bible for America's independence.

You're partly right; the Constitution does not inhibit the proliferation of the national religion.
Partly right and Sundays off in the Presentment Claus is all you have to hang your hat on? No sale.

The Constitution.

2. This sort of thing:

Coulter

You are the smartest little whippersnapper of a caterpillar!!

I don't care *what* religion you are! You made things worse when you made them better! I mean, I liked having a lot of free time, but I hated not having anything to do. Don't you see, things were good when they were bad, and they got bad when they were good. People aren't happy unless they're unhappy.

2. This sort of thing:

Coulter

Partly right and Sundays off in the Presentment Claus is all you have to hang your hat on? No sale.
Did you miss the part about the Declaration?

2. This sort of thing:

Coulter

What are you denying, Icey???

That the nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles???

That the Founders were believers???

What the dillio???

I don't care *what* religion you are! You made things worse when you made them better! I mean, I liked having a lot of free time, but I hated not having anything to do. Don't you see, things were good when they were bad, and they got bad when they were good. People aren't happy unless they're unhappy.

"I don't care *what* religion you are!"

Maybe you should.

"Christians and Jews....the more devout, the less violent. Not so with Islam."
Bill Donohue

"I don't care *what* religion you are!"

Maybe you should.

"Christians and Jews....the more devout, the less violent. Not so with Islam."
Bill Donohue
I'm sorry, I wasn't listening..I was staring at your breast...

Coulter

Did you miss the part about the Declaration?
The DoI isn't in the Constitution. Don't hurt yourself.

Coulter

What are you denying, Icey???

That the nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles???

That the Founders were believers???

What the dillio???
I said what I was talking about quite clearly and even repeated it for you. This will be the third or fourth time. Yes, a Christian culture but the Constitution is secular.

Not all the founders were believers though. Jefferson and a few others were Deists, maybe ole Georgie too in his later years.

Forum List

Back