The physical meaning of the melody

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
Notes are a uniform gradation of frequencies, each note in the next octave, has a double frequency of the same name in the previous octave. That is, it is built inductively on the same principle as mathematical sets of numbers. It is not the notes themselves that are important here, but their ratio.

Could this make physical sense?

PS
I mean that there may be some general principle of acoustics here than just a melody.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I fully grasp the question, but as I understand it, frequencies = vibrations = waves. Sound waves are a physical thing. If they are physical, they can then be described mathematically.

Stumbled onto this, it includes a mathematical component:

• Banned
I'm not sure that I fully grasp the question, but as I understand it, frequencies = vibrations = waves. Sound waves are a physical thing. If they are physical, they can then be described mathematically.

Stumbled onto this, it includes a mathematical component:
I mean that there may be some general principle of acoustics here than just a melody.

• Banned
We can talk of harmony in this context. Why some of these frequencies are combined and some are discordant? From the acoustics point of view, is it an objective natural phenomenon or is it just a subjective perception?

And is there any connection between melody and harmony?

• Banned
As far as I remember from the acoustics point of view, harmony is the superposition of waves, probably this concept is close to interference, and it has nothing to do with specific frequencies, right?

Notes are a uniform gradation of frequencies, each note in the next octave, has a double frequency of the same name in the previous octave. That is, it is built inductively on the same principle as mathematical sets of numbers. It is not the notes themselves that are important here, but their ratio.

Could this make physical sense?

PS
It makes perfect sense.

When I pluck the open A string on a guitar in standard tuning it vibrates back and forth 110 times per second. A frequency of 110 Hz.

The 12th fret on a guitar is situated half way between the nut and the bridge. Therefore when I place a finger behind the 12th fret I am cutting the vibrating portion of the string in half so when I pluck the string it's frequency will double to 220 Hz.

Do you play any musical instruments?

Last edited:
Perhaps you're onto tempered scales & modes here Rup?

~S~

The ratio of wavelengths between C and G is 3 : 2
That means for every 2 wavelengths of C there are 3 of G
So if the two notes are played together, the two wavelengths will be in sync fairly often

The ratio of wavelengths between C an B it's 17 :9
That means for every 17 wavelengths of C there are 9 of G
That will sound dissonant.

Melodies with notes that are mostly in simple ratios will sound more harmonious.

The ratio of wavelengths between C and G is 3 : 2
That means for every 2 wavelengths of C there are 3 of G
So if the two notes are played together, the two wavelengths will be in sync fairly often

The ratio of wavelengths between C an B it's 17 :9
That means for every 17 wavelengths of C there are 9 of G
That will sound dissonant.

Melodies with notes that are mostly in simple ratios will sound more harmonious.

Repeatedly using a minor 2nd in a melody causes a certain dissonance that creates tension in the music.

For example, the opening melody in the theme from Jaws repeatedly using an ascending minor 2nd. Or Mancini using it to open the theme from Pink Panther.

Or Beethoven repeatedly using a descending minor 2nd in the opening melody of Fur Elise.

Repeatedly using a minor 2nd in a melody causes a certain dissonance that creates tension in the music.

For example, the opening melody in the theme from Jaws repeatedly using an ascending minor 2nd. Or Mancini using it to open the theme from Pink Panther.

Or Beethoven repeatedly using a descending minor 2nd in the opening melody of Fur Elise.
Yes, I prefer more tension which gives life in music. I find music that is mostly harmonious rather boring. My favorites are music like Stravinsky's Le Sacre Du Printemps. Or when I was a kid I liked progressive jazz, with chord names that required many syllables.

There is also tension in early Bulgarian and Macedonian folk music with just the rhythm. Some commonly used rhythms such are 7/8, 11/16, 13/16, etc.

We can talk of harmony in this context. Why some of these frequencies are combined and some are discordant? From the acoustics point of view, is it an objective natural phenomenon or is it just a subjective perception?

And is there any connection between melody and harmony?
It's clearly both natural and subjective. We come in different sizes so our parts resonate (or tune into) different frequencies. But such variation is of limited range so highly natural in general. No music expert here, but I gather harmony is dependent upon melody.

Yes, I prefer more tension which gives life in music. I find music that is mostly harmonious rather boring. My favorites are music like Stravinsky's Le Sacre Du Printemps. Or when I was a kid I liked progressive jazz, with chord names that required many syllables.

There is also tension in early Bulgarian and Macedonian folk music with just the rhythm. Some commonly used rhythms such are 7/8, 11/16, 13/16, etc.
Maybe it depends on the mentality. On the contrary, it seems to me boring music in which there is little harmony
In general, I think that harmonious music is associated with romantic compositions, for example, Scorpions are always romantic and melodic.
I love the melody and rhythm in music, I am not original, only I do not like gaiety. I practically don't know how to play funny melodies at all, I don't know how to make music fun when I play the guitar.

It's clearly both natural and subjective. We come in different sizes so our parts resonate (or tune into) different frequencies. But such variation is of limited range so highly natural in general. No music expert here, but I gather harmony is dependent upon melody.
Strictly speaking, from a chord, from a combination of sounds. Strictly speaking, a melody is a sequence of sounds and it may not merge into harmony.

In general, I often think that this is a profanation, when a person cannot compose or play a harmonious thing, he simply passes it off as a feature.
In fact, there is not so much good harmonious music. It often happens that a group shoots out one hit, and everything else is pale and interests only the fans, and most often this hit is harmonious. For example, this is Creep radiohead, everything else listen to only fans.
It often happens that this is not a composition of the group that releases it. So it was with the Russian group Aquarium, unlike other compositions, their song "Gold Town" is not their music and this is one hit only.

Now the classics are being promoted on YouTube. For example Chopin. They slip modern music in their place. And real Chopin is just shit in comparision with it.

And this is just dirty PR of Chopin

They are trying to convince people that good music is the kind of music they don't like. They say that there is a refined taste behind it, but in reality there is only mediocrity. This is just a politics. No one know what is classic, there are no criteria, it's what PR-tecnologists want to consider "classic". In arts sciense there is classicism and there is no any "classic"

Harmonious music can be compared to the harmony of movement. If someone moves harmoniously, it always attracts attention, because the movements of most people are clumsy and imperfect. Or real beauty, it is dazzling. This is precisely harmony that is rarely found, it is precisely harmony that is exclusive. They drive perverted templates into the masses. Most people are able to feel harmony in everything from nature. No theory is needed to enjoy listening to music. If people hear a melody, then they recognize both notes and harmony, they just do not know about it.

How much is a little?

Could you elaborate?
I don't know how to clarify. I just can play some songs. I can play "nothing else matters" for example. But this is a difficult thing for me. Spanish style probably couldn't. can do pull-off's, slices, hummers, I play with rasgueado and finger style, prefer rasgueado. Something like this.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back