The only thing that can really save our country in the long run

I am opposed to term limits.
I am opposed to limiting contributions.

We have had massive regulation of campaign funding. And that's the problem. Candidates have to run around collecting $500 donations. I seem to remember Reagan was elected with about 20 major donors. I could be wrong. It makes candidates whores for thousands of people.
I am for more disclosure on all sides. Shine the light of day and watch the cockroaches scatter.

That was a different time. As time progresses so does the corruption that money buys. The campaign finance reform we got was a joke.
Richard Daly stole the Chicago vote for JFK, giving him the presidency. How have we gotten mroe corrupt than that?

There is no way to eliminate money from campaigns without voting people in for life.

Just shuddup neocon. You disgust me.

Day in and day out our elected officials spend hours each day campaigning for campaign dollars. When they take time out to make a speech and/or attend luncheons etc etc etc this is campaigning

How about if they stay at the work place and take care of business? instead of chasing special interest dollars!

How about if they stay in the work place and read the legislation they vote on? instead of chasing special interest dollars! for money. Let's not pretend only the presidential race is on the clock 24/7.

Perhaps it would be best for all of us if our elected officials would stay at the work place instead of flying to anywhere chasing special interest dollars.

How about if they stay at the work place and cut wayyyyyy back on travel expenses? instead of chasing special interest dollars!

How about they stay at the work place and cut off special interest financing of our elections? instead of chasing special interest dollars!

This is directed at democrats,republicans,cabinet officials and their staff people!!!

Thank You!

You used his name, not me.

Because implying it was a clever way of doing the same damn thing.

You paulbots are so predictable.

Im just speaking the truth. If you associate that with Ron Paul thats fine. The fact that you have a problem with Ron Paul being associated with truth speaks volumes to your mental capacity and your delusional state when it comes to picking your candidate.

The fact that you can't seem to grasp the idea that all threads don't revolve around Paul indeed does speak volumes. Do try to keep up.

One answer to our political problems : CUT OFF special interest financing of elections! YES even at the local level.

Our government is always claiming the USA is about democracy. In that case allow the citizens to practice democracy by allowing citizens to vote on these issues in 2012:

Let's demand a new system and vote in Fair Vote America : FairVote.org | Instant Runoff Voting
Demand a change on the next ballot.

Let's have public financing of campaigns. Citizens cannot afford special interest money campaigns for it is the citizens that get left out. Let citizens vote on this issue.
Home | Public Campaign

Bribery of elected officials and bribed officials = the most stinky of all bribery!

That was a different time. As time progresses so does the corruption that money buys. The campaign finance reform we got was a joke.
Richard Daly stole the Chicago vote for JFK, giving him the presidency. How have we gotten mroe corrupt than that?

There is no way to eliminate money from campaigns without voting people in for life.

Just shuddup neocon. You disgust me.

About the level of discourse I expect from a Paul-bot. Get into specifics and they cuss you out.

Because implying it was a clever way of doing the same damn thing.

You paulbots are so predictable.

Im just speaking the truth. If you associate that with Ron Paul thats fine. The fact that you have a problem with Ron Paul being associated with truth speaks volumes to your mental capacity and your delusional state when it comes to picking your candidate.

The fact that you can't seem to grasp the idea that all threads don't revolve around Paul indeed does speak volumes. Do try to keep up.

Quit fighting the revolution and join us!

Quit fighting the revolution and join us!

Rather than join you I think I may just mute you. It gets tiring listening to your Paul fantasies in EVERY DAMN THREAD.

Give it a rest.

Term limits for Congress.

I believe it really is that simple. Term limits would relieve a lot of the financial corruption that leads to bad laws and regulations. If a congressman didn't have to focus so much of his time trying to appease donors and influential figures they could instead focus on the issues that face our country.
Either party couldn't threaten members to vote a certain way or lose reelection funding.

Elections are the public's opportunity to hold their representatives accountable. If politicians don't stand for re-election, then they aren't held accountable for their actions by their constituents.

I believe it really is that simple. Term limits would relieve a lot of the financial corruption that leads to bad laws and regulations. If a congressman didn't have to focus so much of his time trying to appease donors and influential figures they could instead focus on the issues that face our country.
Either party couldn't threaten members to vote a certain way or lose reelection funding.

Elections are the public's opportunity to hold their representatives accountable. If politicians don't stand for re-election, then they aren't held accountable for their actions by their constituents.

There is one MAJOR flaw in your theory.

Most of the public has no idea just how bad these politicians rip us off. Uneducated voters far outweigh the informed ones. Hence we keep reelecting the same crooks over and over again.

Make congress abide by every single law they pass no exceptions. and I certainly think it would help to put them on half pay, half time, and half staff. Til they show us the earn the money they make. That what go for obamiwamie too.

Term limits are a simplistic solution to tell me I am not capable of selecting the person best able to represent me.

If I am not satisfied, I will vote the person out. Otherwise, I should be able to reward good performance

Term limits are a simplistic solution to tell me I am not capable of selecting the person best able to represent me.

If I am not satisfied, I will vote the person out. Otherwise, I should be able to reward good performance

So your "one" vote amid thousands of uninformed votes is going to make a difference?

Very naive

Either party couldn't threaten members to vote a certain way or lose reelection funding. Career politicians will always put their own careers ahead of our countries best interest.
It could also prevent either the left or the right from drastically altering the direction of this country.

On a related topic I believe that elections should have both monetary restrictions placed on them. Ads should be restricted to public television with limits placed on them. Remove the need for huge cash investments in campaigns and we remove the tool for a lot of the corruption that begins before a candidate even takes office.

The problem isn't about term limits or a lack of term limits.

It's about money, BIG money. It's about campaign contributions driving legislation. It's about the revolving door of former congressmen and senators (as well as their staff members) becoming lobbyists after they leave Congress, only to later run for office again or getting appointed to a gov't post which has oversight of their former employers' businesses.

It's about divided loyalty!

Most of the public has no idea just how bad these politicians rip us off. Uneducated voters far outweigh the informed ones. Hence we keep reelecting the same crooks over and over again.

If the premise is that voters are unable to select their representatives, then term limits are irrelevant. Same face or new blood, the voters are incapable of fulfilling their responsibility to make the choice in an election.

Your problem is with our form of government, not the precise mechanics of its administration.

so you think the people who voted the guy who thought guam would tip over into office capable? really?

So the solution is not term limits but voter limits. Bring back property qualifications or literacy tests

So the solution is not term limits but voter limits. Bring back property qualifications or literacy tests

So renters can't vote? Half the people in any large city.

That's crazy.

So renters can't vote? Half the people in any large city.

That's crazy.

Either own property or show a minimum net worth. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than what we have now? Yup. Is there another solution? No.

Forum List

Back