Majority of Americans wrongly believe US is in recession – and most blame Biden

• 55% believe the economy is shrinking, and 56% think the US is experiencing a recession, though the broadest measure of the economy, gross domestic product (GDP), has been growing.
  • 49% believe the S&P 500 stock market index is down for the year, though the index went up about 24% in 2023 and is up more than 12% this year.
  • 49% believe that unemployment is at a 50-year high, though the unemployment rate has been under 4%, a near 50-year low.

Its puzzling but perhaps it proves the powerr of right wing misinformation.It also illustrates
the stupidity of many American voters. Perhaps if they paid more attention to the economy and less to banning books and stringing up trannys they might have more informed opinions.

Anyway it looks like many of them are about to make an act of nationa lself harm.
It is the goebbels effect..

“Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth”
They are doubling down on this and the Right Wing bubble is pushing this hard... They are saying if you don't believe the economy is tanking you are unAmerican despite the reality...

This is their only play... They got nothing else... The Economy is going well after trump's mishandling of it... Biden's team has taken a rocky situation and did well.. Trump cut oil and increased borrowing to pay for massive tax cut (which didn't spur the economy), this caused inflation when Biden fixed the other parts of the economy...
Big thing is that wages have been increasing faster than inflation since Feb 2023...

I think Biden should lead with the Economy and call out the liars, the anti Americans who tried to break the economy before he got it... Sorry lads, Biden is just too good for you...

They are doubling down on this and the Right Wing bubble is pushing this hard... They are saying if you don't believe the economy is tanking you are unAmerican despite the reality...

This is their only play... They got nothing else... The Economy is going well after trump's mishandling of it... Biden's team has taken a rocky situation and did well.. Trump cut oil and increased borrowing to pay for massive tax cut (which didn't spur the economy), this caused inflation when Biden fixed the other parts of the economy...
Big thing is that wages have been increasing faster than inflation since Feb 2023...

I think Biden should lead with the Economy and call out the liars, the anti Americans who tried to break the economy before he got it... Sorry lads, Biden is just too good for you...
you dont live here either.....biden cant lead with the economy because a hell of a lot of us live in it and we know better....

Those people are wrong.
LOL. So, you're saying 70% of Americans are wrong? Good luck trying to win elections when only 25% of voters think the country is going in the right direction. Good luck trying to win elections when the majority of Americans can't afford to live anymore and you tell them that they're wrong.

LOL

SINCE BIDEN TOOK OFFICE:

Gas: +55.5%
Groceries: +21.3%
Eating out: +21.8%
Baby food: +30%
Pet food: +23.1%
K-12 food: +64.9%
Rent: +20.8%
Electricity: +28.5%
Natural gas: +22%
Used cars: +20.4%
Airfare: +38.2%
Public transportation: +26.1%
Real average weekly earnings: -4.4%

The only explanation I can imagine is that inflation was terribly destructive and terribly disruptive (clearly), and people are blaming Biden for it on a variety of levels.

Never mind that the inflation jump was inevitable. Americans just don't get into the details by and large (although I don't think that's just in America).

Bottom line, we get what we deserve. If we're not going to worry about details, then too bad.
Elections (especially rigged ones) have consequences

• 55% believe the economy is shrinking, and 56% think the US is experiencing a recession, though the broadest measure of the economy, gross domestic product (GDP), has been growing.
  • 49% believe the S&P 500 stock market index is down for the year, though the index went up about 24% in 2023 and is up more than 12% this year.
  • 49% believe that unemployment is at a 50-year high, though the unemployment rate has been under 4%, a near 50-year low.

Its puzzling but perhaps it proves the powerr of right wing misinformation.It also illustrates
the stupidity of many American voters. Perhaps if they paid more attention to the economy and less to banning books and stringing up trannys they might have more informed opinions.

Anyway it looks like many of them are about to make an act of nationa lself harm.
Just because there isn't a technical recession doesn't mean citizens qualify of life is better, in fact, much of the West it is worse.

The only reason there was economic positivity is due to debt. It's that simple. You borrow trillions of dollars, pump it into the economy and tell everyone "look how good we have it!".

It's like the guy racking up his C.C, renting a BMW, buying suits on credit and telling all his friends how he's made it. It's all smoke and mirrors. Worse in a real economy where all that artificial spending and influx of currency creates steep inflation issues.

Its obvious that these chimps do not have any understanding of inflation or perhaps anything.But why do they need to when it would only cloud their midds.

Weve got inflation over here. A lot of it self inflicted. Truss,Brexit. But a lot of it was covid and a lot of it Ukraine.

Do they think that MTG and Johnson have the nswers? Or trump.
The economy and inflation will improve right after it is known Trump is president again.

Some of us have seen this movie before. In the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis, the Fed engaged in “quantitative easing” — loosely speaking, printing a lot of money in an attempt to boost a weak economy — and there were many people insisting that this would lead to runaway inflation.
I've posted this many times, and the rubes simply don't understand. Or lack the capacity to.

When QE started, everyone was concerned that it would cause runaway inflation. In the financial services industry (my profession for 23+ years), we were concerned about the bond market, big time. QE just continued, and it grew. Not only did Trump's economy profit hugely from it, he begged the Fed for MORE, even though it was so inflationary.

The economy was able to absorb it for the most part, mostly because it still had so much slack from the Meltdown. But when global supply chains collapsed coming out of the lockdowns, there was no stopping it. Then, perhaps even worse, the Fed sat on its hands for several months, the inflation lasted long enough to feed on itself, and all fuckin' bets were off.

The rubes? This is far too complicated for them. They just want to blame the mega-evil Biden, who (by the way) is in league with Satan and Hitler to destroy America 'n stuff. And unfortunately, the media doesn't trust the general populace enough to educate them.

Last edited:
I've posted this many times, and the rubes simply don't understand. Or lack the capacity to.

When QE started, everyone was concerned that it would cause runaway inflation. In the financial services industry (my profession for 23+ years), we were concerned about the bond market, big time. QE just continued, and it grew. Not only did Trump's economy profit hugely from it, he begged the Fed for MORE, even though it was so inflationary.

The economy was able to absorb it for the most part, mostly because it still had so much slack from the Meltdown. But when global supply chains collapsed coming out of the lockdowns, there was no stopping it. Then, perhaps even worse, the Fed sat on its hands for several months, the inflation lasted long enough to feed on itself, and all bets were off.

The rubes? This is far too complicated for them. They just want to blame the mega-evil Biden, who is in league with Satan and Hitler. And unfortunately, the media doesn't trust the general populace enough to educate them.

That's what you voted for in 2020, dipshit.

And now you're going to do it again.

Terminal stupidity.

Not once have I heard there's a recession.

If the economy is great, why don’t Americans believe it is great?

If America was doing as good as the gaslighters say, then Briben would be much more popular.

Why do Americans believe the economy is bad?

BECAUSE IT IS!!!

People know they cannot afford anything anymore and can't make ends meet. To them, that is a recession and it is a cold hard fact the left want to deny. Trying to tell everyone who can't afford to live anymore that everything's going just fine is falling on deaf ears.
Everywhere I go I see people buying stuff and eating out.

Funny that Trumpers can’t acknowledge the facts in the OP but try to deflect with bullshit about global warming

LOL

SINCE BIDEN TOOK OFFICE:

Gas: +55.5%
Groceries: +21.3%
Eating out: +21.8%
Baby food: +30%
Pet food: +23.1%
K-12 food: +64.9%
Rent: +20.8%
Electricity: +28.5%
Natural gas: +22%
Used cars: +20.4%
Airfare: +38.2%
Public transportation: +26.1%
Real average weekly earnings: -4.4%
Do you have links for those figures ?

Everywhere I go I see people buying stuff and eating out.

Funny that Trumpers can’t acknowledge the facts in the OP but try to deflect with bullshit about global warming
Indeed the impression I get is that folk are living on road kill.

Forum List

Back