The Obesity Epidemic

There are so many fat people in our society that it appears nobody notices it anymore.

Everywhere you look you are confronted with fat people. In restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, malls, churches, and grocery stores. Every wedding seems to feature a whole posse of fat bridesmaids wearing dresses that would look nice on someone half their size.

"We" still pay lip service to good health and physical fitness; health clubs are all over the fucking place, and weight-loss products and programs are ubiquitous. "Everybody" is buying these sophisticated stationary bicycles so that "we" can replicate the Tour de France in our basements...but it seems like most of us are just fat and lazy. Clothing styles cater to people who are, to be candid, too fat to wear them. There are few things more visually nauseating than a fat woman wearing skin-tight "yoga" pants. Honestly, you should require a permit from the Health Department to wear them.

More and more advertising features fat men and women hawking all sorts of products, including unhealthy food (fast food commercials).

Electric bikes are all the rage, and it's partly because they make it possible for fat, old, and poorly conditioned people to get out and appear to be getting some good exercise. But if you are using the motor, you are doing little more than taking a leisurely walk. I see FB postings all the time of fat bastards bragging about how many miles they covered or how many calories they burned on their e-bikes...are you kidding me? With an electric motor???

It used to be that when you went overseas, the Americans stuck out because they were the fat ones, but that is becoming less and less the case, as the rest of the Western World is catching up (down) to Americans.

There is a political aspect to this, as there is to almost everything. Part of the reason why obesity is "accepted" now is that the Left believes that NOBODY should be made to feel badly about himself for any reason (other than being a Trump supporter). If being fat-shamed makes you feel bad, then the problem is NOT that you are too fucking fat; it's because the person who made the perhaps thoughtless remark was evil.

This is the kind of thing that the First Lady (or the surgeon general) could be working on. Encourage good eating habits, especially among young people, promote healthy exercise, find creative ways to get moving during the bad weather months. Focus on the problem...because it IS a problem.

Ironically, the pharmaceutical industry has played a big part in normalizing obesity. It used to be that if you were "morbidly obese" you wouldn't live very long. Doctors told you in no uncertain terms that you had to lose weight as you got older. But now, they have drugs that can keep you going forever, with blood pressure, heart rate, and blood chemistry under complete control until you are run over by a bus at 93.

I don't know the solution. Basically, I think it's capitalism at work. There are several industries that have profited by making food that PEOPLE LIKE, and people like food that is not good for them. But normalizing obesity is not a good cultural development. Telling people to be proud or satisfied with their appearance when they are fat just because you don't want to hurt their feelings, is counterproductive. Like eating too much candy. Short term benefit, long term harm.
We have way too much processed food in our diets, way too many fillers that offer nutritional value. Combine it with little to no exercise and here we are.

There are so many fat people in our society that it appears nobody notices it anymore.

Everywhere you look you are confronted with fat people. In restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, malls, churches, and grocery stores. Every wedding seems to feature a whole posse of fat bridesmaids wearing dresses that would look nice on someone half their size.

"We" still pay lip service to good health and physical fitness; health clubs are all over the fucking place, and weight-loss products and programs are ubiquitous. "Everybody" is buying these sophisticated stationary bicycles so that "we" can replicate the Tour de France in our basements...but it seems like most of us are just fat and lazy. Clothing styles cater to people who are, to be candid, too fat to wear them. There are few things more visually nauseating than a fat woman wearing skin-tight "yoga" pants. Honestly, you should require a permit from the Health Department to wear them.

More and more advertising features fat men and women hawking all sorts of products, including unhealthy food (fast food commercials).

Electric bikes are all the rage, and it's partly because they make it possible for fat, old, and poorly conditioned people to get out and appear to be getting some good exercise. But if you are using the motor, you are doing little more than taking a leisurely walk. I see FB postings all the time of fat bastards bragging about how many miles they covered or how many calories they burned on their e-bikes...are you kidding me? With an electric motor???

It used to be that when you went overseas, the Americans stuck out because they were the fat ones, but that is becoming less and less the case, as the rest of the Western World is catching up (down) to Americans.

There is a political aspect to this, as there is to almost everything. Part of the reason why obesity is "accepted" now is that the Left believes that NOBODY should be made to feel badly about himself for any reason (other than being a Trump supporter). If being fat-shamed makes you feel bad, then the problem is NOT that you are too fucking fat; it's because the person who made the perhaps thoughtless remark was evil.

This is the kind of thing that the First Lady (or the surgeon general) could be working on. Encourage good eating habits, especially among young people, promote healthy exercise, find creative ways to get moving during the bad weather months. Focus on the problem...because it IS a problem.

Ironically, the pharmaceutical industry has played a big part in normalizing obesity. It used to be that if you were "morbidly obese" you wouldn't live very long. Doctors told you in no uncertain terms that you had to lose weight as you got older. But now, they have drugs that can keep you going forever, with blood pressure, heart rate, and blood chemistry under complete control until you are run over by a bus at 93.

I don't know the solution. Basically, I think it's capitalism at work. There are several industries that have profited by making food that PEOPLE LIKE, and people like food that is not good for them. But normalizing obesity is not a good cultural development. Telling people to be proud or satisfied with their appearance when they are fat just because you don't want to hurt their feelings, is counterproductive. Like eating too much candy. Short term benefit, long term harm.
I'm "curvacious". Full bodied.Da knew sexy.

hawtbellycopy.jpg

Of course you didn't notice when she gave up trying to change the food in schools for her "move more" program. This was her rolling over for the meat industry
Michelle Obama cared about childrens health
Our children have poor eating habits and are obese

Melania cared only about her wardrobe

And she knuckled under to the big food corporations.

IDGASFF (I Don't Give A Single Flying Fuck ) about Trump's wife

Who cares except partisan hacks. So have no clue as to what Obama was even supporting, yet you spew nonsense. Tired of your empty BS.

This says it all.
The kids wouldn't eat Michelle's food.
Parents are responsible for what their kids eat.

And she knuckled under to the big food corporations.

IDGASFF (I Don't Give A Single Flying Fuck ) about Trump's wife
rightwinger is so off his rocker, he used a thread about obesity to promote his Democratic Party and caring, when in reality the party doesn't care about nutrition or Obama would have pushed to update and modernize the food pyramid to today's standards and would have pushed Congress to limit the garbage food companies could over process.

People got healthier during the depression eating these foods. Perhaps Michelle should have recommended some of these tasty dishes for the kids.

People got healthier during the depression eating these foods. Perhaps Michelle should have recommended some of these tasty dishes for the kids.

“Sugar sandwiches” and “bacon grease sandwiches” (both in the list in the link you provided) are neither healthy nor tasty.

The Great Depression was a terrible ordeal millions had to endure. It didn’t make people healthier.

“Sugar sandwiches” and “bacon grease sandwiches” (both in the list in the link you provided) are neither healthy nor tasty.

The Great Depression was a terrible ordeal millions had to endure. It didn’t make people healthier.
I remember having sugar sandwiches back in the early 1940's. Yummy!

What also is epidemic is Anorexia media push and push the idea of the perfect body or what we should look like the reason there are more obese people in the USA is the size of the portions we use smaller ones in the UK here in the UK junk food is cheap where veg and fruit can be a lot more, unsure if it is the same in the USA. If you eat junk and don't get off your ass and exercise you gain weight, and other people can be cruel sometimes, I have had issues with food for most of my life due to abuse by family member and made to feel like I am worthless by them, Mental health can also play apart in the size you are, there has always been Anorexia and Obesity and always will be, being kind helps people more than being cruel, self-esteem has a lot to do with it as well. When you are made to feel like crap, you really get depressed and get into a rut you can't seem to get out of.

Mooch completely jacked up school lunches with crap the kids would throw away. That was also typical "Do as I say and not as I do" Liberalspeak. Mooch luvs her some fried food which is why her ass is a yard wide.

It's a positive development not to shame fat people into hating themselves, or bombard young girls with images and messages that drive them into eating disorders, but I really don't need to see quite so many billboards and window displays of 400lb women striking "sexy" poses in bikinis and lingerie. Eeeeeesh.... :aargh:

Parenthetically, my cousin - a first class chef - has been hired by a large school district as the head of food operations (I don't know the exact title). There are fifteen facilities (school buildings) and thirteen kitchens. His mission is to (a) make all food from scratch (used to be buying prepared foods and heating them up), and meet guidelines for nutrition and calorie content. Don't forget, TWO meals per day are now required.

He is spending time in every building, interviewing everyone, including the kids, for their reactions. All reports are that he is kicking ass.

Forum List

Back