The most miserable shot in golf

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
You hit the ball past the green by about 2 yards into some semi tall grass, and below the level of the green. You can see the top of the ball, but the lie is not so good. You're only about 7 yards back to the hole, but now must chip out of the grass onto a green that slopes away from you. The slightest miscalculation and the ball either doesn't make it out of the grass at all, or launches out of the grass, coming to rest 15 yards past the green on the other side. I've only had about a dozen of these in my time, but they suck.

You hit the ball past the green by about 2 yards into some semi tall grass, and below the level of the green. You can see the top of the ball, but the lie is not so good. You're only about 7 yards back to the hole, but now must chip out of the grass onto a green that slopes away from you. The slightest miscalculation and the ball either doesn't make it out of the grass at all, or launches out of the grass, coming to rest 15 yards past the green on the other side. I've only had about a dozen of these in my time, but they suck.
Yes those do suck, especially in thick grass... but I’d say downhill back bunker shots and 30 yarders from wood chips would be my least two favorite shots to take in Golf.

fan the blade open and get the club under the ball and what ya get is what ya get.

fan the blade open and get the club under the ball and what ya get is what ya get.
Generally I’d agree but in the thick grass you risk swiping all the way under the ball if you open the face too much and then you come up short or catch some ball and knock it across the green. I tend to slightly open the face and take a shorter back swing making sure to accelerate through the ball while keeping my hands forward. Almost hit it like a putt. It’s a safe way to chip, just gotta clip it right and get the ball to land on the fringe

Last edited:

Forum List

Back