The moderators here have done a kick-ass job lately....I commend you all for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most messageboards I have been involved with provide a link when a thread is closed because of duplicate threads. Funny, doesn't happen here when the thread casts Trump in a negative light. I think the moderators suck ass. And deleting posts because they are off topic, evidently calling someone a dumbass is on topic in this fubared forum. This place is a damn echo chamber, and the average intelligence of posters here has to be somewhere around that of, well it's right after Thanksgiving, TURKEY. And turkeys can drown in a rainstorm.

You know, I've often wondered the same thing......................if a mod closes a thread for being a duplicate, why can't they post a link in their closing post that shows where the other thread is?
Because.

Because isn't much of an answer, and it wouldn't take much to put in a link to the thread that someone made a duplicate of. Matter of fact, it would probably clean up a lot on these boards.
Posters who don't look around for other threads with the same topic will just keep posting topics that are duplicates, knowing that a mod
will do their due diligence for them. I have better things to do like insult someone as a poster than have to do the work of another poster.

Not for nothing, but whenever I've seen a thread closed and called a duplicate, that means that the mod that closed it knows where the other threads are. If you posted a link to the other thread after closing it, it would eliminate a lot of perception of bias.
And. it would take our time to go find it. Give me a break, dude.
Do it yourself. Your buddy Al Franken said it all right here, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."
I'll like you if you do it yourself.

WTF you mean it would take your time to go find it? If you close a thread because of a duplicate thread, do you not know that there is a duplicate thread, or is that the excuse you assholes use to close threads you don't like. Wow, I am starting to get the real picture now.

Most messageboards I have been involved with provide a link when a thread is closed because of duplicate threads. Funny, doesn't happen here when the thread casts Trump in a negative light. I think the moderators suck ass. And deleting posts because they are off topic, evidently calling someone a dumbass is on topic in this fubared forum. This place is a damn echo chamber, and the average intelligence of posters here has to be somewhere around that of, well it's right after Thanksgiving, TURKEY. And turkeys can drown in a rainstorm.

You know, I've often wondered the same thing......................if a mod closes a thread for being a duplicate, why can't they post a link in their closing post that shows where the other thread is?
Because.

You expect us to just take your word for it? You are a Party of the rumper. You demand that WE give cites now we are doing the same to you. Of course, you may just demand a recount.
As long as you're insulting, why don't you liberals do your own work and not expect someone to do it for you? ls it because you're a lazy ass?

Typical idiot Trumpster. This ain't about the poster that started the thread, or his due diligence. This is about the people that wanted to contribute to the thread and found it closed. You could really improve discussion by providing a link. Dumbass.
Lazy ass, just go look for the thread that's still open and post in that one. Or, is that too much for you to do? Above your pay grade?
idiot

Look, I am going to try to explain this again. This is not about the person starting the thread. Hell, I don't even know if I have ever started a damn thread. This is about posters entering a thread and finding it closed because of a duplicate thread. Where is the other thread? The title might be different, it might have dropped down on the board. I want to enter this discussion, where is the thread. Oh great, now I got to look for it. How long does that take, as opposed to how long it would take a moderator, who knows of the duplicate thread, to post a GOD DAMN LINK? Like I said, every other messageboard I have ever posted on had that COMMON FUCKING DECENCY. If you want to explain something, explain me why that is the case. The only reason I can come up with is sheer fawking laziness.
Not going to happen, Sluggo. Looks like you're just going to have to deal with it, and maybe, just maybe you'll have to repeat what you wrote in
in the previous thread you posted in.

Well I guess I can copy and paste. Too bad you don't know how to do that.
Just remember, it's not a job, it's a volunteer position, with emphasis on volunteer.

Because.

You expect us to just take your word for it? You are a Party of the rumper. You demand that WE give cites now we are doing the same to you. Of course, you may just demand a recount.
As long as you're insulting, why don't you liberals do your own work and not expect someone to do it for you? ls it because you're a lazy ass?

Typical idiot Trumpster. This ain't about the poster that started the thread, or his due diligence. This is about the people that wanted to contribute to the thread and found it closed. You could really improve discussion by providing a link. Dumbass.
Lazy ass, just go look for the thread that's still open and post in that one. Or, is that too much for you to do? Above your pay grade?
idiot

Look, I am going to try to explain this again. This is not about the person starting the thread. Hell, I don't even know if I have ever started a damn thread. This is about posters entering a thread and finding it closed because of a duplicate thread. Where is the other thread? The title might be different, it might have dropped down on the board. I want to enter this discussion, where is the thread. Oh great, now I got to look for it. How long does that take, as opposed to how long it would take a moderator, who knows of the duplicate thread, to post a GOD DAMN LINK? Like I said, every other messageboard I have ever posted on had that COMMON FUCKING DECENCY. If you want to explain something, explain me why that is the case. The only reason I can come up with is sheer fawking laziness.
Not going to happen, Sluggo. Looks like you're just going to have to deal with it, and maybe, just maybe you'll have to repeat what you wrote in

Just remember, it's not a job, it's a volunteer position, with emphasis on volunteer.

So is reporting threads for us mere "members". None of us are getting paid. It's not a members job to do YOUR job and report threads and posts that violate the rules.

So you really don't want to go there.

Because.

Because isn't much of an answer, and it wouldn't take much to put in a link to the thread that someone made a duplicate of. Matter of fact, it would probably clean up a lot on these boards.
Posters who don't look around for other threads with the same topic will just keep posting topics that are duplicates, knowing that a mod
will do their due diligence for them. I have better things to do like insult someone as a poster than have to do the work of another poster.

On one hand, you have a moderator, who closes a thread because it is a duplicate. The moderator knows of the duplicate thread, so why can't he post a link? Instead, what you are asking is that every poster go through, what, two, three pages of threads, before they even post a thread, just to make sure someone has not already posted it? Besides, you are not posting the link of the duplicate thread for the poster that started the thread, you are posting it for the members that have entered the thread and perhaps might like to join the conversation. Now they have to wade through, what, three pages of topics to find the thread that is the duplicate just to join the conversation they initially were interested in?

You starting to see the tradeoff here. What does it take, ten seconds to copy and paste a damn link? One moderator, ten seconds. As opposed to dozens of individuals scouring the forum to find the duplicate thread, for what, two minutes each. now we are talking about significant minutes, maybe even hours, in total time. And all could be avoided by ten seconds of, quite honestly, what is COMMON DECENCY.

I would say something about utilitarianism at this point but that shit is way over the head of an ignorant ass like you. And even the bit about common decency is not going to make an impact on someone with their head so far up their ass they can't see the sun shine. This messageboard is a shit show, and when a moderator talks about insulting posters it is pretty easy to see why.
Oh c'mon. When you start a thread, check the What's New first page, the New Threads list on the right, and maybe the first page of whatever forum you want to post in. Takes all of two minutes and saves everyone a lot of aggravation. I've been in some discussions of Big News when there are four or five threads going on the same thing. Of course, everyone ends up arguing the same things, and you have to keep repeating yourself over and over, remember which thread you said it in, etc. Merging threads after the fact make them confusing to read. Two minutes of your time isn't such a terrible thing to ask.

Better idea: After looking over new topics and latest discussions (assuming the topic is something that just came out), TRY DOING A SIMPLE SEARCH ON A COUPLE OF KEYWORDS which are imminently germane to the story or topic you plan to discuss!

Works 99% of the time.

That is, for those of us who graduated high school.

Because.

Not for nothing, but whenever I've seen a thread closed and called a duplicate, that means that the mod that closed it knows where the other threads are. If you posted a link to the other thread after closing it, it would eliminate a lot of perception of bias.
And. it would take our time to go find it. Give me a break, dude.
Do it yourself. Your buddy Al Franken said it all right here, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."
I'll like you if you do it yourself.

WTF you mean it would take your time to go find it? If you close a thread because of a duplicate thread, do you not know that there is a duplicate thread, or is that the excuse you assholes use to close threads you don't like. Wow, I am starting to get the real picture now.
Perhaps, we saw it hours before, perhaps it's in another forum on the board. I really don't have the time to
go search it for you. I will say that if the other thread is in the taunting area, we would rarely close the duplicate
thread that isn't in the taunting area.
As far as being biased as to a closing, that's a cop out, we don't pick and choose on duplicates, so stop with that nonsense.
If we see it, it's handled, and if someone flags it, it's handled. I'm starting to get the real picture with you now.

Because.

idiot

So is reporting threads for us mere "members". None of us are getting paid. It's not a members job to do YOUR job and report threads and posts that violate the rules.

With all the threads, and all the posts, do you think that we read everything? Is that what you really think? :rolleyes-41:
If you don't want to report any posts, it's not required, and it's not required that mods, who are posters read every post.
Get real, okay?

I will admit that once I checked carefully, labored on an OP and submitted it--at the same time as another poster submitted one. So I asked a mod to merge mine in with his, before it started getting hard to do.

Because.

idiot

He's got a point on that one. Not being too lazy to avoid opening a dupe thread, but you mods just putting the link to the open thread in the last post before closing it. You don't have to go looking for anything because how would you know it was a dupe if you hadn't seen the open one? You wouldn't. So link the open one. Is that hard?
How about you coming on staff, and deal with the flagged posts and then go looking for the links to closed threads, Oldlady? You can take my place and do it right.
You make it sound so simple.

Because.

idiot

With all the threads, and all the posts, do you think that we read everything? Is that what you really think? :rolleyes-41:
If you don't want to report any posts, it's not required, and it's not required that mods, who are posters read every post.
Get real, okay?

How would you know its a dupe if you didn't read the dupe? So the thread is already open and all you have to do is copy and paste. I can do that in about 5 seconds.

Quit being so fucking lazy. You accepted the job as unpaid moderator. Don't use the "unpaid" part to justify not doing your fucking job. You knew it was unpaid and you accepted it anyway. Do your fucking job.

Last edited:
I will admit that once I checked carefully, labored on an OP and submitted it--at the same time as another poster submitted one. So I asked a mod to merge mine in with his, before it started getting hard to do.

Because.

idiot

He's got a point on that one. Not being too lazy to avoid opening a dupe thread, but you mods just putting the link to the open thread in the last post before closing it. You don't have to go looking for anything because how would you know it was a dupe if you hadn't seen the open one? You wouldn't. So link the open one. Is that hard?
How about you coming on staff, and deal with the flagged posts and then go looking for the links to closed threads, Oldlady? You can take my place and do it right.
It was just a question, Grumpy, and I took the question down when I saw that you answered it. So stfu.

Because.

idiot

REAL CRAZY IDEA:
  • 1/3rd of the time, the threads get merged and VOILA! You are already there! You can put away the razor blades.
  • 1/3rd of the time, the other thread(s) are OBVIOUS, right there on the New Topics column where you found the first thread. You can save the rusty razor blades for another time.
  • 1/3rd of the time, the thread just got closed, the open thread isn't obvious and you have to look for the other thread if you really want to. Try entering 1-2 keywords in SEARCH. This will almost always find you the other thread! If not, well, you still have your razor blades. I hear Gillette makes a good one.
Now you can either slit your wrists, wail and moan blaming others for your lot in life, or glow a pair, put your big boy pants on and actually lift a finger to help yourself.

I can't tell you how many times I spent ten minutes writing a great post somewhere only to find that when I went to post it, THE THREAD WAS NOW CLOSED TO FURTHER DISCUSSION! Probably 9 out of 10 times, in ten seconds, I found a similar relevant thread to stick it into.

I think if USMB ever got to where there was genuinely only ONE thread dedicated per topic on everything, the server might blow up from lack of load. :smoke:

Because.

idiot

REAL CRAZY IDEA:
  • 1/3rd of the time, the threads get merged and VOILA! You are already there! You can put away the razor blades.
  • 1/3rd of the time, the other thread(s) are OBVIOUS, right there on the New Topics column where you found the first thread. You can save the rusty razor blades for another time.
  • 1/3rd of the time, the thread just got closed, the open thread isn't obvious and you have to look for the other thread if you really want to. Try entering 1-2 keywords in SEARCH. This will almost always find you the other thread! If not, well, you still have your razor blades. I hear Gillette makes a good one.
Now you can either slit your wrists, wail and moan blaming others for your lot in life, or glow a pair, put your big boy pants on and actually lift a finger to help yourself.

I can't tell you how many times I spent ten minutes writing a great post somewhere only to find that when I went to post it, THE THREAD WAS NOW CLOSED TO FURTHER DISCUSSION! Probably 9 out of 10 times, in ten seconds, I found a similar relevant thread to stick it into.

I think if USMB ever got to where there was genuinely only ONE thread dedicated per topic on everything, the server might blow up from lack of load. :smoke:

As was already stated, the search function is useless when thread titles like "This is bad news for Trump" which can be ANYTHING, is allowed to stay and a thread after that has a totally different title like "Trump lawsuit in Pennsylvania thrown out" is created and locked because "This is bad news for Trump" is ABOUT the same thing, but isn't titled even CLOSE to the same way.

Because.

idiot

REAL CRAZY IDEA:

As was already stated, the search function is useless when thread titles like "This is bad news for Trump" which can be ANYTHING, is allowed to stay and a thread after that has a totally different title like "Trump lawsuit in Pennsylvania thrown out" is created and locked because "This is bad news for Trump" is ABOUT the same thing, but isn't titled even CLOSE to the same way.

Nondescript thread titles like "This is bad news for Trump" violate forum guidelines. Ever who created the thread already screwed up. That thread should be closed. So again, if you pick a couple keywords which are SPECIFIC to the DISCUSSION rather than just the OP Title, the Search does work.

Because.

idiot

REAL CRAZY IDEA:

Nondescript thread titles like "This is bad news for Trump" violate forum guidelines. Ever who created the thread already screwed up. That thread should be closed. So again, if you pick a couple keywords which are SPECIFIC to the DISCUSSION rather than just the OP Title, the Search does work.

It SHOULD work but it doesn't always. Here is an example:

How is someone supposed to know that "This is war" is about Sidney Powell?

Because.

idiot

REAL CRAZY IDEA:

Are you interested in discussions of war or discussions on Sidney? Then you should probably do your search on her name instead. Easy Peazy.

Works 99% of the time for me. BUT GUESS WHAT: there are no guarantees or perfect solutions in life.

I just hang on tight and HOPE FOR THE BEST. :smoke:

Because.

idiot

REAL CRAZY IDEA:

Are you interested in discussions of war or discussions on Sidney? Then you should probably do your search on her name instead. Easy Peazy.

Works 99% of the time for me. BUT GUESS WHAT: there are no guarantees or perfect solutions in life.

I just hang on tight and HOPE FOR THE BEST. :smoke:

It's not easy at all. Do a search for "Sidney Powell" on this forum and you'll get thousands of responses as her name has been mentioned in dozens of threads and thousands of replies.

Because.

Typical idiot Trumpster. This ain't about the poster that started the thread, or his due diligence. This is about the people that wanted to contribute to the thread and found it closed. You could really improve discussion by providing a link. Dumbass. Stat that to someone's face pusst
idiot

It is certainly above YOUR paygrade.
Well, seeing how we don't get paid, you may be on to something. Anything is above $0.00 :auiqs.jpg:

Right now, you are severely over paid.

Because.

idiot

It is certainly above YOUR paygrade.
Well, seeing how we don't get paid, you may be on to something. Anything is above $0.00 :auiqs.jpg:

Right now, you are severely over paid.
Oh boy, you got me good, man. Now place your posts in the proper threads, do YOUR homework.

Because.

Because.

idiot

It was just a question, Grumpy, and I took the question down when I saw that you answered it. So stfu.
No, you go fuck yourself! You said it, and I'm offering to step down and you fill my shoes. It's easy peasy, remember?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back