The "Make Billionaires Pay Act" by Crazy Bernie & Gruesome Gillibrand imposes a one-time 60% tax on wealth gains made by billionaires during corona

He pays significantly less today than he did in 2015.

What was his income in 2015? What is his income today?
Don't you know?

You made a claim......you don't know?
Who cares. Look at all this defense you put up when we discuss taxing billionaires more. I just pointed out that 3 out of 4 billionaires have seen their fortunes skyrocket since Corona. We claimed even before corona their unchecked wealth and power over our government was a problem even before this. And Trump gave them tax breaks in 2018? Totally unnecessary. It's as if you want the government to go bankrupt. How will that help you anarchists?

Who cares.

You were the one whining about his lower payment today, apparently you care.

I just pointed out that 3 out of 4 billionaires have seen their fortunes skyrocket since Corona.

Who cares? They own stocks, stocks have mostly gone up.

We claimed even before corona their unchecked wealth and power over our government was a problem even before this.

Yes, your constant push for reducing the size and scope of government was refreshing.

And Trump gave them tax breaks in 2018?

Me too.

Stocks have gone up for one reason. Billions interjected
Here’s how much these billionaires would pay under Sen. Bernie Sanders’ proposed “Make Billionaires Pay Act”:
-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Stop saying “we can’t afford” Homes for All, Green New Deal or Medicare for All.

If we didn't spend trillions on endless wars and tax breaks for millionaires, we could afford to house our homeless, care for our seniors, and save our planet.

We suffer from greed, not scarcity

Roughly 3 out of 4 American billionaires have seen a rise in their net worths. Elon Musk alone has tripled his net worth during the pandemic.

So you are crying about taxing Elon Musk 27 billion? Are you retarded?

I'm a fan of Tesla but has Musk made a profit on anything yet?
Elon has tripled his net worth since Corona. TRIPLED. Wake up middle class Americ

You're fighting us liberals meanwhile the billionaires are WINNING.

Citizens United is another bad move towards the rich controlling our government with their influence. No one can defend this can they?
Apparently, Elon is a better salesman than you.
And Billionaires should be taxed more. I don't even think they care. Only you right wing cons want to protect/defend their fortunes. Even when that means eventually they'll have to raise your taxes and cut your social security/Medicare.
I like Bernie Sanders plan...
Tax business at 75% if they off-shore and/or use Business Visas.
Do you agree?
Yes

No. Typical lefty, taxation as punishment, not taxation as a funding source.
Business entities that contribute to US unemployment should be punished.

What about a government that contributes to unemployment by continuing to allow low skilled labor to flood the market?
They need to go after the illegal employers. The people hiring the illegal workers. Going after illegal workers won't work if companies aren't afraid to hire them they'll just keep on coming wall or no wall.

go after the supply and the demand. but going after the employers to a degree of putting them out of business stops them from employing anyone, so it makes more sense to go after the supply

How's that working?

Don't know, we really haven't tried it full blast.

And why is that?

Here’s how much these billionaires would pay under Sen. Bernie Sanders’ proposed “Make Billionaires Pay Act”:
-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Stop saying “we can’t afford” Homes for All, Green New Deal or Medicare for All.

If we didn't spend trillions on endless wars and tax breaks for millionaires, we could afford to house our homeless, care for our seniors, and save our planet.

Roughly 3 out of 4 American billionaires have seen a rise in their net worths. Elon Musk alone has tripled his net worth during the pandemic.

Elon has tripled his net worth since Corona. TRIPLED. Wake up middle class Americ

Citizens United is another bad move towards the rich controlling our government with their influence. No one can defend this can they?
And Billionaires should be taxed more. I don't even think they care. Only you right wing cons want to protect/defend their fortunes. Even when that means eventually they'll have to raise your taxes and cut your social security/Medicare.
Do you agree?
Yes

What about a government that contributes to unemployment by continuing to allow low skilled labor to flood the market?
They need to go after the illegal employers. The people hiring the illegal workers. Going after illegal workers won't work if companies aren't afraid to hire them they'll just keep on coming wall or no wall.

go after the supply and the demand. but going after the employers to a degree of putting them out of business stops them from employing anyone, so it makes more sense to go after the supply
A few years ago I had a long conversation with a local caterer who owns a pizza store; he pays all of his workers $15.00/hour.
He commented to me that he is amazed that a small business owner can own a 2 million dollar home, 4 SUVs and take 3 vacations a year to Europe.
He said the problem is not paying workers a decent wage but the egos of business people and compliant lenders.
Many business owners love to gloat their success over their slave labor and show off assets that they haven't really earned.

This, of course, almost always results in a market crash when enough people can't pay back their loans.
I hate to say it, but as long as Small Business Authorities own their local politicians, the trespasser problem will never truly be resolved.

And yes, MNCs should have their asses taxed into oblivion when they hand legislation over to their Congress critters to send careers and jobs overseas and bring in supposedly "skilled" foreign cheap labor to render US citizens unemployed.

Meanwhile since this attitude (started with Reagan) our infrastructure is crumbling.

Which crumbling infrastructure should the feds repair, which should state and local governments fix?
States used to get money from the Federal Government to help with infrastructure. But instead billionaires don't pay taxes anymore so now it's up to the people (you and me) to pay more taxes to fund the infrastructure.

So they shifted the tax burden from Musk to you, stupid.

States used to get money from the Federal Government to help with infrastructure.

Any specifics? All infrastructure?
A portion of the money? All of it?

So they shifted the tax burden from Musk to you

Musk doesn't pay taxes? Never ever?
He pays significantly less today than he did in 2015. Not enough. Clearly look at the debt.
Bezos has contributed to US and Global employment.
I don't give a fuck. That's just the right wing argument for why billionaires don't pay their fair share of taxes. I know you think they pay "plenty" of taxes. And they pay more taxes in a day than I will in a lifetime. So what? We need it.

After the Republican Great Depression, FDR put this nation back to work, in part by raising taxes on income above $3 to $4 million a year (in today's dollars) to 91 percent, and corporate taxes to over 50% of profits. The revenue from those income taxes built dams, roads, bridges, sewers, water systems, schools, hospitals, train stations, railways, an interstate highway system, and airports. It educated a generation returning from World War II. It acted as a cap on the rare but occasional obsessively greedy person taking so much out of the economy that it impoverished the rest of us.

Through the 1950s, though, more and more loopholes for the rich were built into the tax code, so much so that JFK observed in his second debate with Richard Nixon that dropping the top tax rate to 70% but tightening up the loopholes would actually be a tax increase.

JFK pushed through that tax increase to take us back toward FDR/Truman/Eisenhower revenue levels, and we continued to build infrastructure in the US, and even put men on the moon. Health care and college were cheap and widely available. Working people could raise a family and have security in their old age. Every billion dollars (a half-week in Iraq) invested in infrastructure in America created 47,000 good-paying jobs as Americans built America.

But the rich fought back, and won big-time in 1980 when Reagan, until then the fringe "Voodoo economics" candidate who was heading into the election trailing far behind Jimmy Carter, was swept into the White House on a wave of public concern of the Iranians taking US hostages. Reagan promptly cut income taxes on the very rich from 70% down to 27%. Corporate tax rates were also cut so severely that they went from representing over 33% of total federal tax receipts in 1951 to less than 9% in 1983 (they're still in that neighborhood, the lowest in the industrialized world).

The result was devastating. Our government was suddenly so badly awash in red ink that Reagan doubled the tax paid only by people earning less than $40,000/year (FICA), and then began borrowing from the huge surplus this new tax was accumulating in the Social Security Trust Fund. Even with that, Reagan had to borrow more money in his 8 years than the sum total of all presidents from George Washington to Jimmy Carter combined.

In addition to badly throwing the nation into debt, Reagan's tax cut blew out the ceiling on the accumulation of wealth, leading to a new Gilded Age and the rise of a generation of super-wealthy that hadn't been seen since the Robber Baron era of the 1890s or the Roaring 20s.

And, most tragically, Reagan's tax cuts caused America to stop investing in infrastructure.

The result was devastating. Our government was suddenly so badly awash in red ink that Reagan doubled the tax paid only by people earning less than $40,000/year (FICA),

Bullshit. Reagan didn't double the FICA tax.

and then began borrowing from the huge surplus this new tax was accumulating in the Social Security Trust Fund.

Geez, I thought Hartmann was a moron, thanks for posting the proof.
Before Reagan, what was the Trust Fund invested in? DURR
Who's lying you or Hartmann?

The Economic Recovery Act of 1981, also known as the Reagan tax cuts, was the biggest reduction in U.S. taxes of the past 70 years, possibly even the biggest ever. 1 That much is reasonably well-known.

What is less well-known is that these cuts were then followed by a series of tax increases that, if you add them all together, were almost as big as or even bigger than the 1981 cuts, depending on the measure you use.

I could either take your word for it or these sources. You've provided nothing.

The 1980s tax increases are less well-known, in part because they didn't involve increases in individual income tax rates. The biggest, the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982, increased revenue mainly by tightening up rules on depreciation, leasing, contract accounting and investment tax credits. The Social Security Amendments of 1983 sped up planned increases in payroll tax rates, among other things. The Deficit Reduction Act of 1984 changed rules on interest exclusions, income averaging and such. The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987 closed a few loopholes and extended a telephone excise tax. And the Tax Reform Act of 1986, while it lowered the top individual income tax rate to 28 percent from 50 percent, contained enough offsetting changes that, for the first two years after enactment, it raised tax revenue.

Who's lying you or Hartmann?

Hartmann.

Thanks for the link.

Was it supposed to prove Reagan doubled FICA? Or that he didn't?
Or that Reagan was the first to "borrow from the Trust Fund"?
All that. It proves Reagan was no good for middle class Americans.
The issue with Reagan was not necessarily taxes, but opening our borders and not giving a damn that professionals being paid a modest wage (<80K/Year) were being forced to work 100+ hours a week.
I remember local stores in Downtown NYC going out of business because people working in finance were not allowed to go out for lunch and co-workers getting divorced left and right because the Board of Directors would make people work 16 hours a day.
Some people like this situation, many don't.

Don't you know?

Who cares. Look at all this defense you put up when we discuss taxing billionaires more. I just pointed out that 3 out of 4 billionaires have seen their fortunes skyrocket since Corona. We claimed even before corona their unchecked wealth and power over our government was a problem even before this. And Trump gave them tax breaks in 2018? Totally unnecessary. It's as if you want the government to go bankrupt. How will that help you anarchists?

Who cares.

I just pointed out that 3 out of 4 billionaires have seen their fortunes skyrocket since Corona.

We claimed even before corona their unchecked wealth and power over our government was a problem even before this.

Yes, your constant push for reducing the size and scope of government was refreshing.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

That’s whats cons always say. We didn’t lower taxes enough or deregulate enough. Yea, that’s the problem. Lol

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

That’s whats cons always say. We didn’t lower taxes enough or deregulate enough. Yea, that’s the problem. Lol
I also think we need to take into consideration the MNCs that lobby.
But politics is an all life consuming profession and politicians want the money.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Raise the minimum wage enough so even the poor can afford to pay their share of taxes so we can cut the expense of social services. The Rich are welcome to find a way to get richer regardless.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Lawsuits to stop ICE from doing it's job. Lack of will from certain lifelong anti-trump people in Justice. Localities that don't enforce any immigration laws or federal requests.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Lawsuits to stop ICE from doing it's job. Lack of will from certain lifelong anti-trump people in Justice. Localities that don't enforce any immigration laws or federal requests.

Nobody can stop ICE from doing it's job. Localities can not enforce immigration but you know this.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

You mean places like Iowa?

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Let's look at this.

This individual has worked at our farms for four years, was vetted through the government's E-Verify system, and was an employee in good standing. On Monday, the authorities visited our farm and talked to our employees. We have cooperated fully with their investigation.

Man charged in Tibbetts' death worked at Iowa farm linked to prominent Republican

UPDATE: The employers of the suspect in an Iowa college student’s death say he presented false identification when he came to work for them. Correcting information given Tuesday, manager Dane Lang said Yarrabee Farms did not use the government’s E-Verify system to check the immigration status of Cristhian Bahena Rivera, who presented an out-of-state ID card and Social Security number when he applied for work four years ago.

Employers: Slaying suspect lied about ID

This business knew he was here illegally and initially lied about it. Without the job he has no reason to come here.

I can't find anything about an investigation of this business about their lies and how many other illegals they are employing.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Nobody can stop ICE from doing it's job. Localities can not enforce immigration but you know this.

Bullshit. Locals try to subvert ICE all the time, ignoring retainers, not reporting when they arrest illegals.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Wow, you did all that digging to get one "Brother of Republican bad" article.

Sad.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Bullshit. Locals try to subvert ICE all the time, ignoring retainers, not reporting when they arrest illegals.

Local governments used to report illegals. What would happen is that they would not get picked up and the federal government wanted them to hold them. States and local authorities said screw that, we can't afford it and quit doing it.

The federal government has no desire to control immigration. You know that.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Let's look at this.

This individual has worked at our farms for four years, was vetted through the government's E-Verify system, and was an employee in good standing. On Monday, the authorities visited our farm and talked to our employees. We have cooperated fully with their investigation.

Man charged in Tibbetts' death worked at Iowa farm linked to prominent Republican

UPDATE: The employers of the suspect in an Iowa college student’s death say he presented false identification when he came to work for them. Correcting information given Tuesday, manager Dane Lang said Yarrabee Farms did not use the government’s E-Verify system to check the immigration status of Cristhian Bahena Rivera, who presented an out-of-state ID card and Social Security number when he applied for work four years ago.

This business knew he was here illegally and initially lied about it. Without the job he has no reason to come here.

I can't find anything about an investigation of this business about their lies and how many other illegals they are employing.

So close down the business? Put the owner in jail?

Really great idea SJW soi boi and your soi boi butt buddy Sealy.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Wow, you did all that digging to get one "Brother of Republican bad" article.

Sad.

The entire dairy industry and run by and large with illegal labor. The government knows there. There is even a documentary on it.

Wisconsin's dairy industry would collapse without the work of Latino immigrants — many of them undocumented

This isn't the documentary but it's hardly a secret. The federal government knows this. What are they doing about it? Absolutely nothing.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Let's look at this.

Do it. I'm all for it. I fully support the federal government hammering businesses that hire illegals hard. I also know it isn't going to happen.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Let's look at this.

You buy that? Of course you do you corporate apologist. All they have to say is "They gave me fake ID" and you give them a pass? Fuck that. They know. And so do you. Fucking fools.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Let's look at this.

Yes, fine them so heavily no other company would dare hire illegals.

This is why we're never going to solve the illegal employer problem we have and Republicans don't want to because a lot of corporations that hire illegals are run by Republicans who donate to Republican politicians.

If you read the op ed I posted Thom puts blame on both parties. I know you guys never accept full responsibility for anything but maybe you'll admit both parties are to blame? Nah. We know you won't ever do that. And you can't ever get yourselves to blame or punish corporations no matter what they do.

Don't you know?

Who cares.

Me too.

-Jeff Bezos $42.8B
-Elon Musk $27.5B
-Mark Zuckerberg $22.8B

Do you agree?
Yes

How's that working?

And why is that?

Let's look at this.

You buy that? Of course you do you corporate apologist. All they have to say is "They gave me fake ID" and you give them a pass? Fuck that. They know. And so do you. Fucking fools.

You may be the most incompetent poster on here where it comes to reading someone's post.

Republicans would prefer that the "criminals" covered in the press are working people, and that corporate and CEO criminals not get discussed.

Encouraging a rapid increase in the workforce by encouraging companies to hire non-citizens is one of the three most potent tools conservatives since Ronald Reagan have used to convert the American middle class into the American working poor. (The other two are destroying the governmental protections that keep labor unions viable, and ending tariffs while promoting trade deals like NAFTA/WTO/GATT that export manufacturing jobs.)

Thus, Americans are concerned that a "flood of illegal immigrants" coming primarily across our southern border is, to paraphrase Lou Dobbs, "wiping out the American middle class." And there is considerable truth to it, as part of the three-part campaign mentioned earlier.

But Dobbs and his fellow Republicans say the solution is to "secure our border" with a fence like that used by East Germany, but that stretches a distance about the same as that from Washington, DC to Chicago. It'll be a multi-billion-dollar boon to Halliburton and Bechtel, who will undoubtedly get the construction and maintenance contracts, but it won't stop illegal immigration. (Instead, people will legally come in on tourist and other visas, and not leave when their visas expire.)

The fact is that we had an open border with Mexico for several centuries, and "illegal immigration" was never a serious problem. Before Reagan's presidency, an estimated million or so people a year came into the US from Mexico - and the same number, more or less, left the US for Mexico at the end of the agricultural harvest season. Very few stayed, because there weren't jobs for them.

Non-citizens didn't have access to the non-agricultural US job market, in large part because of the power of US labor unions (before Reagan 25% of the workforce was unionized; today the private workforce is about 7% unionized), and because companies were unwilling to risk having non-tax-deductible labor expenses on their books by hiring undocumented workers without valid Social Security numbers.

But Reagan put an end to that. His 1986 amnesty program, combined with his aggressive war on organized labor (begun in 1981), in effect told both employers and non-citizens that there would be few penalties and many rewards to increasing the US labor pool (and thus driving down wages) with undocumented immigrants. A million people a year continued to come across our southern border, but they stopped returning to Latin America every fall because instead of seasonal work they were able to find permanent jobs.

The magnet drawing them? Illegal Employers.

Yet in the American media, Illegal Employers are almost never mentioned.

Forum List

Back