The Liberal Assault on Merit

Oh. I see.

You don't want to debate.

You don't want to understand the oppositions position.

You just want to act like an ass.

Never mind. No interest in your spin and hyperbole. Forget I even responded to you.

When someone says:

To me, being broke and with no one to lean on was the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

and uses that as an argument to deny help to the poor, I don't think my simply showing that person what that means in real life is any sort of an exaggeration.
Why is it you libs insist that OTHERS help the poor?
Deny help to the poor?
What the fuck are talking about... nearly a third of the federal budget is spent on the poor.

Goddam I wish at least some of you RWnuts could read.

The question will surely break down along the usual lines: Liberals, equality of numbers is the only consideration.

Normal folks: merit should be rewarded.

Who determines "merit"? That's a massive gray area that conservatards will undoubtedly exploit ceaselessly as they continue to oppress womyn and minorities by whatever means necessary.

Numbers don't lie. Only numbers matter. Are you saying that statistics are wrong? Or merely that they're right, but you refuse to acknowledge this fact in public because it disagrees with your antiquated world view?

I'm sorry...were you actually attempting to stumble upon a POINT in that directionless babble? Or was it just your usual: the text equivalent of what pigeons do on a parked car.

No they can't, and why should they have to? It's a public school; your ability to succeed is supposed to be equality of opportunity isn't it?

Isn't public school supposed to offer equal opportunity regardless of one's ability to pay?

No, succeeding involves effort and intelligence, might have heard of it, merit.

Okay, you oppose equal opportunity. I don't.

Which of us do the rest of you agree with?

Are you for equal opportunity, as I am, or against equal opportunity, as this saveliberty person is?

Please state your opinion.

You despise equal opportunity...rather, you demand equal OUTCOME.

And you are either too brainwashed or too stupid to realize that you do so.

For those who believed in authorizing a new class in America, based on skin color, this post will .....what's that Liberal term....oh...."offend."

1. "The Plot Against Merit....Seeking racial balance, liberal advocates want to water down admissions standards at New York’s elite high schools.

2. In 2004, seven-year-old Ting Shi arrived in New York from China, speaking almost no English... he shared a bedroom in a Chinatown apartment with his grandparents—a cook and a factory worker—and a young cousin, while his parents put in 12-hour days at a small Laundromat they had purchased on the Upper East Side. Ting mastered English and eventually set his sights on getting into Stuyvesant High School, the crown jewel of New York City’s eight “specialized high schools.”

3. [Ting bought] prep books for its eighth-grade entrance exam....prepared for the test over the next two years, working through the prep books and taking classes at one of the city’s free tutoring programs. His acceptance into Stuyvesant prompted a day of celebration at the Laundromat—an immigrant family’s dream beginning to come true. Ting, now a 17-year-old senior starting at NYU in the fall, says of his parents, who never went to college: “They came here for the next generation.”

4. New York’s specialized high schools, including Stuyvesant and the equally storied Bronx High School of Science, along with Brooklyn Technical High School and five smaller schools, have produced 14 Nobel Laureates—more than most countries. For more than 70 years, admission to these schools has been based upon a competitive examination of math, verbal, and logical reasoning skills.

5. ...troubled by declining black and Hispanic enrollment at the schools, opponents of the exam have resurfaced. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund has filed a civil rights complaint challenging the admissions process. A bill in Albany to eliminate the test requirement has garnered the support...[and] new New York City mayor Bill de Blasio, whose son, Dante, attends Brooklyn Tech, has called for changing the admissions criteria. The mayor argues that relying solely on the test creates a “rich-get-richer” dynamic that benefits the wealthy, who can afford expensive test preparation.

As Ting’s story illustrates, however, the reality is just the opposite.

6. In 1971, the board of Community School District 3, then a predominantly black and Puerto Rican district on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, charged that Bronx Science was, as characterized by the New York Times, “a privileged educational center for children of the white middle class because ‘culturally’ oriented examinations worked to ‘screen out’ black and Puerto Rican students.” .... the board criticized the exam for being “heavily loaded with ‘intelligence test’ approaches” and proposed that students should instead be admitted solely based on recommendations.

7. ....a 1997 report by the radical Acorn group assailing racial imbalance at Stuyvesant and Bronx Science.
But strikingly, the Acorn report focused less on the entrance exam and merit selection than on improved preparation of minority students.... Acorn made this focus more explicit: “The question is not whether the entrance exam is unfair. The question is why students who attend public elementary and middle schools for eight or nine years are so unprepared to do well when they take it.”
The Plot Against Merit by Dennis Saffran, City Journal Summer 2014

The question will surely break down along the usual lines: Liberals, equality of numbers is the only consideration.

At least we've seen you admit, albeit tacitly, that excellence is in fact possible in the public school system.

Instead of doing everything in your power to destroy the public school system, maybe you conservatives should all concede this fact and put some effort to expanding the excellence within the public school system.

Your missing a bunch of ys LM.

In addition to or in place of, people can learn on their own. A library is a good place to do that. Some people even do that AND have tutors. (Gasp!!!)

If pyyple could truly learn on their own, we wouldn't need public schools, and we wouldn't need tutors. Fact.

The bourgeois scum that can self-teach yet choose to pay for a private tutor anyway are merely flaunting their rich, white-privileged upbringing in the faces of the underclass. It's truly sickening and I'm not sure how you can support it.

It makes me happy you are so full of hate.
It exposes your side's agenda.

I'm not the hateful bigot here. Everyone who wants to continue oppressing womyn, minorities, and the poor is.

Who determines "merit"? That's a massive gray area that conservatards will undoubtedly exploit ceaselessly as they continue to oppress womyn and minorities by whatever means necessary.

Numbers don't lie. Only numbers matter. Are you saying that statistics are wrong? Or merely that they're right, but you refuse to acknowledge this fact in public because it disagrees with your antiquated world view?

I'm sorry...were you actually attempting to stumble upon a POINT in that directionless babble? Or was it just your usual: the text equivalent of what pigeons do on a parked car.

I was having a private conversation with PylytycylChyc, actually. And only PylytycylChyc. Not you.

No, succeeding involves effort and intelligence, might have heard of it, merit.

Okay, you oppose equal opportunity. I don't.

Which of us do the rest of you agree with?

Are you for equal opportunity, as I am, or against equal opportunity, as this saveliberty person is?

Please state your opinion.

You despise equal opportunity...rather, you demand equal OUTCOME.

And you are either too brainwashed or too stupid to realize that you do so.

There is never going to be equal opportunity. What about the kids outside of New York City? Where is their equity? It just goes on and on. You simply want to remove all true merit. If it came down to complete equity and we all lived outside huddled around fires, you'd stomp it out because it was bigger than the one next door.

Even if there was such a thing equal opportunity it rarely equates to equal outcomes.

So are you for great educational institutions or like NYC you want to tear them down?

Your missing a bunch of ys LM.

In addition to or in place of, people can learn on their own. A library is a good place to do that. Some people even do that AND have tutors. (Gasp!!!)

If pyyple could truly learn on their own, we wouldn't need public schools, and we wouldn't need tutors. Fact.

The bourgeois scum that can self-teach yet choose to pay for a private tutor anyway are merely flaunting their rich, white-privileged upbringing in the faces of the underclass. It's truly sickening and I'm not sure how you can support it.

Most of my college professors were pretty bad at teaching, I taught myself in most courses through the books. My family was not rich and all three kids attended private K-12. It was a big priority for us, so we spent accordingly. It was a great investment as it turns out.

Your hate and envy of anyone who made better choices or had better results is quite sad. Please except my pity.

I'm not the hateful bigot here. Everyone who wants to continue oppressing womyn, minorities, and the poor is.

Look up what a bigot is, you are one. Fortunately there is always a chance you can change.

See what all that crap accomplished? Nada.

I would much rather have a focused discussion on a solution which is acceptable to both sides.

I have offered the idea that a standardized test is working for the most part, but creating some more opportunity (equity) is a good goal. Suggested we get more kids into the study classes through cheaper alternative classes, scholarships and student loans.

Despite all that, I get this load of hate and ridiculous cries of unfair. Bash away, it makes no difference to me other than the problem still exists and there is gridlock.

Look up what a bigot is, you are one. Fortunately there is always a chance you can change.

I am for the advancement of all those groups. Just not at the discouragement of men that make up the backbone of our sciences infrastructure.

The democrats need to support science, infrastructure and education. STOP scaring the men away and we might win.:mad:

FDR pretty much killed any sort of meritocracy that America had. Since then it has been a race to the lowest common denominator.

The bottom-up society we were promised.

Here we are, enjoy.

You are upset because no one thinks you are as special as you think you are?

i don't go through life mistaking luck for merit.

I was having a private conversation with PylytycylChyc, actually. And only PylytycylChyc. Not you.

Conversation?

Hardly.

Posts #190 and #191 recognized, exposed, ridiculed, and dispatched you.

What more is there?

Entering the mind of LiberalMedia is like entering the Twilight Zone. It's a world of synaptic misfires, barking madness and the verbal diarrhea of sloganeering.

At least we've seen you admit, albeit tacitly, that excellence is in fact possible in the public school system.

Instead of doing everything in your power to destroy the public school system, maybe you conservatives should all concede this fact and put some effort to expanding the excellence within the public school system.

No. See. This is the problem.

First, excellence is not generally possible in the public education system as it is currently administered.

Second, reforming the system's administration means wresting control of it from the bureaucrats and putting parents back in charge. It means an administration that entails choice and competition, which, you, no doubt, perceive to be the destruction of the system.

Disabusing the leftist of his delusional faith in the expertise of the apparatchik is an insurmountable hurdle.

No. See. This is the problem.

First, excellence is not generally possible in the public education system as it is currently administered.

Second, reforming the system's administration means wresting control of it from the bureaucrats and putting parents back in charge. It means an administration that entails choice and competition, which, you, no doubt, perceive to be the destruction of the system.

Disabusing the leftist of his delusional faith in the expertise of the apparatchik is an insurmountable hurdle.

Since nothing you said refutes in any way anything I said, I don't know why you made that post.

And, interestingly, the responses in this thread did not even come close to breaking down along those lines.

Isn't it amusing that every time PC ventures outside the cocoon of cut and paste and relying on the opinions of others,

and instead attempts to offer a bit of personally generated insight,

she is dreadfully, woefully, and comically wrong?

And, interestingly, the responses in this thread did not even come close to breaking down along those lines.

Isn't it amusing that every time PC ventures outside the cocoon of cut and paste and relying on the opinions of others,

and instead attempts to offer a bit of personally generated insight,

she is dreadfully, woefully, and comically wrong?

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." William F. Buckley

How about we simply rely on the insight of others to pick up on quickly you resort to lies.

Forum List

Back