The Liberal Assault on Merit

FDR pretty much killed any sort of meritocracy that America had. Since then it has been a race to the lowest common denominator.

The bottom-up society we were promised.

Here we are, enjoy.

You are upset because no one thinks you are as special as you think you are?

i don't go through life mistaking luck for merit.

Yes, "you didn't build that", "you didn't earn that", "you don't deserve that."

Anyone who has achieved more than you must have cheated somehow.

Must be.

I absolutely believe that you absolutely believe that.

As this thread clearly indicates. Conservatives view merit as very helpful to forwarding society and rewarding those who exhibit merit. We were willing to assist in financial issues which hurt a small minority of applicants. Liberals quickly made it a case of opportunity and refused any reasonable changes in favor of tearing down the system. Almost an irrational fear of merit.

At least we've seen you admit, albeit tacitly, that excellence is in fact possible in the public school system.

Instead of doing everything in your power to destroy the public school system, maybe you conservatives should all concede this fact and put some effort to expanding the excellence within the public school system.

No. See. This is the problem.

First, excellence is not generally possible in the public education system as it is currently administered.

Second, reforming the system's administration means wresting control of it from the bureaucrats and putting parents back in charge. It means an administration that entails choice and competition, which, you, no doubt, perceive to be the destruction of the system.

Disabusing the leftist of his delusional faith in the expertise of the apparatchik is an insurmountable hurdle.

Since nothing you said refutes in any way anything I said, I don't know why you made that post.

So I imagined this: "Instead of doing everything in your power to destroy the public school system . . ."

Why do imagine that reforming the manner in which the system is administered, i.e., the elimination of the technocratic middleman, constitutes the destruction of the public education system? Conservatives are not trying to destroy it, but reform it. You're premise is false.

You just can't imagine what such a public system of education would look like without the gratuitous apparatchiks.

Last edited:
The question will surely break down along the usual lines: Liberals, equality of numbers is the only consideration.

Normal folks: merit should be rewarded.

And, interestingly, the responses in this thread did not even come close to breaking down along those lines.

Isn't it amusing that every time PC ventures outside the cocoon of cut and paste and relying on the opinions of others,

and instead attempts to offer a bit of personally generated insight,

she is dreadfully, woefully, and comically wrong?

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." William F. Buckley

How about we simply rely on the insight of others to pick up on quickly you resort to lies.

Ok, name the liberals in this thread who said equality of numbers was the only consideration and cite the posts they said it in.

Last edited:
The question will surely break down along the usual lines: Liberals, equality of numbers is the only consideration.

Normal folks: merit should be rewarded.

And, interestingly, the responses in this thread did not even come close to breaking down along those lines.

Isn't it amusing that every time PC ventures outside the cocoon of cut and paste and relying on the opinions of others,

Oh?

You really don't grasp what I'm getting at in the above with regard to eliminating the gratuitous apparatchiks, do you?

(1) It's one thing to give lip service to merit. It's quite another thing to understand what is required in order to established a universally reliable education system of merit. Leftists typically do not understand what the conservative is talking about with regard to what has to be done.

(2) Clearly, there are leftists on this thread pooh-poohing merit as they argue that the conservative's advocacy of merit is, essentially, code speak for oppression and deprivation. LOL!

(3) In the real world, only leftists are pushing the agenda of the mindless egalitarianism of mediocrity, not conservatives.

Did I miss anything?

And again: this boorish complaint about copying and pasting!

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said." William F. Buckley

How about we simply rely on the insight of others to pick up on quickly you resort to lies.

Ok, name the liberals in this thread who said equality of numbers was the only consideration and cite the posts they said it in.

So, after claiming that the liberals would all say that equality of numbers was the only consideration,

PC cannot find one who actually said anything of the sort, and yet I'm called the liar for pointing that out.

RWnut business as usual.

You NYC, stated in posts #144 & #164 equality of opportunity. Since the entire blow up of the OP was the student population didn't reflect the population as a whole, you are implying equality of numbers. Thanks for playing word games.

Okay, you oppose equal opportunity. I don't.

Which of us do the rest of you agree with?

Are you for equal opportunity, as I am, or against equal opportunity, as this saveliberty person is?

Please state your opinion.

You despise equal opportunity...rather, you demand equal OUTCOME.

And you are either too brainwashed or too stupid to realize that you do so.

There is never going to be equal opportunity. What about the kids outside of New York City? Where is their equity? It just goes on and on. You simply want to remove all true merit. If it came down to complete equity and we all lived outside huddled around fires, you'd stomp it out because it was bigger than the one next door.

Even if there was such a thing equal opportunity it rarely equates to equal outcomes.

So are you for great educational institutions or like NYC you want to tear them down?

I think you quoted the wrong poster, dude.

Forum List

Back