The Importance of Mali

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
The Importance of Mali

By Georgy Gounev
January 30, 2013

Media coverage of the French reaction to the establishment of an Islamic enclave in Mali creates the impression of a limited operation conducted by a small military contingent. The vastness of one of the largest and poorest African countries has helped to reinforce such an impression. What should not be forgotten, however, is that this picture is only the visible part of the mighty iceberg.

The early stages of the process that led to the French intervention in Mali was connected to the appearance of the first Islamic groups in the northern part of the country during the 1990s. The development that brought about the creation of an Islamic enclave in Mali was initiated by the Islamic leftovers from the Libyan and the Algerian civil wars.

The oil-related cash that for decades flowed into Libya produced a wave of immigrants from countries tot he south. The largest majority of black jobseekers were looking for employment at the numerous construction projects of rich but underpopulated Libya.

When the Libyan dictator Moammar Qaddafi decided to create a mercenary force similar to the French Foreign Legion, immigration issues became more complicated. There were numerous and generally false speculations about the important role played by the black mercenaries in the civil war that had led to the downfall of Qaddafi.

As a matter of fact this role was quite limited. There were only 1,500 black mercenaries, which included hundreds of Mali-based Tuaregs, out of the 76,000 soldiers loyal to the dictator. This situation didn't save the terrified majority of black immigrants to Libya from the brutal treatment they got from the "rebels."

The end of Qaddafi rule was greeted enthusiastically by the world media. But what remained hidden for quite some time was the huge arsenal of weapons the dictator had acquired during the long decades of his rule. These weapons ended up primarily in the hands of a motley crowd of Jihadists.

Recently the French military contingent got involved in an intense battle with the Jihadists in northern Mali. The French participants in the battle were impressed by the sophistication of the training and the weapons of their enemies. But there was no cause for amazement, considering that 10,000 shoulder-fired missile launchers possessed by the Kaddafi army ended up in the hands of the radical Islamists.

The Algerian civil war throughout the 1990s was a conflict that still awaits a complete analysis. This long and brutal confrontation was won by the Algerian Army. From time to time, although defeated, the Islamists were able to organize terrorist acts in urban areas and to maintain their presence in the isolated desert areas of Algeria. It was from there that they recently launched an assault on the Amenas gas facility located in the southeastern corner of the country.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Articles: The Importance of Mali

Nothing is more important than manipulating news coverage for advantage in the next election.

We have met the enemy, and it is us. -Pogo

So now the neocon media is okay with Obama getting involved militarily in Africa? Is that their official position today?

I can't keep up.

So now the neocon media is okay with Obama getting involved militarily in Africa? Is that their official position today?

I can't keep up.

The French seem to be doing rather well. Will the right acknowledge that they're actually good fighters and not "surrender monkeys"?

It's good to see that we actually have allies and don't always have to take the majority role in these kinds of operations.

Timbuktu Endured Terror Under Harsh Shariah Law...
:eek:
Islamists’ Harsh Rule Awakened Ethnic Tensions in Timbuktu
February 1, 2013 — Zahby Ould Ibrahim’s general store was looted to the studs this week. The horde that descended upon it took not just the shop’s stock of pots, pans and bedding but the electric sockets, the light bulbs and the doorframe, too.
A few shops away, Mahamane Dguitteye’s grocery store, its shelves lined with packets of spaghetti, bottles of olive oil and bars of soap, was completely untouched. The main difference between the men? Mr. Ibrahim is an Arab. Mr. Dguitteye is a black African of the Songhai ethnic group. “They bypassed my shop because I am not an Islamist, I am not an Arab, I am not light skinned,” Mr. Dguitteye said. “So they let me be.” The looting that took place here, along with reports of army executions of suspected Islamists and their allies, has raised fears that Mali, after two decades of peace among its many ethnic groups, is headed for a period of deep ethnic tension. That prospect is dampening the celebrations over the retaking of Timbuktu on Monday by French and Malian soldiers from the Islamist militants who occupied it.

The rebellion in Mali started with disgruntled members of the Tuareg ethnic group, who have risen up three times since Mali won its independence from France in 1960 to demand a state of their own. But Islamists with links to an extremist group, Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, quickly overran the secular rebels. They planned to turn northern Mali into an Islamic state, and some ethnic Arabs and black Africans joined their cause. These alliances have driven deep wedges in this crossroads city, where the two ancient superhighways of the Sahara — the fabled caravan route and the Niger River — meet, bringing travelers from far and wide who have long found ways to live together in relative peace. “Before, we were friends,” said Dramane Cissé, the imam of one of the city’s most important mosques. “But this is not the first time the Tuaregs have made trouble. They brought calamity on us. After this, the relationship will not be the same.”

01mali-popup.jpg

These tensions could be exacerbated by calls to negotiate with the secular Tuareg rebels, whose uprising in January 2012 started the crisis. France, whose troops helped push the Islamists from the northern towns they held, are pressing for African troops to come garrison the cities of northern Mali before the rains arrive in March, and they are pressing President Dioncounda Traoré to start negotiations quickly with Tuareg rebels in the north, most of whom do not hold radical Islamist views. The majority of Tuaregs, the French contend, will agree to remain in a sovereign Mali with more guarantees of political autonomy, and the French hope that a deal will lead to early national elections. The Foreign Ministry has called on the Malian government to open talks with “legitimate representatives” and “non-terrorist armed groups” in the north, a clear reference to the more secular Tuareg National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad, known as the M.N.L.A.

That is a message that President François Hollande of France is likely to reiterate when he meets with Mr. Traoré in the central town of Sévaré on Saturday and then travels with him to meet with French and Malian forces stationed here. The Malian government has said it is open to talks with the rebel movement, which has dissociated itself from the Islamists, as long as it gives up its demand for full Tuareg independence. But the government has ruled out talks with Islamist groups, including Ansar Dine. Several days after the looting ended, a group of young men had gathered, shiftless and bored in front of Mr. Ibrahim’s shop, Boutique Najat. They explained why they had taken part in the spree. “We are punishing them for what they did to us,” said Aboukarime, a 17-year-old student who would give only his first name. “We suffered under the Islamists. They beat our mothers. They must pay.”

MORE

Mali is important - but perhaps largely because of what it is close to. If rebels could use Mali as a base they would be within striking distance of Burkina Faso, Ghana, Senegal, The Gambia and Algeria.

That's a lot of resources, and a few growing tourist destinations.

Mali is important - but perhaps largely because of what it is close to. If rebels could use Mali as a base they would be within striking distance of Burkina Faso, Ghana, Senegal, The Gambia and Algeria.

That's a lot of resources, and a few growing tourist destinations.

Wow, I'm sure Maobama wouldn't want to harm the tourist trade.

All I have to say is this. I think Africa is to national security what the Middle East was 10 years ago. It might not have the greatest threats, but it has some of the most probable ones. The radicalization of some parts of Western Africa are very concerning. The Sudan and Somalia have always been disconcerting, and the Sudan has attracted some of the crazier radicals of the past. China is becoming a dominant force in Africa. Northern Africa is a political mess. There is a lot going on.

4berry -

There is a lot going on, but most of it is good. Many countries in Africa, like Ghana, Senegal and Botswana, are doing very well. They are stable, democratic and thriving. As such, they are also role models for some of the other states. I'm fairly positive about the way it is going.

doc -

You realise that posting 'maobama' makes you look like a child, right?

Given its size ans strategic location, it's vitally important to protect Mali. The last thing African needs is another Somalia. If Mali goes downhill, quite a few of the surrounding states would probably follow. Well done to the French - they've done an excellent job so far.

Given its size ans strategic location, it's vitally important to protect Mali. The last thing African needs is another Somalia. If Mali goes downhill, quite a few of the surrounding states would probably follow. Well done to the French - they've done an excellent job so far.

Exactly that!

But protection isn't enough in itself - populations in countries such as Mali also need to see the benefits of tolerance and cooperation.

Both Senegal and Ghana are proving this with rising standards of living, increased tourism and jobs, but I also want to see more westerners invest in Africa.

And yes - I do have investments in Africa. Not a lot, but some.

Forum List

Back