CDZ The image of the enemy in Russia and in the West

Balancer

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2017
Moscow, Russia, Earth
This is not the first time I have come across the assertion that in Russia the image of the West as an enemy is constantly being created. But in the West, the image of Russia is designated enemy much less often. I do not see this tendency. Moreover, constantly reading / watching both Russian and Western sources, I see the opposite. But I'm interested to get to the truth, so I decided to start a separate topic with a comparison of the image of the West in Russia and the image of Russia in the West.

Since the topic was not prepared in advance as an article for publication, I will simply post here materials suitable for the topic. For the reasons that I am much more often confronted with the fact that Russia is portrayed to evil opponents, it is obvious that I will more often place such images.

Here's to seed a picture of the fresh The Guardian, which has now become very famous in Russia. Actually, because of it, I decided to open this topic:

661.jpg

It is interesting that this picture is not the original. A very little reworked propaganda fascist poster of 1940/1941.

photo_2018-03-20_03-38-03.jpg

I can in advance notice that it is the West that very actively shapes the image of itself as an enemy within Russia. From the point of view of the Russians, the appearance of such a caricature immediately puts the author on one shelf with the Nazis.

Here is another fresh material. British School Portal:

PDF File: toxic-putin-on-mission-to-poison-the-west.pdf

2018-03-21_09-37-27.png
2018-03-21_09-37-53.png

You will never find anything like this in Russian schools. On the contrary, for example, most recently, a daughter in school had an action to study British culture. Children painted flags, memorized the names of current British politicians, memorized English songs.

Here, this is my daughter did at home for school :)

IMG-20171210-WA0044.jpg

This is not the first time I have come across the assertion that in Russia the image of the West as an enemy is constantly being created. But in the West, the image of Russia is designated enemy much less often. I do not see this tendency. Moreover, constantly reading / watching both Russian and Western sources, I see the opposite. But I'm interested to get to the truth, so I decided to start a separate topic with a comparison of the image of the West in Russia and the image of Russia in the West.

Since the topic was not prepared in advance as an article for publication, I will simply post here materials suitable for the topic. For the reasons that I am much more often confronted with the fact that Russia is portrayed to evil opponents, it is obvious that I will more often place such images.

Here's to seed a picture of the fresh The Guardian, which has now become very famous in Russia. Actually, because of it, I decided to open this topic:

View attachment 183797

It is interesting that this picture is not the original. A very little reworked propaganda fascist poster of 1940/1941.

View attachment 183798

I can in advance notice that it is the West that very actively shapes the image of itself as an enemy within Russia. From the point of view of the Russians, the appearance of such a caricature immediately puts the author on one shelf with the Nazis.

Well, Russia still is the enemy. In 1991 the US was making a sort of Marshall Plan for Eastern Europe, only Russia didn't get any of that, it pushed Russia and the US apart, it made Yelstin fail and brought Putin to power.

The US and Russia are always going to be enemies, because the mentality of both countries is similar when it comes to trying to control the world.

Well, Russia still is the enemy.

I have nothing against such an assessment :) I'm only against the fact that many believe that it is only in Russia that the image of the West is created, the enemy, and in the West there is not such or less than in Russia :)

On the contrary, all official sources in Russia always say that the West is a rival, but not an enemy. And they never descend to cheap primitive propaganda of the level of the middle of the last century.

In fact, any attempt to deceive people by drawing an unrealistic image of the West in Russia is doomed. 90% of all mass culture in Russia are Western. It is very difficult to deceive those who watch Western cinema, read Western books, go to Western sites. And vice versa, in these 90% of Western culture we very often see how evil and primitive the West sees us. That's what sets people against the West much stronger.

I have nothing against such an assessment :) I'm only against the fact that many believe that it is only in Russia that the image of the West is created, the enemy, and in the West there is not such or less than in Russia :)

On the contrary, all official sources in Russia always say that the West is a rival, but not an enemy. And they never descend to cheap primitive propaganda of the level of the middle of the last century.

In fact, any attempt to deceive people by drawing an unrealistic image of the West in Russia is doomed. 90% of all mass culture in Russia are Western. It is very difficult to deceive those who watch Western cinema, read Western books, go to Western sites. And vice versa, in these 90% of Western culture we very often see how evil and primitive the West sees us. That's what sets people against the West much stronger.

Yes, like China with Japan. They love Japanese stuff, but still manage to hate the Japanese. I'm sure there are Russians who don't hate the West, I've met quite a few, they want to escape Russia but struggle now with stricter visas.

However there are those who aren't into popular culture and who love Putin etc, they'll be the ones who see the US as the enemy, more than rival.

However there are those who aren't into popular culture and who love Putin etc, they'll be the ones who see the US as the enemy, more than rival.

But the theme, nevertheless, is about where there is more propaganda against the rival. I, see, that in the West there is much more propaganda against Russia than in Russia - against the West.

But the theme, nevertheless, is about where there is more propaganda against the rival. I, see, that in the West there is much more propaganda against Russia than in Russia - against the West.

Well that depends on how you define "propaganda".

Встреча у фавел: страны G20 боятся криптовалют и США

Here's the first story I came across on gazeta.ru

Now, I don't know anything about this online newspaper. I merely looked up Russian news media and this came out as one of the most popular.

I can't find much out about this website, but I'm assuming Putin has a large amount of control over what is printed.

"Crypto currency and global trade war, unleashed by the United States."

Okay, I realize this is google translated, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here we have the word "unleashed"

Here's an example of propaganda.

On the other hand you have:

A third of Britons `would support England World Cup... | Daily Mail Online

34% of British people would support England not going to the World Cup.

Well, 65 million British people and 10 million don't live in England and would probably love to see England out of the World Cup.

Then you have the number of people who aren't English living in England. Only 44 million were born in England.

So, that's 44 million from 65 million. That's what, 66% of people. 33% of British people aren't English.

Hang on. So, the media story is from the view that 34% of people would support a boycott, and NOT from the perspective that 39% of people would out right reject this boycott.

Clear propaganda.

How you write things. The angle you take is propaganda. It's always going to happen, but you can't quite say it's outright propaganda because it's actually true.

I'd say almost EVERYTHING about Russia in the Western media is going to be slanted and EVERYTHING in the Russian media about the West is slanted too.

It's unavoidable.

I'm not talking about propaganda at all. Obviously, each side is engaged in active propaganda. I'm talking about propagating the enemy image. I see in the Western media and in Western culture a constantly promoted association - "Russian = Evil". In a more subtle case, "Russians = Putin, Putin = Evil." But I do not see in the Russian propaganda examples of "West = Evil". Even "Trump = Evil" or "May = Evil" is not present.

photo_2018-03-21_14-16-20.jpg
54143.png
1389852915_345564439.jpg

I'm not talking about propaganda at all. Obviously, each side is engaged in active propaganda. I'm talking about propagating the enemy image. I see in the Western media and in Western culture a constantly promoted association - "Russian = Evil". In a more subtle case, "Russians = Putin, Putin = Evil." But I do not see in the Russian propaganda examples of "West = Evil". Even "Trump = Evil" or "May = Evil" is not present.

View attachment 183836 View attachment 183839 View attachment 183840

But then this happens in subtle ways and direct ways, doesn't it?

And again, it can happen with the mere choice of a word.

To the gullible, Trump is the enemy and Putin is his accomplice. The Western media is the undisputed master of propaganda.

View attachment 183797

View attachment 183798

Fake Appease Porridge

The West appeased the Nazis not out of pacifism, but because the ruling classes were hoping that Hitler would destroy Communism if he got strong enough, as he had already done in Germany itself. Today's globalists see Putin as a threat to their self-serving New World order. To fulfill their designs, they need Russia to be weak, poor, and strangling from encirclement.

Here is another fresh material. British School Portal:

PDF File: toxic-putin-on-mission-to-poison-the-west.pdf

View attachment 183804 View attachment 183805

You will never find anything like this in Russian schools. On the contrary, for example, most recently, a daughter in school had an action to study British culture. Children painted flags, memorized the names of current British politicians, memorized English songs.

Here, this is my daughter did at home for school :)

View attachment 183807
The Formerly Great Britain

Actually, that cross was used by Crusaders. Expect Islam-infested UK to replace it with rainbow stripes.

The West appeased the Nazis not out of pacifism, but because the ruling classes were hoping that Hitler would destroy Communism if he got strong enough, as he had already done in Germany itself.

Is that why they declared war on Germany for invading Poland, while signing up Russia as an ally for doing the same thing? (Hitler have had to go through Poland to fight Russia.)

The West appeased the Nazis not out of pacifism, but because the ruling classes were hoping that Hitler would destroy Communism if he got strong enough, as he had already done in Germany itself.

Is that why they declared war on Germany for invading Poland, while signing up Russia as an ally for doing the same thing? (Hitler have had to go through Poland to fight Russia.)
Like Timmy Treadwell Having Bears As His Best Friends

Exactly. They realized that what they had thought was their flunky was only into anti-Communism for himself and would destroy them next.

As for not punishing Russia for doing the same thing, that was because they thought Communism was weak; fascism, once it exposed itself as unreliable, had become the greater threat.

It's a game in Western politics to "name the enemies".. And personally, I have a very cynical view of that. Reagan had the "Evil Empire" based on a large distaste for Communism. AND -- it helped to provoke an arms race that contributed to the dissolution of the USSR. Lots of money was tossed at military and contractors on both sides. When perostroika broke out in your country -- all these ardent anti Communists on the right saw an opportunity to PARTNER with Russia to design markets, trade, and financial institutions in line with the new economy and social freedoms in Russia. So the American political Right became open to improving relations.
The American Left was generally always open to accord and dialogue with the USSR.

From then on the Republicans and Democrats USED Russia as as excuse to "play to fears" . There is a famous exchange in the 2008 Presidential debates between Romney and Obama, where Romney called Russia the "largest threat to US National Security". Obama MOCKED him for it and of course the Press joined with Obama.

Fast forward to today -- and you'll find that by the end of the Obama Admin --- now the Democrats DO consider Russia "our largest threat". Maybe even an "Evil Empire". Now the American left and Democrat Party name Russia as the largest threat EVERYDAY in the media because they LOST an election and need excuses. Even TALKING to Russians is criminalized by them.

This is what we call "playing to fears" and distracting from OUR OWN failures to promote confidence in our government. The American current political divisions are around "colluding with Russians to influence elections and attempts to destroy confidence in leadership." It's clear to me that Putin WISHES he could do that. But in fact, he knows that ALL he has to do is PROVOKE our OWN fighting to SUSTAIN it. Putin does not have to do this himself. He is preying on our internal weaknesses, like we helped to push the USSR to it's end. It's pride, it's retribution and it's a dangerous game that only the world elite leadership can play with.

Pay little attention to what's be said. Pay more attention to what's being DONE. It did not help when Putin recently published animations depicting new weapons with US TARGETS shown in the animation. But Russian leadership has it's own list of priorities and KNOWS that there are other larger fires in the world than our current political instability. I'm grateful that he saved our asses from yet another mistake in the Middle East by asserting himself on Syria. We have made the same mistakes in that region for far too long. Also grateful that when it COUNTS -- Russia shares the SAME concerns about institutionalized global terror threats.

If the US survives it's own internal political melting, I feel things will normalize again. Its always the political elites picking enemies when THEY are in big trouble themselves. Things will change for the better assuming Russia doesn't push TOO hard to try to insert themselves into our little civil wars.

To the gullible, Trump is the enemy and Putin is his accomplice. The Western media is the undisputed master of propaganda.

90% of that crap is the Western media. Are they beating the war drums again?

They need to stop. Ofc they won't.

Western media used to have some integrity. Real journalism is hard to find these days.

I think the big shift came around Clinton-ish time.

Why can’t we be friends and share a space station.

And again - Russians in space are portrayed in the West more often like this :)

ab0e5edf-dae2-4de7-9371-c0e9fd23effc.jpg

At what we all see it. And many of these films are popular with us, because we can abstract from the image of Russia, formed by the West. But this does not go unnoticed and as a result, the attitude towards the West in Russia is deteriorating without the slightest influence of the Kremlin. The hands of Western propaganda itself.

The U.S. inherited "The Great Game" that has been going on for centuries, from Great Britain, and off on other western European countries. It keeps going because of the view that 'leopards don't change their stripes", and Russia has always been aggressively expansionist since Peter, and this has been a constant plank of Russian foreign policy regardless of ideological cosmetics over those centuries.

It is a valid one, and Putin has kept up the 'tradition'. Also Putin is a gangster, former KGB, not a highly regraded resume entry as far as the West is concerned. The current alignment with Iran's govt. is also a concern.

If the US survives it's own internal political melting, I feel things will normalize again.

Is that a good thing? The U.S. inherited the world after WW2 but has been giving it up since the 1960's with no appreciable benefit to anyone. Instead, we have been mimicking the Austro-Hungarian Empire of the 19th century: Bureaucratic corruption combined with Balkanization of our citizenry (aka identity politics). Why should we expect a different outcome?

Forum List

Back