The great plastic/microchip shortage...................

I thought that myself for much of my life. I mean, if you've been able to meet all your bills with no repo's or having services cut off, why should you have to get a credit card? Repo's and not paying your bills for some reason ARE reported to the credit agencies, but making payments on time and keeping your utilities current ISN'T. Weird.

I also find it very strange that to GET credit, you need to somehow prove that you don't need it. I wouldn't be asking for credit if I didn't need it because I'd have the cash to pay for whatever it was that I wanted.

But, these are the times we live in now, and I've finally gotten a credit card at the ripe old age of 58 because I want to buy a home.
Being an ideal consumer requires the acceptance and participation in a multitude of absurdities. I was taught that debt was a trap and a shame on your house. Been buying stuff for cash all my life. No credit and no regrets.

Being an ideal consumer requires the acceptance and participation in a multitude of absurdities. I was taught that debt was a trap and a shame on your house. Been buying stuff for cash all my life. No credit and no regrets.

Pretty much what my Grandparents taught me, and how I've lived all my life, until now. Unfortunately, I gotta get a credit history established to get my VA loan, which is why at 58, I'm getting my first credit card.

Who'd have thunk there'd be a microchip shortage right when they're forcing us to get vaccines.

Who'd have thunk there'd be a microchip shortage right when they're forcing us to get vaccines.

Who'd have thunk that you'd be stupid enough to insinuate that microchips are small enough to be injected into your body via syringe without anyone knowing? Sorry, but while microchips can be small, if they are small enough to be suspended in a liquid and injected, they aren't powerful enough to do anything. And, before you start talking about "hive computing" (lots of chips working together to do something), it would require quite a bit more than what a syringe would hold if they were small enough to be suspended in a liquid.

Pretty much what my Grandparents taught me, and how I've lived all my life, until now. Unfortunately, I gotta get a credit history established to get my VA loan, which is why at 58, I'm getting my first credit card.
I'm about to have a ton of medical debt. Credit would be a pipe dream.

I'm about to have a ton of medical debt. Credit would be a pipe dream.

If there is someway to work it out with the medical company to make payments, you should see if they will report it to the credit bureaus when you start making payments to establish credit for yourself. I've heard that is a possible thing. Me? I'm lucky that I'm retired military, because the VA takes care of all the medical stuff that I need. And, if the procedures required a co pay, it's fairly small (from what I've heard from other vets).

Pretty much what my plan is when I get my card. For the big things (rent), I'm gonna pay cash from my bank account. For the little things (groceries, eating out, etc.), I'm gonna use my credit card up to it's limit and pay it off every month.

DON'T max out your credit card. Never go over 70%. That builds credit faster than maxing it out.

Who'd have thunk that you'd be stupid enough to insinuate that microchips are small enough to be injected into your body via syringe without anyone knowing? Sorry, but while microchips can be small, if they are small enough to be suspended in a liquid and injected, they aren't powerful enough to do anything. And, before you start talking about "hive computing" (lots of chips working together to do something), it would require quite a bit more than what a syringe would hold if they were small enough to be suspended in a liquid.
We all carry tracking devices around that we paid good money for and we panic if we get separated from it.

If there is someway to work it out with the medical company to make payments, you should see if they will report it to the credit bureaus when you start making payments to establish credit for yourself. I've heard that is a possible thing. Me? I'm lucky that I'm retired military, because the VA takes care of all the medical stuff that I need. And, if the procedures required a co pay, it's fairly small (from what I've heard from other vets).
I'm going to pay it but it might go to collection before I can recover from colon cancer and chemo and get back to work.

I'm going to pay it but it might go to collection before I can recover from colon cancer and chemo and get back to work.

Yanno..................might want to check with them to see if the can delay the payments until you are able to get back to work. If that's not an option, call 211 on your phone. It's a service that helps if you end up in financial straits or need just a bit of help with bills. You can also look it up on the computer at "211.org", and check to see if there is an office in your area that might be able to help out. Good luck, I hope your recovery goes well and you get back to full power.

For the foreseeable future, I'm gonna max it out every month, and pay it off at the end of every month (only 500 limit), so I can show that I can handle that amount in the hopes of having them increase it. When they finally do increase it (should take around 6 months from what I've heard from the bank), I'll see if my score qualifies me for the VA home loan program (guaranteed if you served honorably, and I'm retired). They told me I only need a score of 620 to meet the requirements for a VA loan.
You could try a capitalist bank.....

Reason I'm going with the VA is because I qualify (other than credit score), and they offer very good rates with no money down and no closing costs.

Now that the housing market has cooled off the VA loan is not a bad way to go. The downfall of the VA loan is they have way more hoops for the seller to jump through and when the market was red hot people would not accept an offer that included a VA loan unless it was significantly above all the rest.

We did not use the VA loan, but I also put down 20% since it was a new build and we had to give the builder that much in earnest money.

Forum List

Back