The Work-From-Anywhere War Is Beginning

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
This is by far the most radical thing to result from the pandemic. Remote working..employees are demanding it. Not only does this change the traditional office culture--but it is crashing property values and bankrupting downtown areas across the nation. Occupancy rates through the cellar..tax revenues following. Big losers? Middle management--those whose job has been direct supervision..increasingly seen as redundant. People no longer care about the window office...they want their living rooms.

Who calls the shots on how many days you end up working in the office? It has gradually dawned on bosses that it isn’t them. The real power holders? The elusive “top talent” that every firm is trying to attract.
Raj Choudhury, an economist from Harvard Business School, argues that throughout history it’s been the most sought-after job candidates who end up shaping what our jobs look like. For instance, in the early ’90s, using email on our phones was a luxury exclusive to CEOs. Soon, however, top talent in companies started demanding it and, as a result, we now can’t escape email.
This story is from the WIRED World in 2023, our annual trends briefing. Read more stories from the series here—or download or order a copy of the magazine.
Today, Choudhury’s spidey-sense is tingling over the demand for extreme flexibility: Top talent doesn’t just want hybrid work, they want to work from wherever they want. “There are two kinds of companies,” Choudhury explains. “One is going to embrace work-from-anywhere, and the second is in denial—I feel those companies will lose their workforce.” He argues that the “companies that are trying to drag back time will lose some of their best talent, and that dynamic will force these companies to catch up.”
This might come as a revelation to workers who are currently experiencing a top-down model of 3/2 in their workplaces. This “three days in, two days out” model was certainly expected to become a norm when we first imagined, during the pandemic, what life would be like after Covid. But since emerging from our bedrooms and kitchen tables we’ve recognized that we’re not at the end of this story—we’re still at the beginning of it. Data by Stanford economist Nick Bloom backs this up: In June 2020, most companies expected employees to be working from home around one and a half days a week, but the subsequent two years have seen the expectation of homeworking go up each successive month—most firms now expect workers to be at home for almost half of the week.

Nimble startup firms have a strong advantage due to this cultural shift. Indeed, in 2023, we will see startups migrate to remote-first. On the other hand, more established firms will be presented with the decision of whether to hang on to expensive real estate and slow-to-evolve managers, or to just dash to chase the new trend.

This is by far the most radical thing to result from the pandemic. Remote working..employees are demanding it. Not only does this change the traditional office culture--but it is crashing property values and bankrupting downtown areas across the nation. Occupancy rates through the cellar..tax revenues following. Big losers? Middle management--those whose job has been direct supervision..increasingly seen as redundant. People no longer care about the window office...they want their living rooms.

Who calls the shots on how many days you end up working in the office? It has gradually dawned on bosses that it isn’t them. The real power holders? The elusive “top talent” that every firm is trying to attract.
Raj Choudhury, an economist from Harvard Business School, argues that throughout history it’s been the most sought-after job candidates who end up shaping what our jobs look like. For instance, in the early ’90s, using email on our phones was a luxury exclusive to CEOs. Soon, however, top talent in companies started demanding it and, as a result, we now can’t escape email.
This story is from the WIRED World in 2023, our annual trends briefing. Read more stories from the series here—or download or order a copy of the magazine.
Today, Choudhury’s spidey-sense is tingling over the demand for extreme flexibility: Top talent doesn’t just want hybrid work, they want to work from wherever they want. “There are two kinds of companies,” Choudhury explains. “One is going to embrace work-from-anywhere, and the second is in denial—I feel those companies will lose their workforce.” He argues that the “companies that are trying to drag back time will lose some of their best talent, and that dynamic will force these companies to catch up.”
This might come as a revelation to workers who are currently experiencing a top-down model of 3/2 in their workplaces. This “three days in, two days out” model was certainly expected to become a norm when we first imagined, during the pandemic, what life would be like after Covid. But since emerging from our bedrooms and kitchen tables we’ve recognized that we’re not at the end of this story—we’re still at the beginning of it. Data by Stanford economist Nick Bloom backs this up: In June 2020, most companies expected employees to be working from home around one and a half days a week, but the subsequent two years have seen the expectation of homeworking go up each successive month—most firms now expect workers to be at home for almost half of the week.

Nimble startup firms have a strong advantage due to this cultural shift. Indeed, in 2023, we will see startups migrate to remote-first. On the other hand, more established firms will be presented with the decision of whether to hang on to expensive real estate and slow-to-evolve managers, or to just dash to chase the new trend.
This trend was slowly but surely coming in the latter half of the last decade. The pandemic just put the shift into overdrive. There are some companies that are railing against it, but most are trying to reach a compromise and implement a hybrid model to keep their talent happy. I've been working from home in large part since 2014. I am always willing to travel for business, but it's not necessary for me to sit in a car for one to three hours a day traveling to sit in an office because a manager doesn't think I can perform my work without supervision. Treat workers like adults. As long as the work gets done. There are plenty of ways to stay connected and collaborate. Plan some actual company get togethers every quarter or two and your interaction with your fellow employees and managers may actually mean something. :)

Ha! Boy was I way ahead of the curve....I worked 7 days on and 7 days off for twenty-odd years!

It was really great.....Take a shift off on vacation and you had 21 days off in a row!

If you banked a shift's worth of vacation time your first couple years you could get two of those a year from then on out.

WFH has been an option in many workplaces for a long time, but it is up to the managers to ensure that productivity doesn't suffer. In today's world, even meetings on line can be just as effective as FTF.

As stated above, the real question is, What will this do to "downtown" real estate values? Offices not needed, eateries see dramatic drop in foot traffic and business. Can big office businesses ASSUME that their office space is 80% unnecessary? The ripple effect could be greater than many people realize.

I've been there for more than ten years, I love it actually. I do technically show up a few hours a day most of the days a week, but do most of my stuff at home remotely. It allows me to get up at and start hustling at 430 am to 830 am ish when I am insanely productive with no distractions, do my personal/other business crap 830 to 1 ish and then make an appearance from 230 to 430 or 5. My employer had to either let me do it this way or lose me as life drama beyond my control was keeping me from being able to continue 9-5 and they chose to keep me. I was pretty experienced with it already. I did it in grad school---my former employer set it up for me to remotely access a work station over dial up (speeds sucked donkey balls) covered the long distance, overnights, etc as the 2 successive people I was replaced with were both big fails at the job.

Another thing that needs to change along with this is "hourly pay" for many jobs needs to be rethought. While a great many jobs still need to be hourly, retail and medial (at least in a hospital setting), many more do not. With remote work this becomes even more pronounced.

Clearly not every job can be done remotely. But many can and companies could save millions on rent alone.
True GG

The fools that run my state , in their infinite wisdom, offered 10K per head for anyone moving to it, the one catch being they work @ home

2-3 years later, we've literally been invaded

now there's XX more cars to service, XXX more mouths to feed, XXXX more service industry needed, XXXX more housing needed

Our lovely governor recently pointed out the shortage of folks in the service industry, the ave age being mid 50's

POINT? Just about everything the feds, as well as now my state, does for our benefit comes with consequences anyone can see......but them

~S~

My good friend (and the guy running my regular Dungeons and Dragons game) switched to WfH in March 2020. If anything, he's MORE productive. He does customs compliance for a major company, so calls at weird hours are nothing unusual. Not having to be in at 5am to deal with a guy in Europe, or 10pm for a guy in Honolulu is nice.

If your job can be done from a laptop at home, it’s whatever the opposite of ‘essential’ is.

I've done it both ways. I have been the lowly employee working in her windowless cubicle with little say in much of anything. I have been in middle management which frankly I'm best suited for as I like having a lot of personal liberty and opportunity for creativity, but like not having all the responsibility for everybody else. And I've been in top management and was pretty good at it, but honestly don't miss it. And I've been in business for myself and worked out of my home and loved every minute of it.

The main advantage for getting up, getting dressed, reporting to work at a designated time, doing your job, and then forgetting about your job at quitting time does have its advantages. It is tougher staying on a schedule when working at home, there are far more distractions, and you are never off duty. It's almost impossible to completely forget about work for the hours you intend not to be working.

And of course, there are the irresponsible who enjoy working from home and getting paid but who aren't really doing their jobs either. Those are much easier to spot in an office environment.

The main advantage for getting up, getting dressed, reporting to work at a designated time, doing your job, and then forgetting about your job at quitting time does have its advantages. It is tougher staying on a schedule when working at home, there are far more distractions, and you are never off duty. It's almost impossible to completely forget about work for the hours you intend not to be working.

My situation is just the opposite. I have far less distractions at home than I did in the office. I have a dedicated room that is my office and at the end of the day I can walk away from it no different than I would drive home except I now do not waste 35 minuets each way getting to my work place. Most days it is just me in the house with my dog and two cats as my wife is an RN and works 12 hour days.

It also helps that I am not hourly and thus do not have to put in 8 hours every day. Some days I work 8 hours, others less and others more depending on the work load at the moment. My job like many jobs has ebbs and flows, there are weeks where I am busier than other weeks. My fellow employees are the same and when we were all in the office the ones with less work that week would often distract those with more work. I no longer have that issue.

A good friend of mine is a Customer Service Rep for ATT. Like most companies they sent everyone home to work during COVID. He was sent home with a laptop and 2 monitors. He took calls just like he did in his office. ATT told them 50% would get to keep doing that permanently. Then they changed their mind and made them all come back. He looked back over his call stats for the past few years and he averaged more calls handled working from home than in the office as he did not have fellow employees stopping by his cube to ask him how his weekend was or to talk about the Cards game.

Forum List

Back