CDZ The Great Irony of 2016

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
OK, let's set aside the facts that Donald Trump can be an arrogant buffoon and Hillary Clinton couldn't pas a security check to become a parking lot attendant. (Those of you who can't are now excused.)

The great irony of this year's elections is that many people of all political persuasions will be voting against their own self interest. Seniors who will be voting for Trump can expect no financial benefit from his policies; indeed, Hillary's spending spree will likely increase the interest paid on their retirement accounts, and inflation will increase the value of their homes.

On the other hand, younger voters who support Hillary will see fewer job opportunities if she is elected. In the long run, any relief from student loan debt will be eaten up by higher taxes and inflation, effectively writing them out of the American Dream that was available to previous generations.

The stakes couldn't be higher, and yet a large portion of our population will continue to sleepwalk towards their future.

OK, let's set aside the facts that Donald Trump can be an arrogant buffoon and Hillary Clinton couldn't pas a security check to become a parking lot attendant. (Those of you who can't are now excused.)

The great irony of this year's elections is that many people of all political persuasions will be voting against their own self interest. Seniors who will be voting for Trump can expect no financial benefit from his policies; indeed, Hillary's spending spree will likely increase the interest paid on their retirement accounts, and inflation will increase the value of their homes.

On the other hand, younger voters who support Hillary will see fewer job opportunities if she is elected. In the long run, any relief from student loan debt will be eaten up by higher taxes and inflation, effectively writing them out of the American Dream that was available to previous generations.

The stakes couldn't be higher, and yet a large portion of our population will continue to sleepwalk towards their future.
Such is the sad state of politics in these United States. Seems to me what we have here, ignoring all other candidates (and let's be honest, none of them have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected), is a choice between a bad candidate, and a worse candidate. Or, am I missing something here?
All brought to you by your local sleepwalking citizenry.

I don't think it is ironic at all that most of us will hold our noses and vote for the less terrible candidate. That's not sleepwalking toward the future, that's doing what you can to avoid it's quick decline.

Voting for Gary Johnson or Jill whatshername or writing in a candidate or not voting at all, is sleepwalking. The reality is, that unless one of them drops dead, our next POTUS will be either Trump or Hillary. I'll vote Trump for the same reason I voted Romney and McCain.

I don't think it is ironic at all that most of us will hold our noses and vote for the less terrible candidate. That's not sleepwalking toward the future, that's doing what you can to avoid it's quick decline.

Voting for Gary Johnson or Jill whatshername or writing in a candidate or not voting at all, is sleepwalking. The reality is, that unless one of them drops dead, our next POTUS will be either Trump or Hillary. I'll vote Trump for the same reason I voted Romney and McCain.

That's exactly how we "got here". With 2 arrogant re-tred power whores as the primary choices. I'm watching DAILY as political discussion gets dragged lower and lower. And PRINCIPLES and ISSUES get buried.

Don't agree with the excuse of a "wasted vote". The MAJORITY OF eligible voters in this country are STILL pissed the day after an election. Either because they cast "a wasted vote" and lost -- or they REFUSE to vote, and in that process, reward EITHER partisan corporation for their tearing us apart and obfuscating incompetence and criminal actions by politicians.

Voting AGAINST evil and arrogance is the only cure. And right now, there is a qualified slate of 2 former 2 term govs to vote for on the LParty ticket. THEIR choices and actions would be MUCH MORE predictable and healthy for America. If your objection to SAVING this country from further decline is ----- "I just HATE THEIR candidate so much" --- you are hitting the accelerator -- instead of the brake.

Last edited:

If you truly don't care whether Trump or Hillary wins, there is no problem with voting 3rd party.

Last edited:

If you truly don't care whether Trump or Hillary wins, there is no problem with voting 3rd party.
Your response strongly suggests that you did not read what I posted.

Voting for Gary Johnson or Jill whatshername or writing in a candidate or not voting at all, is sleepwalking.
So, a person who votes for "other than Clinton or Trump" because neither of them come even close to sharing the values and opinions of said person, is "sleep-walking"? Seems to me that if a person votes their conscience, who ever they vote for, they are not sleep-walking. A person who decides, "well I gotta chose between these two buffoons if I want my vote to matter" is the one who is "sleep-walking".
Just imagine, if you will, a time when the MAJORITY of voters actually thought things through, did their research and decided to vote 3rd party. What do you suppose that would do to the current system? I would say it would sent a pretty clear message to BOTH parties, "we don't support either of you anymore". Then they would have a choice, listen to their constituents, or vanish into history. Which do you think they would choose?

???? I don't follow. Seems as though they responded quite directly to your post.
Voting for Gary Johnson or Jill whatshername or writing in a candidate or not voting at all, is sleepwalking.
Maybe I am mistaken, but this seems to be the passage responded to.

Of course I read what you said. I've seen it a million times from partisans.

If I can't stand Trump or Hillary, or their parties, why should I vote for one over the other?

That's exactly how we "got here". With 2 arrogant re-tred power whores as the primary choices. I'm watching DAILY as political discussion gets dragged lower and lower. And PRINCIPLES and ISSUES get buried.

Don't agree with the excuse of a "wasted vote". The MAJORITY OF eligible voters in this country are STILL pissed the day after an election. Either because they cast "a wasted vote" and lost -- or they REFUSE to vote, and in that process, reward EITHER partisan corporation for their tearing us apart and obfuscating incompetence and criminal actions by politicians.

Voting AGAINST evil and arrogance is the only cure. And right now, there is a qualified of 2 former 2 term govs to vote for on the LParty ticket. THEIR choices and actions would be MUCH MORE predictable and healthy for America. If your objection to SAVING this country from further decline is ----- "I just HATE THEIR candidate so much" --- you are hitting the accelerator -- instead of the brake.
I hear you, and there are others who agree with you. There are not enough of them though. lf I believed the L party candidate could win I would cast my vote. As I said, I don't believe we have a choice other than DT or HC in this election. I understand the no choosing evil argument. The thing is, I don't think not voting the lesser evil is the answer when the greater evil is thus put in charge.

Ultimately, I believe that Donald Trump has helped the GOP. Establishment R's and rinos have ignored voters wishes and now we have this wild man candidate basically because the old crowd of R's have screwed us one time too many. Next time around, hopefully a conservative will step up. I believe that because of the decline in morality and honesty, voters will again say, enough.

???? I don't follow. Seems as though they responded quite directly to your post.
Maybe I am mistaken, but this seems to be the passage responded to.
How did you get I don't care whether Trump or Hillary wins out of sleepwalking?!

So, a person who votes for "other than Clinton or Trump" because neither of them come even close to sharing the values and opinions of said person, is "sleep-walking"? Seems to me that if a person votes their conscience, who ever they vote for, they are not sleep-walking. A person who decides, "well I gotta chose between these two buffoons if I want my vote to matter" is the one who is "sleep-walking".
Just imagine, if you will, a time when the MAJORITY of voters actually thought things through, did their research and decided to vote 3rd party. What do you suppose that would do to the current system? I would say it would sent a pretty clear message to BOTH parties, "we don't support either of you anymore". Then they would have a choice, listen to their constituents, or vanish into history. Which do you think they would choose?
I disagree. Voting for someone who has absolutely no chance of winning doesn't make sense. I used the word sleepwalking in direct response to the OP's use of the word.

Please see my response #11 and you might notice I don't disagree with you entirely.

If I can't stand Trump or Hillary, or their parties, why should I vote for one over the other?
You aren't listening. You assume I'm wrong because you see only through your partisan prejudice. Thank you for admitting it, though.

You aren't listening. You assume I'm wrong because you see only through your partisan prejudice. Thank you for admitting it, though.
You're point is that even if you hate both candidates, you should support one regardless. Flip a coin if you must. Is that it?

At this point -- it's not even "either/or". The pair are toxic lunatics. There IS no acceptable "lesser".

Voting AGAINST evil and arrogance is the only cure. And right now, there is a qualified of 2 former 2 term govs to vote for on the LParty ticket. THEIR choices and actions would be MUCH MORE predictable and healthy for America. If your objection to SAVING this country from further decline is ----- "I just HATE THEIR candidate so much" --- you are hitting the accelerator -- instead of the brake.
I hear you, and there are others who agree with you. There are not enough of them though. lf I believed the L party candidate could win I would cast my vote. As I said, I don't believe we have a choice other than DT or HC in this election. I understand the no choosing evil argument. The thing is, I don't think not voting the lesser evil is the answer when the greater evil is thus put in charge.

Ultimately, I believe that Donald Trump has helped the GOP. Establishment R's and rinos have ignored voters wishes and now we have this wild man candidate basically because the old crowd of R's have screwed us one time too many. Next time around, hopefully a conservative will step up. I believe that because of the decline in morality and honesty, voters will again say, enough.

Sometimes it's NOT about winning. It's about principle. By winning some electoral votes, and getting percentages that qualify for "free pass" ballot access -- those votes PRESERVE the option of having choices on the ballot.

If no one WANTS other choices on the ballot and we CONTINUE this spiral down the tubes, we are doomed.

You WASTE your vote when you REWARD the political circus that has rolled into town..

Voting for someone who has absolutely no chance of winning doesn't make sense.
And voting for someone because they are less bad does? I could see voting one or the other if there where no other options, however, saying I would vote 3rd but they won't win is exactly what BOTH parties are counting on.
What I am saying is if more people would just refuse to vote for either, but still vote, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.
First rule when you find yourself in a hole is:

Quit digging!!!!

You're point is that even if you hate both candidates, you should support one regardless. Flip a coin if you must. Is that it?
This is no joke. I'm saying that sometimes the most practical approach is to cast your vote against someone rather than for someone. Flipping a coin does not factor in at all.

Voting for someone who has absolutely no chance of winning doesn't make sense.
And voting for someone because they are less bad does? I could see voting one or the other if there where no other options, however, saying I would vote 3rd but they won't win is exactly what BOTH parties are counting on.
What I am saying is if more people would just refuse to vote for either, but still vote, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.
First rule when you find yourself in a hole is:

Quit digging!!!!
We don't agree. There is no need to yell.

Forum List

Back