The Graduated Income Tax

No idea what your point is. hJ Heinz went bankrupt eight times before he hit on a formula to sell food. When you go to work for that company they give you a book about it so that you will Understand true nature of capitalism. Do you understand?

I'm sorry that you're too stupid to understand that a bankruptcy is proof that hard work doesn't equal success. Do you get my point?

Starting over is just like buying another lottery ticket. Heinz bought "nine lottery tickets", and the ninth was a winner. Also, I wouldn't call him mega-rich. He was an elderly man by the time Heinz incorporated. Rather, his children were mega-rich lottery winners by being born into wealth.

All you've shown is that hard work and persistence increases one's chance of getting that winning lottery ticket, and that was never in dispute. Show that you're not an idiot and explain why there are millions of hard working and persistent people who are not mega-rich, and many of them are intelligent. If it's not luck, what is it? Or, just take Heinz, if it's not luck, why did he have eight failures? I'm done with you here. You're being stupid and I have better things to do than tell you that you're being stupid. It's just too bad we don't have IQ tests for voting.
Starting over is just like paying another lottery ticket? Obviously when HJ Hynes started over the eighth time he had learned from his previous seven mistakes. When you buy the lottery eight times you don't learn from your previous seven mistakes. So? Do you have any idea what your point is?

No idea what your point is. hJ Heinz went bankrupt eight times before he hit on a formula to sell food. When you go to work for that company they give you a book about it so that you will Understand true nature of capitalism. Do you understand?

I'm sorry that you're too stupid to understand that a bankruptcy is proof that hard work doesn't equal success. Do you get my point?

Starting over is just like buying another lottery ticket. Heinz bought "nine lottery tickets", and the ninth was a winner. Also, I wouldn't call him mega-rich. He was an elderly man by the time Heinz incorporated. Rather, his children were mega-rich lottery winners by being born into wealth.

All you've shown is that hard work and persistence increases one's chance of getting that winning lottery ticket, and that was never in dispute. Show that you're not an idiot and explain why there are millions of hard working and persistent people who are not mega-rich, and many of them are intelligent. If it's not luck, what is it? Or, just take Heinz, if it's not luck, why did he have eight failures? I'm done with you here. You're being stupid and I have better things to do than tell you that you're being stupid. It's just too bad we don't have IQ tests for voting.
Why aren't many hard-working persistent people mega rich? I already told you they were not as lucky intelligent persistent and hard-working As those who became mega rich now that you know that do you feel silly?

Please spare me mindless stupidity. Only a complete moron would say that working through failure after failure until you finely found something that works through your determination and effort...... is luck.

The only one here guilty of mindless stupidity is you. If hard work equals success then failure proves that your premise is false: Hard work does not equal success.

Second, I didn't mention celebrities, and this is the first time in 20 years of talking about this topic, that someone brought up Joel Olsteen in a discussion about wealthy elite and how they became wealthy.

There's that mindless stupidity again. I'm not accusing you of celebrity worship of Hollywood celebrities, but of celebrity worship of the mega-rich. Joel Olsteen was a parenthetical comment about celebrity worship of the wealthy.

A software engineer does not live out a middle class life. More like and upper class life. Unless you think $150K is middle class....

In the places of tech industry concentration, I'd say $150K is middle-class. Even a thousand miles from Google and Microsoft offices, I don't consider $150K to break out of the upper-middle class. In any case, you don't consider that mega-wealthy, do you?

Second, I highly doubt your counter-factual opinion. Bill Gates was driven to start a company, just like he did before. If the IBM deal had fallen through, he would have started another company, and kept going.

You don't think there are thousands of hard workers who started companies, but who aren't mega-rich? The only thing to distinguish Bill Gates from thousands of others is: Luck. I've already pointed out a few examples of his luck. You have only wishful speculation that he would have still been mega-rich if IBM didn't out-source DOS.

Most of the super wealthy just kept going until they found something that worked.

Your thinking is completely backwards. We could be talking about lottery winners and you would be proudly declaring their virtue of continuing buying lottery tickets until they won, and insisting they won because of persistence, not luck. Yet, there are millions of persisted lottery ticket buyers who don't win. The only thing that distinguishes the lottery winner from the persistent loser is luck.

Phil Robertson was literally laughed out of the store, when he first started trying to sell his duck callers. But he kept going. He was laughed out of the store again. He kept going. He kept trying to sell his duck callers until some stores started selling them.

1) Being lucky enough to be chosen for a cable show is what make Robertson wealthy, not his duck whistle.
2) Being lucky enough to have a single idea to allegedly improve a duck whistle is what made a better duck whistle, if it were better (the patent expired long before he was wealthy).
3) Being lucky enough tap into the public's fickleness and becoming a big celebrity rather than just another guy on a cable show. His merchandise sales follow his celebrity.

Phil Robertson would never of gotten rich trying to sell a duck whistle, no matter how determined he was to sell it.

The more you speak, the more you prove yourself an idiot. Duck Commander was a multi-million dollar company, with revenues of over $20 Million, in 2010. The Duck Dynasty series didn't start until 2012.

Phil Robertson was a multi-millionaire before he was ever put on TV in any capacity.

"We could be talking about lottery winners"

Only a moron would compare the two.

"Joel Olsteen was a parenthetical comment about celebrity worship of the wealthy."

No it's not. I don't know anyone who even knows who he is. If I go to work, and ask people who Joel Olsteen is, not a single one will even recognize the name. If that's your idea of celebrity worship, then apparently the worshipers is a very small crowd. I only know his name because I'm in the Evangelical Christian community.

"You don't think there are thousands of hard workers who started companies, but who aren't mega-rich?"

Mega-Rich? Or rich? Not everyone who starts their own company is "mega-rich" if you define that as billionaires.

But if you mean rich... and successful.... yeah most are.

The exceptions would be people who started a business, and it failed, and they just gave up. Well giving up excludes you from the hard working category. If you fail, and just give up, that isn't working hard.

Working hard means when you face failure, you try again. And fail, and try again. Until you succeed.

I worked for a guy who was an immigrant from Egypt. He opened a company here in my home town. His first company failed. He tried again. Another company failed. He tried again. This time he was successful, and moving thousands of dollars in product every single week. He drove a Mercedes, and had a upper-middle class home, worth over $200K, and made good coin.

That wasn't luck, that was working hard, and putting in effort, until he found something that worked.

"If hard work equals success then failure proves that your premise is false"

Wrong. Failure is a fact of life. Working hard, means working through failure until you succeed. Those that fail, and only fail, do so because they quit, or they never learn. If you keep doing stupid, and never learn to do better than stupid, that's not working hard, that's working dumb.

Anyone can achieve success if they keep trying, and work smart. I know guys that run their own trucking company. They started off learning to drive truck, then working for a company for $30K a year. Now they have their own trucking company, and make $200K a year.

It wasn't brilliance. It wasn't luck. They saved money, instead of spending it, and bought their own truck. Then they saved money instead of spending it, and bought a second truck, and hired someone to drive it. Then they saved money and bought a third, an fourth. And when of the guys crashed the truck, he saved and bought a truck to replace it.

It's not luck. And failure didn't stop them, they simply worked through the failure.

You are still wrong.

Why aren't many hard-working persistent people mega rich? I already told you they were not as lucky intelligent persistent and hard-working As those who became mega rich now that you know that do you feel silly?
Einstein failed 69 times before he invented the Lightbulb. How come he's not rich?

Hard working isn't good enough to be rich. Luck isn't good enough to stay rich. Ruthless, selfish, self absorbed, are skills that make you rich.

No, I completely disagree. Starting over isn't buying a lottery ticket. Success isn't just luck. Success is a function of trying things, learning from mistakes, and pressing forward until something works.

Failure isn't a random chance. Failure is what people learn from, to succeed in the future.

See, if every single time that a person tried, they were simply flipped coins in the air, and determined what to try based on random chance, then I would agree with you. It would be like buying a lottery ticket. If every business owner came up with their business plan, by drawing notes from a hat... ok I'm with you.

But that isn't how it works, and you know this.

Instead most people learn what they need to know to succeed, from their failures.

Hienz didn't just magically know how to make a successful Ketchup company. Hienz didn't pull his business plan out of a hat, or draw lucky numbers. He wasn't putting ideas up on a dart board, blind folding himself, and just using whatever idea he hit with a dart.

Hienz was successful only because he learned from all those past failures.

So in truth, all of those "failures" where actually all part of his success story. I thought it was Buffet who said this, but maybe it was someone else "Behind every successful man there's a lot of unsuccessful years".

Failure isn't usually luck. It's a lack of experience and wisdom in how to achieve success. Success isn't luck. It the wisdom and knowledge of failures, that guide you to success.

So, no, you are still wrong. It's not like just buying lottery tickets. It is not just random chance. Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that some amount of chance plays a part. But it isn't just random chance. Every failure is a learning tool, to achieve success later. Every success is a culmination of the wisdom gained from previous failures, being put into practice.

It is not... a lottery ticket. You are wrong. Sorry... wrong.

Ruthless, selfish, self absorbed, are skills that make you rich.
that of course is very stupid illiterate and liberal. To just survive under capitalism you must love and please your customers and employees more than anyone in the world.
Try starting a business and being ruthless selfish etc. Do you have the IQ to predict how long you would last? See why we are positive that liberalism is based in pure ignorance? Is any other conclusion possible?

No, I completely disagree. Starting over isn't buying a lottery ticket. Success isn't just luck. Success is a function of trying things, learning from mistakes, and pressing forward until something works.

Failure isn't a random chance. Failure is what people learn from, to succeed in the future.

See, if every single time that a person tried, they were simply flipped coins in the air, and determined what to try based on random chance, then I would agree with you. It would be like buying a lottery ticket. If every business owner came up with their business plan, by drawing notes from a hat... ok I'm with you.

But that isn't how it works, and you know this.

Instead most people learn what they need to know to succeed, from their failures.

Hienz didn't just magically know how to make a successful Ketchup company. Hienz didn't pull his business plan out of a hat, or draw lucky numbers. He wasn't putting ideas up on a dart board, blind folding himself, and just using whatever idea he hit with a dart.

Hienz was successful only because he learned from all those past failures.

So in truth, all of those "failures" where actually all part of his success story. I thought it was Buffet who said this, but maybe it was someone else "Behind every successful man there's a lot of unsuccessful years".

Failure isn't usually luck. It's a lack of experience and wisdom in how to achieve success. Success isn't luck. It the wisdom and knowledge of failures, that guide you to success.

So, no, you are still wrong. It's not like just buying lottery tickets. It is not just random chance. Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that some amount of chance plays a part. But it isn't just random chance. Every failure is a learning tool, to achieve success later. Every success is a culmination of the wisdom gained from previous failures, being put into practice.

It is not... a lottery ticket. You are wrong. Sorry... wrong.

but its better if its just luck to a liberal. then he has a perfect excuse for his personal failure: he just wasn't lucky!!! and we need a lib nazi govt to redistribute what people got due to dumb luck!!

Forum List

Back