The Global Warming Diet

red states rule

May 30, 2006
It just getting better and better. The enviro wackos keep providing more good material

Diet vows to thin carbon footprint
By Jennifer Harper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
June 12, 2007

Attention chubby do-gooders, and maybe Al Gore. The global warming diet is here.
Food choice affects climate change, says San Francisco chef Laura Stec, who has penned -- yes -- "The Global Warming Diet" with Eugene Cordero, a professor of meteorology at San Jose State University.
The 250-page book is full of vegetarian fare, guides for relevant "discussion" parties, a few inconvenient truths and a cowcatcher full of scientific claims from the Union of Concerned Scientists, the United Nations and other sources.
"One of the most positive effects you can have on the environment begins on your dinner plate," said Miss Stec, who calls her diet "global cooling cuisine."
It's that confounded carbon footprint that matters, not so much fat content or dreaded carbs, apparently. It takes 10 times more fossil fuel to produce a calorie of meat than a calorie of plant protein, Miss Stec said, a fact she gleaned from a 2006 U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization report.
Flatulent cows and methane-producing manure piles contribute to 18 percent of all greenhouse gases, the report said, the equivalent of 33 million cars on the nation's roadways. The authors also have figured out how much raw material goes into the making of a big, juicy hamburger: 11 pounds of grain and 2,500 gallons of water.
Meanwhile, most ignore the fact that meals often are comprised of long-distance foods.
"The average meal travels 1,500 miles to get to your dinner plate," the authors write, tracing the routes of vegetables from Western fields to Midwestern food brokers to grocers.
"All this moving about adds 'food miles' to dinner and greenhouse gases to the environment," they said.
The book, which will be published later this year, already has competition. Nutritionists at Britain's University of Wales have developed a weeklong eco-diet with low food mileage, less processing and no red meat or chocolate, which they say have "a high impact" on the environment.
The District-based Center for Science in the Public Interest offers "Six Arguments for a Greener Diet," which advocates vegetarianism in the name of healthy living, not to mention less "food poisoning, water pollution, air pollution, global warming, and animal suffering," says author and CSPI director Michael Jacobson.
He figures that Americans consume more than 1 billion pounds -- and 1 trillion calories -- of food each day.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070611-104522-5864r.htm

When I get to be a middle-aged man, I anticipate visiting used book stores and buying rubbish like this for pennies on the dollar. It will seem as quaint and laughable as the ads for quack medical cures you see in the back of Harper's Weekly from the 1890's. They will make a great conversation piece to hand down to my grandkids, and a nice example of how junk science can replace real science. No one their age will remember the great global warming scare of course; by that time the youngsters will all be in a scare about the dangers of teleportation or wireless power transmission or some such thing. You'll tell them about the similarly hyped global warming theories, and they simply won't believe you (because it won't be mentioned in government-school history), until you show them the books.

When I get to be a middle-aged man, I anticipate visiting used book stores and buying rubbish like this for pennies on the dollar. It will seem as quaint and laughable as the ads for quack medical cures you see in the back of Harper's Weekly from the 1890's. They will make a great conversation piece to hand down to my grandkids, and a nice example of how junk science can replace real science. No one their age will remember the great global warming scare of course; by that time the youngsters will all be in a scare about the dangers of teleportation or wireless power transmission or some such thing. You'll tell them about the similarly hyped global warming theories, and they simply won't believe you (because it won't be mentioned in government-school history), until you show them the books.

But there will be plenty of fools that will buy the book - probablt the same ones who bought Al's Assault on the Truth

Forum List

Back