The Fourth Worst Drop In Dow History!

The way I see it:

The Corona virus was detected in US land: The Dow went down immediately.

President Trump proposes trillion dollars incentive for economy. The Dow went up immediately.

The money was not out to declare loses and neither in to declare earnings, but the Dow's reaction seems to be in accord of the political situation of the moment instead of trade according to offer and demand.

If no incentive economic package passes the Senate, the Dow will go down regardless of the several offer and demand to maintain it in good status.

Or those trade people are a bunch of manipulators or they just need a good psychiatrist.

Maybe shutting down the DOW etc etc might help???

No, in fact that breeds bad behavior.

You can't shut down the "DOW", as the DOW is nothing but a collection of stocks.

So I think what you mean is, why don't we shut down the stock market.

Well the reason we don't, is because you can't.

That's like saying, you are not allowed to buy food.

If I have something to sell, and you have something you wish to buy, and you can't stop it from happening. I can meet you at a rest-stop, and we can make the exchange there.

From the outside, the market appears to be things carefully controlled thing, that you have to buy and sell stocks through a computer, or the stock market floor.

The reality is, stocks are just like anything else. I could sell you stocks in person.

This is why sometimes you'll hear about a particular stock, or even the market in generally that will open up the next day, typical when their is a fall in prices. Meaning that investors, knowing that the price will fall the following day, will sell off stocks before the market opens.

So you can close down the markets, and then you won't be able to actually see the DOW dropping, because the last publicly known trades will be all the information we have. But outside of the market, stocks will still be traded, and values will still be falling, if they are falling. Or rising if they are rising.

If the value of something is going down, turning off the TV, or shutting down the markets, doesn't make the value magically stay the same.
If you shutdown the US stock market, people would just trade their shares abroad.

Right. Stocks are just like anything else. It's like selling a car. I can trade you my car, or sell my car to you, with or without using a professional listing service.

Yes, listing services are great, and faster. But I could list my car on Craigslist, or even put a public post on Facebook, or Twitter, or Instagram.

If the car I have to sell, is unwanted, or has reduced demand, shutting down the official listing service for car sales might hide the drop in price... but can't stop it, anymore than you can stop me from selling my car.

It's a bit like gun control honestly, because I can meet someone at a rest stop, and hand them $100, and they hand me a gun. I know this because I have relatives who have done exactly that.

You can't prevent the sale of property. Heck, we can't even stop the sale of illegal material like Heroin. So why would you think you can stop stock sales, that are fundamentally legal?

It's ridiculous :)

Last edited:
The way I see it:

The Corona virus was detected in US land: The Dow went down immediately.

President Trump proposes trillion dollars incentive for economy. The Dow went up immediately.

The money was not out to declare loses and neither in to declare earnings, but the Dow's reaction seems to be in accord of the political situation of the moment instead of trade according to offer and demand.

If no incentive economic package passes the Senate, the Dow will go down regardless of the several offer and demand to maintain it in good status.

Or those trade people are a bunch of manipulators or they just need a good psychiatrist.

No, I would disagree with that.

You are confusing short term reactionism, with long term systemic changes.

The market is neither a bunch of manipulators, nor in need of psychiatrists.

The market is made up of people, and all people have two different sides to their mental faculties. All people have a short term reactionism, and all people have a long term logical thinking.

All people do this. This is why if you have a family where they had a sudden death, financial counselors will often say, stop... grieve for a bit, and then carefully consider what choices to make about estates and such, after you have had some time to recover.

The difference with the stock market, is that there is no way to separate out logical calculated actions, from short term reactions.

You don't know when the market takes a dive, if the reason the market is diving is because people are seeing systemic problems, or if there is simply a gut reaction to some event.

People were tossing around this lock down state, and how everyone was going to sit at home, without making an income. Well that results in profit loss, and profit loss results in declining values for shares. Naturally people are going to sell off.

Equally when these companies start posting their profits, and investors can see that the measures did, or did not, have the negative impact they suspected, then you'll see further adjustments in share prices, generally proportional to the loss.

Equally when Trump says the government is doing thus and so to help, then people assume it will help, and prices rise. This is normal.

My gut... says that when these quarterly results come out, that the damage will not be nearly as bad as people think, and the market will bounce back.

If not, then the market will stay depressed until we stop with the all the lock down and controls, and then the market will bounce back.

2352 point drop. 9.99 percent. Those are very big numbers. Nobody's ever seen that before. Some people are saying Trump is an idiot. Fake news! Fake news![/trumpmode]

Dow plunges 10% amid coronavirus fears for its worst day since the 1987 market crash
democrats holding the stimulus bill hostage for things that have nothing to do with helping those hurt by the virus but yet you seem to be blame the president
FUCK YOU COCK SUCKER
You dumbfuck, there's no miney left to hand out. This country is broke.
you dumbfuck must think there is why would you support a democrat if you didn't think that?
Because I'm not a brain-dead moron like you.
no you are far worse you are stupid by choice you are willfully ignorant because you are a lazy piece of shit wanting the government to take care of your ignorant worthless piece of shit ass.
Aside from your struggles with punctuation, in what way am I wanting the government to take care of me? Could you be more rightarded?? I doubt it.
Retard I really don't give a fuck just for one reason it's a discussion board
Why do you support the democrats since they look to take from those who have and give to those who don't have?
LOL

At least you admit you're a flaming imbecile who can't actually articulate how I want the government to take care of me after asserting such an asinine observation.

And I already explained why I support Democrats over Republicans. You proved me right when I said it's because I'm not a brain-dead moron like you -- who still doesn't understand that answer.
retard, your dodge was noted since I try to not follow retards I don't know what in the fuck you're talking about. Retard I know the history and agenda of the democrat party as well as you should know it. They like to keep people dependent on the government why in the fuck would someone who believes themselves to be smart support enslavers like that?
FUCKING STUPID SON OF A BITCH
LOLOL

You don't know what I'm talking about because you're incapable of understanding my posts, even though they're right in front of your face. You should be happy instead of being such a miserable lunatic. Today was a great day for the stock market.
Moron, what part of I don't follow retards and wouldn't know what your position is for and against the republicans don't you comprehend?
Again, all you're doing now is admitting you're an imbecile who posts from ignorance about things he knows nothing about. You literally claimed I want the government to take care of me; and when pressed, were forced to admit you made that bullshit up. In reality, today was a good day for me as my 401K went up.
Deep State insider, are we? LMAO!

cv-19

forte is will
you cannot see them
attaching frill
their multiples grim
until they kill

their defeat
seems as elusive
as your retreat
from their collusive
undoes repeat

o man their gall
is isolation
as we stall
their congregation
to the wall

shall we win
matching such will
As they spin
poison and swill
into our kin?

o man, the light
prayer and hymn
will make right
their chances dim
being our blight

3/25/20

2352 point drop. 9.99 percent. Those are very big numbers. Nobody's ever seen that before. Some people are saying Trump is an idiot. Fake news! Fake news![/trumpmode]

Dow plunges 10% amid coronavirus fears for its worst day since the 1987 market crash
democrats holding the stimulus bill hostage for things that have nothing to do with helping those hurt by the virus but yet you seem to be blame the president
FUCK YOU COCK SUCKER
You dumbfuck, there's no miney left to hand out. This country is broke.
you dumbfuck must think there is why would you support a democrat if you didn't think that?
Because I'm not a brain-dead moron like you.
no you are far worse you are stupid by choice you are willfully ignorant because you are a lazy piece of shit wanting the government to take care of your ignorant worthless piece of shit ass.
Aside from your struggles with punctuation, in what way am I wanting the government to take care of me? Could you be more rightarded?? I doubt it.
Retard I really don't give a fuck just for one reason it's a discussion board
Why do you support the democrats since they look to take from those who have and give to those who don't have?
LOL

At least you admit you're a flaming imbecile who can't actually articulate how I want the government to take care of me after asserting such an asinine observation.

And I already explained why I support Democrats over Republicans. You proved me right when I said it's because I'm not a brain-dead moron like you -- who still doesn't understand that answer.
retard, your dodge was noted since I try to not follow retards I don't know what in the fuck you're talking about. Retard I know the history and agenda of the democrat party as well as you should know it. They like to keep people dependent on the government why in the fuck would someone who believes themselves to be smart support enslavers like that?
FUCKING STUPID SON OF A BITCH
LOLOL

You don't know what I'm talking about because you're incapable of understanding my posts, even though they're right in front of your face. You should be happy instead of being such a miserable lunatic. Today was a great day for the stock market.
Moron, what part of I don't follow retards and wouldn't know what your position is for and against the republicans don't you comprehend?
Again, all you're doing now is admitting you're an imbecile who posts from ignorance about things he knows nothing about. You literally claimed I want the government to take care of me; and when pressed, were forced to admit you made that bullshit up. In reality, today was a good day for me as my 401K went up.
Deep State insider, are we? LMAO!
Children always believe they should have people paying attention to them.

Forum List

Back