The equal pay for women debate is Washington BS!

I just lost my Dentist. She was good, too.

She got pregnant (should have used her head) and decided she didn't want to be a Dentist anymore and is going to stay home and let her Realtor Husband support her.

Good for her.

I'm also losing a VA Doctor. A good one. Pretty, too.

Her husband is some kind of highly successful Corporate Nomad and she got tired of following him from one place to another, looking for a job she can live with so -- She's retiring. At 35.

Good on her.

But bad on the Country.

Dentists and Doctors are hard to come by. They don't grow on trees.

And it's hard work to become one. REAL hard work.

And expensive -- REAL expensive. Not just for the Doctor or Dentist individually, but for the Community and the government that is subsidizing the Universities they have to attend.

Now, the Country is short two HIGHLY Trained, HIGHLY Educated Physicians because -- They just don't wanna play anymore.

Do I blame either of them? Nope. Not a bit but I WILL tell you this (and I told both of them) --

They took a slot away from a Man that would have STAYED in the profession for decades -- Not a few years and then decide it made their pussy hurt.

Some Suzy Cream Cheese wants to go to College to get her BA in Women's Studies or Social Sciences, or something completely a waste of time (what they're really for is an "Mrs Degree')...... ??

Good on them. But don't go to College, take up a limited spot for an Advacned Degree then decide you really don't want to work that hard and stay at home.

THAT'S bullshit.

I have NO tolerance for women that complain they're underpaid.

None
I do, just last night I was working on this one molding machine and notice this little girl operator was running the one in front of me and running the one.behind me
That's rare.

When I worked in a factory for 8 years each line had a female that took the Summer off for medical reasons. When the workload dropped back at the end of the peak season they came back to work.

While in the military women were often sick during PT. When they did show up, rarely did they ever keep up with the rest of us, even when we were running a slow paced Airborne Shuffle.
unfortunately I never enlisted so I don't know about that. But being in manufacturing the past 30 years, the hardest low paid operators have been women, yea they all got paid the same, but the girls always gave a damn , the guys attitude has always been if you pay me like crap I will work like crap.

Equal pay for women or equal pay to somebody is just a myth!
Democratic or republican government can't exist in the world where everybody is equal, but now, when Heads of states and many officials earn more money than ever...
Yes, this is more of a class warfare issue than one of gender. Simply bailing out the wealthiest and letting it trickle down is not very effective as an "oil pump" for our political-economy.

I believe we should be reserving labor on an at-will basis, at the rock bottom cost of a form of minimum wage to solve for a Natural Rate of Unemployment (and that lack of full employment of resources), in order to prime the pump.

Your all right about the women not lasting long but I love the new ones because I know they will work as hard and smart as the ones that left.

With guy operators it is like finding a diamond in the ruff

There's nothing to debate.

Equal pay for equal work, across the board, for everyone.
Earlier this month, I picked up a load in PA, met a truck driver from a different company than mine, we were hauling the exact same freight, 18 pallets, same weight, same route, same destination. He was making 3 cents a mile less than me, with more experience than I have.

After talking to him, I called his company and applied for a job, i'll be flying to Baltimore Monday for orientation, i'll make 3 cents a mile less, and get home every weekend. The new company is 100 percent drop n hook, so no loading and unloading waiting time, and several other reasons that i prefer the new company. That is all my choice, to make less money, because the situation fits me better.

Equal pay for equal work is a non issue, because every person is on a different agenda with their own life.
And AGAIN that is not an example as EQUAL WORK.... you explained the differences really well....and I appreciate this learning curve of your trade being explained to us novices.... like me!

I would not expect pay to be the same in those circumstances and every industry can have examples of different levels of services that require more pay for one worker over another.....

I can see how difficult the term EQUAL pay for EQUAL WORK may be to define....

Hold on...I'm on my Kindle and it's hard to type....

Be right back, switching to my laptop.
That's a meaningless phrase. What constitutes equal work? And what if the person doesn't want/need equal pay? A secondary earner in a 2 income family will not need and would be satisfied at a lower pay rate than a main earner. So why would it make sense to pay a person willing to take less "equal pay"?

If a particular job in your company gets around $40,000/year, and you have an applicant who asks for $30,000, it would be stupid to offer them more. If s/he is happy with $30k, give him/her $30k. That is, by definition, fair, since it's what is asked for. To pay more on some vague principle of abstract fairness is ridiculous and patronizing.
I disagree.....no woman in her right mind would say, I know the job pays 40k but please pay me just 30k....I'll be happy with 10k less.....
But what if she doesn't know it usually pays 40 and asks for 30k because that's a level she's content with? Or, what if, for whatever reasons, she decides that that's the minimum or slightly above the minimum to be worth her while and asks for that in order to undercut competitors who want more?

I contend that NO ONE is HAPPY being paid much less for the exact same work!!!
If that were true, then nobody would accept a job except at the highest salary paid. If someone accepts a salary, then they are happy with that salary, or they wouldn't have accepted it (there are particular exceptions, of course)
All of that is shaky ground...why should an employer even think about paying her less just because she doesn't know the going rate is X-amount?
Why should an employer even think about paying someone more then s/he asks for???? As a business owner, you want to get the most revenue with the lowest costs. Sometimes that means higher costs to get greater productivity, but all other things being equal, you should pay the least you can.

What is fair and competitive pay for the position should be paid..
Again...is it unfair to pay someone the salary s/he asks for? It doesn't make any difference what anyone else makes.

.just because she is a female should NOT be the reason to pay her less for equal work....or just because she or he is black, should not be the reason for offering less money for the position's salary... or just because the worker is a white male should not be the reason for an employer paying more...for the equal work?
I haven't said otherwise. Look...a man and a woman with equal abilities, experience, education, etc that are about the average for new employees, apply for the same job that pays an average starting salary of $40,000/year.
It would be discrimination to offer one more than the other based on sex.
It would NOT be discrimination to pay them what they ask for, even if one asks for $35,000 and the other for $45,000.

I don't know how this could be regulated, so I am not jumping for joy over the idea, but I wish that all of this discrimination just didn't take place....
While discrimination certainly does occur, there are so many different factors involved that "equal pay for equal work" is impossible to quantify.
The last corporation that I worked for, there was no possibility of paying a female or black or Hispanic or male less than the other guy/gal, to any degree, for equal work....the positions had defined pay grades and each level had several grades for the average position in the company and human resources spent some time each year to also compare these positions and their pay, to similar jobs in the industry, to make certain they were competitive. The only jobs where the employee could even give an argument for a raise or more money were the executive positions or even being given the Question, of ''... how much would you like to get paid for this position'' of which I learned to ask right back, how much are you willing to pay?? Or just gave them a figure of 20k-40k more than what I would think it would pay....
That's clever ,I am going to have to remember that one, I normaly low ball myself because I want to get out of my last company so bad. I always feel in the 90 day probation period most companys have ,I walk the walk and blow them away with what I know and how hard I work, then instead of getting a 3 or 4 dollar raise when hired on , I get a $ 10 or $12 dollar plus raise :)

The Department of Labor, and even the feminists of HuffPo, have debunked the pay gap myth. People still keep spreading it for the same reason they spread all the feminists' mythology.

The problem with "equal pay for equal work" is that men generally are a hell of a lot stronger than women.
I dunno. You ever had a baby? Most jobs, esp high paying ones, dont involve physical strength.
A significant percentage of jobs do involve physical strength and stamina. For instance, in my trade there are no women. They simply are not strong enough.

And even female dominated professions like nursing can involve physical strength. For instance, caring for an immobile patient. Moving a fat assed diabetic does require strength.

Also, males are generally more intelligent than females, although that's only by a slight and waning margin.

Last edited:
The Department of Labor, and even the feminists of HuffPo, have debunked the pay gap myth. People still keep spreading it for the same reason they spread all the feminists' mythology.
So you don't believe care4sll posts in this thread?

I do

Because I know it's true after being in manufacturing for 30 years

Your all right about the women not lasting long but I love the new ones because I know they will work as hard and smart as the ones that left.

Are new guy truck drivers not as ambitious and proactive as new chic drivers?
Yea, I figured out some poster like you, Wouldn't know Sarcasm

The problem with "equal pay for equal work" is that men generally are a hell of a lot stronger than women.
I dunno. You ever had a baby? Most jobs, esp high paying ones, dont involve physical strength.
A significant percentage of jobs do involve physical strength and stamina. For instance, in my trade there are no women. They simply are not strong enough.

And even female dominated professions like nursing can involve physical strength. For instance, caring for an immobile patient. Moving a fat assed diabetic does require strength.

Also, males are generally more intelligent than females, although that's only by a slight and waning margin.
A certain number of low skill low pay jobs do rely on physical strength and tend to go to dumb oxes who have trouble with langugage.
What did you say you did?
But most jobs are not like that. And what are the percentages of male vs female nurses?

The notion that women are underpaied is bunk though. If anything they are overpaid, as managers dont want to be sued.

Are new guy truck drivers not as ambitious and proactive as new chic drivers?
Yea, I figured out some poster like you, Wouldn't know Sarcasm
sorry about that; i wasn't sure and didn't pay that much attention; so i asked for clarification. thanks.

A certain number of low skill low pay jobs do rely on physical strength and tend to go to dumb oxes who have trouble with langugage.
LOL

I'm a cement mason by trade.

Strong /= dumb. The fact of the matter is that physical fitness is correlated with higher intelligence. And so is physical attractiveness.

People who claim that physically strong and/or physically attractive people are dumb are usually weak and/or ugly idiots.

LOL

Strong /= dumb. The fact of the matter is that physical fitness is correlated with higher intelligence. And so is physical attractiveness.

People who claim that physically strong and/or physically attractive people are dumb are usually weak and/or ugly idiots.
I believe he threw in "dumb" because he was referring to those that take low skill jobs thtat require strength.....

LOL

Thats why Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and about half the top CEOs in this country are all marathon winners, right Sparky.
Anyway, this is just a deflection from the OP so I'm done with it.

LOL

I believe he threw in "dumb" because he was referring to those that take low skill jobs thtat require strength.....
Skill and strength go hand in hand.

LOL

Why are you setting yourself up?

How many dumb blond jokes or the stupid Jock are out there?

How many redneck jokes are out there? And on and on...

Truth be told I learned alot from every one on this planet earth, that I met in my 49 years, I was never afraid to befriend them and listen from what they had to say or not say, if you bothered to look into their eyes

LOL

Skill and strength go hand in hand.
Lmao

No

Work smart not hard

Learn leverage or ask.for help

Work smart not hard
Those who are not idiots know that it's not an either/or proposition.

In other words, your attempted argument is a false dichotomy logical fallacy because a person can work both smart and hard at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive terms.

Your logic fails!

Work smart not hard
Those who are not idiots know that it's not an either/or proposition.

In other words, your attempted argument is a false dichotomy logical fallacy because a person can work both smart and hard at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive terms.

Your logic fails!
That logic has been correct for at least 6,000.years moron

Forum List

Back