The equal pay for women debate is Washington BS!

Equal pay for EQUAL WORK.....

If your experience makes you more valuable....then you get paid more..... but new women truck drivers should not be paid less than New men truck drivers with no experience....just because they are female.
Doesn't happen, why is it you leftist push a false narrative like it's fact? any company could be sued for that
I LIVED IT...so please stop with your bull crud.

There's nothing to debate.

Equal pay for equal work, across the board, for everyone.
That's a meaningless phrase. What constitutes equal work? And what if the person doesn't want/need equal pay? A secondary earner in a 2 income family will not need and would be satisfied at a lower pay rate than a main earner. So why would it make sense to pay a person willing to take less "equal pay"?

If a particular job in your company gets around $40,000/year, and you have an applicant who asks for $30,000, it would be stupid to offer them more. If s/he is happy with $30k, give him/her $30k. That is, by definition, fair, since it's what is asked for. To pay more on some vague principle of abstract fairness is ridiculous and patronizing.
I disagree.....no woman in her right mind would say, I know the job pays 40k but please pay me just 30k....I'll be happy with 10k less.....
But what if she doesn't know it usually pays 40 and asks for 30k because that's a level she's content with? Or, what if, for whatever reasons, she decides that that's the minimum or slightly above the minimum to be worth her while and asks for that in order to undercut competitors who want more?

I contend that NO ONE is HAPPY being paid much less for the exact same work!!!
If that were true, then nobody would accept a job except at the highest salary paid. If someone accepts a salary, then they are happy with that salary, or they wouldn't have accepted it (there are particular exceptions, of course)

If we are talking truck driving no way wowen sould be getting equal pay, for the.obvious reasons:
1. They spend way to much time in the bathroom, talking to strangers about stupid shit, they could take 4 hours to 4 days latter to deliver a load compared to a guy

2. They drive to slow

3. They suck at driving

That's a meaningless phrase. What constitutes equal work? And what if the person doesn't want/need equal pay? A secondary earner in a 2 income family will not need and would be satisfied at a lower pay rate than a main earner. So why would it make sense to pay a person willing to take less "equal pay"?

If a particular job in your company gets around $40,000/year, and you have an applicant who asks for $30,000, it would be stupid to offer them more. If s/he is happy with $30k, give him/her $30k. That is, by definition, fair, since it's what is asked for. To pay more on some vague principle of abstract fairness is ridiculous and patronizing.
I disagree.....no woman in her right mind would say, I know the job pays 40k but please pay me just 30k....I'll be happy with 10k less.....

Maybe at the CEO level she may be willing to do the job for 50 million vs 60 million for the male version......but I even doubt that Pinqy...

Like I said, it depends on what someone wants out of their job. Perhaps the woman working for 30k wants to be home on weekends, and has that, in her job deal, where as the man works every weekend.

All I am saying, is that the numbers are skewed. Because every situation is different.
but again THAT is not an example of equal pay for equal work, if a deal is worked where she does not have to work weekends or whatever, vs the counterpart worker having to do more and being paid more for doing more.

Is there such a thing as equal work?

Can people actually do equal work?

If a man gets to work and clocks in 645(supposedly to be there at 7) and clocks out at 315(with an out time of 3) and another man clocks in at 705 and out at 255, both men doing the same job, there is a 20 minute a day difference in their paychecks.

Now it might be that the man working shorter time, is acutally producing more than the man staying longer, but the man staying longer is making more money, for doing the same job.

Like I have said, every situation is different, and no job can be done identically by anyone other than computers and robots.
Well, I am not the type to sue, just gave me incentive to work harder...

And my story is JUST THE OPPOSITE, where I was the one on salary working 50 hours a week, and I was the one who had a 27% increase over the previous year, where a man was the Manager of the Business, who worked only 40 hours a week, and left the second 5 pm came around, and I was the one who made the company more profit than the male manager before me, and I was the one who had a perfect Inventory with NO shortages, while the male manager before me had a 2% loss, and I was paid several thousand dollars less than him.... this happened 3 times in a row, with this company...they promoted me to larger stores and larger stores as a manager, replacing their male managers, doing one hell of a job BETTER than the previous managers EVER could, and was paid less than them each and every time....but I bit my tongue and just worked harder.... I wanted to be a Buyer, there were no female buyers for this corporation that I worked for, but I wanted to be one, so help me God, I wanted it so badly...I told everyone at the corporate head quarters, heck, I even told the truck driver who delivered my department's goods...I told the president o the Company and anyone that would listen, that I wanted to be a Buyer.... And I busted my butt, year after year, giving them increases in sales and in profit, till finally the positioned opened...a male buyer was going to work or our sister company in Texas.... I interviewed with the vice president and he turned me down for the job...thought I was too young or "just a 24 yr old female, what did I know?" ( IS WHAT HE ACTUALLY used to say to me every day on the job....)

Well I went to the President, over this vp that was hiring's head, and told the President that I wanted this job...that I KNEW I could do it and be good at it.....

AND THANK GOD, the president had only two daughters and no sons and showed some compassion or could empathize and went and spoke to the vp and TOLD the vp, to HIRE me for the Buyer's job....and told the VP that "Anyone that wants a job as much as I wanted the job, deserves the chance"...

And they DID hire me, at 20% less than they paid the previous male (green) Buyer....and I was the Best Buyer they ever had...

I still stuck it out...not because I was Happy being paid less, but because I was grateful for the opportunity that all females before me, never had....

It was almost 10 years later, when it finally paid off...when the VP Merchandiser left the Company to go work for someone else, he recommended to the President of the Company, that I take his place...he didn't recommend any of the male buyers for the position....but me. SO FINALLY I was making more than them....

I think things have changed since way back when, and it is not as difficult as it was in my heyday... but I do believe these things may still be happening to a degree...

I don't know if I would have been better off not going through those struggles, it gave determination I had no idea I even had....it strengthened me, that I know.

Not good. Your point?

You're trying to cite one city thriving as a positive retrospective affirmation of Bush's decision to invade Iraq. You are committing the converse accident fallacy. You are taking the exception, and holding it up as if it were the general. Iraq, by and large, is much worse off since Saddam Hussein was deposed.

Actually, if you read the OP more carefully, you'd know I'm not trying to talk up Bush. I'm actually slamming the liberal p.o.v that the Iraq War was a total waste. So, maybe you should read more and tout pretentious fallacies that don't apply less.

Also, I wouldn't say 'Iraq is by and large worse off since Saddam Hussein was deposed.' If Southern Iraq is worse though it's cos Obama cut and ran. And it certainly doesn't help that Obama armed the Syrian rebels either while offering no support to the peace loving Kurds.

Maybe at the CEO level she may be willing to do the job for 50 million vs 60 million for the male version......but I even doubt that Pinqy...

Like I said, it depends on what someone wants out of their job. Perhaps the woman working for 30k wants to be home on weekends, and has that, in her job deal, where as the man works every weekend.

All I am saying, is that the numbers are skewed. Because every situation is different.
but again THAT is not an example of equal pay for equal work, if a deal is worked where she does not have to work weekends or whatever, vs the counterpart worker having to do more and being paid more for doing more.

Is there such a thing as equal work?

Can people actually do equal work?

If a man gets to work and clocks in 645(supposedly to be there at 7) and clocks out at 315(with an out time of 3) and another man clocks in at 705 and out at 255, both men doing the same job, there is a 20 minute a day difference in their paychecks.

Now it might be that the man working shorter time, is acutally producing more than the man staying longer, but the man staying longer is making more money, for doing the same job.

Like I have said, every situation is different, and no job can be done identically by anyone other than computers and robots.
Well, I am not the type to sue, just gave me incentive to work harder...

And my story is JUST THE OPPOSITE, where I was the one on salary working 50 hours a week, and I was the one who had a 27% increase over the previous year, where a man was the Manager of the Business, who worked only 40 hours a week, and left the second 5 pm came around, and I was the one who made the company more profit than the male manager before me, and I was the one who had a perfect Inventory with NO shortages, while the male manager before me had a 2% loss, and I was paid several thousand dollars less than him.... this happened 3 times in a row, with this company...they promoted me to larger stores and larger stores as a manager, replacing their male managers, doing one hell of a job BETTER than the previous managers EVER could, and was paid less than them each and every time....but I bit my tongue and just worked harder.... I wanted to be a Buyer, there were no female buyers for this corporation that I worked for, but I wanted to be one, so help me God, I wanted it so badly...I told everyone at the corporate head quarters, heck, I even told the truck driver who delivered my department's goods...I told the president o the Company and anyone that would listen, that I wanted to be a Buyer.... And I busted my butt, year after year, giving them increases in sales and in profit, till finally the positioned opened...a male buyer was going to work or our sister company in Texas.... I interviewed with the vice president and he turned me down for the job...thought I was too young or "just a 24 yr old female, what did I know?" ( IS WHAT HE ACTUALLY used to say to me every day on the job....)

Well I went to the President, over this vp that was hiring's head, and told the President that I wanted this job...that I KNEW I could do it and be good at it.....

AND THANK GOD, the president had only two daughters and no sons and showed some compassion or could empathize and went and spoke to the vp and TOLD the vp, to HIRE me for the Buyer's job....and told the VP that "Anyone that wants a job as much as I wanted the job, deserves the chance"...

And they DID hire me, at 20% less than they paid the previous male (green) Buyer....and I was the Best Buyer they ever had...

I still stuck it out...not because I was Happy being paid less, but because I was grateful for the opportunity that all females before me, never had....

It was almost 10 years later, when it finally paid off...when the VP Merchandiser left the Company to go work for someone else, he recommended to the President of the Company, that I take his place...he didn't recommend any of the male buyers for the position....but me. SO FINALLY I was making more than them....

I think things have changed since way back when, and it is not as difficult as it was in my heyday... but I do believe these things may still be happening to a degree...

I don't know if I would have been better off not going through those struggles, it gave determination I had no idea I even had....it strengthened me, that I know.
Proud of you, thanks for the story

But what if she doesn't know it usually pays 40 and asks for 30k because that's a level she's content with? Or, what if, for whatever reasons, she decides that that's the minimum or slightly above the minimum to be worth her while and asks for that in order to undercut competitors who want more?

If that were true, then nobody would accept a job except at the highest salary paid. If someone accepts a salary, then they are happy with that salary, or they wouldn't have accepted it (there are particular exceptions, of course)
You would have to assume that every single woman did exactly that, and no man ever did the same thing.
It's a fail.
It's one of the biggest lies Democrats tell, that women make ..73 cents for every dollar men make. If that were actually true, why would any greedy eevil corporation ever hire a man?

I just lost my Dentist. She was good, too.

She got pregnant (should have used her head) and decided she didn't want to be a Dentist anymore and is going to stay home and let her Realtor Husband support her.

Good for her.

I'm also losing a VA Doctor. A good one. Pretty, too.

Her husband is some kind of highly successful Corporate Nomad and she got tired of following him from one place to another, looking for a job she can live with so -- She's retiring. At 35.

Good on her.

But bad on the Country.

Dentists and Doctors are hard to come by. They don't grow on trees.

And it's hard work to become one. REAL hard work.

And expensive -- REAL expensive. Not just for the Doctor or Dentist individually, but for the Community and the government that is subsidizing the Universities they have to attend.

Now, the Country is short two HIGHLY Trained, HIGHLY Educated Physicians because -- They just don't wanna play anymore.

Do I blame either of them? Nope. Not a bit but I WILL tell you this (and I told both of them) --

They took a slot away from a Man that would have STAYED in the profession for decades -- Not a few years and then decide it made their pussy hurt.

Some Suzy Cream Cheese wants to go to College to get her BA in Women's Studies or Social Sciences, or something completely a waste of time (what they're really for is an "Mrs Degree')...... ??

Good on them. But don't go to College, take up a limited spot for an Advacned Degree then decide you really don't want to work that hard and stay at home.

THAT'S bullshit.

I have NO tolerance for women that complain they're underpaid.

None

She got pregnant (should have used her head) and decided she didn't want to be a Dentist anymore and is going to stay home and let her Realtor Husband support her.

Good for her.

Her husband is some kind of highly successful Corporate Nomad and she got tired of following him from one place to another, looking for a job she can live with so -- She's retiring. At 35.

Good on her.

But bad on the Country.

And expensive -- REAL expensive. Not just for the Doctor or Dentist individually, but for the Community and the government that is subsidizing the Universities they have to attend.

Now, the Country is short two HIGHLY Trained, HIGHLY Educated Physicians because -- They just don't wanna play anymore.

Do I blame either of them? Nope. Not a bit but I WILL tell you this (and I told both of them) --

They took a slot away from a Man that would have STAYED in the profession for decades -- Not a few years and then decide it made their pussy hurt.

Some Suzy Cream Cheese wants to go to College to get her BA in Women's Studies or Social Sciences, or something completely a waste of time (what they're really for is an "Mrs Degree')...... ??

Good on them. But don't go to College, take up a limited spot for an Advacned Degree then decide you really don't want to work that hard and stay at home.

THAT'S bullshit.

None
I do, just last night I was working on this one molding machine and notice this little girl operator was running the one in front of me and running the one.behind me

All of that is shaky ground...why should an employer even think about paying her less just because she doesn't know the going rate is X-amount? What is fair and competitive pay for the position should be paid...just because she is a female should NOT be the reason to pay her less for equal work....or just because she or he is black, should not be the reason for offering less money for the position's salary... or just because the worker is a white male should not be the reason for an employer paying more...for the equal work?

I don't know how this could be regulated, so I am not jumping for joy over the idea, but I wish that all of this discrimination just didn't take place....

I'll start this out by saying, I am just talking about the truck driving industry. This is the industry that employs more people in this country than any other industry in the country.

I am a truck driver, so I speak from almost 25 years in the industry. When I first started driving a truck, there were very few female truck drivers on the road. Now, there are a great deal more female truck drivers.

Are they paid less on average than male truck drivers? YES

Why are they paid less on average than male truck drivers? Experience

It is unfair to compare a female truck driver with less than a years experience to a male truck driver with over 10 years experience.. The numbers of female truck drivers, fresh out of training, grows every day, and though they may be every bit as good a driver as a male truck driver, they lack the experience that garners the higher pay rates, in the industry. Same thing for male truck drivers fresh out of training, as well.

A driver, such as myself, can make rates as high as 60 cents a mile, working as a company driver, while drivers fresh out of training, are lucky to make half of that, some make as little as 25 cents a mile.

It boils down to insurance rates, with more experience, insurance rates are much cheaper, for truck drivers, with good records, no DUI's, no tickets, and no accidents, and those who know the roads well enough to deliver on time, every time.

The female truck drivers who were driving a truck the same time I started driving a truck, are in the same tax rate as I am, there are just a lot fewer of them, than there are male truck drivers, and the numbers are now messed up, because of the new female drivers coming into the industry.

It's just part of Washington, taking a little bit of the truth, and twisting it to fit their own needs once again, to garner votes, from those less educated, on the real issues.
In my opinion, the debate is a relatively moot point under our form of Capitalism. Can the private sector be "wrong" about compensation in its markets. In my opinion, only the public sector can be more "wrong" through omission of "Perfect Knowledge" of any given Thing; market based metrics are one example. Thus, if the private sector for porn is not "wrong" in compensating women with wages superior to men in that same sector, then, the private sector for non-porn must equally, be as "infallible" regarding the market based metrics available in those markets.

Good for her.

Good on her.

But bad on the Country.

THAT'S bullshit.

None
I do, just last night I was working on this one molding machine and notice this little girl operator was running the one in front of me and running the one.behind me
That's rare.

When I worked in a factory for 8 years each line had a female that took the Summer off for medical reasons. When the workload dropped back at the end of the peak season they came back to work.

While in the military women were often sick during PT. When they did show up, rarely did they ever keep up with the rest of us, even when we were running a slow paced Airborne Shuffle.

Equal pay for women or equal pay to somebody is just a myth!
Democratic or republican government can't exist in the world where everybody is equal, but now, when Heads of states and many officials earn more money than ever...

Continued
Anyways she was busting her add,.I started to help her and noticed a guy operator across the isle with a machine that had a 60 second cycle time, picking his ass so I went and got the lead.operator and asked her "what the fuck is this? You trying to make her quit?, tell that moron to help her"
And she said ok

All of that is shaky ground...why should an employer even think about paying her less just because she doesn't know the going rate is X-amount? What is fair and competitive pay for the position should be paid...just because she is a female should NOT be the reason to pay her less for equal work....or just because she or he is black, should not be the reason for offering less money for the position's salary... or just because the worker is a white male should not be the reason for an employer paying more...for the equal work?

I don't know how this could be regulated, so I am not jumping for joy over the idea, but I wish that all of this discrimination just didn't take place....

Where is the evidence that it is actually taking place? hard, concrete, "Man paid more, woman less, for same exact work done by someone with the same exact qualifications and experience?

The concept that there is even an issue here is based on flawed data. What we have here is another example of "the narrative", where a problem is assumed to exist, even if the information that led to the assumption, is quite frankly, bullshit.

Earlier this month, I picked up a load in PA, met a truck driver from a different company than mine, we were hauling the exact same freight, 18 pallets, same weight, same route, same destination. He was making 3 cents a mile less than me, with more experience than I have.

After talking to him, I called his company and applied for a job, i'll be flying to Baltimore Monday for orientation, i'll make 3 cents a mile less, and get home every weekend. The new company is 100 percent drop n hook, so no loading and unloading waiting time, and several other reasons that i prefer the new company. That is all my choice, to make less money, because the situation fits me better.

Equal pay for equal work is a non issue, because every person is on a different agenda with their own life.
And AGAIN that is not an example as EQUAL WORK.... you explained the differences really well....and I appreciate this learning curve of your trade being explained to us novices.... like me!

I would not expect pay to be the same in those circumstances and every industry can have examples of different levels of services that require more pay for one worker over another.....

I can see how difficult the term EQUAL pay for EQUAL WORK may be to define....

Hold on...I'm on my Kindle and it's hard to type....

Be right back, switching to my laptop.

All of that is shaky ground...why should an employer even think about paying her less just because she doesn't know the going rate is X-amount?
Why should an employer even think about paying someone more then s/he asks for???? As a business owner, you want to get the most revenue with the lowest costs. Sometimes that means higher costs to get greater productivity, but all other things being equal, you should pay the least you can.

What is fair and competitive pay for the position should be paid..
Again...is it unfair to pay someone the salary s/he asks for? It doesn't make any difference what anyone else makes.

.just because she is a female should NOT be the reason to pay her less for equal work....or just because she or he is black, should not be the reason for offering less money for the position's salary... or just because the worker is a white male should not be the reason for an employer paying more...for the equal work?
I haven't said otherwise. Look...a man and a woman with equal abilities, experience, education, etc that are about the average for new employees, apply for the same job that pays an average starting salary of $40,000/year.
It would be discrimination to offer one more than the other based on sex.
It would NOT be discrimination to pay them what they ask for, even if one asks for $35,000 and the other for $45,000.

While discrimination certainly does occur, there are so many different factors involved that "equal pay for equal work" is impossible to quantify.

If we live, as dimocrap scum claim, in a totally Market-Driven, Greedy Capitalist, Corporate-Run society.....

And women get paid 20% less than men for doing the same job.......

Why don't these 'greedy' Capitalists hire only women?

dimocraps are lying scum

Earlier this month, I picked up a load in PA, met a truck driver from a different company than mine, we were hauling the exact same freight, 18 pallets, same weight, same route, same destination. He was making 3 cents a mile less than me, with more experience than I have.

After talking to him, I called his company and applied for a job, i'll be flying to Baltimore Monday for orientation, i'll make 3 cents a mile less, and get home every weekend. The new company is 100 percent drop n hook, so no loading and unloading waiting time, and several other reasons that i prefer the new company. That is all my choice, to make less money, because the situation fits me better.

Equal pay for equal work is a non issue, because every person is on a different agenda with their own life.
And AGAIN that is not an example as EQUAL WORK.... you explained the differences really well....and I appreciate this learning curve of your trade being explained to us novices.... like me!

I would not expect pay to be the same in those circumstances and every industry can have examples of different levels of services that require more pay for one worker over another.....

I can see how difficult the term EQUAL pay for EQUAL WORK may be to define....

Hold on...I'm on my Kindle and it's hard to type....

Be right back, switching to my laptop.

All of that is shaky ground...why should an employer even think about paying her less just because she doesn't know the going rate is X-amount?
Why should an employer even think about paying someone more then s/he asks for???? As a business owner, you want to get the most revenue with the lowest costs. Sometimes that means higher costs to get greater productivity, but all other things being equal, you should pay the least you can.

What is fair and competitive pay for the position should be paid..
Again...is it unfair to pay someone the salary s/he asks for? It doesn't make any difference what anyone else makes.

.just because she is a female should NOT be the reason to pay her less for equal work....or just because she or he is black, should not be the reason for offering less money for the position's salary... or just because the worker is a white male should not be the reason for an employer paying more...for the equal work?
I haven't said otherwise. Look...a man and a woman with equal abilities, experience, education, etc that are about the average for new employees, apply for the same job that pays an average starting salary of $40,000/year.
It would be discrimination to offer one more than the other based on sex.
It would NOT be discrimination to pay them what they ask for, even if one asks for $35,000 and the other for $45,000.

While discrimination certainly does occur, there are so many different factors involved that "equal pay for equal work" is impossible to quantify.
The last corporation that I worked for, there was no possibility of paying a female or black or Hispanic or male less than the other guy/gal, to any degree, for equal work....the positions had defined pay grades and each level had several grades for the average position in the company and human resources spent some time each year to also compare these positions and their pay, to similar jobs in the industry, to make certain they were competitive. The only jobs where the employee could even give an argument for a raise or more money were the executive positions or even being given the Question, of ''... how much would you like to get paid for this position'' of which I learned to ask right back, how much are you willing to pay?? Or just gave them a figure of 20k-40k more than what I would think it would pay....

Forum List

Back