The End of the Filibuster

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
First, a little information and history:

The filibuster is a powerful legislative device in the United States Senate. Senate rules permit a senator or senators to speak for as long as they wish and on any topic they choose, unless "three-fifths of the Senators duly chosen and sworn" (usually 60 out of 100 senators) vote to bring debate to a close by invoking cloture under Senate Rule XXII. Even if a filibuster attempt is unsuccessful, the process takes floor time. Defenders call the filibuster "The Soul of the Senate." It's designed to force senators to compromise unless they have a 60 vote majority, and that is why the US Senate is referred to by some as the greatest deliberative political body in the world.

It is not part of the US Constitution, becoming theoretically possible with a change of Senate rules only in 1806, and never being used until 1837. Rarely used for much of the Senate's first two centuries, it was strengthened in the 1970s and the majority has preferred to avoid filibusters by moving to other business when a filibuster is threatened and attempts to achieve cloture have failed. As a result, this has come to mean that all major legislation (apart from budgets) effectively requires a 60% majority to pass.

Under current Senate rules, any modification or limitation of the filibuster would be a rule change that itself could be filibustered, with two-thirds of those senators present and voting (as opposed to the normal three-fifths of those sworn) needing to vote to break the filibuster.

However, under Senate precedents, a simple majority can (and has acted to) limit the practice by overruling decisions of the chair. The removal or substantial limitation of the filibuster by a simple majority, rather than a rule change, is called the constitutional option or, colloquially, the nuclear option.

On November 21, 2013, the then-Democratic-controlled Senate exercised the nuclear option, in a 52–48 vote, to require only a majority vote to end a filibuster of all executive and judicial nominees, excluding Supreme Court nominees, rather than the 3/5 of votes previously required. On April 6, 2017, the Republican-controlled Senate did the same, in a 52–48 vote, to require only a majority vote to end a filibuster of Supreme Court nominees. A 60% supermajority is still required to end filibusters on legislation.

OK, so here's the problem: IF the democrats gain control of the Senate, it is highly likely that they will do away with the filibuster entirely, thus making the Senate a simple majority rule like the House is. Which means if the President is also a Democrat and they maintain control of the House then they can pretty much do anything they want, at least until the midterms in 2022.

So what does that mean?
It means they can do whatever they want on gun control, amnesty for illegals, reparations, taxpayer funding for abortions, no southern wall, higher taxes, climate change, state and local bailouts, police reform, and the public option (Medicare For All). Plus, DC becomes the 51st state, and maybe Puerto Rico becomes #52, making it harder for the GOP to win back the WH and either chamber of Congress.

Quite a list, no? That's a lot to do in 2 years, before the midterms come up. But whose going to stop them if the filibuster is gone? Certainly not the GOP, we've seen how the Dems treat the Repubs when the Dems are in control. And any Democrat who does not vote the party line or even voices any opposition will be quickly squelched and replaced in the next primary if not sooner. Used to be such a thing as a moderate democrat; but no more. Those guys take no prisoners and will eat their own. We are talking about the beginnings of a totalitarian regime here. The Far Left will not settle for anything less.

Can't happen here? I'll be they thought the same thing in Venezuela not too long ago.

So what does that mean?
It means they can do whatever they want on [snip]

climate change
This is exactly what the 2010 Republican revolution, aka Taxed Enough Already, silent majority grassroots voter surge smackdown of the Democrats was all about.

The damning climategate emails were leaked in 2009, proving conclusively to all intelligent Americans that the Democrats' false pretense to push their pending cap&tax legislation, that would have put a massive tax on nearly everything and destroyed the economy, was nothing but a fucking hoax.

The Senate filibuster, combined with the timely leak of the climategate HAD/CRU emails and Ted Kennedy's brain cancer saved this country.

I implore everyone to think about that before you rush to judgement regarding the filibuster.

It saved our fuckin' asses.

In the House (31) democrats won districts that Trump won in 2016, they are toast in 2020.
In the Senate there are only (4) toss-ups, Collins (ME), Gardner (CO), Tillis (NC) and McSally (AZ), plus Doug Jones is toast in (AL), so the dems need to "flip" (5) seats.
I'm not seeing a democrat sweep, especially after the debates. Hell Joe won't even allow questions at his "pressers"???

Last edited:
In the House (18) democrats won districts that Trump won in 2016, they are toast in 2020.
In the Senate there are only (4) toss-ups, Collins (ME), Gardner (CO), Tillis (NC) and McSally (AZ), plus Doug Jones is toast in (AL).
I'm not seeing a democrat sweep, especially after the debates. Hell Joe won't even allow questions at his "pressers"???

Yeah, I don't know what reality you live in, but there are now 12 Senate seats in play including McConnell's and Graham's seats. Only John Cornyn is essentially a lock. Those 4 toss ups were pre-pandemic. And I was giving Doug Jones seat back to Republicans (I still am). Republicans may have five or six seats they may take back in the House but it won't be enough to take back the majority.

And Trump?? Are you kidding? At this rate, he's liable to upend the chess board and quit. :)

In the House (18) democrats won districts that Trump won in 2016, they are toast in 2020.
In the Senate there are only (4) toss-ups, Collins (ME), Gardner (CO), Tillis (NC) and McSally (AZ), plus Doug Jones is toast in (AL).

Yeah, I don't know what reality you live in, but there are now 12 Senate seats in play including McConnell's and Graham's seats. Only John Cornyn is essentially a lock. Those 4 toss ups were pre-pandemic. And I was giving Doug Jones seat back to Republicans (I still am). Republicans may have five or six seats they may take back in the House but it won't be enough to take back the majority.

And Trump?? Are you kidding? At this rate, he's liable to upend the chess board and quit. :)
OK, so they added Daines(MT) as a toss-up. That's (5) toss-ups and one "flip" in (AL). No biggie, the senate still looks safe for Republicans.

Got a link for your (12) toss-ups?

What’s that expression:

”Elections have consequences”

”Elections have consequences”

They sure as hell do, and IMHO the consequences are huge this time. The Dems aren't even trying to hide it, if they win the Senate in November and Biden beats Trump then they WILL do away with the filibuster. Ever heard the phrase "tyranny of the majority"? The Senate was set-up to give the minority at least some leverage in political deliberations, that's why the filibuster is there. Take that away and there's no restraint on the Far Left to do their worst. And they will, this nonsense about Biden being a moderate who would not allow that is bullshit. He'll do exactly what Schumer and Pelosi tell him to do. Read what Tucker Carlson had to say about this:

I don't watch him or FoxNews anymore, but damn, if this doesn't make you think twice then you don't care what happens to your kids and grandkids when this country goes right down the drain.

They need to be eliminated. You Non Progs know it. No balls for anyone to rise up and start the process of doing it.

The filibuster is a powerful legislative device in the United States Senate. Senate rules permit a senator or senators to speak for as long as they wish and on any topic they choose, unless "three-fifths of the Senators duly chosen and sworn" (usually 60 out of 100 senators) vote to bring debate to a close by invoking cloture under Senate Rule XXII. Even if a filibuster attempt is unsuccessful, the process takes floor time. Defenders call the filibuster "The Soul of the Senate." It's designed to force senators to compromise unless they have a 60 vote majority, and that is why the US Senate is referred to by some as the greatest deliberative political body in the world.

It is not part of the US Constitution, becoming theoretically possible with a change of Senate rules only in 1806, and never being used until 1837. Rarely used for much of the Senate's first two centuries, it was strengthened in the 1970s and the majority has preferred to avoid filibusters by moving to other business when a filibuster is threatened and attempts to achieve cloture have failed. As a result, this has come to mean that all major legislation (apart from budgets) effectively requires a 60% majority to pass.

Under current Senate rules, any modification or limitation of the filibuster would be a rule change that itself could be filibustered, with two-thirds of those senators present and voting (as opposed to the normal three-fifths of those sworn) needing to vote to break the filibuster.

However, under Senate precedents, a simple majority can (and has acted to) limit the practice by overruling decisions of the chair. The removal or substantial limitation of the filibuster by a simple majority, rather than a rule change, is called the constitutional option or, colloquially, the nuclear option.

On November 21, 2013, the then-Democratic-controlled Senate exercised the nuclear option, in a 52–48 vote, to require only a majority vote to end a filibuster of all executive and judicial nominees, excluding Supreme Court nominees, rather than the 3/5 of votes previously required. On April 6, 2017, the Republican-controlled Senate did the same, in a 52–48 vote, to require only a majority vote to end a filibuster of Supreme Court nominees. A 60% supermajority is still required to end filibusters on legislation.

OK, so here's the problem: IF the democrats gain control of the Senate, it is highly likely that they will do away with the filibuster entirely, thus making the Senate a simple majority rule like the House is. Which means if the President is also a Democrat and they maintain control of the House then they can pretty much do anything they want, at least until the midterms in 2022.

So what does that mean?
It means they can do whatever they want on gun control, amnesty for illegals, reparations, taxpayer funding for abortions, no southern wall, higher taxes, climate change, state and local bailouts, police reform, and the public option (Medicare For All). Plus, DC becomes the 51st state, and maybe Puerto Rico becomes #52, making it harder for the GOP to win back the WH and either chamber of Congress.

Quite a list, no? That's a lot to do in 2 years, before the midterms come up. But whose going to stop them if the filibuster is gone? Certainly not the GOP, we've seen how the Dems treat the Repubs when the Dems are in control. And any Democrat who does not vote the party line or even voices any opposition will be quickly squelched and replaced in the next primary if not sooner. Used to be such a thing as a moderate democrat; but no more. Those guys take no prisoners and will eat their own. We are talking about the beginnings of a totalitarian regime here. The Far Left will not settle for anything less.

Can't happen here? I'll be they thought the same thing in Venezuela not too long ago.

You're wrong. Rules changes cannot be filibustered; they're done with a simple majority. If Schumer chooses to do it, the filibuster is ended. There was not much stomach for it in past Congresses but it's likely for 2021. It will mean there will never be another conservative congress, supreme court, or president.

So what does that mean?

You're wrong. Rules changes cannot be filibustered; they're done with a simple majority. If Schumer chooses to do it, the filibuster is ended. There was not much stomach for it in past Congresses but it's likely for 2021. It will mean there will never be another conservative congress, supreme court, or president.

I am aware that rules changes cannot be filibustered, nor can confirmations for federal judges up to and including SCOTUS justices and also senior administration positions. So I don't know what I wrote was wrong about, maybe you can clarify. And I believe the Senate can pass certain appropriations bills with a simple majority too, perhaps as extensions.

IMHO, if Biden wins and the Dems take control of the Senate then they will certainly eliminate the filibuster in their desire to fundamentally change this country. BUT - when Obama won in 2008 and had his 60-vote majority in the Senate and also the House majority, it only lasted for 2 years until the 2010 elections when the Dems got their asses thoroughly kicked. Now, that will be harder to do because the Dems will make DC the 51st state and thereby giving them 2 more Senate seats, but if they seriously fuck it up like they did in Obama's 1st 2 years, it could still happen. So, I wouldn't say never, but there would have to be a big shift in support to the GOP to get them back in power. The Dems are great at obstructing everything when they are the minority, but they truly suck when they have to govern. And the Far Left policies they want to do will not set well with most Americans. But the GOP cannot run another Donald Trump; their candidate has to be much more likable and personable.

I'd rather they do away with the arcane "filibuster" and simply require a 2/3 vote to pass legislation. Simple majority to repeal.

Of course, that's NOT what the Democrats will be seeking. They have little interest in protecting the minority.

I'd rather they do away with the arcane "filibuster" and simply require a 2/3 vote to pass legislation. Simple majority to repeal.

Of course, that's NOT what the Democrats will be seeking. They have little interest in protecting the minority.
Good news! Joe Manchin said that the filibustrer is safe.
He will NOT vote to overturn it, requiring only 51 votes to pass legislation.
I'm hoping he switches from democrat to GOP or indy. WV is a red red state.

I wonder when he said that. I know he said that before the Democrats won both Senate seats in Georgia and will be in the majority when the Senate resumes next week, but what is he going to do when he get all kinds of pressure from Biden, Schumer, Pelosi, and every other democrat in Congress and the Media. If he stands tall on that and doesn't cave then he gets my vote as the most courageous and honorable man in Washington for sticking by his word.

I wonder when he said that. I know he said that before the Democrats won both Senate seats in Georgia and will be in the majority when the Senate resumes next week, but what is he going to do when he get all kinds of pressure from Biden, Schumer, Pelosi, and every other democrat in Congress and the Media. If he stands tall on that and doesn't cave then he gets my vote as the most courageous and honorable man in Washington for sticking by his word.

The usual excuse for ending the filibuster is that the practice makes it "impossible" to get any legislation passed. Of course that's not true. But it does put a serious damper on legislation that is only supported by one party. That's a feature, not a bug. That's the fucking point. Congress shouldn't be passing laws that half the country opposes.

Last edited:

If ANYONE puts ANY pressure on Joe Manchin all he needs to do is tell Mitch he's switching parties.
Mitch will say, just make a few wishes and they are yours, welcome home.
Joe knows he would be elected king of WV if he switched parties.

p.s. the WV governor switched parties from dem to GOP last year.

If ANYONE puts ANY pressure on Joe Manchin all he needs to do is tell Mitch he's switching parties.

And then there's Romney and Murkowski

And then there's Romney and Murkowski
Both of those RINOs will lose primaries and be bounced out.
Murkowski is up in 2022.

Forum List

Back