the devil doesn't make you do it

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
......so I was asking a ''christian''' why do some people sin and others don't......why do some '''choose''' to sin and others don't ...he said ''the devil makes them do it/the devil gets them'''....so I ask how does the devil do that to some and not others......he had nothing to say...he just walked away
..so, why do some people sin and others don't?
well, it's nature and nurture and both ......
..if there is total free will, why choose sin?? PRIESTS of all people should '''''choose'''' not to sin--but they do

Last edited:
We are born into sin, so at some point will will fall short and sin. But the worst of it is that sin enslaves

John 8:34 Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

I prefer 2 Peter 2:22 to describe what is going on describing a dog that lick back up his own vomit.

People don't want to return, but feel compelled to return to sin they disdain.

So Christ is the supernatural entity that has the power to break the chains of sin.

Jesus once gave the story of the Good Samaritan. In the story, the Samaritan finds the man dying on the side of the road, scoops him up, and takes him to someone to patch him up.

That is a more accurate perspective as to what is going on in relation to how dependent we need to be on Christ to overcome sin. If you think you can do it on your own, you will find out quickly you can't.

Evil and sin is really in the eye of the beholder. What some people think is evil may not be evil to others. There are certain things, I think we can all agree on what is evil such as murdering. But then one may ask themselves why is it ok for governments to send troops out to kill people?

A set of rules to live by is good to hold a society together and everyone should apply the golden rule but different societies, religions and civilization define themselves what a sin is according to that civilization. I don't think it is some God with a beard in the sky dictating what is right and wrong.

Evil and sin is really in the eye of the beholder. What some people think are evil are not evil to others. There are certain things, I think we can all agree on what is evil such as murdering. But then one may ask themselves why is it ok for governments to send troops out to kill people?

A set of rules to live by is good to hold a society together and everyone should apply the golden rule but different societies, religions and civilization define themselves what a sin is according to that civilization. I don't think it is some God with a beard in the sky dictating what is right and wrong.
Well if you ask Chairman Xiden if the genocide in China is wrong, he will say it is just their culture.

But if you ask him if Georgia changing their voting law is bad, his head will spend round and spew bile at you saying they are all Jim Crow bastards.

So yea, the logic of man dictates truth is relative, but at the end of the day, God knows that genocide is evil and the Georgia voting law is simply there to make cheating harder when voting. It matters little what Chairman Xiden says and will be held to account for it one day.

......so I was asking a ''christian''' why do some people sin and others don't......why do some '''choose''' to sin and others don't ...he said ''the devil makes them do it/the devil gets them'''....so I ask how does the devil do that to some and not others......he had nothing to say...he just walked away
..so, why do some people sin and others don't?
well, it's nature and nurture and both ......
..if there is total free will, why choose sin?? PRIESTS of all people should '''''choose'''' not to sin--but they do
All sin. All fall short. Let he who who says he is without sin, pass the first stone and many more. And make them big ones.

God made man evil, and man spends his whole life trying to wash that off. Unsuccessfully, I might add.

The Holocaust is the classic example of man's evil.

Those who deny evil inherit evil.

God made man evil, and man spends his whole life trying to wash that off. Unsuccessfully, I might add.
Maimonides responds...

MEN frequently think that the evils in the world are more numerous than the good things, that just isn't the case. He who thinks that he can have flesh and bones without being subject to any external influence, or any of the accidents of matter, unconsciously wishes to reconcile two opposites, viz., to be at the same time subject and not subject to change. If man were never subject to change there could be no generation: there would be one single being, but no individuals forming a species. It would be in vain to expect to see living beings formed of the blood of menstruous women and the semen virile, who will not die, will never feel pain, or will move perpetually, or will shine like the sun. Whatever is formed of any matter receives the most perfect form possible in that species of matter: in each individual case the defects are in accordance with the defects of that individual matter. The best and most perfect being that can be formed of the blood and the semen is the species of man, for as far as man's nature is known, he is living, reasonable, and mortal. It is therefore impossible that man should be free from this species of evil. You will, nevertheless, find that the evils of the above kind which befall man are very few and rare.

It must be admitted as a fact that it cannot be said of God that He directly creates evil, or He has the direct intention to produce evil; this is impossible His works are all perfectly good. He only produces existence, and all existence is good. God is perfect goodness, and that all that comes from Him is absolutely good. Consequently the true work of God is all good, since it is existence. ALL the great evils which men cause to each other because of certain intentions, desires, opinions, or religious principles, are likewise due to non-existence, because they originate in ignorance, which is absence of wisdom. The numerous evils to which individual persons are exposed are due to the defects existing in the persons themselves. We suffer from the evils which we, by our own free will, inflict on ourselves and ascribe them to God, who is far from being connected with them. Man himself is the author of this class of evils. The error of the ignorant goes so far as to say that God's power is insufficient, because He has given to this Universe the properties which they imagine cause these great evils.

Maimonides responds...

MEN frequently think that the evils in the world are more numerous than the good things, that just isn't the case. He who thinks that he can have flesh and bones without being subject to any external influence, or any of the accidents of matter, unconsciously wishes to reconcile two opposites, viz., to be at the same time subject and not subject to change. If man were never subject to change there could be no generation: there would be one single being, but no individuals forming a species. It would be in vain to expect to see living beings formed of the blood of menstruous women and the semen virile, who will not die, will never feel pain, or will move perpetually, or will shine like the sun. Whatever is formed of any matter receives the most perfect form possible in that species of matter: in each individual case the defects are in accordance with the defects of that individual matter. The best and most perfect being that can be formed of the blood and the semen is the species of man, for as far as man's nature is known, he is living, reasonable, and mortal. It is therefore impossible that man should be free from this species of evil. You will, nevertheless, find that the evils of the above kind which befall man are very few and rare.

It must be admitted as a fact that it cannot be said of God that He directly creates evil, or He has the direct intention to produce evil; this is impossible His works are all perfectly good. He only produces existence, and all existence is good. God is perfect goodness, and that all that comes from Him is absolutely good. Consequently the true work of God is all good, since it is existence. ALL the great evils which men cause to each other because of certain intentions, desires, opinions, or religious principles, are likewise due to non-existence, because they originate in ignorance, which is absence of wisdom. The numerous evils to which individual persons are exposed are due to the defects existing in the persons themselves. We suffer from the evils which we, by our own free will, inflict on ourselves and ascribe them to God, who is far from being connected with them. Man himself is the author of this class of evils. The error of the ignorant goes so far as to say that God's power is insufficient, because He has given to this Universe the properties which they imagine cause these great evils.
What's his point? It's all mumbo jumbo to me.

Maimonides responds...

You'd actually have to read it to understand his point. :rolleyes:

Maimonides responds...

Just sum it up for me, I have no idea what he's going on about. Is it all fartsmoke?

Maimonides responds...

Just sum it up for me, I have no idea what he's going on about. Is it all fartsmoke?
It must be admitted as a fact that it cannot be said of God that He directly creates evil, or He has the direct intention to produce evil; this is impossible His works are all perfectly good. He only produces existence, and all existence is good. God is perfect goodness, and that all that comes from Him is absolutely good. Consequently the true work of God is all good, since it is existence.

And you consistently and intentionally overestimate the bad and underestimate the good to rationalize your beliefs that there is no God.

Perhaps it goes back to choosing the knowledge of good and evil. Stealing, for example: It would be good if I had more. Lies: It would be good if I were seen in a better light.

Second, how well do we teach the Commandments? Christians, in particular, have this idea that Jesus did away with the law when he outright stated, "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Maimonides responds...

It must be admitted as a fact that it cannot be said of God that He directly creates evil, or He has the direct intention to produce evil; this is impossible His works are all perfectly good. He only produces existence, and all existence is good. God is perfect goodness, and that all that comes from Him is absolutely good. Consequently the true work of God is all good, since it is existence.

And you consistently and intentionally overestimate the bad and underestimate the good to rationalize your beliefs that there is no God.
No, there’s good, no problem there, but if god made everything, then the universe was hard wired for bad too, by god.

Maimonides responds...

No, there’s good, no problem there, but if god made everything, then the universe was hard wired for bad too, by god.
Bad is the absence of good, dummy.

Maimonides responds...

MEN frequently think that the evils in the world are more numerous than the good things, that just isn't the case.
The medieval jews didn't have any corner on the truth with their bizarre cruel medical instruments and practices of bondage inflicted on little boys, either.

We are born into sin, so at some point will will fall short and sin. But the worst of it is that sin enslaves

John 8:34 Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

I prefer 2 Peter 2:22 to describe what is going on describing a dog that lick back up his own vomit.

People don't want to return, but feel compelled to return to sin they disdain.

So Christ is the supernatural entity that has the power to break the chains of sin.

Jesus once gave the story of the Good Samaritan. In the story, the Samaritan finds the man dying on the side of the road, scoops him up, and takes him to someone to patch him up.

That is a more accurate perspective as to what is going on in relation to how dependent we need to be on Christ to overcome sin. If you think you can do it on your own, you will find out quickly you can't.
..so there is not total free will--yes?

Evil and sin is really in the eye of the beholder. What some people think is evil may not be evil to others. There are certain things, I think we can all agree on what is evil such as murdering. But then one may ask themselves why is it ok for governments to send troops out to kill people?

....I agree on much of what you say, except I don't think murdering is evil...I think it is humans being human ..of course it's wrong and a lot of them should get the death penalty /etc
---but then, like you say, it's in the eye of the beholder--but I'm a realist..it's not a spiritual/etc thing.....the BTK killer called it ''Factor X'', .....I think...and there are studies/etc on the '''Murder Gene'''/etc
---and, there are not only people that murder, but many more that shoot but only injure --and many more stabbings/beatings/attacks/rapes/etc --so, there is much more violence than people think--and a lot goes unreported
here it says 115,000 non-fatal shootings

Last edited:

Forum List

Back