The "Details" of Flipping Cars

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm thinking about buying and selling cars ("flipping") as a way of having some fun and making a bit of profit. Assuming I have the knowledge to find and buy the right cars, and sell them, it occurs to me that there are a lot of details and bullshit that hinder this business, or make it less profitable.

When you buy a car you have to pay the sales tax, transfer the title, register the car, get a Plate, and get it inspected. And in order to get it inspected you have to have the state minimum insurance coverages (even if you are only going to have it for a month or six weeks).

Parenthetically I will say that buying a car that is NOT inspected is one of the strategies that one can use to get a better deal on the car you are buying, so buying a car that still has most of a year remaining on its sticker might not be a good strategy.

I don't really see getting it (State) inspected as a problem, since you can't sell a car profitably unless it is inspected here anyway.

Much of this could be gotten around if I could get a Dealer's License, but that requires a lot of things that I don't have: a business location, dealer's insurance, paying a fee, and stuff like that.

Has anyone out there done this and figured out some shortcuts?

I'm thinking about buying and selling cars ("flipping") as a way of having some fun and making a bit of profit. Assuming I have the knowledge to find and buy the right cars, and sell them, it occurs to me that there are a lot of details and bullshit that hinder this business, or make it less profitable.

When you buy a car you have to pay the sales tax, transfer the title, register the car, get a Plate, and get it inspected. And in order to get it inspected you have to have the state minimum insurance coverages (even if you are only going to have it for a month or six weeks).

Parenthetically I will say that buying a car that is NOT inspected is one of the strategies that one can use to get a better deal on the car you are buying, so buying a car that still has most of a year remaining on its sticker might not be a good strategy.

I don't really see getting it (State) inspected as a problem, since you can't sell a car profitably unless it is inspected here anyway.

Much of this could be gotten around if I could get a Dealer's License, but that requires a lot of things that I don't have: a business location, dealer's insurance, paying a fee, and stuff like that.

Has anyone out there done this and figured out some shortcuts?
/—-/ If you believe anything I say, believe this: Don’t go into any business unless you have 7 years in that business. That means you worked in all aspects of that business. If you had that experience you wound asking your question on a message board. So, go get a job working for a car flipper and learn the business inside and out.

the universal axiom of any biz is good,fast, cheap

pick two, anyone offering all three is pullin' yer leg

~S~

Forum List

Back