[Thing/Game/Person] of the DECADE!!!

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Must we go through this again?

This DECADE does NOT end at the end of 2019. It ends at the end of 2020.

Consider the first decade of the Common Era. What year was it? ONE! The first decade lasted exactly ten years, from the beginning of the year ONE to the end of year TEN (NOT nine). The second decade started January 1, year 11.

The second decade of the twenty first century started on January 1, 2011, and will end on December 31, 2020. NOT 2019!

So whenever your favorite publication announces its "Person of the Decade" you have my permission to smugly sit back and laugh at them for being so stupid. This is not the end of the DECADE. A year from now, we can talk about the Thing/Person of the decade.

Consider the first decade of the Common Era. What year was it? ONE! The first decade lasted exactly ten years, from the beginning of the year ONE to the end of year TEN (NOT nine). The second decade started January 1, year 11.

The second decade of the twenty first century started on January 1, 2011, and will end on December 31, 2020. NOT 2019!

So whenever your favorite publication announces its "Person of the Decade" you have my permission to smugly sit back and laugh at them for being so stupid. This is not the end of the DECADE. A year from now, we can talk about the Thing/Person of the decade.
Why would you ever let anyone tell you who the Thing/Person of the decade is?

MATHEMATICALLY, you are correct. But who can say when anyone started actually counting "new" decades or millennia? So it's not like we are shorting any of them.

When the year turned 1800 or 1900, I have no doubt folks considered it the "new" millennium. When 1999 went to 2000, it was only natural for folks to want to start counting that the new millennium. And since in any number system, you always start at 0 and count up to 9 (base 10 / denary) before rolling over, I'm totally fine with counting millennia and decades from the year 0, so in my book, in a few days, we start the new decade. If somewhere down through the ages a decade lost a year somewhere, we can consider that "leap" decade. ;)

Last edited:

/——-/ I had great arguments with family and friends on the new millennium starting in 2001, not in 2000. I asked them to count to 10 and when they said, “1..2...3” I’d interrupt and ask, “Why did you start at 1 and not zero?”
They just shook their head.

Forum List

Back