The costs of Air Force One

Yeah... and they built the ship without testing how it could weather rough waters. They aren't sure if it will keep from capsizing in bad weather. That's kind of important for a ship.

(Let me rephrase that, they tested it on computer simulations... not real world)
You complain that they didn't build a real ship to test in rough waters but are complaining because they built a real ship to test in rough waters? WTFO?

I'm complaining because they didn't build a test version of the ship before building the final version... and instead relying on just computer simulations.
The Zumwalt is the test vessel. Also, because of a finicky Congress, the budget for the ship has been reworked several times. Try reading about the construction process then the sea trials: USS Zumwalt - Wikipedia
Zumwalt will be last....another ax rdy program........if ya cant buy ammo what good is it

Perhaps not in the current configuration, but it WILL be built.
I wouldnt bet on that..............and why ......it ads nothing an Aegis cant do......for probably twice the price or more......has waste written all over it.........and libs then whine defense is too much.....

Why not switch to 787 Dreamliner......747 is being phased out.....maintenance costs will go thru the roof...

As far as the stocks thing goes, Cramer from "Mad Money" agrees with me that Trump's tweets can affect companies that have government contracts.

"Just like United Technologies, getting on the next President's bad side could be a serious problem for Boeing," Cramer said.

Cramer says Trump's Boeing tweet just uncovered more risk to your portfolio than initially thought

Boeing WILL get the contract for the Air Force One program. It WILL be $1.7B.

As part owner of a Global 6000 I can tell you the $1.7B is a good fleet deal.

Well seeing as what is said in the article, that the only other company that can make an Air Force One plane is the Airbus company in Europe, I don't think the U.S. would trust a company outside of the U.S. to make a plane with technologies that could be shared.

Airbus is in Mobile, Alabama.

It's a French company.

Did I even suggest that? My comment was about planes sold to China.
Trump Talks to Boeing CEO About Threat to Cancel Air Force One Program

Did you hear? Boeing ceo & Trump talked. The ceo has promised to keep costs down and the importance if American jobs. Seems Boeing has a plant in China to finish planes sold to them

-

I seriously doubt the U.S. government would allow the chance for espionage by having Air Force One built in China.

Did you hear? Boeing ceo & Trump talked. The ceo has promised to keep costs down and the importance if American jobs. Seems Boeing has a plant in China to finish planes sold to them

-

I seriously doubt the U.S. government would allow the chance for espionage by having Air Force One built in China.

If you didn't suggest that, then why did you even mention that Boeing has a plant in China?

Dreamliner,,,,,more fuel efficient...more maneuverable,,,,,needs less runway, stronger airframe, very close to range of 747.....with its best days ahead of it......

It was in the article.

-

If you didn't suggest that, then why did you even mention that Boeing has a plant in China?

It initially dropped after the tweet. The President/President-elect shouldn't be making public announcements like he did that can affect the stock market. I'm not alone in saying this. So has some Congressmen.
Lemme guess, ones with "D"s after their names? LOL

I wouldnt bet on that..............and why ......it ads nothing an Aegis cant do......for probably twice the price or more......has waste written all over it.........and libs then whine defense is too much.....
Completely different classes of ships and missions.

The US Navy -- Fact File: Destroyers - DDG

DDG 51 Background:
The Arleigh Burke class (DDG 51) destroyers replaced the Charles F. Adams class (DDG 2). The Arleigh Burke class was designed with an all-new hull form, incorporating much of the Spruance class (DD 963) destroyer propulsion and machinery plant, and the integrated Aegis Weapons System (AWS) proven on the Kidd class (DD 993) destroyers and installed on the larger Ticonderoga class cruisers. AWS is composed of the SPY-1 multi-function phased array radar, advanced AAW and ASW systems, VLS, and the Tomahawk Weapon System. DDG 51 was commissioned on July 4, 1991, and the class is still in production. Over the decades the class has been continuously upgraded with advanced sensors and weapons and improved support systems.

The Arleigh Burke class employs all-steel construction and is comprised of four separate variants or "Flights". DDG 51-71 represent the original design and are designated as Flight I ships; DDG 72-78 are Flight II ships; The Flight IIA design began with DDG 79 and will continue to be built until the Flight III baseline begins, planned for incorporation on an FY16 hull. Flight III will continue the evolution of the DDG 51 class with the addition of the Air and Missile Defense Radar (SPY-6) providing improved sensitivity for long-range detection and engagement of advanced threats. The Flight III radar system requires upsized ship service generators and chiller plants.

Sixty two ships are currently operating in the fleet (DDG 51 - 112). An additional fourteen ships are in construction or under contract with shipbuilders Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) or General Dynamics Bath Iron Works (GD BIW). The future USS JOHN FINN (DDG 113) and first "restart" ship, will be the first new-construction destroyer equipped with the Baseline 9 version of the Aegis Combat System.

Like most modern U.S. surface combatants, the DDG 51 class utilizes gas turbine propulsion. Employing four General Electric LM 2500 gas turbines to produce 100,000 total shaft horsepower via a dual-shaft design, Arleigh Burke-class destroyers are capable of achieving over 30 knots in open seas.

The Flight IIA design includes the addition of the Kingfisher mine-avoidance capability, a pair of helicopter hangars which provide the ability to deploy with two organic Lamps MK III MH-60 helicopters, blast-hardened bulkheads, zonal electrical distributed system, and advanced networked systems. Additionally, DDGs 91-96 provide accommodations for the A/N WLD-1 Remote Mine-hunting System. The first Flight IIA, USS Oscar Austin (DDG 79), was commissioned in August 2000.

A complete Open Architecture computing environment is the foundation for new construction and modernized in-service ships. This upgrade plan consists of a new Multi-Mission Signal Processor to accommodate additional Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) capability and an improvement to radar performance in the littoral regions. Additional upgrades include: Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC), Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM), CIWS Blk 1B, SEWIP, and NULKA. The Arleigh Burke-class MK-41 Vertical Launching System (VLS) are upgraded to support SM-3 and newer variants of the SM missile family. Throughout their expected service life, DDG 51 destroyers will continue to provide multi-mission offensive and defensive capabilities with the added benefit of sea-based protection from the ballistic missile threat.

A DDG modernization program is underway to provide a comprehensive mid-life upgrade that will ensure the DDG 51 class will maintain mission relevance and remain an integral part of the Navy's Sea Power 21 Plan......

......Developed under the DD(X) destroyer program, the Zumwalt-class destroyer (DDG 1000) is the lead ship of a class of next-generation multi-mission surface combatants tailored for land attack and littoral dominance with capabilities that defeat current and projected threats. DDG 1000 will triple naval surface fires coverage as well as tripling capability against anti-ship cruise missiles. DDG 1000 has a 50-fold radar cross section reduction compared to current destroyers, improves strike group defense 10-fold and has 10 times the operating area in shallow water regions against mines. For today's warfighter, DDG 1000 fills an immediate and critical naval-warfare gap, meeting validated Marine Corps fire support requirements.

The multi-mission DDG 1000 is tailored for sustained operations in the littorals and land attack, and will provide independent forward presence and deterrence, support special operations forces, and operate as an integral part of joint and combined expeditionary forces. Its multi-mission design and littoral capabilities make it a 100 percent globally deployable asset to the Fleet.

Different class???? NSS.....still a piece of crap if ya cant buy the ammo...Navies fascination with the "littorals" is going to be the death of it

Air Force One aircraft, there are two, are more than big airliners with a Federal paint job. It's a flying White House with a full (but classified so don't tell Hillary!) command and control center. Most here are old enough to recall that after 9/11, President Bush flew around in Air Force One for a few days until the extent of the attack was known. While his whereabouts were relatively unknown to the public (and our enemies) he was still in full control as Commander in Chief. This type of aircraft is not cheap. Hence why, as the linked article below details, the price tag on a pair of new Air Force One's is $4B.

The inaccuracies in Donald Trump’s Air Force One tweet
.....Congress obviously would have a say in the final price tag. The Boeing 757 jet used by the secretary of state was supposed to get long-range engines but at the last moment, they were killed by then-Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska). This resulted in some cost savings — and also that the secretary of state would always have to refuel in Alaska on flights to and from Asia.

Boeing says it made no money making the last set of Air Force One jets and does not expect to make money on this order, as it is more a matter of prestige. Indeed, Boeing has already announced that it may soon end production of the 747 jet.

“Cancel the order!”

Nothing has been ordered yet. But the program could be eliminated. This may not be a problem for Trump, but certainly would affect his successors, especially if no order is placed before Boeing stops making 747s. The current aircraft were delivered in 1990, and as we noted, the life cycle is about 30 years. The Pentagon says the current fleet “faces capability gaps, rising maintenance costs, and parts obsolescence as it reaches the end of its planned 30-year life-cycle.”

Todd Harrison, a defense budget expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said “the program is very new and hardly had a chance to get started yet.” So, in effect, there are no real cost overruns yet. He added that the estimated $4 billion cost is reasonable given the requirements of the project.
One USN Aircraft carrier costs 4.5 Bil. Boeing is ripping off the US Government

The USS Gerald R. Ford cost $13 billion.

That's why bouncy houses are getting so expensive too!

Inflation.
The reason it cost so much is because they now have to make a aircraft carrier eco friendly and with LGBT engineering. Gender neutral bathroom engineering and removing urinals from the heads are really expensive. :thup:

Forum List

Back