The costs of Air Force One

Yep, Trump should just buy the next AF-1 at Walmart. That would be a great plan!
He can just let Pence take charge from the White House while he's riding around the country in his own airplane or on Amtrak.

Now compare man hrs to build a Virginia vs a 747 I for one am grateful someone recognizes an obvious con job

A blast from the past.....

‘We’re the Only Plane in the Sky’
Ari Fleischer: I’d never heard the word "decapitation attack" before, but people like Andy, who had been there during the Cold War and had the training, he knew what was going on. The training and the thinking of the military and the Secret Service is just so profoundly different, but that was the psychology and mood that took hold aboard Air Force One. There are still missiles out there and the Secret Service says to the president, “We don’t think it’s safe for you to return to Washington.”

Air Force One aircraft, there are two, are more than big airliners with a Federal paint job. It's a flying White House with a full (but classified so don't tell Hillary!) command and control center. Most here are old enough to recall that after 9/11, President Bush flew around in Air Force One for a few days until the extent of the attack was known. While his whereabouts were relatively unknown to the public (and our enemies) he was still in full control as Commander in Chief. This type of aircraft is not cheap. Hence why, as the linked article below details, the price tag on a pair of new Air Force One's is $4B.

The inaccuracies in Donald Trump’s Air Force One tweet
.....Congress obviously would have a say in the final price tag. The Boeing 757 jet used by the secretary of state was supposed to get long-range engines but at the last moment, they were killed by then-Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska). This resulted in some cost savings — and also that the secretary of state would always have to refuel in Alaska on flights to and from Asia.

Boeing says it made no money making the last set of Air Force One jets and does not expect to make money on this order, as it is more a matter of prestige. Indeed, Boeing has already announced that it may soon end production of the 747 jet.

“Cancel the order!”

Nothing has been ordered yet. But the program could be eliminated. This may not be a problem for Trump, but certainly would affect his successors, especially if no order is placed before Boeing stops making 747s. The current aircraft were delivered in 1990, and as we noted, the life cycle is about 30 years. The Pentagon says the current fleet “faces capability gaps, rising maintenance costs, and parts obsolescence as it reaches the end of its planned 30-year life-cycle.”

Todd Harrison, a defense budget expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said “the program is very new and hardly had a chance to get started yet.” So, in effect, there are no real cost overruns yet. He added that the estimated $4 billion cost is reasonable given the requirements of the project.
You're apparently old enough to have lost some of your marbles.

Bush didn't fly around for a few days after the 9/11 attack. He addressed the nation that night from the Oval Office. Or I guess it could have been from the studio where they faked the moon landings instead.

I think there is an issue at stake here that people are ignoring. Trump's tweet really hurt Boeing's stock value. He now has the power to hurt companies by making tweets like this. This is government business he shouldn't be sharing that isn't set in stone. What's to stop him from telling his buddies at Goldman Sachs to buy Boeing stock low now, and that he isn't going to really cancel the contract later? Therefor the stock goes back up and they make lots of money? There are laws against doing stuff like this.

He isnt going to cancel the contract......he simply isnt going to pay 2 billion per plane

more from the previously posted link:

Dave Wilkinson: He fought with us tooth and nail all day to go back to Washington. We basically refused to take him back. The way we look at is that by federal law, the Secret Service has to protect the president. The wishes of that person that day are secondary to what the law expects of us. Theoretically it’s not his call, it’s our call.

Eric Draper: As a group, you had Tom Gould, Andy Card, and a couple Secret Service guys saying you couldn’t return to Washington. He was visibly frustrated and very angry. I was just a few feet away, and it felt like he was looking through me. It was really intense. He just turned away in anger.

Karl Rove: Gould came in and said, “Mr. President, we don’t have a full fuel load. We’ve got too many extraneous people on board. We can’t loiter over Washington if we need to.” He suggested, let’s get to a military base, drop off the unessential personnel, fill up with fuel, and reassess. The president got the argument, but he wasn’t happy about it.

I think there is an issue at stake here that people are ignoring. Trump's tweet really hurt Boeing's stock value. He now has the power to hurt companies by making tweets like this. This is government business he shouldn't be sharing that isn't set in stone. What's to stop him from telling his buddies at Goldman Sachs to buy Boeing stock low now, and that he isn't going to really cancel the contract later? Therefor the stock goes back up and they make lots of money? There are laws against doing stuff like this.
How is a "tweet" any different from him saying it at press conference?

You're apparently old enough to have lost some of your marbles.

Bush didn't fly around for a few days after the 9/11 attack. He addressed the nation that night from the Oval Office. Or I guess it could have been from the studio where they faked the moon landings instead.
Losing my marbles due to age is a strong possibility. As it is, you are correct. After flying to both Louisiana and Nebraska, Air Force One did, indeed, return to DC.

The President's Story

I must have confused the Bush's movements with those of Cheney. Thanks for the correction.

It doesn't matter if it is in a tweet or a press conference. It will get picked up regardless. Do you know how many followers he has on Twitter? 16.9 million. His Tweets might as well be broadcast live on CNN, MSNBC, HLN, and Fox News simultaneously.

Even he knows how much influence his tweets have.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump Dec 5
If the press would cover me accurately & honorably, I would have far less reason to "tweet." Sadly, I don't know if that will ever happen!

But but but Trump's has gold plated stuff in it and it is cheaper! Fucking people don't realize you can't take a 30 year old car, get a Maaco paint job and install an expensive stereo and it is as good as a new car. AF-1 is made to help get away from attacks from fighter jets... I'd like to see Trump's plane do that.
NO, I don't really think you or any of your ilk would like to see Trumps plane do that, as you put it.

If Trump decides to use his plane instead of AF-1... and it DOES get shot down? Well, what can I say, hubris.

The Secret Service IS NOT going to let him do that.

A Virginia class sub costs 2 billion........screw Boeing.....
You didn't read the linked article, didja? :D

Fine. Hillary saved money using her own private server. Let Trump use Trump One and see what happens.
Did read the article and if you think 2 bill is fair price I've got some used cars to sell ya......

It's $1.7B for the 'program.' Keeping in mind that an 'off the shelf' 747-8 is $500M, is $1.7B overpriced for two CUSTOM 747-8's?

It doesn't matter if it is in a tweet or a press conference. It will get picked up regardless. Do you know how many followers he has on Twitter? 16.9 million. His Tweets might as well be broadcast live on CNN, MSNBC, HLN, and Fox News simultaneously.

Even he knows how much influence his tweets have.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump Dec 5
If the press would cover me accurately & honorably, I would have far less reason to "tweet." Sadly, I don't know if that will ever happen!
The point being that just because he used Twitter doesn't mean anything. Yes, the President of the United States of America has influence, even a President-elect. Even so, it's the stock shareholders who cause stocks to rise and fall, not someone commenting about them.

But but but Trump's has gold plated stuff in it and it is cheaper! Fucking people don't realize you can't take a 30 year old car, get a Maaco paint job and install an expensive stereo and it is as good as a new car. AF-1 is made to help get away from attacks from fighter jets... I'd like to see Trump's plane do that.

Still talking about stuff you know nothing about.

Nope, can't get away from fighter jets.

Forum List

Back