The costs of Air Force One

But but but Trump's has gold plated stuff in it and it is cheaper! Fucking people don't realize you can't take a 30 year old car, get a Maaco paint job and install an expensive stereo and it is as good as a new car. AF-1 is made to help get away from attacks from fighter jets... I'd like to see Trump's plane do that.

Still talking about stuff you know nothing about.

Nope, can't get away from fighter jets.
A regular 747 can't, but Air Force One seems to have some capabilities not given normal airliners. Sure, it probably can't go supersonic for long, if at all, but from the previously posted link about 9/11, even the present Air Force One seems to have some extraordinary capabilities. I have no doubt it has a defensive capability too.

This link mentions some of its unclassified capabilities: How Air Force One Works

I think there is an issue at stake here that people are ignoring. Trump's tweet really hurt Boeing's stock value. He now has the power to hurt companies by making tweets like this. This is government business he shouldn't be sharing that isn't set in stone. What's to stop him from telling his buddies at Goldman Sachs to buy Boeing stock low now, and that he isn't going to really cancel the contract later? Therefor the stock goes back up and they make lots of money? There are laws against doing stuff like this.
How is a "tweet" any different from him saying it at press conference?

It doesn't matter if it is in a tweet or a press conference. It will get picked up regardless. Do you know how many followers he has on Twitter? 16.9 million. His Tweets might as well be broadcast live on CNN, MSNBC, HLN, and Fox News simultaneously.

Even he knows how much influence his tweets have.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump Dec 5
If the press would cover me accurately & honorably, I would have far less reason to "tweet." Sadly, I don't know if that will ever happen!
The point being that just because he used Twitter doesn't mean anything. Yes, the President of the United States of America has influence, even a President-elect. Even so, it's the stock shareholders who cause stocks to rise and fall, not someone commenting about them.

You can't be serious. The stockholders are acting on the belief that the company they have money invested in is about to lose a $4 BILLION contract. Trump is the one directly to blame for that.

A Virginia class sub costs 2 billion........screw Boeing.....

The Navy's new worthless stealth ship cost $4.4 Billion. I think a few billion bucks for a state of the art plane that the President uses 50+ times a year is well worth it.

The USS Zumwalt cost is developing technology. The next time you put your eye glasses on, thank the government for developing the technology.

I think there is an issue at stake here that people are ignoring. Trump's tweet really hurt Boeing's stock value. He now has the power to hurt companies by making tweets like this. This is government business he shouldn't be sharing that isn't set in stone. What's to stop him from telling his buddies at Goldman Sachs to buy Boeing stock low now, and that he isn't going to really cancel the contract later? Therefor the stock goes back up and they make lots of money? There are laws against doing stuff like this.
How is a "tweet" any different from him saying it at press conference?

It doesn't matter if it is in a tweet or a press conference. It will get picked up regardless. Do you know how many followers he has on Twitter? 16.9 million. His Tweets might as well be broadcast live on CNN, MSNBC, HLN, and Fox News simultaneously.

Even he knows how much influence his tweets have.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump Dec 5
If the press would cover me accurately & honorably, I would have far less reason to "tweet." Sadly, I don't know if that will ever happen!
The point being that just because he used Twitter doesn't mean anything. Yes, the President of the United States of America has influence, even a President-elect. Even so, it's the stock shareholders who cause stocks to rise and fall, not someone commenting about them.

You can't be serious. The stockholders are acting on the belief that the company they have money invested in is about to lose a $4 BILLION contract. Trump is the one directly to blame for that.
Put another way, lose a contract for two airplanes. Maybe. On a contract that doesn't exist yet.

Lighten up, Lew. Smell the coffee and try to discern how the real world works. If people are panicking over a Tweet, they're idiots.

But but but Trump's has gold plated stuff in it and it is cheaper! Fucking people don't realize you can't take a 30 year old car, get a Maaco paint job and install an expensive stereo and it is as good as a new car. AF-1 is made to help get away from attacks from fighter jets... I'd like to see Trump's plane do that.

Still talking about stuff you know nothing about.

Nope, can't get away from fighter jets.

Funny when someone tells me I don't know about something... and they have no clue what they are talking about.

12.Air Force one is a military aircraft, designed to withstand an air attack. Among other things, the plane is outfitted with electronic counter measures (ECM) to jam enemy radar. The plane can also eject flares to throw heat-seeking missiles off course. Some of the most interesting parts of the plane -- its advanced avionics and defenses -- are classified

Amazing Facts About The Air Force One (official ‘plane’ Of The US President) - Science/Technology - Nigeria

The Navy's new worthless stealth ship cost $4.4 Billion. I think a few billion bucks for a state of the art plane that the President uses 50+ times a year is well worth it.

The USS Zumwalt cost is developing technology. The next time you put your eye glasses on, thank the government for developing the technology.
Agreed. New technology is always expensive and risky. When the Marines first invested in the AV-8A Harrier, it took a beating working out the bugs....and we lost both aircraft and pilots. When the Boeing 787 came out a few years ago it had some teething pains too.

Yeah... and they built the ship without testing how it could weather rough waters. They aren't sure if it will keep from capsizing in bad weather. That's kind of important for a ship.

(Let me rephrase that, they tested it on computer simulations... not real world)

Yeah... and they built the ship without testing how it could weather rough waters. They aren't sure if it will keep from capsizing in bad weather. That's kind of important for a ship.

(Let me rephrase that, they tested it on computer simulations... not real world)
You complain that they didn't build a real ship to test in rough waters but are complaining because they built a real ship to test in rough waters? WTFO?

You complain that they didn't build a real ship to test in rough waters but are complaining because they built a real ship to test in rough waters? WTFO?

I'm complaining because they didn't build a test version of the ship before building the final version... and instead relying on just computer simulations.

I'm complaining because they didn't build a test version of the ship before building the final version... and instead relying on just computer simulations.
The Zumwalt is the test vessel. Also, because of a finicky Congress, the budget for the ship has been reworked several times. Try reading about the construction process then the sea trials: USS Zumwalt - Wikipedia

Still imagining things, I see...

BA stock is just fine, been floating around $150 with or without tweet. Oh, they're hurting, really...

What's stopping you from buying BA stock right now?

Agreed: Boeing’s stock dismisses Trump’s threat after company, White House respond

Boeing Co. Investors shrugged off President-elect Donald Trump’s threat to cancel an order with the aerospace giant to build Air Force One planes, after comments by the company and the White House suggested the numbers Trump quoted didn’t add up.

Boeing’s stock BA, +1.25% inched up 8 cents, or less than 0.1%, but had been down as much as 1.4% earlier in the session.

Based on 647.9 million shares outstanding as of Sept. 30, according to the company’s third-quarter report, the stock’s gain Boeing’s market capitalization by $51.8 million, a lot better than the $1.39 billion that was lost at the stock’s intraday low of $150.02.

The stock had dropped in morning trade after Trump tweeted that an order for Boeing to build a new Air Force One should be canceled because costs had risen to over $4 billion, which would be well more than double earlier budget estimates.

That's why you have sea trials. Every ship and airplane have to be certified in real world testing.

Still imagining things, I see...

BA stock is just fine, been floating around $150 with or without tweet. Oh, they're hurting, really...

What's stopping you from buying BA stock right now?

It initially dropped after the tweet. The President/President-elect shouldn't be making public announcements like he did that can affect the stock market. I'm not alone in saying this. So has some Congressmen.

The Zumwalt is the test vessel. Also, because of a finicky Congress, the budget for the ship has been reworked several times. Try reading about the construction process then the sea trials: USS Zumwalt - Wikipedia
Zumwalt will be last....another ax rdy program........if ya cant buy ammo what good is it

As far as the stocks thing goes, Cramer from "Mad Money" agrees with me that Trump's tweets can affect companies that have government contracts.

"Just like United Technologies, getting on the next President's bad side could be a serious problem for Boeing," Cramer said.

Cramer says Trump's Boeing tweet just uncovered more risk to your portfolio than initially thought

Boeing WILL get the contract for the Air Force One program. It WILL be $1.7B.

As part owner of a Global 6000 I can tell you the $1.7B is a good fleet deal.

As far as the stocks thing goes, Cramer from "Mad Money" agrees with me that Trump's tweets can affect companies that have government contracts.

"Just like United Technologies, getting on the next President's bad side could be a serious problem for Boeing," Cramer said.

Cramer says Trump's Boeing tweet just uncovered more risk to your portfolio than initially thought

Well seeing as what is said in the article, that the only other company that can make an Air Force One plane is the Airbus company in Europe, I don't think the U.S. would trust a company outside of the U.S. to make a plane with technologies that could be shared.

Zumwalt will be last....another ax rdy program........if ya cant buy ammo what good is it

Perhaps not in the current configuration, but it WILL be built.

Well seeing as what is said in the article, that the only other company that can make an Air Force One plane is the Airbus company in Europe, I don't think the U.S. would trust a company outside of the U.S. to make a plane with technologies that could be shared.

Airbus is in Mobile, Alabama.

Forum List

Back