The Black Hole

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
It got blasted by so-called "critics" as being the worst Disney scifi movie ever made.

I liked it a lot. At the time (regardless of being Disney) I thought it was a really good concept of a scifi movie.
Although self-proclaimed "critics" still blast it into space for being "horrible"............it's become a scifi underrated classic.

What do you think? Did you like it or hate it?

A remake was in the works a few years ago, but it was scrapped several times.
The last time it was scrapped, was because the director was the same guy that had done another scifi movie, and his updated version of The Black Hole resembled his other movie too much.

I think they should just digitalize the movie, maybe replace some of the old style special effects with CGI ones and just leave it at that.

1666566320796.png

It was Disney's first PG movie.
Until then, all movies were G rated..
, as the motion picture business and tastes of the public changed in the 1970s, Disney released its first PG-rated film, The Black Hole, in 1979. The Black Cauldron, in 1985, was the first animated feature to receive a PG rating

Coming in the same era with Star Wars, any sci-fi movie likely would suffer in comparison. As a kid I liked it because it was another sci-fi movie to watch. As another poster mentioned, as I got older I noticed the things people had said about it as far as the flaws.

Coming in the same era with Star Wars, any sci-fi movie likely would suffer in comparison. As a kid I liked it because it was another sci-fi movie to watch. As another poster mentioned, as I got older I noticed the things people had said about it as far as the flaws.
By today's standards it definitely has cheese factor.
But if you want real cheesy, how about a couple of my old favorites as a kid.

Logan's Run.
Space 1999.

It was Disney's first PG movie.
Until then, all movies were G rated..
, as the motion picture business and tastes of the public changed in the 1970s, Disney released its first PG-rated film, The Black Hole, in 1979. The Black Cauldron, in 1985, was the first animated feature to receive a PG rating

Under the "Disney" name.................they had Touchstone Pictures that they had used to pander thier "adult" rated films.

Now they own pretty much 1/3 of the movie and TV industry.

By today's standards it definitely has cheese factor.
But if you want real cheesy, how about a couple of my old favorites as a kid.

Logan's Run.
Space 1999.
I liked Buck Rogers and the original Battlestar Galactica. Though it did take a bit to adjust to Lorne Greene as a space commander instead a western rancher on the Ponderosa.

I liked Buck Rogers and the original Battlestar Galactica. Though it did take a bit to adjust to Lorne Greene as a space commander instead a western rancher on the Ponderosa.

Loved Logans Run.
They wanted to reboot the movie, but they shelved it for some reason.

I continue to watch Space 1999. I watch it on Tubi right now. Many other free sites have it as well.

Yup.
Watched every episode of those too.

However in the new Battlestar Galactica the Cylons were gorgeous...
images (51).jpeg

Yup.
Watched every episode of those too.

However in the new Battlestar Galactica the Cylons were gorgeous...
View attachment 714710

Yeah, watched Buck Rogers, the original Galactica, Bionic Woman, and Knight Rider.

The rebooted Galactica was SOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOORING. I tried, but it just bored the hell out of me.
Nothing ever happened, it was all YACK YACK YACK!!!

I also watched Stargate, Red Dwarf, Alien Nation, and the original V.

Yeah, watched Buck Rogers, the original Galactica, Bionic Woman, and Knight Rider.

The rebooted Galactica was SOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOORING. I tried, but it just bored the hell out of me.
Nothing ever happened, it was all YACK YACK YACK!!!

I also watched Stargate, Red Dwarf, Alien Nation, and the original V.
The reboot was always given kudos, but I agree with you. As the CGI and graphics were greatly enhanced the action has sucked more in recent decades or is just too dark. The original would have looked great with the modern technology. It did have a deeper thinking of what happened but then became an endless torture fest of not the humans ways but of the Cylons.

So far the only sci-fi show that comes close to the realities of existing in space is The Expanse. Scientists have basically deemed it "soft" science fiction as opposed to the "hard" (suspend reality) science fiction of say Star Trek or Star Wars.
The Expanse had actual scientists writing and consulting for it and while much of it is correct they still have to take some liberties with reality to make the show work.
For my part this is not dissing the hard science fiction which I love just pointing out the general differences.

It got blasted by so-called "critics" as being the worst Disney scifi movie ever made.

I liked it a lot. At the time (regardless of being Disney) I thought it was a really good concept of a scifi movie.
Although self-proclaimed "critics" still blast it into space for being "horrible"............it's become a scifi underrated classic.

What do you think? Did you like it or hate it?

A remake was in the works a few years ago, but it was scrapped several times.
The last time it was scrapped, was because the director was the same guy that had done another scifi movie, and his updated version of The Black Hole resembled his other movie too much.

I think they should just digitalize the movie, maybe replace some of the old style special effects with CGI ones and just leave it at that.

View attachment 714643

Razistz !

Forum List

Back