The American Dream is Dead

Of course there will always be exceptions. But in general, the society doesn't allow people's hard work to lead to success. Watch the video and hear all the arguments! :)

Bullshit.....I worked at every lousy bad paying job you can think of when I was younger. Finally I decided to go into business for myself and was told the same thing you are saying. Now, I own my own business and am doing very well. BTW NONE of my 'friends' supported me...they said not to even try.....Stop being a victim.

I don't believe free college is practical or even something that should be pursued. It may be an American culture thing, but if we made college free, campuses would turn into a real-life version of Animal House.
Aid, grants, etc., are so widely available that colleges seem to be filling up with people who are nowhere near prepared to pursue a college degree. I read an article the other day which said a huge number of people entering college end up taking a lot of remedial courses. All his does is hurt the students who ARE prepared to pursue a higher education.

Listen to interviews of the many protesters on college campuses. Many of them sound incapable of putting together a coherent thought, much less articulating one.

It might be wise to consider the idea that not everyone is college material. And many people might be happier, and do better, if they enter a trade or apprenticeship program.

Taxpayer dollars should not be thrown away just so "everyone" can go to college. There are such things as jobs, too.

There are many who have a vested professional interest in convincing Americans that hard work and sacrifice no longer work.

What a horrible fucking thing to do to people who are fortunate enough to live here.

What a horrible fucking thing to do to a kid.
many who have a vested professional interest in convincing Americans that hard work and sacrifice no longer work.
Who?
/---/ Your run of the mill Democrat.

I don't believe free college is practical or even something that should be pursued. It may be an American culture thing, but if we made college free, campuses would turn into a real-life version of Animal House.
Aid, grants, etc., are so widely available that colleges seem to be filling up with people who are nowhere near prepared to pursue a college degree. I read an article the other day which said a huge number of people entering college end up taking a lot of remedial courses. All his does is hurt the students who ARE prepared to pursue a higher education.

Listen to interviews of the many protesters on college campuses. Many of them sound incapable of putting together a coherent thought, much less articulating one.

It might be wise to consider the idea that not everyone is college material. And many people might be happier, and do better, if they enter a trade or apprenticeship program.

Taxpayer dollars should not be thrown away just so "everyone" can go to college. There are such things as jobs, too.
/----/ Colleges are starting to eliminate the remedial courses. They realize they are a waste of time

About the American Dream: when was the golden age alive?
Did the American dream take care of all Americans or just some?
If I were to look it up in a history book in what section would I find it?
Is this what Trump means by "Make America Great Again" ?
Try Horatio Alger.
I did the Horatio Alger bit. I stood around street corners waiting to help a rich man and he would give me half his company in return for my help. Didn't work out that way a few called the police or had their driver mess me up a little.
Maybe follow Trump's limo and offer to fix his flats. That works out well, I hear.

Try Horatio Alger.
I did the Horatio Alger bit. I stood around street corners waiting to help a rich man and he would give me half his company in return for my help. Didn't work out that way a few called the police or had their driver mess me up a little.
Maybe follow Trump's limo and offer to fix his flats. That works out well, I hear.
/----/ What a disgusting swipe at a generous family

Madonna is not very bright and she has very limited talent but she is a millionaire, soooooo yea, there is opportunity in America....... and then there are the Kartrashians.... and Steve Colbert...and....

Try Horatio Alger.
I declare, everyone around here is drinking this afternoon.
What precisely is disgusting about what I said?

Millions of people in America are working hard simply to survive. All to the point that there's no room to invest in their future. And society doesn't help them get out of that trap. The American Dream is dead.

Anyone here who agrees?

The problem is simple.
We fund the lives of too many bottom feeders...through general welfare and or tax subsidies.

Try Horatio Alger.
/----/ if I send you three dollars will you buy a thimble full of compassion?

Try Horatio Alger.
/----/ if I send you three dollars will you buy a thimble full of compassion?
I am full of compassion for free, dear. Keep your three dollars.

Try Horatio Alger.
/----/ The Trumps donate more to charity each year than you will earn in a lifetime.,

Try Horatio Alger.
/----/ The Trumps donate more to charity each year than you will earn in a lifetime.,
So fuckin what? The reference to the Alger story reminded me of the Trump flat tire story. That's ALL. For chrissakes, let it go!

One of my mentors in life passed away back in 2004. Armando Francisco de Quesada (known as Mando) was a Cuban immigrant who came here following the revolution in 1959. He arrived in Miami with $2 in his pocket and no formal education to speak of. For five years, he worked his ass off at many unskilled jobs and saved his money. He basically taught himself to speak English and later he took a course at community college for accounting. He moved to Decatur, AL in 1967 and began working at a local restaurant as a cook and waiter. In the meantime, he got married and had a couple of kids.

So here is this guy who barely speaks English, a wife and two kids, working as a cook and barely surviving. In 1969, he and his wife sold everything they had and pooled all their resources to purchase a small business in town. It was an Italian restaurant but it wasn't really doing good business. Their family literally lived in the restaurant, he and his wife slept on the floor. He revamped all the recipes, adding his own expertise and ingredients but maintained the Italian food theme. It became Mando's Italian Food.

It was 1975 when I first met Mando. I was a young high school punk just trying to earn a few bucks. He taught me the importance of a strong work ethic. He was a tough boss but fair. He never asked me to do anything he wasn't willing to do himself. In 1977, his business won the People's Choice Award for the best Italian restaurant in the city. The Decatur Chamber of Commerce honored him in 1985 for his business contributions. His restaurant became an icon in the region for great Italian cuisine. When he retired in the early 1990s, his estimated worth was in the millions.

The American Dream happens. I've seen it happen first hand.

You have to work hard at eliminating debt. Student loan debt is a terrible problem and contributes to the feeling of hopelessness.

Exactly. In America, where capitalism has almost no regulations, people can't afford education because of debt. Compare that to countries like Sweden, that also has capitalism – but regulated capitalism – education is not only free for ALL, you actually get money each month for studying! Everyone gets a fair chance to succeed in life, if they only work hard!

There is a reason why Sweden has more dollar billioners per capita than America – and that reason is capitalism under regulations. A government that first and formost take care of the people, not the capital.
/----/ Free??? Nothing is free you naive little libtard.

One of my mentors in life passed away back in 2004. Armando Francisco de Quesada (known as Mando) was a Cuban immigrant who came here following the revolution in 1959. He arrived in Miami with $2 in his pocket and no formal education to speak of. For five years, he worked his ass off at many unskilled jobs and saved his money. He basically taught himself to speak English and later he took a course at community college for accounting. He moved to Decatur, AL in 1967 and began working at a local restaurant as a cook and waiter. In the meantime, he got married and had a couple of kids.

So here is this guy who barely speaks English, a wife and two kids, working as a cook and barely surviving. In 1969, he and his wife sold everything they had and pooled all their resources to purchase a small business in town. It was an Italian restaurant but it wasn't really doing good business. Their family literally lived in the restaurant, he and his wife slept on the floor. He revamped all the recipes, adding his own expertise and ingredients but maintained the Italian food theme. It became Mando's Italian Food.

It was 1975 when I first met Mando. I was a young high school punk just trying to earn a few bucks. He taught me the importance of a strong work ethic. He was a tough boss but fair. He never asked me to do anything he wasn't willing to do himself. In 1977, his business won the People's Choice Award for the best Italian restaurant in the city. The Decatur Chamber of Commerce honored him in 1985 for his business contributions. His restaurant became an icon in the region for great Italian cuisine. When he retired in the early 1990s, his estimated worth was in the millions.

The American Dream happens. I've seen it happen first hand.
Good story Thanks.

FREE COLLEGE just devalues higher education which already sucks because its not really higher education . See some of the 'pap' typed out by the college educated on this message board . The rise in College costs are due to college professors being paid too much money and as i said college education sucks . Plumbers , welder , and building makes more money , see President Trump . Trumps idea on Apprenticeships is the way to go imo .
I have created at least a dozen competitors over the years.

My main guy now was a cook when I hired him. He is now in charge of my main crew & capable of any task needed. He has the skill to be my competition but doesn't want my headaches. 16 years so far

Try Horatio Alger.
YUP. Klinton Fundatedsion...LOL Planned Parenthood. Pfizer. Angelic actions

Forum List

Back